HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Horcoff

Old
09-06-2012, 04:34 AM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
komi's contract is almost as bad as Horcoffs. Oilers are taking on more cash than they are sending so drop the second. Komi does not make the oilers D and Connelly has lost a step and for me is a down grade for Horcoff on the third line. Leaf fans wont want horcoff anyway and they will really hate my description of Komi and connolly. Oilers have Peckham, Potter and Sutton for the bottom 5-6-7 spot and don't need a guy making 3.5 mill with a cap hit of 4.5

Horcoff contract is worst than Komi and 1 yr longer.Why would any Leaf fan want to do this trade?

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:20 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Horcoff contract is worst than Komi and 1 yr longer.Why would any Leaf fan want to do this trade?
Horcoff is not as bad as you make him out to be. He isn't great but he is not horrible just a bad cap hit. Komi contract is worse as bad as this sounds Horcoff is the better bang for the buck.

Quote:
Rather keep Gomer.We at least can send Gomer to the minors if we decide.
Also Gomers contract ends one yr sooner.EDM can keep Horcoff.
I would take Horcoff and his extra year 100 out 100 times over Gomez

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
rockinghockey

There is not a team out there that would take Horc's contract, it is just that bad, the good thing is that his contract does not hurt the team as far as keeping its young players. RNH will sign next year then Yak. Go OILERS

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Connolly + Franson for Horcoff + Peckham

Peckham adds toughness to the Leafs.
lol we downgrade on both players in this deal, not a chance...

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Horcoff has a terrible contract. I think we can all agree with that. Unfortunate for the Oil, they won't have anyone to replace him if he leave either.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
There is not a team out there that would take Horc's contract, it is just that bad, the good thing is that his contract does not hurt the team as far as keeping its young players. RNH will sign next year then Yak. Go OILERS
If a team wants to reach the cap floor and wait for it's prospects to develop Horcoff would be a perfect fix. There are some teams that could use Horcoff and would take him, no questions asked. I hate to say this, but Horcoff does have some good points. He is adequate 3rd line C that plays the PK well and if necessary the PP (that if the team is desperate). Just has that lousy contract, thanks to K.Lowe.

Not much of a chance of Horcoff moving, has it to good in Edmonton. Best bury him somewhere in the minors next year and forget about him.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

Horcoff has a terrible contract but puts up ok numbers for a 3rd liner, plays against the toughest opposition and can be relied on for PK.

I'd rather keep him then finding someone to replace him. His contract does not harm the team.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
RyanV

Quote:
Rather keep Gomer.We at least can send Gomer to the minors if we decide.
Also Gomers contract ends one yr sooner.EDM can keep Horcoff.
Gomez for 2 more years = $14.8 million
Horcoff for 3 more years = $16.5 million

RyanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Jamin

Why start this thread is what I wonder. Everyone knows he has one of the worst contracts in the league. Was this just a thread to get in some Horcoff bashing (because that doesnt happen enough on HFOIL lol).

Since all the team will get back is crap and bad contracts let Horcoff have horrible zone starts, play tough competition, pk so that RNH can have easier minutes to develop. Otherwise Belanger gets an increased role on the team and after last year ick

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV View Post

Horcoff is due 13 million in salary over those 3 years while Gomez is only due 10 million.

Would make sense for Montreal to throw Gomer in the minors for two years than to trade for Horcoff.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanV View Post

Actually money being paid out.
Gomez 2 yrs 10 mil
Horcoff 3 yrs 13 mil.

You can keep Horcoff.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil9 View Post
What you give for him? He is a decent 3rd liner so who would you trade for him?

Fire Away
Less than zero.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Horcoff is the heart and soul of the Oilers. He is our best player, captain, and leader, on and off the ice. To be traded it would have to be an overpayment and even then it would be a tough sell. I hope we extend him asap before he becomes a UFA.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Actually money being paid out.
Gomez 2 yrs 10 mil
Horcoff 3 yrs 13 mil.

You can keep Horcoff.
We will and gladly. You're forgetting Horcoff also comes with 1.85Mil less cap per season. Also Horcoffs NMC comes off the books soon (this year is his last I believe) and then he can be moved/sent down.

While he might not put up a lot of points...he puts up a lot more than Gomez and is far more useful. So while Horcof is a bad contract...he's not a waste of one like Gomez.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Why start this thread is what I wonder. Everyone knows he has one of the worst contracts in the league. Was this just a thread to get in some Horcoff bashing (because that doesnt happen enough on HFOIL lol).

Since all the team will get back is crap and bad contracts let Horcoff have horrible zone starts, play tough competition, pk so that RNH can have easier minutes to develop. Otherwise Belanger gets an increased role on the team and after last year ick
Another very good reason Edmonton can't trade Horcoff. IF we did we'd have RNH facing off against a much higher level of competition than he is ready for. He needs time to develop and we don't have any other centers ready to fill that kind of role as Gagner isn't good on the draw.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
Horcoff is the heart and soul of the Oilers. He is our best player, captain, and leader, on and off the ice. To be traded it would have to be an overpayment and even then it would be a tough sell. I hope we extend him asap before he becomes a UFA.
Hey look, a member of the Horcoff family is on HFboards!

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
If a team wants to reach the cap floor and wait for it's prospects to develop Horcoff would be a perfect fix. There are some teams that could use Horcoff and would take him, no questions asked. I hate to say this, but Horcoff does have some good points. He is adequate 3rd line C that plays the PK well and if necessary the PP (that if the team is desperate). Just has that lousy contract, thanks to K.Lowe.
So a 7th & a useless prospect (to open the roster slot) if you can find such a team?

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

If Horc had a similar contract to Smyth there would be a lot less hate from hfoil. Unfortunately this is the real world where Horcoff is a reasonable #3C on.a contract that stinks.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Hey look, a member of the Horcoff family is on HFboards!
Probably it's Bob Stauffer, he's always going on how valuable Horcoff is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
So a 7th & a useless prospect (to open the roster slot) if you can find such a team?
Were do the Oilers sign.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:28 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl;54134351[B
]If a team wants to reach the cap floor and wait for it's prospects to develop Horcoff would be a perfect fix.[/B] There are some teams that could use Horcoff and would take him, no questions asked. I hate to say this, but Horcoff does have some good points. He is adequate 3rd line C that plays the PK well and if necessary the PP (that if the team is desperate). Just has that lousy contract, thanks to K.Lowe.

I don't agree.
Horcoff is due $6m in actual salary in 2012-2013.

Teams looking to reach the cap floor, will be looking for players like Vis ($5.6m cap hit, but $3m in actual salary) or Thomas ( $5m cap hit,but saying he won't play).

No team is gonna look to pay Horcoff $13m, over the next 3 seasons.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
I think if the Oilers really wanted to move Horcoff, they would need to approach a deep pocketed team and make a deal like Burke's deal with the Preds, the Lombardi/Franson deal.

Even then, I don't think it will be easy to find a trade partner, with the cap expected to drop and Horcoff due a lot more then Lombardi was due.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
He won't return anything other than a bad contract. Next year when he is making 4m then 3m the following season is when he might be able to be moved.
He'll still have the same cap hit, you know...

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
yakupov and rnh will cost u a lot of money soon
Yeah, and we're barely afloat after those massive Hall and Eberle contract, right?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
He'll still have the same cap hit, you know...
Yep, but he would only have to be paid 4m and then 3m in actual dollars. Might be usefull to a team who is tight on the purse strings who needs to hit the cap floor.

His contract is worse than he is.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil9 View Post
What you give for him? He is a decent 3rd liner so who would you trade for him?

Fire Away
Horcoff is going to be a really tough sell to any team because of the 2nd & 3rd years.

Assuming no significant change in the marketplace as a result of the CBA (i.e. rollback matches salary reduction), a guy like Horcoff would actually have a bit of value if he only had 1 year remaining, simply because there's a lot of money still to be spent this year. Some teams can throw $5.5m on the 3rd line, and it wouldn't impact their ability to solve other needs. However, the 2nd year and uncertainty that a future market brings basically destroys all of his trade value and then some.

It's for that reason, that the proposals which come close to equating Horcoff with guys like Connolly or Lombardi are completely ubsurd. The latter are players with 1 year remaining, pose no future risk to a team, and certainly provide more bang for the buck on cap hits. Even something that involves Komisarek makes absolutely no sense, especially considering the Leafs abundance of depth centres and lack of shutdown defencemen.

Even the notion of making a Lombardi-type deal is a tough one for Horcoff. Remember, Lombardi was expected to at least start on the LTIR where he doesn't count against the cap (but does have to be paid because his contract was uninsured)... which made his contract more appealing to a deep pocketed team who didn't care about actual money paid out. That's not the case with Horcoff, so acquiring him is going to mean $5.5m you can't spend elsewhere, for the next 3 years.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote