HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Things to do in Denver when you're still alive...

Old
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Colorado is just like Vancouver that without a big Asian population and of course the water.
Oh, ... oh no you didn't! If I didn't enjoy discussing hockey with the majority of them, I'd assemble the Vancouverians here on HF against you!

We have way better riots.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I'm sorry Chewey, please forgive my innocence.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Anyone try this place out for wings yet?

http://www.fotmdenver.com/

I am going here tonight. Supposed to be really really good.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Anyone try this place out for wings yet?

http://www.fotmdenver.com/

I am going here tonight. Supposed to be really really good.
Let me know how it is. I've been wanting a good wings place. And if I saw their menu correctly they don't even serve crap beer. Just local beer (although they'll probably try and pass off Blue Moon as a local craft beer or something)

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Bonzai12

Was pretty dang good.

Kind of expensive ($1/wing with volume discounts if you get a lot) but they do have good brews. Lots of Avery, Left Hand Milk Stout, and some other seasonal craft brews.

When you go in, they have about 12 different sauces to choose from and you can taste test them. I had Bourbon Chipotle and Spicy Peanut. Just the right amount of heat and lots of sauce.

I'll definitely go back. I haven't had Buffalo Wild Wings in a long time but for a private place this one is awesome. They sell bottles of their sauce and folks came in while I was there just to buy the sauce. That's always a good sign.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Was pretty dang good.

Kind of expensive ($1/wing with volume discounts if you get a lot) but they do have good brews. Lots of Avery, Left Hand Milk Stout, and some other seasonal craft brews.

When you go in, they have about 12 different sauces to choose from and you can taste test them. I had Bourbon Chipotle and Spicy Peanut. Just the right amount of heat and lots of sauce.

I'll definitely go back. I haven't had Buffalo Wild Wings in a long time but for a private place this one is awesome. They sell bottles of their sauce and folks came in while I was there just to buy the sauce. That's always a good sign.
Was the milk stout on nitro? That simple detail makes it my favorite beer instead of just top 10 lol

I'll have to try that out

Old
09-07-2012, 02:45 AM
AvsPredsFan19

I posted this of the avs forums so I'll post it here.
  • "Start at the Airport(By land size, at 53 square miles (140 km2), it is the largest international airport in the United States, and the third largest international airport in the world)Its known best by the crazy drawings and mountain and tent looking structure. Also the 2 crazy looking statue, one is a blue evil looking mustang with red eyes in the outside the airport and the big statue of the Egyptian god Anubis looking into security.
  • If you can drink go to Wynkoop Brewing Company(The largest brew pub in the US, produces more than 4,000 barrels of fresh beer annually, earning it a place among the largest brewpubs in the world
  • The Denver U.S. Mint
  • theRed Rocks Amphitheatre(Carved from towering red rock monuments, this 9,000-seat arena is one of the world's most renowned concert venues and has hosted everyone from the Beatles to Bruce Springsteen.)
  • If you love South Park try going to Casa Bonita in Lakewood(suburb of Denver)
  • But the best thing about the city is 71 miles away from Denver. Rocky Mountain National Park which contains Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuous highway in the world with panoramic views in all directions. You will always see animals all about mostly elk(the most elk population in the world is in Colorado)
  • My personal favorite is the town you hit before the park. Estes Park is a beautiful town with elk running all over it. It also is the home of the Stanley hotel which was the very hotel, Stephen King stayed in to wrote his book "The Shining" and the movie was filmed on the there also.(Creepy place)
  • And go to the Pepsi center because the Altitude Authentic(Avs,Nuggets & Mammoth)is open most of the time."

Try going to a Broncos game and a rapids game(MLS) but the city of Denver is a cool city but its like lots of cities in the U.S but when you get into the mountains its a different world

AvsPredsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Bonzai12

Casa Bonita is horrible. Worst food I've ever had in my life. It's cool because it was on South Park, but it will make you sick for your entire trip (the food is so bad they make you get some before you can sit down in the place).

Old
09-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
Was the milk stout on nitro? That simple detail makes it my favorite beer instead of just top 10 lol

I'll have to try that out
Not sure. I didn't have it, but I full well know what you mean on the nitro.

Fire On The Mountain has a daily deal up for $10 for $20 of food, so the wings are .50 each potentially if you can snag that!

Old
09-08-2012, 10:59 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Not much else to say. Everyone else got it right on the money. Mountains - any town, any highway that'll get you up there, even if it's just a drive. Estes Park and Breckenridge are my favorite towns. Rockies game, even though we suck, the atmosphere and the park are unbeatable. Broncos game, even though you won't be able to tell what the h*ll is going on since football is so much easier to watch on TV, it's still fun and worth the experience. Skip Boulder (Landeslog nailed it) and please, please do not go to Casa Bonita.

If you have any extra time, you can come to my house. My wife and I will immediately leave and you can stay with our two boys (5 and 3). Enjoy listening to original songs about pooping your pants & farting on your head, and don't worry - they flash everyone and go streaking whether they're in the house or in public...this is what they do. The 3 year old likes to sneak scissors and cut the tags out of everyone's clothes, as well as cut up his own bed sheets, so beware. Don't let either out in the front of the house, as they will run and have been known to lie to neighbors, telling them that their mom or I are just around the corner waiting for them, or that we asked them to go to the mailbox for us. The 3 year old will run across the street, but don't worry, he looks for cars...as soon as he's halfway across. Don't know when we'll come back, but you'll have fun so if we're really late it won't be a big deal. Oh, and we can't afford to pay you as we are both educators working in Douglas County where voters have decided that we haven't needed a raise for 4 years.

SuperTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:24 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

ROFLMAO

it's all true

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Don't need to pay any more taxes on failing school system even if it's not the teachers fault. Should've became a lawyer.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Don't need to pay any more taxes on failing school system even if it's not the teachers fault. Should've became a lawyer.
Great post. No wonder we don't get a bond passed - with thinking like this. Thanks, also, for calling into question my choice for a noble profession, and for blaming/dishing consequence to the teachers for the failing school system. Passing a bond so teachers get a cost of living raise somehow equates to supporting a failing system.

I was just trying to inject a little humor into my last post. Don't think I/my profession need to be attacked.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 09-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 12:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Great post. No wonder we don't get a bond passed - with thinking like this. Thanks, also, for calling into question my choice for a noble profession, and for blaming/dishing consequence to the teachers for the failing school system. Passing a bond so teachers get a cost of living raise somehow equates to supporting a failing system.

I was just trying to inject a little humor into my last post. Don't think I/my profession need to be attacked.
I need to attack it.

Only problem is that was humor as well.

Old
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Abduljabbar
Rookie User

Visit SOBO 151, a Czech bar with great Czech beer in downtown Denver. It's full of hockey memorabilia especially for the Avs. Also the bartender there is a friend of Milan Hejduk and Mrs. Hejduk and he might have some nice stories to tell.

Abduljabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:15 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
I need to attack it.

Only problem is that was humor as well.
Fair enough. Pardon the hypersensitivity to the subject. After some time and a chance to think on your post, I was actually hoping an attempt at humor was where you were going. We're all pretty raw to what's being done to us, and it's hard to understand how the voting public can be so easily influenced. The reality is that the two incomes in my household are currently a combined 10K per year under where we would have been without the pay freeze 4 years ago. The way it's going, we've done the math and over the course of our careers the cumulative total we'll be out will be over 250K. That affects our kids, our lifestyle, our choices for our future, our retirement, etc. All because of shortsighted & misguided public opinion and a lack of general support. And because we chose careers that allowed us to make a positive impact on the future.

Don't know you, your age, your professional experience, or your perspective (is there any to speak to DCSD, or education in general, or have you just heard the system isn't working?) but it's hard to read uneducated comments from people that state our system is failing. Standardized test scores that have always put our district among the best in the state & nation may suggest that "failing system" isn't an appropriate phrase to tag us with.

Again, pardon the hypersensitivity.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 09-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Landeslog

Don't mind seph. He was called me fat TO MY FACE

on the internet

Old
09-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Abduljabbar
Rookie User

I knew Seph had to be somewhere since he disappeared from other forums.

Sup, Jerkwad?

Old
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Well, I didn't join these boards to get into it with anyone. I joined to talk hockey and jerseys. Tough not to see a little red, though. I don't know SEPH, and there's no info on his profile, so I can't see whether his comments are juvenile regurgitation of something he heard someone else say, or whether he has genuine educated perspective to speak to the state of education from. Hard to know how to respond without this information/point of view. Am I talking with another bona fide educated adult, or someone still on his way with a little to learn? An attempt at humor, I understand, but obviously I didn't see it.

Ed: The above post gives me a little info to work with.
Also - Bender, if you come to babysit, please don't bring SEPH.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 09-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Landeslog

Oh seph is harmless. He just says things. He's a fine person

Old
09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Good enough for me. Back to avs & Bender's trip to Denver, please?

Old
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Abduljabbar
Rookie User

Quote:
Well, I didn't join these boards to get into it with anyone. I joined to talk hockey and jerseys. Tough not to see a little red, though. I don't know SEPH, and there's no info on his profile, so I can't see whether his comments are juvenile regurgitation of something he heard someone else say, or whether he has genuine educated perspective to speak to the state of education from. Hard to know how to respond without this perspective. Am I talking with another bona fide educated adult, or someone still on his way with a little to learn? An attempt at humor, I understand, but obviously I didn't see it.

Ed: The above post gives me a little info to work with. Bender, if you come to babysit, please don't bring SEPH.
Just ignore him and you'll be fine.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
I'm not sure what you can do in Denver(as I never been) but I know who you could do.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abduljabbar View Post
I knew Seph had to be somewhere since he disappeared from other forums.

Sup, Jerkwad?
Why such hard language, Nayefj???? I was only on the Avs board to troll it, here I am normal.

Quote:
Don't know you, your age, your professional experience, or your perspective (is there any to speak to DCSD, or education in general, or have you just heard the system isn't working?) but it's hard to read uneducated comments from people that state our system is failing. Standardized test scores that have always put our district among the best in the state & nation may suggest that "failing system" isn't an appropriate phrase to tag us with.
I live in DC (and I know they're some of the best) and even though I was joking about those posts above in reality I can't stand everything about the American School System. The teachers, the principles, the administrators, etc. I hate every single one of them, I also can't stand the NCLBA and it gets loads of tax payer money with the only results for funding from effin "test scores". Do you think children like tests? No they want to learn, not read a bunch of information from a 600 page book that they will forget three years from now. More people are dropping out because they deem this pointless in their life when they can go to work at 17 and stay there, but sadly you need a college degree to get anywhere in life now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I'm not sure what you can do in Denver(as I never been) but I know who you could do.
I do have a girlfriend, but if Sam wants to invite herself I won't say no.

Last edited by S E P H: 09-10-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
I live in DC (and I know they're some of the best) and even though I was joking about those posts above in reality I can't stand everything about the American School System. The teachers, the principles, the administrators, etc. I hate every single one of them, I also can't stand the NCLBA and it gets loads of tax payer money with the only results for funding from effin "test scores". Do you think children like tests? No they want to learn, not read a bunch of information from a 600 page book that they will forget three years from now. More people are dropping out because they deem this pointless in their life when they can go to work at 17 and stay there, but sadly you need a college degree to get anywhere in life now.
Well, I suppose this gives me the answers to the questions I asked earlier, and the information I was looking for about your age, experience, and perspective. If I knew then, I'd have certainly responded to your original post differently. Your posts ring of youth and naiveté, and if that's who you are and where you're coming from right now I can accept that - it's no different than 99% of secondary students across the generations. I'll also agree that the system is doing lots wrong (especially DCSD), but paying teachers low salaries is one of the biggest.

Not sure I can agree with the juvenile point of view on testing, however. How else can our "system" measure performance and growth if not through testing? No one likes it, it isn't fun for anyone, but as you grow up you begin to realize that you don't forget as much of the stuff you want so badly to believe you'll forget, and you'll realize that your college degree isn't just a big hoop all the mean adults are making you jump through to get a good job. It's the commitment to and completion of a monumentally difficult task that is important to employers. If two people apply for a job I'm offering, each with equal work ethics, personalities, and skills, but one has a degree and the other dropped out, guess who I'm hiring. Guess why. NOT because he has a degree and is "smarter" because he has a degree, but because I know he won't get frustrated, throw a temper tantrum and quit on me because the job is "too hard" and its "pointless" and "no one ever uses this stuff anyway". The guy with the degree has proven he can take on an extremely difficult and huge challenge and see it through, whether he faced adversity, economic hardship, or self-doubt/intimidation by the scope of the task itself. This is why those with degrees get good jobs and those who drop out and go to work at 17 and stay there because of the ****** tests and system get to struggle & be jaded against their educated counterparts.

An issue with youth will always be that they're stubborn and stedfast in their viewpoints. The only things that get them where they're going and pulls back the blinders are time, experience, and maturity. And everyone gets there in their own time (this is why all the adults are on one side of the issue, and all the kids are on the opposing side. As the kids grow up, they become adults and start saying the adult stuff to their kids).

You and I are obviously on opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of our positioning. I can see where you're coming from and that helps me put this all into perspective. It's too bad though, that you hate me simply because I'm a teacher when my solitary professional goal is to help students and impact your lives in a positive way. Seems to be a little counterproductive and a little mis-aimed.

The good news is we're both avs fans and can work toward a common ground there. Look forward to reading more of you posts.