HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Now THERE's a plan....

Seriously? That's what you came up with? The first thing anyone says? Yeah, I'm sure the CBJ haven't noticed a hit at the gate...

I'm not so vain as to think you remember anything I've said over the years, but I've already mentioned that my investment in the CBJ is at a shadow of what it was. I also mentioned that I tell my season ticket rep why my investment is a lot lower. I also list conditions on increasing that investment. Although investment is an idiotic word, there is no investment in it.

Oh an for the record, I like hockey. A lot. Am I going eliminate going to games in person because I don't like who my team ices or who the GM is? Hell no. No, I am not going to use scalpers.
Then don't expect me to cry if you're simply unwilling to demand better the only way a business is going to understand. I like hockey a lot too. You know what I do instead of sending the CBJ my money? I play it myself, I watch NCAA hockey both live and on tv [including subscribing to the college-hockey channel that is available through our provider]. I generally watch online streams so I don't have the NHL package [Center Ice?], but if I did, I'd watch all CBJ games from the other team's feed. There's plenty of ways to get your fix.

That's the problem with the American consumer. They have more power than they think but they refuse to use it and are completely unwilling to band together to make a statement. I have not and will not ever use a scalper, by the way.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm saying don't use "record-wise" to measure the value/benefit of adding a vet.

In your scenario, what if the team adds Arnott to help Johansen, and Johansen somehow gets really good and helps propel the team into a 19th place finish? Can you "live with it" or do you "disagree"?

They way you're looking at it, the two issues are intertwined. I'm removing one measure completely.
I could live with it and if it was the beginning of Johansen and others improving so that the playoffs were next season and a bunch more in a row, then great. If it was a one time phenomena I pass.

Cutting away all the stuff, my preference is to play with what we have have (short of adding a Bobby Ryan level guy) and let the chips fall where they may.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I could live with it and if it was the beginning of Johansen and others improving so that the playoffs were next season and a bunch more in a row, then great. If it was a one time phenomena I pass.

Cutting away all the stuff, my preference is to play with what we have have (short of adding a Bobby Ryan level guy) and let the chips fall where they may.
Don't kill me but... me too.

But my point is to be open to the concept that the building-a-roster-thingy is more subtle than wins and losses. Even in your first point above, you're equivocating. How will you know which of those it is until years later? Does that mean that if a veteran player is added you'll be the first to say "You know, I'm withholding judgment on this, to first see if it helps (Johansen, for example), and then to see if it brings the playoffs were next season and a bunch more in a row rather than being a one-year phenomenon."? Or will you be the first to post "WTF? Are they trying to gain 8-10 points in the standings and ruin their chance at the top overall pick?"

Old
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...sign-jagr.html

Jackets made attempt to sign Jagr, appease CBJCougar
I think we should protest this horrible attempt to set the team back by making it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Then don't expect me to cry if you're simply unwilling to demand better the only way a business is going to understand. I like hockey a lot too. You know what I do instead of sending the CBJ my money? I play it myself, I watch NCAA hockey both live and on tv [including subscribing to the college-hockey channel that is available through our provider]. I generally watch online streams so I don't have the NHL package [Center Ice?], but if I did, I'd watch all CBJ games from the other team's feed. There's plenty of ways to get your fix.

That's the problem with the American consumer. They have more power than they think but they refuse to use it and are completely unwilling to band together to make a statement. I have not and will not ever use a scalper, by the way.

I love it when one guy who thinks there should be an angry mob about something and wants to be part of said mob tries to tell people that they should be an angry mob.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Then don't expect me to cry if you're simply unwilling to demand better the only way a business is going to understand.
Did you read my post? From what I can tell, no. Oh and a suggestion, come up with something that is actually going to work and not the first thing that pops into EVERYONE's mind. #unoriginalthoughtsdonthelp

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Craig Patrick on the Jackets site:

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/blog...et_rid=1406713

This includes his take on the new guys. More interesting, though, may be his characterization of the team when he arrived.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Don't kill me but... me too.

But my point is to be open to the concept that the building-a-roster-thingy is more subtle than wins and losses. Even in your first point above, you're equivocating. How will you know which of those it is until years later? Does that mean that if a veteran player is added you'll be the first to say "You know, I'm withholding judgment on this, to first see if it helps (Johansen, for example), and then to see if it brings the playoffs were next season and a bunch more in a row rather than being a one-year phenomenon."? Or will you be the first to post "WTF? Are they trying to gain 8-10 points in the standings and ruin their chance at the top overall pick?"
Like arguing/discussing with my wife

I understand that building a successful team is a nuanced process. I just think they are a bit far away from getting too fancy. After Vinnie retires, I'd be more open to another geezer than this year.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:15 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think we should protest this horrible attempt to set the team back by making it better.

I love it when one guy who thinks there should be an angry mob about something and wants to be part of said mob tries to tell people that they should be an angry mob.

I love it when people put words in my mouth. We've already determined that numerous people on here are satisfied with the mediocre CBJ product. I'm not, that's why they don't get my money. End of story. But don't try and tell me a team that's perennially at the bottom of the division and the conference isn't mediocre.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Did you read my post? From what I can tell, no. Oh and a suggestion, come up with something that is actually going to work and not the first thing that pops into EVERYONE's mind. #unoriginalthoughtsdonthelp
It must be so hard for you having to solve all of life's problems in a new and original way each time.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
candyman82

Quote:
It must be so hard for you having to solve all of life's problems in a new and original way each time.
If you have ideas, I would love to hear them. They don't have to be new.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Sign the fricken agreement

and lets get on to training camp. Ready to drop the puck, the natives are growing restless.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Like arguing/discussing with my wife
So your wife is right all the time?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
We've already determined that numerous people on here are satisfied with the mediocre CBJ product.
How have "we" gone about determining this?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote