HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Re-do the 2006 NHL Entry Draft - #3

View Poll Results: Who's number 3?
Erik Johnson 3 2.31%
Jordan Staal 6 4.62%
Nick Foligno 0 0%
Nicklas Backstrom 102 78.46%
Phil Kessel 17 13.08%
Derrick Brassard 0 0%
Kyle Okposo 0 0%
Peter Mueller 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier 0 0%
Bryan Little 0 0%
Jiri Tlusty 0 0%
Michael Grabner 0 0%
Milan Lucic 2 1.54%
Semyon Varmolov 0 0%
Patrik Berglund 0 0%
Other (List) 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-05-2012, 12:48 AM
kingsboy11
Starter in Sochi

vCash: 500
I was looking through the list and like "I don't know who to pick!", then I saw Backstrom

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
Backstrom AINEC

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 50
Backstrom

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:35 AM
PayItForward

Backstrom.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
it should be Backstrom but I picked Kessel.

Backstrom looked terrible last year and I can't understand why. I thought he was magnificent the other years, what made Ovechkin so productive, but as Ovy's fallen off the map, Backstrom seems to have as well.

I think Backstrom will bounce back. He's far too skilled, smart, hard-working and good in all aspects of the game, with and without the puck. I'm guessing last year was just an off year.

But Kessel has been nothing but consistent his whole career and he's still young, still improving. He's got zero support in Toronto, he's a one-man show on offense and he's only getting better. He gets dumped on a lot on these boards, sometimes unfairly.

The stats can confuse. They can make Backstrom look worse than he is, on an off year. But Kessel's numbers, based on his circumstances, are pretty impressive. If he scores fifty this year, we should re-do this thread.
Hahaha seriously? Backstrom was our best player by far and over a PPG pace before getting a concussion and being out for half of the season.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Niklas Backstrom.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:34 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Hahaha seriously? Backstrom was our best player by far and over a PPG pace before getting a concussion and being out for half of the season.
compared to his first two season, when he had 88 and 100+ pts, I'd say his last two were way off that peak.

He didn't fall off as much as Ovy, granted, but I always felt Backstrom was the underrated star on that Washington team. His game is so well-rounded, he should be (and is) slump-proof, since he does so many things at a near-elite level.

Never know how the concussion will impact his game, scary stuff.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:52 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I'd have the top-3 in this order:

1) C.Giroux
2) N.Backstrom
3) J.Toews

At their peaks, Giroux and Backstrom have been a big step up over Toews, so Toews should be 3rd.

Giroux just came off a superelite season while Backstrom's similar season came 3 seasons ago so Giroux has to have the edge at the moment for the top spot. ...though Backstrom's best season IMO was at least slightly better than Giroux's best so I could see some picking Backstrom for top spot.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Nick Backstrom

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
Is it fair to compare him to Thorton/Kovalchuk? Kovalchuk has played more then double Backstroms total career games, Thorton, almost triple. If Backstrom can maintain over a point/game during that span then compare him to them. As far as I'm concerned Ovi may have helped get those extra stats and Backstrom belongs perfectly at 3 for now.
I wasn't comparing them so much as demonstrating how incredible Backstrom has been. Even if Ovie helped inflate those stats (a harder argument to buy right now given that Backstrom was a point/game this past year with Ovie playing as a shadow of his former self), the stats he's posted in his career are clearly above and beyond what anyone else in the draft class have posted at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Backstrom looked terrible last year and I can't understand why. I thought he was magnificent the other years, what made Ovechkin so productive, but as Ovy's fallen off the map, Backstrom seems to have as well.
Do you define "last year" as 2011-2012? Because then Backstrom put up 44 points in 42 games, and spent a portion of the year out of game shape because he was coming back from 40 games off thanks to Rene Bourque's cheap shot. That's hardly "falling off the map."

If you define "last year" as 2010-2011, then it was indeed Nicky's worst season. But even as his worst season, he still put up 65 points. 65 points is better than all but one of Phil Kessel's seasons.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote