HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you first become a NYR fan?

Old
09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
When I started watching hockey the Rangers were the only team.

And they still couldn't win.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I got into NYR during that amazing cup final run with JD in nets back in the 78-79 season. They even won the first finals game versus the Habs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000481979.html

But what sold me was when the rangers took the semi final series from the Islanders that year. That team sent the all star islanders home to play golf and good riddance to them, especially Billy Smith.

Those days some rangers games were on channel 9 WOR which was just great.

I later went to Stonybrook in 82 when the icelanders were in top form and all those bandwagon fans cheering a team they couldn't even name more than a player or two from. The writing was on the wall then that the team was doomed to the trash bin. Now I actually feel sorry for them which is really sweet

Looking back on it, during those days of Islander glory and living on Long Island was a real gut check. Never lost the faith in the rangers though

LGR
Wow this sounds alot like me--I remember watching the Rangers on channel 9.My first hockey game I ever saw on T.V(78-79) was the Rangers vs the Islanders--the Rangers got killed(10-5)with Doug Soetaert replacing J.D who got blown up in net.You would think that I would become an Islander fan seeing how they were the team on the rise and living on the Island but always taking the underdog roll I became a Ranger fan--go to as many games as I can and meet as many players as I can.Ranger fan for Life and hockey is the best sport in the world not only live but on T.V and of course to play.

Passing on my true love for the Rangers both my sons and daughter have become hugh Ranger fans.It has to start somewhere and where better then from parent to child as many fans have claimed.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:00 PM
chosen

As an old-timer, my story is different than most here.

When I was about 10, I happened upon a hockey game on Channel 9 on a Saturday night. I was fascinated by it. Every Saturday I would watch another game. At that time there were only 6 teams, so I got to know every roster very quickly.

For a month or two, I was a Montreal fan, because they were amazing to watch. Seeing guys like Beliveau made me understand the beauty and skill of the game.

Soon, because I saw the Rangers every week, my allegiance switched to the home team, and it was a player by the name of Phil Goyette (the closest thing we had to Beliveau) who made me appreciate that hockey had a quality about it that I had never seen before, or since.

Thank you, Phil Goyette, for making me understand that hockey could stir me like no other sport can.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

I don't really have a story. I was so young when I got into the Rangers that I actually don't remember getting into the Rangers.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
born in to it.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Ola

I was a die-hard hockey fan as a kid, and I had a aunt in NY who for every chirstmas sent a christmas present to the kids in my family. My aunt's husband's friend worked for some kind of supplier of sport merchandise and souvenirs in NY. On the condition that any merchandise was sent out of the US, my aunt basically for free could collect a big box of last year's merchandise every year. So in short, from the time I was like 5-6 years old, I was bombed with NYR merchandise and souvenirs. I easily got like 3-4 kilos of t-shirts, cups, framed pictures, small sticks and all kind of stuff like that every christmas.

A funny story is how I met a girl who was a class mate of mine up untill I was like 9 y/o. She remebered me as the guy who had diffrent NYR t-shirts on me every day for an entire school year (not quite true, but I probably had like 20-30 of them in each size at any given time).

The sad part is that I have in general done a pretty bad job at keeping and collecting everything that was given to me...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
More or less I just decided to way back in 71-72. I would have been around 15 then. I was already a Yankees, Packers, Knicks fan at that point in time. No one in my family and not many of my friends followed hockey at all. Turned on the radio (Marv Albert and Sal Messina) one night--Rangers were playing the Seals--Ratelle who was neck and neck with Esposito for the scoring lead breaks his ankle but the Rangers won anyway. That was my first game. After that I was hooked and gradually over time I stopped following the Yankees, Packers and Knicks.
I remember listening to that game too. I had been a Ranger fan for about a year. Ratelle was having a historic season in 71-72, and we knew from the broadcast that he had hurt his ankle and had come out of the game. The next morning, while getting ready for school, I tuned into the news on the radio (the sports report every 15 minutes before & after the hour was the best you could get in those days), and I learned that Ratelle was out for the season.

A more broken hearted 10 year old you would never find...

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

When I was a wee lad I fell victim to the myth that my blood is blue before it's oxygenated, then i heard the term "bleed blue" so i associated the two to mean i was naturally a Ranger fan. Keep in mind this is when I was like 5 so lay off the ****** comments.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Well, since I followed football before hockey and began rooting for the NY Jets, I decided to do myself a favor and become a Rangers fan.

And my family likes the Rangers, too.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:15 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

My uncle was a big hockey fan and would always talk about it when I was a kid growing up on Long Island in the 80s. He was very neutral so I just thought it was cool there were two teams in NY. Hockey was all over the place there then for obvious reasons so I remember a lot of back and forth between the fan bases in the streets, in stores, and I especially remember those awful "New York" road jerseys the Rangers wore.

I really started watching both teams in the late 80s and just enjoyed the Rangers more, the Garden, the jerseys, Sam and JD, Leetch, Richter, Sandstrom, Kissio, etc. so the Islanders just became the enemy especially when I pledged my allegiance in elementary school to the Rangers.

There was a lot of taunting and 1940 chants so I grew to hate their fan base more and more every day. It was great in 1990 and 1994 when the Rangers smacked them around in the playoffs.

There was one player on the Islanders I really liked though as I was a goalie growing up, so it was pretty cool when Glen Healy became the backup in 1993-94 and won a Cup with the Rangers.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Ratelleitlikeitis

Just a kid growing up in southern Ontario in the late 60's. Would go to the local variety store after school with friends to buy hockey cards at a dime a pack. Still remember some of those early Ranger cards...Nevin,Marshall,Neilson,Irvine, McGregor,Howell, era. Well, we'd play road hockey after school. My buddies were fans of the Leafs, Bruins and Habs and I wanted to cheer for someone different. Funny...the Wings were closest geographically, but even then I was never a fan. I liked the Rangers name, uni colours and style so from that point on that's the way it has been. LGR

Ratelleitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
nafsregnar27

I was a casual DRW fan before the lockout and lost interest in the sport when I became a teenager. Got back into hockey in '08 and was trying to find a new team to follow. Decided to get into the team in my area, the Kings. The first game I tuned in to watch was against the Rangers. I came away more impressed with Lundqvist than the Kings despite the Ranger loss...been a fan ever since. It's also helped that they had Gomez , won't make that mistake again.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
broadwayblue

My dad took me to my first game(s) as a kid in the early 80's. Still have the Rangers puck he bought me at MSG. He just passed away last week. Thanks for the memories dad, may you rest in peace.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:30 AM
NYRKING30

1994 thanks to my brother who recently passed away 2 months ago may he RIP. The one constant in my life that has never change or never left and will never leave is my love for the Rangers. Been Addicted ever since.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
English Ranger

I wrote a blog about falling in love with the Rangers...

http://www.sweatshoptachinardi.blogs...meone-you.html

For a soccer fan in the UK it was slightly unexpected.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

I guess I was on the Zucc bandwagon. I actually wasn't that into hockey before the 2010 Olympics, but that tournament had me hook, line and sinker.

Even though I came on the bandwagon, my love for the Rangers have stuck properly, and I noticed it when I stayed up in the middle of the night to watch games regardless if the little hobbit was playing in Hartford or in the MSG. That won't change this year either. My love for the Rangers also spawned a fondness for the G-men and the Knicks. Didn't see all this coming.

YetAnotherNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
NYR89

My Uncle was an Islanders fan.

NYR89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Miz

Whalers left and it was either between NYR or BOS. Then the wolfpack came to town and i just remembered Savard lighting it up and PJ Stock playing for Hartford and the rangers that year. Rangers have been my unhealthy obsession ever since.

Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Whalers left and it was either between NYR or BOS. Then the wolfpack came to town and i just remembered Savard lighting it up and PJ Stock playing for Hartford and the rangers that year. Rangers have been my unhealthy obsession ever since.
Oh great you had to remind me that we traded Marc Savard

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
As an old-timer, my story is different than most here.

When I was about 10, I happened upon a hockey game on Channel 9 on a Saturday night. I was fascinated by it. Every Saturday I would watch another game. At that time there were only 6 teams, so I got to know every roster very quickly.

For a month or two, I was a Montreal fan, because they were amazing to watch. Seeing guys like Beliveau made me understand the beauty and skill of the game.

Soon, because I saw the Rangers every week, my allegiance switched to the home team, and it was a player by the name of Phil Goyette (the closest thing we had to Beliveau) who made me appreciate that hockey had a quality about it that I had never seen before, or since.

Thank you, Phil Goyette, for making me understand that hockey could stir me like no other sport can.
Kind of ditto, except I always appreciated the greatness of Montreal, the same way you appreciated the Yankees; in their heyday, the class of the league. But I got into the game during mid late 60s, and then we got better.

Douglas Bradford Park and Ratelle were my heroes, along with Gilbert, and hard working Walter 'Tate-chuk' as he was originally called. Loved Eddie, Eddie, but thought Villemure was actually our better netminder most games.

I remember Ch. 9, and some of those great commercials, too: Schaefer beer; Eastern, the wings of man...

don't get me started!

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:43 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
When I started watching hockey the Rangers were the only team.

And they still couldn't win.

So I guess that was around the time Mr. Atoz made an appearance on Star Trek?

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
When I was 7 my dad took me to my first game. Afterward, we went for cheese cake. I had never experienced either until that evening and i love both very dearly to this day...

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Back in 85. Moved to NY and discovered hockey, and the Rangers. Worshiped the Beezer. Have never looked back.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:16 AM
yarre

I am a goalie-fan... I thought Richter was awesome growing up so already had a soft spot for NYR when I started following Lundqvist career in SEL and then in the NHL. The first few years I was more of a Lundqvist-fan but now it's the rangers that I like to follow, Lundqvist is a nice bonus but if he left I would still stay.

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
NYRJules

Born in 94' during the great Cup run, then was named after Kovalev. Been in love ever since....

NYRJules is offline   Reply With Quote