HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus Tried to Sign Jagr

Old
09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
It wasn't Columbus, they offered $350,000 less than Dallas
I'm adding to the debate that people are saying the only reason he chose Dallas was because of money and money is his sole decision maker.

Edit:

"What does money have to do with it? Other NHL clubs offered more! It's just Dallas is ready to rely on me, promised me a spot on the top line."
Source

Last edited by Primetimey*: 09-05-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Primetimey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
gdsmack267

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Jeez, you guys are touchy. Still, I know the team was poor, but there were better options than the players who were on the ice. Pittsburgh knew what they were doing when they finished near the bottom of the league, accrue top young assets and let them grow together or find someone with money to bring in free agents. Just like Washington shortly thereafter or most recently Edmonton, there were factors that lead them to the bottom of the league, but those weren't teams who were designed to be playoff teams, those were teams who were designed to accrue good young assets.
Still missing two major factors. Pens had no money to lure anyone to the team and you cant tell me that a group of professional players are going to tank and lose on purpose just so their GM can get a better pick. If you look at any professional sport about 80-90% of teams always go thru "dark" periods. Some more often and longer then others especially if that city is in a smaller market.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Maximan89

Howson is delusional if he thinks any free agent of any value at ALL will want to sign onto that sinking ship lol. It's sad cuz Howson seems like such a nice guy but he clearly doesnt know what hes doing. Jagr probably laughed himself half to death when he saw that offer.

Maximan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximan89 View Post
Howson is delusional if he thinks any free agent of any value at ALL will want to sign onto that sinking ship lol. It's sad cuz Howson seems like such a nice guy but he clearly doesnt know what hes doing. Jagr probably laughed himself half to death when he saw that offer.
Is he not supposed to try, though? It was a solid offer no matter what. He's a legit name and he knows Jagr is a guy that will go for money. I know we harp on Howson, but this was the right move.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jagr wanted Patrick to trade him to the Rangers in 2001 but Patrick traded him to the Caps.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:48 AM
TSA0402

People are harping on Howson for trying to get a good forward?

Have you seen their forward lineup? Most cynics would say they have two top six forwards.

Prospal and Umberger.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:52 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...sign-jagr.html

This is interesting for two reasons: #1. Columbus obviously thought that their $4.2 million offer would be the highest, not imagining teams would go higher than that! and #2. It shows that Columbus isn't attempting a tank job and are trying to improve their team for this season.
I think CBJ realizes that their attendance is dropping and trying a rebuild which would take 5 years is not a real option in Columbus.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Bad luck? I would say that Fedor Tyutin, Nikita Nikitin, Vinny Prospal, Rotislav Klesla, Jakub Voracek, Jan Hejda, and David Vyborny have all been pretty effective players in Jackets' history. Also, the following Europeans are currently in the Blue Jackets' system

Artem Anisimov
Vaclav Prospal
Tim Erixon
Nikita Nikitin
Fedor Tyutin
Sergei Bobrovsky
Anton Blomqvist
Tomas Kubalik
Anton Forsberg
Maksim Mayorov
Thomas Larkin
Lukas Sedlak
Oscar Dansk
Joonas Korpisalo
Daniel Zaar
Okay, okay... I was meaning more like recent notorious Russians coming through and sullying things.

And I'm sure there are Euros in their Ranks, but their day-to-day roster is like 80% North American, sitting up there with teams like Colorado, Minny, LA and Dallas.

It's not a bad thing, just would be nice to see Jagr scoot through there, I think.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Jagr and Dubi had some great chemistry years ago, I am not suprised Columbus tried to acquire him

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Is he not supposed to try, though? It was a solid offer no matter what. He's a legit name and he knows Jagr is a guy that will go for money. I know we harp on Howson, but this was the right move.
Basically this. Howson has to show his fanbase and ownership that he's trying to do something if he wants to keep his job.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Okay, okay... I was meaning more like recent notorious Russians coming through and sullying things.
Our success rate with Canadians and Americans is probably just as bad if not worse than our success rate with Euros or Russians.

I don't see how simply Filatov, who has already failed with another org, creates a black mark on our record. Zherdev was even a good player for us, he's just an enigma who didn't want to put in the effort. Not to mention we traded him for Tyutin which has turned out pretty well.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

All they had to do was to show him the money!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
McArthur

Quote:
Bad luck? I would say that Fedor Tyutin, Nikita Nikitin, Vinny Prospal, Rotislav Klesla, Jakub Voracek, Jan Hejda, and David Vyborny have all been pretty effective players in Jackets' history. Also, the following Europeans are currently in the Blue Jackets' system

Artem Anisimov
Vaclav Prospal
Tim Erixon
Nikita Nikitin
Fedor Tyutin
Sergei Bobrovsky
Anton Blomqvist
Tomas Kubalik
Anton Forsberg
Maksim Mayorov
Thomas Larkin
Lukas Sedlak
Oscar Dansk
Joonas Korpisalo
Daniel Zaar
This is why he didn't sign there, this is why Nash didn't want to play there. The worst part is Columbus can't afford to tank.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:42 AM
McArthur

Quote:

And I'm sure there are Euros in their Ranks, but their day-to-day roster is like 80% North American, sitting up there with teams like Colorado, Minny, LA and Dallas.

It's not a bad thing, just would be nice to see Jagr scoot through there, I think.
The Czechs and the Russians and 2 entirely different breeds, just ask number 68 what happened in 19"68"

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
jh477

It would have been nice to see a Dubi/Jagr line again. Those two had some great chemistry on the ice in NY.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Huh? Thank goodness for the "Misconception Clear-Up Police" in this thread. Feel free to confess your reliance on outdated talking points.

Quote:
Did you miss this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
You do know that Columbus has more Russian players than any other team in the NHL, right?
To the topic at hand -- I'll admit this is interesting and, as a Pittsburgh native and longtime Pens fan it would have been kinda cool to root for him on my home team again.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 09-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

I was just starting to get used to Jagr in a Flyers jersey. Seeing him in a Stars jersey will be weird enough, I think it would look too weird to see him in a BJs jersey though...

Good on Howson for trying!

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:46 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I actually had no idea Craig Patrick was working for CBJ.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I actually had no idea Craig Patrick was working for CBJ.
He has been a senior advisor to Howson for a while now.

The debate about him centers on how much input he actually has and if he was actually a good GM in Pittsburgh or just luckily bad at the right times.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that. Anyone who saw Pittsburgh in the early part of last decade knows that was a team that was not built to win right away.
Pitt has a long history of tanking to draft big players.

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
This is why he didn't sign there, this is why Nash didn't want to play there. The worst part is Columbus can't afford to tank.
I don't quite understand which part of my post is why he didn't want to sign in Columbus. Because we have Europeans in the system? Because Jan Hejda and David Vyborny have been Blue Jackets?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
rockinghockey

I like CBJ's dmen it is just their goalies that I have no faith in.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Did Jagr not say other teams offered him more money than Dallas but he chose to go with the Stars? I remember him saying that in an interview.
Jagr is also full of ****. So there's that.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Of course they are. Teams really don't go into a season planning to tank.
It's one of the biggest myths on HF. People don't realize, GM's/coaches jobs are on the line 365 days a year and if you finish last, people can and alot of times will lose their job. Not only that but even with number 1 picks, it might take a few years before they are really good. No guarentee you will still be with that team.

Plus, who would WANT to finish last?

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote