HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Smith, 4 years, 1.88m AAV

Old
09-06-2012, 01:41 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
When you add Cowen and BoroCop to Neil and Smith, I think we now have all the muscle we need for the foreseeable future.
But I was told by some posters on this site that losing Carkner & Konopka was akin to waiving a white flag to the league's other 29 teams... that we were ready to roll over, and become doormats.

Also: you forgot Methot. You can't have a discussion about muscle on this team without including Methot. Guy led the Blue Jackets blueline in hits a couple of times in his career already.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 09-06-2012 at 01:48 AM.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
operasen

Smith has that sandpaper style that we covet. He does need to stay out of the box. Konopka was great when he was on, but he took (to me) too many penalties that were not really necessary. Smith has some skill and I'd rather see that on display than him on display in the box.

Konopka's gone and I hope the guys we are pegging to fill his shoes understand that he was a different beast and they need to keep developing their own style.

When Smith is allowed to play, he can be very effective and score a little.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Philybrook

Itís a bit off topic but can someone explain this to me? I see that he played for the Manitoba moose in the playoffs right before he got drafted by us. How could we have drafted him if he was on a contract with the Vancouver organization?

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philybrook View Post
Itís a bit off topic but can someone explain this to me? I see that he played for the Manitoba moose in the playoffs right before he got drafted by us. How could we have drafted him if he was on a contract with the Vancouver organization?
When we drafted Smith he was twenty years old, at the conclusion of the 2008 Swift Current Bronco season he wanted to get some professional experience before the draft in which he signed an amateur agreement with the Manitoba Moose, the then Vancouver Canucks affiliate.

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

IIRC he played for the Moose on an amateur tryout contract, then re-entered the draft as an over-ager.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Philybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
When we drafted Smith he was twenty years old, at the conclusion of the 2008 Swift Current Bronco season he wanted to get some professional experience before the draft in which he signed an amateur agreement with the Manitoba Moose, the then Vancouver Canucks affiliate.
Thank you!

Philybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:37 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philybrook View Post
That's so funny! At first i thought you photoshopped it. I was thinking "NICE JOB!"

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
BK201

With the idea if salary roll backs and the team1200 yesterday expecting 15% roll back this salary really is gonna hit around 1.5 mil.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

During the regular season, Konopka's "intimidation" factor was virtually nil because he'd tend to fight a guy in the opening 5 minutes of every game.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
With the idea if salary roll backs and the team1200 yesterday expecting 15% roll back this salary really is gonna hit around 1.5 mil.
Based on this I'm a little confused by Smith and Turris wanted to sign their deals before the CBA was signed.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Based on this I'm a little confused by Smith and Turris wanted to sign their deals before the CBA was signed.
Me too tbh but they were saying on the radio they must have negotiated assuming rollbacks we're happening especially if the salary cap drops.

Also Taylor hall and eberle if 15% rollbacks happen, are really sitting closer to 5 mil than 6.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Me too tbh but they were saying on the radio they must have negotiated assuming rollbacks we're happening especially if the salary cap drops.

Also Taylor hall and eberle if 15% rollbacks happen, are really sitting closer to 5 mil than 6.
The talk of a rollback is purely speculation at this point. I haven't heard anywhere, that any of the proposals so far have had rollbacks in them. This CBA required a rollback because it was the first time they introduced a salary cap and every team was over the 39M cap that was put in place.

I would be surprised to see the buyout period be put in place again this time as well. It's not like anything radical is changing this time around. The cap may drop a bit, but nothing like in 2004.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
The talk of a rollback is purely speculation at this point. I haven't heard anywhere, that any of the proposals so far have had rollbacks in them. This CBA required a rollback because it was the first time they introduced a salary cap and every team was over the 39M cap that was put in place.

I would be surprised to see the buyout period be put in place again this time as well. It's not like anything radical is changing this time around. The cap may drop a bit, but nothing like in 2004.
For sure its all specilation, but What do you think is gonna happen to teams Like Vancouver that currently have 2 mill in cap space? Or the wild?

Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
I don't even understand why they need to do "Rollbacks". If the players main sticking point is that they signed contracts in good faith, then make the owners pay them their full contract, and artificially lower their cap hit.

Basically their hit would show up as 15% less then what it started out as, but their salary would remain the exact same. All future contracts would be signed properly and all the older ones would be grandfathered with the adjusted hits.

That way the stupid owners who paid too much still get dinged and the players still get their money. Going forwards the league would be "stable" with all the rest of the HRR hoopla.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
God Says No

Quote:
For sure its all specilation, but What do you think is gonna happen to teams Like Vancouver that currently have 2 mill in cap space? Or the wild?
i can't see the players agreeing to another roll back. they caved in last time, don't think they'll do it this time.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
lol who brought up Schaefer?

I was thinking the other day that if he centers Greening an Zibanejad next season, he could score close to 20. Two big fast guys on the Wings with skill to recover the puck for him and allow him to use his shot more

Or even better :

Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
Regin-Turris-Alfredsson
Silfverberg-Smith-Zibanejad
Greening-O'Brien-Neil
Condra

Please Lord give us a NHL season, amen.
Im liking some of these combos...This team is starting to come together nicely.

Man Im jones'in to see these guys play!!

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Or what if the cap stays the same?
What if, what if.... we're just going to have to wait and see.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Haven't you read the book "Mind Games" ?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I don't even understand why they need to do "Rollbacks". If the players main sticking point is that they signed contracts in good faith, then make the owners pay them their full contract, and artificially lower their cap hit.

Basically their hit would show up as 15% less then what it started out as, but their salary would remain the exact same. All future contracts would be signed properly and all the older ones would be grandfathered with the adjusted hits.

That way the stupid owners who paid too much still get dinged and the players still get their money. Going forwards the league would be "stable" with all the rest of the HRR hoopla.
It's so the team can get cheaper contracts in the future and current players don't loose thier jobs just so teams can be under the salary cap.

And if if other people think the cap is not going down then you need to read what the owners want. They want lower salary cap and more share of the revinew.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Yokai

Quote:
It's so the team can get cheaper contracts in the future and current players don't loose thier jobs just so teams can be under the salary cap.

And if if other people think the cap is not going down then you need to read what the owners want. They want lower salary cap and more share of the revinew.
I understand they want them to be cheaper and they need to stay below the cap. That is why I proposed that they artificially lower their cap hits instead of actually rolling them back.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
BK201

Quote:
I understand they want them to be cheaper and they need to stay below the cap. That is why I proposed that they artificially lower their cap hits instead of actually rolling them back.
O sorry I musta misunderstood I get what your saying now I don't think the owners will do that though, but it's basically they don't want to pay all the money even the owners that are currently at the cap floor

Old
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
But I was told by some posters on this site that losing Carkner & Konopka was akin to waiving a white flag to the league's other 29 teams... that we were ready to roll over, and become doormats.

Also: you forgot Methot. You can't have a discussion about muscle on this team without including Methot. Guy led the Blue Jackets blueline in hits a couple of times in his career already.
Zibanejad is not soft either, add him to the list

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Jimmy View Post
Fair points...and I certainly hope you're right. I personally don't see him as part of the core of the team, but perhaps that's just me. I really agreed with the Turris signing because I see him as part of the core (and the top 2 lines).

I remember when Peter Schaefer signed a 4 year, $8.5M deal before the 2006-07 season and most SENS fans thought he was part of the core of the team going forward...and 1-2 years later, we all wanted him out of town and he was given away for salary cap reasons. I just hope that history isn't repeating itself...but Smith is younger and grittier than Schaefer was, so perhaps you're right.
A couple of things. First, 1.88 in 2012 is different than what Schaefer got in 2006, in terms of share of the cap.

Second, I used to be like you. I really disliked the Kelly and Neil contracts when they were signed by Murray. I had the same hesitation with signing bottom 6 guys, because there are seemingly cheap replacements out in the market every summer. With that said, over time the Kelly and Neil contracts proved to be quite good.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

Quote:

This, but also because the small market teams care more about player salaries than cap hits. They want a rollback because it decreases their expenditures and could push them closer to profitability.

09-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Yokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
This, but also because the small market teams care more about player salaries than cap hits. They want a rollback because it decreases their expenditures and could push them closer to profitability.
I normally side with the owners and the league on most issues, but not on that one. I'm sure they'd love to lower expenditures and they can do that by giving out reasonable contracts from now on. There is no way the players should have to roll back their salaries. Cap problems can be fixed artificially and everything else is the fault of the respective organization. If they agreed to pay a player a certain amount then they should have to honor that.

If your boss came up to you and was like: "Yeah you know how we signed a contract saying I'd pay you X? well I'm too poor so you are only getting Y." I'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree to that.