HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which teams have a dman available and which teams would want him?

Old
09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Jerzey Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk View Post
Harri Pesonen is a left winger
Whoops. Good call, my bad.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:44 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
PUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhAA. What else would you include to get a top pair D to Paajarvi, Yakupov? Please. Sekera would instantly become your best defenseman.
I don't agree with that, I would take Smid, Petry, and both Schultz.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Depending on the outcome, the Isles could be in need of one. I think Rozival as a free agent would be an option and depending on price Ballard would be a logical trade option; but again that would be contingent on price.
How about Grabner and a 1st? ;-)

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
PUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhAA. What else would you include to get a top pair D to Paajarvi, Yakupov? Please. Sekera would instantly become your best defenseman.
Your honestly telling me that Sekera is better then Smid, Whitney, Petry, and N.Schultz.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Your honestly telling me that Sekera is better then Smid, Whitney, Petry, and N.Schultz.
Such solid defensemen that they got Edmonton in the bottom third of the league in GA/G.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:30 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

He's essentially as effective as Smid if not more so, while replacing the latter's physical game with a more positional one revolving around Rej's absurd skating ability. And he isn't soft. He'll take hits to make plays and takes the body when it's convenient.

Either Schultz doesn't factor into the conversation, and it's been a season and a half since we've seen anything from Whitney.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Caniac125330

Carolina could use a shutdown d. I'd love to get Murray from the sharks, anyone know what it would take.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Not Smid. But the rest yes he is.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:33 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac125330 View Post
Carolina could use a shutdown d. I'd love to get Murray from the sharks, anyone know what it would take.
And I'd love to get Jokinen from the Canes. What do you want?

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Depending on the outcome, the Isles could be in need of one. I think Rozival as a free agent would be an option and depending on price Ballard would be a logical trade option; but again that would be contingent on price.
He'll be an Islander..don't worry.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Kaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not Smid. But the rest yes he is.
Depends whether or not Whitney returns to his pre-injury ability. If he does he is far better than Sekera. Smid and Sekera are pretty even, though I take Smid because he's more physical.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the way most Oilers fans talk about their DMen, you'd think they were perennial contenders

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:19 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
He'll be an Islander..don't worry.
You're probably right but I wouldn't mind adding Rozival for depth even if we get Lubo.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
You clearly have never even seen Sekera play since you think he's a PMD and are arguing that Nick SCHULTZ is better than him.

By your definition of soft, RNH is soft. Eberle is soft. Gagner is soft.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:36 AM
bernmeister

Rangers have enough quality D to get by, no extra to spare now, decent to excellent prospects in the pipe, are looking for depth, but more upgrade.

This has not stopped me, in the minority w/my Ranger brethren, from suggesting we trade one (not McDonagh) for another sniper w/o issues. However, that has to be a premium player w/sniper ability.

Lesser deals can be explored. There seems to be a roughly 50-50 split w/Hawks fans, for example about something like Brian Boyle + for Dylan Olsen +.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
the way most Oilers fans talk about their DMen, you'd think they were perennial contenders
Not at all. We just have no interest in moving pieces that could be significant roleplayers in the future for D that really don't push any of our own prospects down the lines. Sekera would be on the third pairing in Edmonton due to what's currently there. Could he be better in a couple years...yeah. Could J. Schultz end up better than Sekera in a few years...it's possible. Whitney with N. Schultz on paper is a good pairing and will depend on Whitneys health; Smid/Petry was our best pairing last year and is unlikely to be broken up given how well they played against a level of competition Petry should not have been playing against so early.

Edmonton would rather role the dice with what we have than pick up Sekera, Komisarek, Franson, or any of the other currently 5-6 D being offered to us for the prices being asked. If it was a legit upgrade certainly, but nobody is really offering those D-men this year.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Brian28

Quote:
You clearly have never even seen Sekera play since you think he's a PMD and are arguing that Nick SCHULTZ is better than him.

By your definition of soft, RNH is soft. Eberle is soft. Gagner is soft.
I do think that's what he meant when he said soft D. Most offensive types aren't overly physical and will appear soft (our own history with Tom Gilbert is a perfect example of a soft offensive type). Sekera is a good D just not what Edmonton needs with the prospects we currently have. Just not a good fit for what it would cost as he wouldn't plug the number 1 D hole and that's really what we need to package players and picks for.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Not at all. We just have no interest in moving pieces that could be significant roleplayers in the future for D that really don't push any of our own prospects down the lines. Sekera would be on the third pairing in Edmonton due to what's currently there. Could he be better in a couple years...yeah. Could J. Schultz end up better than Sekera in a few years...it's possible. Whitney with N. Schultz on paper is a good pairing and will depend on Whitneys health; Smid/Petry was our best pairing last year and is unlikely to be broken up given how well they played against a level of competition Petry should not have been playing against so early.

Edmonton would rather role the dice with what we have than pick up Sekera, Komisarek, Franson, or any of the other currently 5-6 D being offered to us for the prices being asked. If it was a legit upgrade certainly, but nobody is really offering those D-men this year.
Sekera is not a 5-6 D. You're sadly ill-informed if you actually beleive that.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
rockinghockey

I dont think EDM's dmen are tops, obviously from how theyplayed last year. After EDM traded Gilbert for Schultz thedmen actually played better. Petry and Smid were shutting down the other teams top lines. It really hurt not having Whitney. Smid, Petry, Schultz are a solid 3 players that are top 4 dmen. The signing of Schultz gives us another young player that we are hoping will be a top 2 dmen in a few years. Whitney needs to turn it around.

We need our dmen to stay healthy, that will solve some problems.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Frodo Baggins

well this is dumb. nobody actually knows which players are available.

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Yea we should take 3rd pairing dmen like Volchenkov or Franson and give up blue chip prospects or one of the big 4 that every thread on HF breaks down into.

HF: "No one wants MPS or Gagner, one of the big 4 durr."
Oiler fans: "3rd pairing dmen arent worth one of the big 4."
HF: "Enjoy being last again ahahah my team is SO awesome"

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I haven't seen that in this thread

but OK

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
sabrescupbound

I would look at a deal surrounding Gagner for Sekera. It would give us a third line center. Would the Oilers be willing to add a 3rd or something?

Last edited by sabrescupbound: 09-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Sekera is not a 5-6 D. You're sadly ill-informed if you actually beleive that.
What's sad is you completely ignored the explanation part of my post and focused on what you disagree with. He's not a good fit for Edmonton given the price being asked. He wouldn't push anyone out of a spot in the top 4 short of injuries so it makes more sense from Edm's P.O.V. to not make a trade like that. We're not likely to break pairings prior to injury so he would be playing on the 3rd line to stat the season...which for our current roster would make him the number 5 D at the start of the season.

My honesty opinion of Sekera is similar to Smid but with more offense at the cost of physicality. Smid is one of our best D so no short praise there. Legit 2nd pairing skill and may still have some upside. I'd say his ceiling is a #2 solid defence who can chip in on the play but more likely to settle into a very solid #3 guy who will be able to play with a variety of defensive types. I don't get to watch a lot of Buffalo, and I may be off, but I don't believe I'm too far off in my estimation.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescupbound View Post
I would look at a deal surrounding Gagner for Sekera. It would give us a third line center. Would the Oilers be willing to add a 3rd or something?

Ew, no thank you. If we're moving Sekera, it better be in a package to upgrade our top 6 forwards. Leopold for a 3C, sure. Sekera? No way.