HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John-Michael Liles Needs to be Traded

Old
09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Burke's ego won't allow JML to be traded.
Why is that? Burke traded Beauchemin 18 months after acquiring him, Versteeg 6 months later, Lebda 1 year later, he sent Orr to the AHL and assigned Phillipe Dupuis to the AHL shortly after acquiring him.

How does Burke's ego prevent him from trading anyone?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
SpezDispenser

Why would you trade a guy who just signed with you - and loves being there to boot.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptSchenn View Post
Burke's ego won't allow JML to be traded. I like JML. He was awesome for us before he got smoked by Gaustad? Keep him. Nice cap hit too.
What is that based on?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Why is that? Burke traded Beauchemin 18 months after acquiring him, Versteeg 6 months later, Lebda 1 year later, he sent Orr to the AHL and assigned Phillipe Dupuis to the AHL shortly after acquiring him.

How does Burke's ego prevent him from trading anyone?
To be fair, none of them played that well for the Leafs.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:56 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
But that is not an ego thing, is it?

Also, they weren't very good for the Leafs but they returned Lupul, Gardiner, Franson, Percy, Leivo. So if trading JML gets us a return similar to those, I'll be very happy.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 09-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
We'll send you a second rounder for him.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Why would you trade a guy who just signed with you - and loves being there to boot.
Just my take on it:

Heading toward last years deadline, Liles was coming off a concussion and was a pending UFA, so there was no market to trade him. Burke liked the asset so re-signed him to a fair deal.

We also have a group of young defenceman similar to Liles (PMD, somewhat soft and not great defensively) who will be taking over his role in the next year or so.

So he was never, IMHO, a long term asset who would be part of our core long term. He was/is a stop gap so, if the right deal comes up, no matter when he was re-signed, he can be dealt with no regrets.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
If there's a trade to be had which will benefit the team then Burke will make the trade although I believe Liles will be around for a good little while longer. Leafs don't need to trade him, not yet.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
If there's a trade to be had which will benefit the team then Burke will make the trade although I believe Liles will be around for a good little while longer. Leafs don't need to trade him, not yet.
Gardiner will have to improve on what he was, Franson will have to prove he can be a top 4 player, and someone like Blacker will need to make an impact in order to make Liles expendable this year. Rielly may be the guy who will truly make him expendable, but who knows when he'll be ready for that.

Having a Liles/Komo 3rd pairing can shelter some younger guys, giving them tough minutes when the going gets tough.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Gardiner will have to improve on what he was, Franson will have to prove he can be a top 4 player, and someone like Blacker will need to make an impact in order to make Liles expendable this year. Rielly may be the guy who will truly make him expendable, but who knows when he'll be ready for that.

Having a Liles/Komo 3rd pairing can shelter some younger guys, giving them tough minutes when the going gets tough.
I agree, a lot will have to go right to make Liles expendable but it's not likely going to happen this year. I think he'll be a mainstay in our top 4 though.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Discussing the idea doesnt have to be stupid, blindly advocating it is however.

Even if we had the NHL-ready defensemen to replace him, and a deal that made sense in that it clearly improved the team, you have the bad management of players to deal with.

It doesnt look good on a team to resign a guy to an obvious discount and turn around a few months later and ship him out. I think that would give other players the "will the same thing happen to me, even if I play well?" mentality. As JML played fantastically for us prior to his discussion, upon his return the spiral had already begun.
You mean the ol' cheesesteak chocolate-pretzel special?

I'd rather keep him around for another year or two IMO. I'm fine sending Gunnar for more physical help though, either up front or on the blue line.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:05 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Even if we had the NHL-ready defensemen to replace him, and a deal that made sense in that it clearly improved the team, you have the bad management of players to deal with.

It doesnt look good on a team to resign a guy to an obvious discount and turn around a few months later and ship him out. I think that would give other players the "will the same thing happen to me, even if I play well?" mentality. As JML played fantastically for us prior to his discussion, upon his return the spiral had already begun.
I didn't notice too much bad blood toward the Flyers after moving Richards and Carter. But even Liles has to understand this is a rebuild and he won't be here forever.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:

Please, you're making too much sense in this thread.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Everlong
-

The OP is ridiculous. Leafs need his experience and break-out ability on the back end. He just signed a cap-friendly contract that should express management's desire to keep him around for atleast another year or two.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:55 PM
superrich

Why would the Leafs trade Liles after just re-signing him? His speed, puck moving abilities and most importantly his experience are needed. If he gets traded away, the Leafs will have another hole.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Just my take on it:

Heading toward last years deadline, Liles was coming off a concussion and was a pending UFA, so there was no market to trade him. Burke liked the asset so re-signed him to a fair deal.

We also have a group of young defenceman similar to Liles (PMD, somewhat soft and not great defensively) who will be taking over his role in the next year or so.

So he was never, IMHO, a long term asset who would be part of our core long term. He was/is a stop gap so, if the right deal comes up, no matter when he was re-signed, he can be dealt with no regrets.
You're missing a key point -- The Leafs have a crop of young defencemen which MAY be able to take over his role in a year or so. As other posters have mentioned, you'd have to have a fair bit go right this year for Liles to become expendable.

Sure, in an ideal world the combination of Gardiner/Franson are good enough to be the puckmovers on the 2nd and 3rd pairs, but that's asking both Gardiner to not have a sophmore slump, and Franson to elevate his game -- something he was unable to do last year with the Leafs. There's very little probability that Rielly is ready to play this year, so if he's going to make someone expendable, it certainly won't be until next year.

Since you're not going to break up Phaneuf-Gunnarsson, the question then becomes, Liles or Franson... and considering that the guy playing opposite that one will in the bottom 4 will be Gardiner, Toronto's probably better off with Liles. Unlike Franson, he's a proven top 4 guy capable of putting up 40+ and being reasonably reliable defensively. Of course, no youth upside, but the Leafs have that in other areas of the defence. A good team is a combination of youth and experience. Franson is likely the more desirable commodity on the trade market as well.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:56 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
You're missing a key point -- The Leafs have a crop of young defencemen which MAY be able to take over his role in a year or so. As other posters have mentioned, you'd have to have a fair bit go right this year for Liles to become expendable.
Perhaps you are referring to the 2nd post after the one of mine you quoted?

Old
09-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

How did this resurface? I remember hearing this like a month ago and it still makes no sense? We have no vets already so what do we do? Trade one of our vets who when healthy had our PP in the top 5 in the league. That is a golden idea.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:01 AM
veedubn1

I'd much rather hang onto Liles than trade him for... whatever he's worth at the moment.

He's a solid vet who can still show a thing or two to our young guys like Gardiner. I don't think it's a coincedence that the Leafs really started struggling last year after JML got that concussion.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:01 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Beuchemin and Versteeg both played well but it made sense to deal them.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Beauchemin was good. Good enough on a bad enough team he was expendable for a sick package.

Even 'Steeg verSteeg wasnt that bad

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Seriously. This thread is about 2 years too early. If he plays like he did prior to the concussion, it would be insanely stupid to move him especially at a decent cap hit.

In a few years when he's likely lost a step then..yeah, we'd want to move him. For now, Leaf fans should be pretty happy to have him.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Seriously. This thread is about 2 years too early. If he plays like he did prior to the concussion, it would be insanely stupid to move him especially at a decent cap hit.

In a few years when he's likely lost a step then..yeah, we'd want to move him. For now, Leaf fans should be pretty happy to have him.
If he plays like he did before his concussion, with a decent cap hit, you'd have to consider what is being offered for him. Much like any deal, if the offer is right, and you can adequately fill the hole, you take it.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:30 PM
frankthetank91

John-Michael Liles definately doesn't NEED to get traded, maybe on the last year of his contract when Rielly should be ready to go but definately not now.

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:57 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Perhaps you are referring to the 2nd post after the one of mine you quoted?
No, you said we have a group of young defencemen who will be taking over his role.

That's not the case. They may, but there's no guarantees with young players.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote