HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

DotA 2

Old
09-02-2012, 05:47 PM
PAZ

vCash: 500
DotA 2

Anyone else watching the International 2 tourney? Unbelievable games when Na'vi is involved. Usually never found watching DotA too exciting, but i'm just awestruck at how good these players are.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:13 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I still don't get how people can spend time watching other people play video games. I have tried and can't get into it.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:16 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I still don't get how people can spend time watching other people play video games. I have tried and can't get into it.
I still don't get how people can spend time watching other people play sports.

KpopandHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:45 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Figured someone would say that but it is not the same in most respects. And to be honest there are some sports I just can't stand watching even if I do like playing them.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:48 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I still don't get how people can spend time watching other people play sports.
This

Same concept, personally i'm a stream *****

Have favorite streamers during the night, during the day, during the week, during the weekend

Basically with 3 screens i always have one or two streams open, even while i'm in a game of my own

Helps with downtime during games and stuff like waiting for a rezz or anything really

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:49 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Figured someone would say that but it is not the same in most respects. And to be honest there are some sports I just can't stand watching even if I do like playing them.
To each his own, to flat out say ''you don't get it'' on a hockey board is just stupid

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
To each his own, to flat out say ''you don't get it'' on a hockey board is just stupid
How is it stupid? I don't get the attraction.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
How is it stupid? I don't get the attraction.
Maybe it's not purely an entertainment factor but also a teaching method? Watching announcers and watching the game is very helpful especially for newer players than are learning the game. If you've never played Dota, you don't know how difficult the learning curve is, there is no harder game to pick up then Dota, or other MOBA's which all suck anyway.

I've been watching the tourney, I don't know how much people enjoy Dota around here. There have been good games, but I'm sick of seeing the same damn heroes every single game, Naga Siren, AM, Morph, Invoker, ALWAYS.... I get that it's high level play and it's the safe play but it's so boring!!!

Please explain why you enjoy watching hockey, and apply that same logic to people who enjoying watching games.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 09-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Habitat

Been watching it all week. Just started playing like 2 months ago and its one of the funnest games ive ever played. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a game to play..

Easily the best play of the tournament right here

Better quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La--egn0MrU#t=27m

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Habitat

500,000 viewers watching the upperbracket final between navi and lgd and its not even the grand finals yet for $1,000,000. Cant wait to see how many watch the finals

Old
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Maybe it's not purely an entertainment factor but also a teaching method? Watching announcers and watching the game is very helpful especially for newer players than are learning the game. If you've never played Dota, you don't know how difficult the learning curve is, there is no harder game to pick up then Dota, or other MOBA's which all suck anyway.

I've been watching the tourney, I don't know how much people enjoy Dota around here. There have been good games, but I'm sick of seeing the same damn heroes every single game, Naga Siren, AM, Morph, Invoker, ALWAYS.... I get that it's high level play and it's the safe play but it's so boring!!!

Please explain why you enjoy watching hockey, and apply that same logic to people who enjoying watching games.
I can get the idea of using it as a learning tool, but just don't see the same excitement etc as watching a sport. And don't get me wrong I play dota and stacraft, warcraft etc. Like someone said, to each their own.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:52 AM
PAZ

Quote:
I can get the idea of using it as a learning tool, but just don't see the same excitement etc as watching a sport. And don't get me wrong I play dota and stacraft, warcraft etc. Like someone said, to each their own.
I never watch streams, but this is an exception. I personally don't like watching streams, but some of these games are really good.

Quote:

You can't really compare the tourney to public matchmaking. I'd say it's two completely different games. But ya, i'm personally sick of seeing the same heroes as well. Games balanced for public, but in competitive games i'd say theres only about ~25 heroes that can be used.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

iG won the final over Na'Vi 3-1.

Na'Vi beat DK, iG and LGD to get to the final, from the winner bracket.
They got a bad deal by not having a one game advantage (meaning, they beat iG already, but iG got a 2nd shot through the losers bracket).
Winner bracket champions are the only ones without a second chance and in every other tournament they're rewarded with a 1 game lead in the final.

So yeah, deserved win by iG, but Na'Vi still the best team for me.
They tried weird picks, they let OP heroes constantly through the bans to beat them with surprise tactics... And it just didn't work in that last game.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 02:47 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
iG won the final over Na'Vi 3-1.

Na'Vi beat DK, iG and LGD to get to the final, from the winner bracket.
They got a bad deal by not having a one game advantage (meaning, they beat iG already, but iG got a 2nd shot through the losers bracket).
Winner bracket champions are the only ones without a second chance and in every other tournament they're rewarded with a 1 game lead in the final.

So yeah, deserved win by iG, but Na'Vi still the best team for me.
They tried weird picks, they let OP heroes constantly through the bans to beat them with surprise tactics... And it just didn't work in that last game.
Ya, definitely should've had some advantage. Hopefully they change the format as well. The picks also come down to the captains, I mean ya Na'Vi gave them the easier line up, but that was their prerogative. Na'Vi just isn't as comfortable in a long farm war, which cost them the tourney imo. They didn't play the highly aggressive, pressure type of game. They settled into iG's playstyle.

Gotta hand it to iG though, they just did everything right in game 4. Na'Vi was banking on Dendi stealing tide's ulti, but they blinked right beside him and casted it so he had no chance.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Gotta hand it to iG though, they just did everything right in game 4. Na'Vi was banking on Dendi stealing tide's ulti, but they blinked right beside him and casted it so he had no chance.
That, and Puppey over thought stuff IMO.

Nyx Assassin was a surprise, but utterly useless in a tight packed 4-protect-1 farming games.

Sadly, all the Chinese team respect-ban Pudge, so we never saw Dendi play it in the WB/Final.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Habitat

He was banned once in game 1. 5th Ban to

Old
09-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
He was banned once in game 1. 5th Ban to
In the finals, yeah. But every game until then.

Also, banning Enigma killed Na'Vi counter-strat (Rubick and Enigma, meaning Dendi and LoH were sick vs earlier combos of Naga, Tide and DS)...
And the one time LGD had Naga, Tide and DS and Enigma banned, they had Faceless Void to control the fight.

And yet Puppey still let them all through the draft.
They were always fighting an uphill battle, and with no AOE control, it wasn't gonna happen.
Over-thinking or whatever, doesn't matter...
I still think Na'Vi is the best team, but iG were deserved winners.

Sometimes, it's just best to stick with OP heroes and try and teamplay better rather than trying to introduce something new every game.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
norrisnick

Man... I've been watching a couple matches with a friend that has gotten sucked in. I wants a Dota 2 invite . Anyone here have one kicking around collecting dust?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:10 PM
PAZ

Quote:
In the finals, yeah. But every game until then.

Also, banning Enigma killed Na'Vi counter-strat (Rubick and Enigma, meaning Dendi and LoH were sick vs earlier combos of Naga, Tide and DS)...
And the one time LGD had Naga, Tide and DS and Enigma banned, they had Faceless Void to control the fight.

And yet Puppey still let them all through the draft.
They were always fighting an uphill battle, and with no AOE control, it wasn't gonna happen.
Over-thinking or whatever, doesn't matter...
I still think Na'Vi is the best team, but iG were deserved winners.

Sometimes, it's just best to stick with OP heroes and try and teamplay better rather than trying to introduce something new every game.
I personally wish that there was a tourney CM format, where the heroes used last game are excluded (for one game). Gives some diversity. Theres no way icefrog can balance heroes in such a way that the majority of them aren't OP in pubs and tournaments at the same time.

Na'Vi won quite a few of their games by doing aggressive strats the chinese weren't use to. iG figured them out in the finals. I think Na'Vi is the best team as well, but there isn't enough skill gap where they'll win every tourney.

Btw, if anyone wants to play send me a PM

Old
09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Navi didn't play their game, their game is all about ganking and pushing, but they didn't pick heroes for that sort of style, where was their patented gank behind a tower and go for the tower? Also, questioning Puppey's decision to give them a combination of Naga, Tide or DS in every single draft, c'mon show IG some respect, they are owning you with that combo. Also that Thrall pick in Game 3 was GENIUS. Glimpse is the most imba spell in the game.

Tons of props to IG though they outplayed Navi badly in pretty much every game, even the game Navi won.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Navi didn't play their game, their game is all about ganking and pushing, but they didn't pick heroes for that sort of style, where was their patented gank behind a tower and go for the tower? Also, questioning Puppey's decision to give them a combination of Naga, Tide or DS in every single draft, c'mon show IG some respect, they are owning you with that combo. Also that Thrall pick in Game 3 was GENIUS. Glimpse is the most imba spell in the game.

Tons of props to IG though they outplayed Navi badly in pretty much every game, even the game Navi won.
Na'Vi didn't play their game in the finals, I agree, and Puppey over-thought the drafts, looked for innovation instead of stability, and to me biggest disappointment - didn't pick Pudge.

He's a great captain, but he put his team in a bad place in every single game.
And to be fair, all the Na'Vi players said the team was off-form basically, which is why they group stage was awful.
However, they ended up beating ALL the Chinese teams, just shows how good they are.

I still think they got a bad deal because of not getting a 1-0 lead through the WB, but whatever...

No other team has that level of consistency (in the end, they won TI 2011 beating iG and EHOME) and no other team gets to win so many games using so many weird/exotic heroes (Pudge, Phantom Assassin, Jugger, etc.).

Again, deserved for iG, but Na'Vi just let themselves down or were looking for too many big plays...
Puppey was the one captain in the tournament who said he can play vs Naga/DS/Tide/etc wombo-combo, and he did win up til then, but iG just figured it out, took out Enigma, focused Rubick and Puppey didn't adjust.

NA pick was just throwing the game, 4v5.

And yeah, the game 3 Thrall pick was genious, like Sing-Sing said about Glimpse, "HOW IS THAT BALANCED??".

Man, I could talk about DOTA all days...
Anyway, if anyone wants to play, shoot me a PM.
I'm a mid-level player (assuming the pros are high), been playing for 5 years now, did some leagues and minor tournaments.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Habitat

Disapointed that there wasn't a new patch yesterday

Old
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
Disapointed that there wasn't a new patch yesterday
I don't mind, Valve did an awesome job for TI, I'll forgive them this week.

But hoping for some Meepo love next week.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Na'Vi didn't play their game in the finals, I agree, and Puppey over-thought the drafts, looked for innovation instead of stability, and to me biggest disappointment - didn't pick Pudge.

He's a great captain, but he put his team in a bad place in every single game.
And to be fair, all the Na'Vi players said the team was off-form basically, which is why they group stage was awful.
However, they ended up beating ALL the Chinese teams, just shows how good they are.

I still think they got a bad deal because of not getting a 1-0 lead through the WB, but whatever...

No other team has that level of consistency (in the end, they won TI 2011 beating iG and EHOME) and no other team gets to win so many games using so many weird/exotic heroes (Pudge, Phantom Assassin, Jugger, etc.).

Again, deserved for iG, but Na'Vi just let themselves down or were looking for too many big plays...
Puppey was the one captain in the tournament who said he can play vs Naga/DS/Tide/etc wombo-combo, and he did win up til then, but iG just figured it out, took out Enigma, focused Rubick and Puppey didn't adjust.

NA pick was just throwing the game, 4v5.

And yeah, the game 3 Thrall pick was genious, like Sing-Sing said about Glimpse, "HOW IS THAT BALANCED??".

Man, I could talk about DOTA all days...
Anyway, if anyone wants to play, shoot me a PM.
I'm a mid-level player (assuming the pros are high), been playing for 5 years now, did some leagues and minor tournaments.
Na'Vi needed a lead to be picking pudge. Specs love it, but it's a risky pick. I believe I already stated it, but there needs to be a new format so we don't see the same heroes from one game to the next, and make teams use different strats.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Corto what's your steam ID, I notice you are also a Sabre fan. I haven't been playing much of Dota 2 lately, but I play occasionally on the weekends. I liked your Bala avatar.

Also, about the Pudge pick, I thought I heard somewhere that Navi is 10-0 when Dendi gets Pudge? Or maybe that was puck. Either way, I don't think they lost when Dendi played Pudge during TI2. Always a better pick than NA IMO.