HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Brian Burke a Genius, or did he just get lucky?

Old
09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Many teams have cap space next year , but i don't understand how some people think our cap space next year will help us take advantage of cap strapped teams this year .
We have cap space AND money.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
This is my year!

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Boom! Exactly! We may be 15th 20th or 21st, whatever. But let's take out those teams that have never spent close to the cap, and probably never will.

The Leafs are a max cap club. For us to have any flexibility at all is in past years if something like this happened we'd be hooped.

1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:16 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Well said in few words.

Not to mention Burke holding off pulling the trigger, and over spending during the UFA bonaza being that the current CBA was going to run out and change the landscape once again. I have no idea why certain GM's went out and spent a crazy amount when they had no idea exactly what the new agreement would bring. Look at Minny now...they are in it deep ! Not only did they sign one big UFA to a big money long term deal they signed 2 ! So now what? With the new CBA (though not ironed out yet), they are going to have a fire sale to get under then cap, and operate within the new CBA structure. It is teams like this that Burke will be able to swindle, and take advantage of. Certain teams will have to do just what Minny will have to do, and that is trade cause for a lot less in return (then ever though possible). Burke is a business genius. If one thing anyone here should know it is; you dont spend before you know all the details...in the case of some teams this off-season they spent not knowing what was going to happen with the CBA (the details).

In fact CrazeeEddie can vouch, that I mentioned in a seperate conversation, way earlier in the year, that Burke maybe waiting and not doing anything big until the CBA is worked out. When that does happen he will pounce reminiscent of Felix "The Cat" Potvin on teams that over-spent this UFA off-season, and not only those teams, but teams with too many highly paid talent that they cant afford. Those teams tried to beat the cap and they did in the old CBA but I think this one will be much different, and the owners will try and iron out every flaw that GM's took advantage of. Once this happens its going to be mayhem for a lot of teams...and an early Christmas for others..and for some a Happy Hanukah !

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Well said in few words.

Not to mention Burke holding off pulling the trigger, and over spending during the UFA bonaza being that the current CBA was going to run out and change the landscape once again. I have no idea why certain GM's went out and spent a crazy amount when they had no idea exactly what the new agreement would bring. Look at Minny now...they are in it deep ! Not only did they sign one big UFA to a big money long term deal they signed 2 ! So now what? With the new CBA (though not ironed out yet), they are going to have a fire sale to get under then cap, and operate within the new CBA structure. It is teams like this that Burke will be able to swindle, and take advantage of. Certain teams will have to do just what Minny will have to do, and that is trade cause for a lot less in return (then ever though possible). Burke is a business genius. If one thing anyone here should know it is; you dont spend before you know all the details...in the case of some teams this off-season they spent not knowing what was going to happen with the CBA (the details).

In fact CrazeeEddie can vouch, that I mentioned in a seperate conversation, way earlier in the year, that Burke maybe waiting and not doing anything big until the CBA is worked out. When that does happen he will pounce reminiscent of Felix "The Cat" Potvin on teams that over-spent this UFA off-season, and not only those teams, but teams with too many highly paid talent that they cant afford. Those teams tried to beat the cap and they did in the old CBA but I think this one will be much different, and the owners will try and iron out every flaw that GM's took advantage of. Once this happens its going to be mayhem for a lot of teams...and an early Christmas for others..and for some a Happy Hanukah !
I think even if the landscape doesn't change all that drastically, Burke has something up his sleeve. It does make sense to find out what the rules are first.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Well said in few words.

And do you think T.O. is in a position to reap the benefits of a new CBA? From what I hear a reset salary cap would be around 62 million (a number which the Toronto Maple Leafs are currently sitting) and there'll be 1 amnesty Buyout of a contract (Komisarek) 4,5 million at which point the maple leafs can add 1 or two players... not really a great advantage to the blue and white... in any universe Burke has wiggled himself into a corner.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:58 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
I think even if the landscape doesn't change all that drastically, Burke has something up his sleeve. It does make sense to find out what the rules are first.
Thats why he loosens his tie deadline and draft day....lol

Agreed

I have been waiting for that big deal, that hasnt come but have realised it is hinging on the CBA. He will have to do some shuffling around and buyout a couple guys first OR trade them for a bigger player we would normally not get with the guys availble for us to buyout

Old
09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And do you think T.O. is in a position to reap the benefits of a new CBA? From what I hear a reset salary cap would be around 62 million (a number which the Toronto Maple Leafs are currently sitting) and there'll be 1 amnesty Buyout of a contract (Komisarek) 4,5 million at which point the maple leafs can add 1 or two players... not really a great advantage to the blue and white... in any universe Burke has wiggled himself into a corner.
Think man !

How are we in a corner? We are at the cap...ok fine big deal. What bout trading those players instead of buying them out? Burke made no big UFA signings for a reason. Burke and Loiselle also said that players maybe availble that no one would think were...I wonder why that could be? It doesnt mean that is past tenths, it could have meant after the CBA was set there would be teams in diar straits. Those teams are going to have fire sales, on players that normally wouldnt be traded because of the value being set to high. Look at the Wild, there is a huge mess ! What about NYR? They have Nash added to the puzzle now...you think we are in a corner? I say we are in the land of opportunity, like a predator ambushes its prey...Burke will strike like a cobra when the time is just right

Old
09-06-2012, 08:09 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Who says there will be one? Who says there will be any?

Burke has pieces he can move. He has waivers he can use. The point is, right nOw, he is in good shape for this season and next.

There are many teams that will be in real trouble should the cap go down.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
paulster2626

Quote:
Again here is more judgement based on rumours of a CBA that doesn't yet exist. Burke has once again lost before he's even allowed out of the starting gate.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Who says there will be one? Who says there will be any?

Burke has pieces he can move. He has waivers he can use. The point is, right nOw, he is in good shape for this season and next.

There are many teams that will be in real trouble should the cap go down.
Again...you type same as me but less...is that really surprising tho lol

Old
09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Again here is more judgement based on rumours of a CBA that doesn't yet exist. Burke has once again lost before he's even allowed out of the starting gate.
True, but it goes both ways...there are those predicting Toronto is sitting pretty and well positioned with a new CBA before the exact details of a new CBA are s to be fined.

Really, I don't anticipate a drastic shift in the economic landscape like the last time. I see a reduced salary cap, no salary rollback and 1 amnesty buyout...if you think it's going to be so much better for the owners, then I just don't agree.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
jrgtml67

Quote:
True, but it goes both ways...there are those predicting Toronto is sitting pretty and well positioned with a new CBA before the exact details of a new CBA are s to be fined.

Really, I don't anticipate a drastic shift in the economic landscape like the last time. I see a reduced salary cap, no salary rollback and 1 amnesty buyout...if you think it's going to be so much better for the owners, then I just don't agree.
You forgot a cap on contract length to avoid teams doing 13yr 98million dollar deals.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:41 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Where the teams sit.

Contracts are the number of players under contract next year.
Listed: Alphabetically, by number of contracts, and by Cap space.

TeamContractsCap Space MillionsTeamContractsCap SpaceTeamContractsCap Space
Anaheim1141Winnipeg842Dallas1342
Boston1329Phoenix942Phoenix942
Buffalo1323Nashville1030Winnipeg842
Calgary1422Washington1033Anaheim1141
Carolina1420Anaheim1141NY Islanders1140
Chicago1713NY Islanders1140New Jersey1338
Colorado1921St. Louis1238St. Louis1238
Columbus1427Toronto1229Washington1033
Dallas1342Vancouver1219Ottawa1331
Detroit1329Boston1329Nashville1030
Edmonton1422Buffalo1323Boston1329
Florida1328Dallas1342Detroit1329
Los Angeles1321Detroit1329Toronto1229
Minnesota1619Florida1328Florida1328
Montreal1610Los Angeles1321Columbus1427
Nashville1030New Jersey1338Buffalo1323
New Jersey1338Ottawa1331Calgary1422
NY Islanders1140Calgary1422Edmonton1422
NY Rangers1618Carolina1420Colorado1921
Ottawa1331Columbus1427Los Angeles1321
Philadelphia1613Edmonton1422Carolina1420
Phoenix942San Jose1416Minnesota1619
Pittsburgh1518Pittsburgh1518Vancouver1219
San Jose1416Tampa1513NY Rangers1618
St. Louis1238Minnesota1619Pittsburgh1518
Tampa1513Montreal1610San Jose1416
Toronto1229NY Rangers1618Chicago1713
Vancouver1219Philadelphia1613Philadelphia1613
Washington1033Chicago1713Tampa1513
Winnipeg842Colorado1921Montreal1610

PlayerPosTeamAgeCap HitExpiryStatus
Iginla,JaromeRCGY35$7,000,0002013(UFA)
Semin,AlexanderRCAR28$7,000,0002013(UFA)
Timonen,KimmoDPHI37$6,333,3332013(UFA)
Elias,PatrikCNJD36$6,000,0002013(UFA)
Backstrom,NiklasGMIN34$6,000,0002013(UFA)
Visnovsky,LubomirDNYI36$5,600,0002013(UFA)
Gonchar,SergeiDOTT38$5,500,0002013(UFA)
Perry,CoreyRANA27$5,325,0002013(UFA)
Getzlaf,RyanCANA27$5,325,0002013(UFA)
Ribeiro,MikeCWAS32$5,000,0002013(UFA)
Thomas,TimGBOS38$5,000,0002013(UFA)
Alfredsson,DanielROTT39$4,875,0002013(UFA)
Connolly,TimCTOR31$4,750,0002013(UFA)
McDonald,AndyCSTL35$4,700,0002013(UFA)
Jagr,JaromirRDAL40$4,550,0002013(UFA)
Selanne,TeemuRANA42$4,500,0002013(UFA)
Hainsey,RonDWIN31$4,500,0002013(UFA)
Lupul,JoffreyLTOR28$4,250,0002013(UFA)
Morrow,BrendenLDAL33$4,100,0002013(UFA)
Streit,MarkDNYI34$4,100,0002013(UFA)
Bouchard,Pierre-MarcRMIN28$4,080,0002013(UFA)
Antropov,NikCWIN32$4,062,5002013(UFA)

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

There are also those saying that should it all stay the same, we are still good.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
paulster2626

Quote:

It doesn't go both ways though. We can already see what will happen based on looking at all of the possible outcomes. By not flexing the "big blue" muscle and spending to the cap like a drunken sailor, he's left the Leafs with some wiggle room no matter what happens.

Cap goes waaaay down - some flexibility.
Cap goes down a bit - more flexibility.
Cap stays the same - lots of flexibility.

This argument that because there are other teams with more cap space means Burke is automatically a failing goat is ridiculous. Just because there are other teams in the same (or better) position doesn't mean Burke failed. More than one team can have some foresight and plan accordingly. More than one team can have a GM making a sound decision.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
It doesn't go both ways though. We can already see what will happen based on looking at all of the possible outcomes. By not flexing the "big blue" muscle and spending to the cap like a drunken sailor, he's left the Leafs with some wiggle room no matter what happens.

Cap goes waaaay down - some flexibility.
Cap goes down a bit - more flexibility.
Cap stays the same - lots of flexibility.

This argument that because there are other teams with more cap space means Burke is automatically a failing goat is ridiculous. Just because there are other teams in the same (or better) position doesn't mean Burke failed. More than one team can have some foresight and plan accordingly. More than one team can have a GM making a sound decision.
I get your argument..but I'm not buying what you are selling. We shall see how it all unfolds.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
achtungbaby

If the plan was to have cap flexibility for the new CBA then we should have planned our cap space for this offseason, not the next one. And even if we had 50 million in cap space we still have to get players to come here. Preferably good ones and not the Connolly or the Armstrong type variety either.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
So we can say that there are other smart GM's out there, some smarter, some not as smart, based on the Cap space reality.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
If the plan was to have cap flexibility for the new CBA then we should have planned our cap space for this offseason, not the next one. And even if we had 50 million in cap space we still have to get players to come here. Preferably good ones and not the Connolly or the Armstrong type variety either.
Unless Burke trades for these superstar players that will dramatically improve this team...what difference does it make as compared to any other UFA season? The defense for Burke is that he only controls his part of the bargaining and that if elite players don't want to come to Toronto (which is very apparent) because of a variety of reasons including Canadian taxation, media, fanatical obsession, poor hockey team, weather...etc.. etc....I don't really see how having even 50M of cap space is going to help. Unless fans believe that Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry are going to be traded for the likes of Matt Lombardi, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly. That is a pipe dream at best. Who says the best bud is in BC

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Leafs problem is that they don't currently posses the player(s) worthy to spend the money/cap on.

Other teams are locking up their key/core players to long term contracts and utilizing their cap space, thus having less cap to spend on others.

Which is the more ideal situation, having good players and spending your money on them or needing good players in order to spend your cap space?.

09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Unless Burke trades for these superstar players that will dramatically improve this team...what difference does it make as compared to any other UFA season? The defense for Burke is that he only controls his part of the bargaining and that if elite players don't want to come to Toronto (which is very apparent) because of a variety of reasons including Canadian taxation, media, fanatical obsession, poor hockey team, weather...etc.. etc....I don't really see how having even 50M of cap space is going to help. Unless fans believe that Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry are going to be traded for the likes of Matt Lombardi, Mike Komisarek and Tim Connolly. That is a pipe dream at best. Who says the best bud is in BC
Took the words right out of my mouth. Even if we had 50 mil in cap space - people do need to realize we'd have to spend it on players that actually want to come here. Burke can't waive a magic wand and make top stars want to sign with us. If we were a playoff team - then maybe he could persuade a few stars, but at this point and time..
no chance in hell....

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs problem is that they don't currently posses the player(s) worthy to spend the money/cap on.

Other teams are locking up their key/core players to long term contracts and utilizing their cap space, thus having less cap to spend on others.

Which is the more ideal situation, having good players and spending your money on them or needing good players in order to spend your cap space?.
Exactly!

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. Even if we had 50 mil in cap space - people do need to realize we'd have to spend it on players that actually want to come here. Burke can't waive a magic wand and make top stars want to sign with us. If we were a playoff team - then maybe he could persuade a few stars, but at this point and time..
no chance in hell....
What makes it even worse for Leaf nation is that despite MLSE having all the $money$ in the World to spend on players, their own GM refuses to hand out these types of long-term contracts to attract prized UFA's.

This to the point he is even trying to get the rules changed in the next CBA, which in part is leading to a delay in a new agreement and a likely pending lockout, and at the end its probably not even going to come to pass, as there are bigger issues like % cut of the revenue pie that Owners want more than reducing contract lengths.

So even if Perry and Getzlaf hit the market next summer and teams are lining up to give them 12-15 year deals at top dollar, and Leafs GM comes in with his self imposed 5-6 year deal at the same $$. What are the odds key UFAs are going to leave 6-10 years term on the table of guaranteed money to pick Toronto as their destination. Not much good our free cap space is going to do us now !!!!

We have even just recently witnessed Rick Nash and local Ontario kid, snub Leafs refusing to waive his NMC to come home. Luongo is going public saying he wants to go to Florida as his preferred choice.. Brad Richards used the Leafs simply as a negotiating tool in order to land his NYR contract. Players don't want to come to Toronto because of the current situation, which longest non playoff streak is not helping. Not much good our free cap space is going to do us now, here either !!!!

Bottom line: What we're actually heading towards as we reach the end of Season 5 of the current rebuild process, is very few players under contract, and very few players to spend it on internally.. To me that looks more like a starting point of a rebuild process (a reset if you prefer), than one about to take a team out of a long one, and into cup competitiveness, when we enter season 6.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:18 AM
paulster2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
What makes it even worse for Leaf nation is that despite MLSE having all the $money$ in the World to spend on players, their own GM refuses to hand out these types of long-term contracts to attract prized UFA's.

This to the point he is even trying to get the rules changed in the next CBA, which in part is leading to a delay in a new agreement and a likely pending lockout, and at the end its probably not even going to come to pass, as there are bigger issues like % cut of the revenue pie that Owners want more than reducing contract lengths.

So even if Perry and Getzlaf hit the market next summer and teams are lining up to give them 12-15 year deals at top dollar, and Leafs GM comes in with his self imposed 5-6 year deal at the same $$. What are the odds key UFAs are going to leave 6-10 years term on the table of guaranteed money to pick Toronto as their destination. Not much good our free cap space is going to do us now !!!!

We have even just recently witnessed Rick Nash and local Ontario kid, snub Leafs refusing to waive his NMC to come home. Luongo is going public saying he wants to go to Florida as his preferred choice.. Brad Richards used the Leafs simply as a negotiating tool in order to land his NYR contract. Players don't want to come to Toronto because of the current situation, which longest non playoff streak is not helping. Not much good our free cap space is going to do us now, here either !!!!

Bottom line: What we're actually heading towards as we reach the end of Season 5 of the current rebuild process, is very few players under contract, and very few players to spend it on internally.. To me that looks more like a starting point of a rebuild process (a reset if you prefer), than one about to take a team out of a long one, and into cup competitiveness, when we enter season 6.
What makes you think Burke wanted that Nash contract in the first place? Had he made that trade you'd be spouting off how Burke has handcuffed the franchise yet again trading futures and cap space for an overrated winger.

There are more teams in the NHL without players signed to long-term contracts, you know. Burke isn't alone in his apprehension to commit to insane salaries and terms.

Do you have to actually try to be this pessimistic, or does it just come naturally?

Old
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
What makes you think Burke wanted that Nash contract in the first place? Had he made that trade you'd be spouting off how Burke has handcuffed the franchise yet again trading futures and cap space for an overrated winger.

There are more teams in the NHL without players signed to long-term contracts, you know. Burke isn't alone in his apprehension to commit to insane salaries and terms.

Do you have to actually try to be this pessimistic, or does it just come naturally?
Burke met with Howson in NYC at the trade deadline.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote