HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

vCash: 500
Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

They should be starting soon enough, October 12th.

To get started:
What do you think the line combos will be?
Points predictions?
ECHL bound players?
What players on Detroit's roster do you think will end up starting the season in the AHL?
Coaching?

Old
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Dekesyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
They should be starting soon enough, October 12th.

To get started:
What do you think the line combos will be?
Points predictions?
ECHL bound players?
What players on Detroit's roster do you think will end up starting the season in the AHL?
Coaching?
All i can say is im pumped for Jurco to be in GR. He was putting up great numbers in the QMJHL and is "Supposedly" a Datsyuk 2.0 so i would like to see him prove himself. I can see him being 2nd line 1st line at the end of the season no problem im putting him somewhere at .8 points a game

Old
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
newfy

Was gonna start this thread actually.

Not sure about lines right now but we will see Ferraro in a larger role, he was starting to move into the top 6 by the end of last season. Sheahan and Jurco should also see significant roles. I hope Jurco can play in the top 6 because I dont see him as being useful in the bottom 6 at all and dont wanna see him buried.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Assuming there is a lockout...

I would like to see a top 6 that includes:
Jurco, Tatar, Shehan, Nyquist, Ferraro, and Andersson.

On defense I would like to see a top 4 that includes:
Smith, Lashoff, Almqvist, and Nicastro

Don't know what kind of AHL veterans we have or what roles they will play, but that's what I would like to see.

Oh and Mrazek in net, getting lots of games.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
ChadS

Brunner will play in the AHL when the NHL locks out. There was an article on MLive that mentioned that, I think.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Probably something like...

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Parkes-Marc-Aubry-Callahan
Nestrasil-Ferraro-Glendening

Evans-Smith
Lashoff-Almquist
Whatever-Who Cares

Mrazek
MacDonald (till he gets traded)

This is the best team they've had since 2009... Good Grief. I'm definitely gonna get out for a few dollar hotdog nights, so you might see me at the Van.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:33 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Alright, super pumped to have the Griffins thread back. I think they return to the playoffs this year. Like what they have down the middle, some talent up front. Questions remain about the blue line but if there is a lockout Smith fixes that.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

http://www.griffinshockey.com/team/roster/

Now this doesn't have Brunner, Nicastro, and Jurco on it. But it does have some of the other AHL guys that have been asked about in this tread. Will curious how the slot guys into this lineup. I think the lockout will push a lot of guys around, for instance it probably slides Nicastro into a start in the ECHL. But some of the players we are putting in because they are Wings prospects will slide out as well in favor of older guys we might be less high on. For instance I don't see Pare on very many of the above lines, there is no way that guy isn't in the lineup and quite frankly he probably will start out in the top 6 over Jurco much to the ire of a lot of people around here. Now he would bump him at some point but just saying Pare has been playing top 6 minutes for two years in GR and putting points, I don't doubt they value him down there over some of the guys we are listing.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

http://www.griffinscentral.com/depth.html

Old
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I sure hope that is wrong. Unless they think the best way for Sheahan to develop some offense is to center the 4th line of an AHL team and play with Glendening and Callahan If that's the case, I'd rather see him play the 4th line center for the Wings, if there is a season.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I sure hope that is wrong. Unless they think the best way for Sheahan to develop some offense is to center the 4th line of an AHL team and play with Glendening and Callahan If that's the case, I'd rather see him play the 4th line center for the Wings, if there is a season.
We will find out, but I could see with a lockout both Jurco and Sheahan starting on the third line. I think Ferraro winds up out on the wing on which line remains to be seen but I think that is where he is. Andersson, Aubry, Raedeke, Sheahan, Glendening all seem the route they will go down the middle. Besides Ferraro showed a lot of promise on the wing last year. He and Aubry have good chemistry, hope to see them still on the same line, think that could be the second line out of the gate surprising some people. If the decision is made to split Ferraro and Aubry assuming lockout in this projection.

Tatar - Andersson - Pare
Nyquist- Ferraro - Brunner
Grant - Sheahan - Jurco
Raedeke - Aubry - Callahan
Parkes

In Toledo: Glendening, Coetzee, Nestrasil

Lashoff - Smith
Paetsch - Evans
Almqvist - Nicastro
Fournier

In Toledo: Billins

MacDonald
McCollum

In Toledo: Mrazek, Pearce

Jurco could supplant Pare in quick order, I just think people need to understand having watched the Griffins a decent amount Pare is a trusted top 6 guy. What I would like to see personally.

Tatar - Andersson - Brunner
Nyquist - Sheahan - Jurco
Ferraro - Aubry - Pare
Grant - Raedeke - Callahan

same D.

McCollum
Mrazek

I want MacDonald shipped, probably will be very tough with his AHL salary being one way this year and north of 500K.

I don't think McCollum will be in Toledo for his contract year. Think the Wings will send Mrazek to get the most games possible in this case. I know people will be disappointed but with the current goalies in the system, I just think he starts in the ECHL this year. Not because of talent just because of organizational decisions.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

^ Pretty good overview. Only thing I would note is that Glendening is not a center. Ferraro may be put on the wing, but if one of Andersson, Aubry, Raedeke, or Sheahan are hurt, he will likely need to slide back to the middle.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Well, he is a rookie, and the guys ahead of him are more experienced. However, I'd expect Ferraro to be on a wing, which would make Aubry and Sheahan the 2nd and 3rd line centers.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
^ Pretty good overview. Only thing I would note is that Glendening is not a center. Ferraro may be put on the wing, but if one of Andersson, Aubry, Raedeke, or Sheahan are hurt, he will likely need to slide back to the middle.
Not as totally familiar with Glendening. I really like him as a player, thought he did do some center work at U of M. Know you know more about U of M so good to know moving forward. Really a bad part of the lockout aside from just how terrible it would be as a fan, is some of the guys that come up on the short end in the AHL level. Glendening should be on Grand Rapids, he will be a very good bottom line player because of how complete his game is next year.

For me Raedeke will center the fourth line, so I had trouble with the depth chart posted earlier where he was 5th, someone will move to wing. Want Ferraro with Aubry, those two play great together. Like you said if injuries happen Ferraro can slide back in the middle.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
newfy

Tatar - Andersson - Pare
Nyquist- Sheahan - Jurco
Raedeke - Ferraro - Coetzee
Grant - Aubry - Callahan
Parkes

In Toledo: Glendening, Nestrasil

Lashoff - Almqvist
Paetsch - Evans
Fournier - Nicastro

In Toledo: Billins

MacDonald
Mrazek

In Toledo: Mccollum, Pearce

I only see Andersson as a center ahead of Sheahan on that roster. Sheahan will out perform Ferraro this season and earn the top 6 ice time.

I'm iffy on Nyquist being there but just cant be sure, figured I would put one of him or Brunner but I have a feeling neither will be around

My third line has some scoring punch but also plays a solid physical, grinding game as well. Perfect third line for the AHL. I expect Ferraro to impress this year because he really came on at the end of last season

The 4th line is just to have Grant with the 2 young tough guys to mentor them a bit and have their back. Cally and Aubry could provide some decent offense this year with around 13 goals each.

My D is questionable, doubt Almquist is top pairing but wanted a puck mover there

Mccollum is gonna lose his spot in the AHL to Mrazek this year hwo is way to competitive and confident to not be there.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Tatar - Andersson - Nyqvist/Brunner
Pare - Sheahan - Jurco
Grant - Ferraro - Aubry
Parkes - Nestrasil - Callahan

Billins, Raedeke, Coetzee, Fournier and Glendening are useless. ECHL players.

Lashoff - Almqvist
Paetsch - Evans
Need a new player - Nicastro

Old
09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
This is my Griffins is there's no lock-out:

1. Tomas Tatar - Joakim Andersson - Tomas Jurco
2. Andrej Nestrasil - Riley Sheahan - Willie Coetzee
3. Luke Glendening - Louis-Marc Aubry - Landon Ferraro
4. Trevor Parkes - Brent Raedeke - Mitchell Callahan
Triston Grant - Francis Pare

Triston Grant is a goon and Pare just a depth foward. Good guy to sit in the box, let the kids play and develop. There will always be injuries and rotation because of the 3-game in-a-row schedules.

1. Adam Almqvist - Nathan Paetsch
2. Brian Lashoff - Max Nicastro
3. Gleason Fournier - Brennan Evans
7th Chad Billins

1. Peter Mrazek
2. Joey MacDonald

Toledo goalies:

1. Tom McCollum
2. Jordan Pearce

If MacDonald gets traded, then Pearce goes to Griffins back-up.

But, if there will be lock-out the team changes.

1. Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner

Nyquist and Andersson had good swedish chemistry at last season, then you add more skill with Brunner. Brunner replaces "Brunner" Fabian Brunnstrom on that line with better handness and it will be interesting to see his play and how will he fit in.

2. Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

This first axel of Slovakian connection is in my mind kind of a no-brainer to use at the start of the season. That makes adjusting for Jurco to professional most easy. Let the national guys play their game together. Tatar should get othervise the 1st line duty, but that could happen later in the season, when the lockout ends and Brunner and Nyquist frees the spots. He could also eat more minutes on the penalty kill.

3. Luke Glendening - Louis-Marc Aubry - Landon Ferraro

People are underestimating Luke Glendening without any clue of his level of play. He is natural leader and a great defensive forward. This line will the a great shut-down line for Griffs, with or with NHL-help.

4. Trevor Parkes - Brent Raedeke - Mitchell Callahan

Crash and band "poor man's grind line" with realiable Raedeke at center, power-forward Parkes at other wing and Dirty Harry Callahan on right wing. Everybody will love this line. Parkes would have some extra ice-time on special teams, both PK and power-play (sreening role). He could also be the first to be lifted to 1-2 scoring lines, if there's some suffling.

Nestrasil, Coetzee, Grant and Pare on the pressbox/rotation or at Toledo.

1. Nathan Paetsch - Brendan Smith

Paetsch is almost like new "Janik", steady stay-at-home "Father figure" to be paired with young puckmoving defencemen. Paetsch has also good overall puckmoving skill for AHL-level. When Smith is gone, he will be paired with Almqvist.

2. Brian Lashoff - Adam Almqvist

Only player from last year's Griffins defence left is Lashoff. He could build some steadiness for rookie Almqvist for his season start. Stay-at-home - offensive roles here also like on the 1st pair.

3. Brennan Evans - Max Nicastro

Physical Evans paired with physcal Nicastro, should be good defensive pair on the penalty kill.

Billins, Fournier are the depth guys, at Toledo, pressbox or rotation.

1. Peter Mrazek
2. Joey MacDonald

Hope the goalie combo is this. JoeyMac is a good guy to tutor our "next Hasek".

Toledo goalies:

1. Tom McCollum
2. Jordan Pearce

If MacDonald gets traded, then Pearce goes to Griffins back-up, but I'd prefer JoeyMac.

Power-play:

1st PP
-------------------------- Tatar(L - screener/corner guy)
Brunner(R - sniper) ------------------------------- Nyquist(L - playmaker)
------- Smith(L - Q-back) ---------- Sheahan(L - Q-back + takes the faceoff and goes to play the point)

2nd PP
--------------------------- Parkes(R - screener)
Ferraro(R - sniper/playmaker) --------------------- Jurco(L - sniper/playmaker) (Ferraro takes the faceoff)
------ Paetsch(L - Q-back) --------- Almqvist(L - Q-back)

Penalty kill:

Aubry - Glendening
Andersson - Callahan
Raedeke - Parkes

Lashoff - Smith
Evans - Nicastro

If there's a lock-out, where can I find a source to see all Griffins games? I'm really interesting this team, because in these guys we see our future.

Last edited by Henkka: 09-12-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 07:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Pare - Sheahan - Jurco
Grant - Ferraro - Aubry

Lashoff - Almqvist
Paetsch - Evans
Theres no way Nestrasil centers that 4th line with Raedeke and Coetzee are options

Old
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Pare - Sheahan - Jurco
Grant - Ferraro - Aubry

Lashoff - Almqvist
Paetsch - Evans
For a useless ECHL player it is funny that Raedeke has not spent a second in that league. It is hard to believe even in a lockout scenario that he winds up in Toledo. Sorry just not going to happen. If you have seen the Griffins, you would know he is pretty useful at what he does. Might never be an NHL player but he is a very good AHL player and still has offensive upside at that particular level.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
For a useless ECHL player it is funny that Raedeke has not spent a second in that league. It is hard to believe even in a lockout scenario that he winds up in Toledo. Sorry just not going to happen. If you have seen the Griffins, you would know he is pretty useful at what he does. Might never be an NHL player but he is a very good AHL player and still has offensive upside at that particular level.
Yep Raedeke is a very good AHL grinder and the type of guy you need down there to work hard and do the little things that the unpolished young guys might not do.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:40 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Pare - Sheahan - Jurco
Grant - Ferraro - Aubry

Lashoff - Almqvist
Paetsch - Evans
You're going to pencil Nestrasil into the Griffins top-12 (at center no less??) and then call Raedeke, Coetzee, and Glendening useless? Glendening will probably be the most useful of the four. And Raedeke and Coetzee spent all of last season in GR, while Nestrasil, for good reason, spent 2/3 of his in the ECHL.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
The center core is most obvious at Griffins. Don't know how they build the wingers, but centers with almost a guarantee will be:

Offensive line centers:
Andersson
Sheahan

Defensive line centers:
Aubry
Raedeke

Pare is a depth option and Ferraro is put to wing if everybody is healthy.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
The center core is most obvious at Griffins. Don't know how they build the wingers, but centers with almost a guarantee will be:

Offensive line centers:
Andersson
Sheahan

Defensive line centers:
Aubry
Raedeke

Pare is a depth option and Ferraro is put to wing if everybody is healthy.
This kind of points out to me that the Wings don't have much in the way of depth at center, at least in terms of offensive upside. Sure, there's Jarnkrok, but if he busts, there really isn't anybody to fill that spot. Sheahan is the closest thing, but 2nd line C is about where he maxes out, I think. and even then, I don't see him as a huge producer even on a scoring line, but more of a Brendan Morrison type guy (although actual styles of play are very different) who anchors two scoring wingers.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
This kind of points out to me that the Wings don't have much in the way of depth at center, at least in terms of offensive upside. Sure, there's Jarnkrok, but if he busts, there really isn't anybody to fill that spot. Sheahan is the closest thing, but 2nd line C is about where he maxes out, I think. and even then, I don't see him as a huge producer even on a scoring line, but more of a Brendan Morrison type guy (although actual styles of play are very different) who anchors two scoring wingers.
I am not going to pretend he is the greatest thing ever but Brendan Morrison centered what many people feel was the best line in hockey for a two or three year period. He won the Hobey Baker and was an impressive scorer. He was easily the third best player on the line but a pretty good offensive player in every league aside from the NHL and Elitserien (.98) he was over a point a game player often times massively. Hey I hope Sheahan develops an offensive game.

Right now I would probably throw out a name like Hanzal a guy that can slide up and down the lineup has offensive upside but is a big physical defensive force. I would personally like to have a Hanzal type player so I find this exciting. If Sheahan can become a big power play guy his numbers will be in the 50's, with the right linemates even strength 60's. However if that doesn't happen he is still a pain to play against.

I still hope he finds his offense in a big way next year. He has a plus shot, he likes to skate up the middle through traffic, can play point or in front of the net on the PP. Will throw in a couple of short handed goals as he is great at getting in lanes on the PK.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Since It looks like the lockout will happen, I'll post my lockout roster/lines

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Parkes-Aubry-Callahan
Glendening-Raedeke-Ferraro

Paestch-Smith
Almquist-Lashoff
Evans-Nicastro

MacDonald
Mrazek

I don't think Pare or Tease has a place on this team. More talent is coming in, and I think they get pushed out.

I would absolutely love if Jarnkrok was centering that top line.

I see nobody has mentioned the coaching yet...How does everyone feel about Bashill?

Good?
Bad?
At least he isn't Fraser?(my vote)

Honestly I love the fact that Brunner is playing in the AHL this season. I see him finishing top 10 in scoring.

Closed Thread