HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
sammy87

vCash: 500
I managed to get tickets for tonight's game. I will be staying in Cherry Hill. What is the best option for getting to the arena. By car or Train?

sammy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
From Cherry Hill you are probably best off just driving in. I dont think there are any direct bus or train routes.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:01 AM
NYR89

I'm moving just outside of University City (1.5 miles out, on Hazel Ave) soon and I'm wondering if I could get around without having a car? I'm starting to think it would just be easier using SEPTA, walking and/or getting a bike to get around.

Any suggestions?

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
daynus

kind of in a tough spot.

i have had pretty good luck with stub hub. prices for miami were cheap, no one watches the phins so they were cheap. minnie got a so-so tick, price was high enough. i am waiting for new nhl sched, and gonna go from their. got my eyes on eagles tix, pricy, but willing to pay. may go to a temple owls game, love ncaa college football. gonna try to combine this with 6ers tix, love the 6ers. very talented young team. then their is the flyboys. well i have seen them at every venue in western canada. toronto have no desire to go their. montreal is very cool, club wise, on par with vegas. but seeing the flyboys play at home, would be one of the greatest things i would do in my life. but i am worried about the cba, games getting cancelled. now if i can combine these other sporting events with a flyboys game, that would be my best of of my life. i would appreciate some info on scalpers. can a person find them easy enough before the games. that would solve the problem of me getting in. rather than buying a tix from stubhub and the scheduled game is not played, then i would have to eat that ticket.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Capitlols

Hey guys, I'm making the trek up to Philly for a couple of days. Planning on staying on the south/central areas and checking out the eateries and landmarks.

I have a few questions if you don't mind. What are the areas to avoid? What landmarks are must sees there(outside of Independence Hall and where Rocky was filmed)? Where are good spots for parking?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
^Until you get other responses, there are a few suggestions in the first post.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:14 PM
manifestodestiny

So, I am unsure how to introduce this:

I am a former Atlanta Thrashers fan who has essentially been a free agent fan since the... Calamity. The reported support of Comcast and the Flyers for the Thrashers staying in Atlanta made me very favorable to Philly. Yet, I was accepted into college in Philly and I've generally began to think myself as a Flyers fan, it is not the same intensity as the Thrashers and I doubt that the emotional connection will be the same, but I'm trying.

So, here are a couple of questions:
Any advice on how to have a good experience at a Flyers game? Where should I try to sit, considering the income of a student, and how should I pregame? Is there public transportation from the arena to the inner city?

Also, would I get crap wearing a Thrashers Jersey in the city, considering that they no longer exist? I really want to attend a Jets game in it as a way to move on?

manifestodestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestodestiny View Post

I am a former Atlanta Thrashers fan who has essentially been a free agent fan since the... Calamity. The reported support of Comcast and the Flyers for the Thrashers staying in Atlanta made me very favorable to Philly. Yet, I was accepted into college in Philly and I've generally began to think myself as a Flyers fan, it is not the same intensity as the Thrashers and I doubt that the emotional connection will be the same, but I'm trying.

Any advice on how to have a good experience at a Flyers game? Where should I try to sit, considering the income of a student, and how should I pregame? Is there public transportation from the arena to the inner city?

Also, would I get crap wearing a Thrashers Jersey in the city, considering that they no longer exist? I really want to attend a Jets game in it as a way to move on?
1. Definitely try to become a Flyers fan! Arguably the most loyal and passionate American NHL fanbase, and the team is competitive pretty much year in and year out.

2. Good experience at the games: I always like to sit in the lower levels, personally. Feel closer to the action. But as a fellow college student, I know that price is a big factor so try and find the best possible seats for the best price.

3. Xfinity live just opened up recently and while I have not gone there myself, I have heard great things about it. It's pretty much a huge sports bar that is geared towards Philly sports. Ideal for people wanting to hang out and drink before/during/after a game.

4. No, you probably wouldn't get crap for wearing a Thrashers jersey. One, they are the Jets now. Two, there was never a real rivalry between the two franchises. It would be different if you wore a Pens jersey lol.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Where'd you get accepted to? Don't say Upenn.

Welcome to the fanbase

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
manifestodestiny

Uhh...UPenn and I actually am serious.

manifestodestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:

Welcome to Philly. If you want to get to the arena by public transportation, hop on the Market-Frankford Line Eastbound (MFL, it goes East-West), get off at 15th Street station, follow signs for Orange/Broad St. Line (North-South), and take the train going Southbound. The stadiums are the last stop on the line.

You can get on the train at 34th St - I'm assuming that's the closest stop to you if you live in University City. You could take a trolley to 15th St. too if you'd rather do that. There's a trolley stop at 36th and Spruce, I think, right near the first-year dorms.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:15 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:

use septa to get around town if your going to be in CC or pretty much anywhere in phila cty.

the subway underneath city hall aka the broad street subway or orange line is always running.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
daynus

gotter done

got hotel in old city philly. coming nov 9th, for a week. got tix for cowboys at eagles, lower level row 20, $250 from stubhub. picked up 76ers tix, $25. gonna sit back and wait and see what happens with cba, could go to hurricanes and wild games. gonna sit back and see what happens. if those games are a go, gotta go the scalper route. have good luck with scalpers. so a person can pick up the subway by city hall. that sounds good, about a block away from city hall. thanx for the help guys.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
got hotel in old city philly. coming nov 9th, for a week. got tix for cowboys at eagles, lower level row 20, $250 from stubhub. picked up 76ers tix, $25. gonna sit back and wait and see what happens with cba, could go to hurricanes and wild games. gonna sit back and see what happens. if those games are a go, gotta go the scalper route. have good luck with scalpers. so a person can pick up the subway by city hall. that sounds good, about a block away from city hall. thanx for the help guys.
well if your at a hotel in old city, that will probably put you around 4th or 5th n market.

wouldn't suprise me if your at the holiday inn or penns view inn right in the heart of all the historical stuff.

You will want to take the EL - aka the market frankford line / the blue line.

take that to 15th / city hall.

look for signs for the broad street subway / orange line and make sure you look for the southbound track to pattison

its the last stop so broad / pattison is where all the stadiums are.

Now an added edition to the area, Xfinity live is there if you get there early and want food or a beverage of some kind.

On top of everything typed above, i would say get the SEPTA independance pass, they have the individual pass and family pass.

www.septa.org for all details reguarding septa routes and fare charges.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
Oh, I forgot.

sounds like you will be flying to PHL. If you are, instead of paying an arm an a leg to get to the hotel.

there is a regional rail train - the airport line that goes to 30th street.

hop off there and you can get the Market frankford line EASTBOUND from 30th st to 5th or 2nd ST which is old city.

It might save you money vs paying taxi or limo or however you were planning to go.

unless of course you have a family member or someone picking you up.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
daynus

right on buddy thanx for the tips.

yah my hotel is on market street. i will avoid cell phone use and getting distracted while waiting for a train, like that poor guy from philly, that fell right onto the tracks. that was very un-cool.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
PhillyPhinn

I'm coming to Philly for the first time in October as part of my trip to the US, and the first six days of my stay in Philly I will be there alone. I'll probably get bored once I've seen the main sights, and if there's a lockout, I won't even get to go to a Flyers game. So, outside of the usual sights, what do you recommend a 30-year old finn should do in Philly/the area, alone.

Are any golf courses open/in shape in mid-October or is it too cold already? That's the one thing I could see myself doing alone, however I'm going to Florida after my stay in Philly, so I'll probably get enough golfing done there.....

Last edited by PhillyPhinn: 09-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
I'm coming to Philly for the first time in October as part of my trip to the US, and the first six days of my stay in Philly I will be there alone. I'll probably get bored once I've seen the main sights, and if there's a lockout, I won't even get to go to a Flyers game. So, outside of the usual sights, what do you recommend a 30-year old finn should do in Philly/the area, alone.

Are any golf courses open/in shape in mid-October or is it too cold already? That's the one thing I could see myself doing alone, hower I'm going to Florida after my stay in Philly, so I'll probably get enough golfing done there.....
October for golf is hit or miss. Unfortunately you're looking at a 45+ minute drive to get to anything worth playing from Center City.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
October for golf is hit or miss. Unfortunately you're looking at a 45+ minute drive to get to anything worth playing from Center City.
Thanks.

How "social/friendly" are Philadelphians in general? I mean, I'm very social and will be there alone without knowing anyone for six days, so if I don't get to talk to anyone for that time I'll go crazy. If I'm at a sports bar or something, will people think I'm crazy if I start a conversation with some random unknown person sitting next to me at the bar(like we do to foreigners here in Finland ) ?

I was alone in Berlin for a few days when I was a student, and made friends with a bunch of random people I met at a pub, and ended up going to a party at their house, but I have no idea how it is in Philly/the US. All I know is, I'll get really bored if there is a) no NHL , b) no one to talk to....

Old
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Thanks.

How "social/friendly" are Philadelphians in general? I mean, I'm very social and will be there alone without knowing anyone for six days, so if I don't get to talk to anyone for that time I'll go crazy. If I'm at a sports bar or something, will people think I'm crazy if I start a conversation with some random unknown person sitting next to me at the bar(like we do to foreigners here in Finland ) ?

I was alone in Berlin for a few days when I was a student, and made friends with a bunch of random people I met at a pub, and ended up going to a party at their house, but I have no idea how it is in Philly/the US. All I know is, I'll get really bored if there is a) no NHL , b) no one to talk to....
Generally speaking, no. At least in all my years in the city I've never had this problem. Of course it all depends on what type of person you're sitting next to.

You might have a problem if there's still no hockey come October though. At that point of the year the only thing sports-wise worth talking about is NFL Football, specifically the local team in the Eagles. You could try talking hockey, but I don't know how far you'd get if there's no games being played. Of course with your Finnish accent you could convince them you know Kimmo Timonen.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Generally speaking, no. At least in all my years in the city I've never had this problem. Of course it all depends on what type of person you're sitting next to.
That's good to hear...

Quote:
You might have a problem if there's still no hockey come October though. At that point of the year the only thing sports-wise worth talking about is NFL Football, specifically the local team in the Eagles. You could try talking hockey, but I don't know how far you'd get if there's no games being played.
That is no problem at all, as I'm part of the 0,000000001% of the finnish population that not only follows the NFL, but actually likes it better than hockey, and who loves the Eagles(had an american exchange student as a roommate back in the day who got me into the sport). I don't think I've missed an Eagles game since 2005 or something, and having someone to talk about football would be great.....

Quote:
Of course with your Finnish accent you could convince them you know Kimmo Timonen.
Niklas Bäckström of the Wild was in the 6th grade at my elementary school when I was a first grader, and he probably knows Timonen, so doesn't that mean that Timonen and I are friends?

Old
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Bones45

I'm coming to philly on monday.. doing some site seeing, and then going to the 76'ers game-- got almost floor seats for like $35.

I usually do these small trips during hockey season, where I go to a city, see my team lose to the local team, see the sites, and enjoy a nice arena, as opposed to the craphole the Isles play in.

So with no hockey, I'm seeing a bball game instead oh well.

Question of the day is:

After the sixers game, I want to get to some of the gentlemens clubs mentioned in the first post on this thread. They all seem to be on S. Columbus?

1. Is this walkable from Wells Fargo?
2. If yes, would I want to? bad area?
3. Looks like there is no subway to the area, is cab the only way?

Are there any of these type places walkable from the arena?

I'm staying near city hall -- are there any fun places like this up there?

Thanks guys!

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Bones45

Wtf! You guys came up with nuthin'

Currently at the arena, with no love from the hfboards!!

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Wtf! You guys came up with nuthin'

Currently at the arena, with no love from the hfboards!!
sorry, I just got home and checking online first time in 4 days.

basically you want to hit the nudity bars

you can walk it but it will take you 45 min to an hour to hit the 1 gentleman bar right by the whitman bridge next to the ports. but a cab ride from the arena to there should be no more then 5 bucks.

to hit the other bars along columbus, cab be about 10-15 bucks from south philly.

Or take the subway to snyder exit, then take the 79 to columbus ave,

club riske and show n tell are right there.

plse note snyder exit can be a bit of a rough section.

If you like a safer path.

subway to city hall then catch the EL basically another subway thats an elevated train going east. take that to spring garden, from there you can hit

all clubs, dave n busters, all the adult bars listed above and sugar house casinos.

also note septa's 25 runs up n down columbus blvd. also note it changes name around the spring garden. from columbus to delaware ave. same street just nother name.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Upgrayedd

Sens fan coming in peace, just wanted to give a quick shout out to the city of Philadelphia and how passionate you all are for your home teams. I first took notice about 15 years ago when i for one reason or another decided i wanted to cheer for the Eagles as "my" football team! Well many years later cheering them on to misery i have come to learn that "philly fan" cannot be beat, support wise, in north america and frankly im jealous in that i wish my town would support our teams in a similar fashion! Keep it up guys and i hope to visit your awesome city soon to catch my first NFL game.

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote