HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brayden Schenn to the Oilers?

Old
09-06-2012, 10:32 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Schenn & Couts are incredibly overvalued in Philadelphia. They just traded for the former's brother, and the latter took massive strides this year, while being one of their most heavily relied upon centres. Dying seconds of a close game with a defensive zone faceoff, and they've got a teenager taking the draw... that's all you really need to know. They're basically drooling at the thought of having G-Schenn-Couts up the middle for the next 10 years... all it's gonna take is another year or two of development so they won't need Briere.

Sure, the Oilers do have what it takes for the Flyers to reconsider their plan, but unless you're talking straight up, I think the Flyers pass. Even straight up for Yakupov would be a tough sell to Paul Holmgren IMO.

None of those deals are going to make sense to the Oilers... so there's really no point in pursuing it.

If Edmonton wants to get a gritty centre, they're best off to look elsewhere.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The "closest thing to Gretzky fans will get to experience" is not just a "stylistic comparison."
To be fair, I'm a Canucks fan. But I certainly do appreciate Nuge's talent and I loathe Oilers fans because he plays at their barn 41 times a year.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
To be fair, I'm a Canucks fan. But I certainly do appreciate Nuge's talent and I loathe Oilers fans because he plays at their barn 41 times a year.
We understand that sentiment well. Watching Edmonton born Iggy torch us over the years has been painful. Now we got Calgary born Hall and Burnaby born RNH to stick it to both of you guys!

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
lolwut?

Rnh >>>> couturier
Quote:
RNH will be the closest thing to Gretzky fans will get to experience and you're telling me people think Couturier is better? Based on what? Scoring against Malkin who isn't supposed to play defense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
A lot of people do. Not saying he's as good, but his playing style/vision is very similar.

RNH > Couturier. not close. imo of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post

you don't need to be the most physical team to win a game in the playoffs.
Quote:
not many new fans of the game or fans of the east get to witness the Oilers play, so be easy on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoy8 View Post
If you think that Couterier will be half the player RNH will be, you're in for a huge disappointment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
You seem touchy to me. Comparing RNH to the style Gretz plays is not the same as saying he will be the next Gretzky. You guys are wetting yourselves quite messily over a stylistic comparison.

BTW, VinnyC is a Canucks fan, so you can stop with the "Oiler fans think RNH is Gretzky!" stuff.
Here are some of the quotes and posts I was talking about. I put in my previous posts why I think they will be similar players in the near future(2-3 years), but it just seems many posters idea of an argument is RNH>>>>>Couts or it's not even close is all that is needed. I laid out why I believe they will be on the same or close to the same level, but I have not had one other poster(besides smackdaddy, who I disagree with his assessment of Couts, but appreciate his post) who responded with a respectable answer. Instead Wayne Gretzky's name keeps getting thrown around.

I was not just talking about the Gretzky comparisons though, I wanted a viable, reasonable answer to why RNH will be "so much" better than Couts. Haven't really received one.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Did you really just compare Gretzky and RNH?? Really.
Yes and I have countless times as well. The style they play is eerily similar. No one is saying that RNH is anything close to Gretz, but they do share a lot in common. It's ok, you will understand in time.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

RNH and Couturier are two completely different players, what's the point of comparing them? One will be an elite offensive force dominating on the powerplay and the other will be an elite defensive force dominating on the PK / shutting down the games best.

Wish both players were on my team.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Canucks fan? really!? I think you're riding shotty on the Oilers band wagon as we speak today, you're only lying to yourself.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
RNH and Couturier are two completely different players, what's the point of comparing them? One will be an elite offensive force dominating on the powerplay and the other will be an elite defensive force dominating on the PK / shutting down the games best.

Wish both players were on my team.
My argument was that Couts in 2-3 years will have the offensive game that will be equivalent to a 1st line center. Right now he is strictly being used in a defensive role, but in the future(this year even) he will be used more and more for the offensive side of his game. He has great offensive abilities to go along with his defensive prowess. I think the gap that so many people think between RNH and Couts offensive game won't be there in few years.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:50 PM
bsmith14

RNH has probably the best vision, passing and hockey IQ since Tavares. He had the best 18 year old season since Crosby and has a very accurate shot. A few scouts from the west said he had the best vision since Gretzky, that's how the comparisons started, but as fans got to watch him play we understood the comparison better. He had a hat trick in his (5th?) game. He made veteran "star" dmen like Keith, Suter, Weber, Seabrook, Doughty etc look stupid and clueless almost every game. His ability to pickpocket the puck in the defense/neutral zone is very much like Datsyuk. People say he is too small yet he rarely got hit and when he did he wasn't ever caught by the same guy again. He also dished out some serious hits and even injured Brenden Morrow with a clean hard check. Unless Couturier is progressing to be a top 5 center in the league then RNH is going to be better than Couts. I am not saying this because I am a homer, I am actually far from it and those who read my posts know this too. I am very critical of all players, especially those on the Oil.

IMHO RNH>Hall,Eberle,Couturier,Yakupov

With that said, how about Yakupov for B Schenn and B Coburn?

Last edited by bsmith14: 09-06-2012 at 10:55 PM.
bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
People need to stop putting Couts in trades. Also need to stop with the Schenn trades too. Couts is the only defensive forward they have on the team that can consistently shut down one of the top offensive players in the game (Malkin) and he is young and will improve his offensive game in time. With Lavy being the head coach of the Flyers they need the forwards to play good defense in that system and if they don't it will be very hard for that team to win once the playoffs come around.

And Schenn. The whole Schenn/Schenn playing together will bring a lot of excitement and energy to the team I am sure because they both play a very gritty gritty game. So, Schenn should have more value to play with the Flyers then any other team because of that.

Offering up your top pick already though? The Oilers have a lot of potential and no way they get rid of any of their top picks. You have to build around them like the Penguins did. Being the worst team for consecutive years can get you a Stanley Cup in a few years from there if you build around them correctly.

flyersfan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
lakai17

Gagner will be fine on the second line with all this Brayden Schenn hype going on, Schenn isn't getting move with his brother coming to Philly, JVR > Luke ...isn't Brayden playing on the third line? and for how long? can he play wing on the top 6 or too much depth in Philly? Gagner drops the gloves as well and wouldn't get knocked out by Ilya Kovalchuk.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
My argument was that Couts in 2-3 years will have the offensive game that will be equivalent to a 1st line center. Right now he is strictly being used in a defensive role, but in the future(this year even) he will be used more and more for the offensive side of his game. He has great offensive abilities to go along with his defensive prowess. I think the gap that so many people think between RNH and Couts offensive game won't be there in few years.
Fair enough, IMO RNH has much higher offensive potential. Maybe it's just me but I think Couts will turn out very similar to J.Staal (who is no slouch, 25g in 62gp last season).

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
lol, Oilers fans want no part of a forward who would instantly become their grittiest (would have led Oilers in hits last year even though he only played 54 games) forward who has skill and huge upside to boot.

Players like Schenn are guys you want to be on your team for the playoff run. lol, Oilers fans think their team will win just on pure skill.

Your team is soft as butter. Good luck winning in the playoffs like that.
I do agree that our team is soft in general and that we won't win with a lineup like this, but this makes me laugh just because of the awful goaltending tandem that Philly has (Oilers is bad too). Good luck winning the playoffs with Bryz.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:56 PM
BrindamoursNose

I don't know if anyone in Philly overvalues Schenn really. I think we merely point out Philly won't trade him (from organization standpoint) because he is the cornerstone in our re-build from Richie/Carter.

Adding Couturier in the initial deal is just too much. Gagner is basically chalked up at this point as not panning out. So I would not do Schenn/Couturier for Nail/Gagner. I feel the former helps us better long-term.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
4EDM14OIL93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
No...not even close.
You are correct.

4EDM14OIL93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:08 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
I see way more Giroux and Burmistrov nominations than RNH exept for the occasional Oiler fan who chimes in. Most agree that no one is really comparable to him.

hopefully i missed the sarcasm

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
4EDM14OIL93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
He had a hat trick in his (5th?) game.
3rd.

4EDM14OIL93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:21 AM
YesYesYall

The poster who compared RNH to Gretzky isn't an Oilers fan.

Couturier is incredibly overrated by Philly fans, as is Schenn. I like them both, but what RNH will become in a few years will make it clear that he is in an entire different realm than these Couts and Schenn.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:33 AM
laundryman

Quote:

Flyers need defense, so moving Coburn makes no sense.

The only piece from the Oilers that would interest the Flyers would be Schultz

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:

I was not just talking about the Gretzky comparisons though, I wanted a viable, reasonable answer to why RNH will be "so much" better than Couts. Haven't really received one.
Sorry. My post was buried on page 1.

I personally think he's much better then Huberdeau and if the draft was held today he would likely go 3rd but I believe RNH to be quite a few steps ahead of him. Couturier has a wide range of skills that helped him succeed in juniors but I don't believe that will translate well into the NHL unless he specifically focuses on one part of his game. 2-way centers are prized for sure, but tend to lack in production. I see him settling in as a 2nd or 3rd line center. That is not a bad thing either, but due to the nature of his game he will likely excel more in "shutting down" the opposing top line while putting up some good numbers as well then being tasked with generating the offense as a #1 center. Unless you want to make the bold claim of comparing him to Bergeron?

Compared to RNH who has incredible natural talent and focused on the offensive side of the game rather than a jack of all trades approach Couturier has, RNH has not only extreme talent and Gretzky-like vision but is in the perfect environment for his talents to shine. At the end of the day, having more points on the scoreboard is what wins hockey games and in my mind there is no doubt RNH will outscore Couturier heavily.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:14 AM
LotteryForLife*

Common sense would tell you that Philly just acquired Brayden's brother. His name is Luke. He's considered a pretty talented young defenseman. So it really makes NOOOOOOOOOOOOO SENSE FOR PHILLY TO TRADE BROTHER BRAYDEN!!!

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:19 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I don't understand this website som...most times

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
What has Yakupov done to warrant that sort of return?

Something around Schenn and Yakupov or Schultz makes some degree of sense--with the Flyers adding for the former, and the Oilers for the latter. I think it would be a mistake to move Schenn for Schultz at this point, but as a starting point, the value is probably fair.

Kudos to the OP for not putting Yakupov and Schultz off limits.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Stopping Malkin from scoring against him, is what it's based on. Most (all?) of his points came on the power play when he wasn't on the ice.
And you can't be serious about the Gretzky comparison.
I also base all my opinions and very small sample sizes.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
PayItForward

Quote:
Flyers need defense so they're going to trade away Coburn?

Flyers just acquired Luke Schenn so they're going to trade away his brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Fair enough, IMO RNH has much higher offensive potential. Maybe it's just me but I think Couts will turn out very similar to J.Staal (who is no slouch, 25g in 62gp last season).
I agree. That's what I see him as too but apparently he's already a superstar and a franchise player.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote