HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Detroit Red Wings Prospect #20

View Poll Results: Who is #20
Andreas Athanasiou 21 34.43%
Mitchell Callahan 5 8.20%
Brian Lashoff 6 9.84%
Ben Marshall 0 0%
Michael McKee 0 0%
Richard Nedomlel 4 6.56%
Andrej Nestrasil 4 6.56%
Max Nicastro 0 0%
Jake Paterson 1 1.64%
Alan Quine 20 32.79%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I think it holds weight pretty well, the guy got drafted because he had a hot half of a season, and Osgood saw him a few times and liked him. I mean that's not really much to hang your hat on.
It's no less to hang your hat on than with Athanasiou. Teams scout players, teams like players, teams draft players. Fin. And really, we don't know all the reasons the Wings drafted Paterson. The hot second half and Osgood scouting him were reported. But we don't know the rest of the story, in terms of what the Wings see.

Quote:
Then factor in that drafting goalies is a crap shoot probably more so than any other position, and it's hard to justify rating one who was just drafted over other skaters.
Nah, it's not hard. We're down into the 20s in these polls. All these guys are crap shoots at this point. And I'm only talking about ranking him over a skater from his own draft class, from 3 months ago. Not over other skaters who have had a chance to establish themselves more.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Draft order isn't the be all and end all.
Marchenko, for example, was a 7th rounder in part, because he's Russian, and Russians are undervalued in the draft.
I agree it's not the be all, end all. And point taken on the Russian example (though I don't think it's because they are undervalued, I think it's more because they are more of a flight risk, but that's another discussion), there are exceptions to every rule. However, in this circumstance, with Athanasiou vs Paterson, I contend that draft position holds serve. Now if 3 months from now Paterson is bombing and Athanasiou is putting up crazy points, by all means, bury Paterson behind him. Too early to do so at this point though, imo.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
. And I'm only talking about ranking him over a skater from his own draft class, from 3 months ago. Not over other skaters who have had a chance to establish themselves more.
I'm in favor of placing Quine over both, but I can see your point.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Looks like Quine had a decent off-season in the weight room. Now listed at 5'11" 188lbs. on his teams website. That means after this season he should turn pro ready to go from that standpoint. With his frame I could see him getting to 200 lbs, guess I will have to wait and see him again this year, but was amazed at how thin he looked at 180 last season and figured he could add a lot onto his frame.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Starting on putting up 21, have it up shortly.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote