HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doan to make decision in a few hours (Still a few teams in play)

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
JoeLH

vCash: 500
I don't want to crash a party, but for me that means Doan is all but gone forever in about a week if Glendale doesn't agree to sign the leasing deal it first seemed they already had agreed to. My feeling is that has to do with a potential lockout. And if that is really the case, it doesn't look that good for the Coyotes' (and Doans') future in Glendale ...

Old
09-06-2012, 11:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much. No one played his game though I think, and he ain't getting top dollar from no one because all the good teams are mostly near the cap.
My god.

09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Good, thankfully he's staying there and not coming east. I didn't want the Rangers to sign him at that supposed ridiculous asking price, but I'm happy for Phoenix and the fans and for him. A feel good story, if you will.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
My god.
Why the facepalm? I kind of actually agree with him.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

The reason is well known, he wants an owner to commit to the team before he signs. He's probably worried about signing there without a committed owner because he could end up in Quebec one day.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Quote:
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much.
Is this a serious question? The very obvious answer is that the ownership situation in Phoenix was (and still is) uncertain, and Doan did not want to sign with a team that may be moved shortly as he wants his family to settle down. He felt loyalty towards Phoenix, so he has given them as much time as possible. Very, very straightforward for most people to understand, you'd think.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Because there is no mystery to this. It's extremely simple.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:11 AM
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Translation: Doan wants to stay in Phoenix, like he's said all along. Whether he does is dependent on getting an owner.

Spoil:
Duh?

Old
09-07-2012, 12:24 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Is this a serious question? The very obvious answer is that the ownership situation in Phoenix was (and still is) uncertain, and Doan did not want to sign with a team that may be moved shortly as he wants his family to settle down. He felt loyalty towards Phoenix, so he has given them as much time as possible. Very, very straightforward for most people to understand, you'd think.
You conveniently ignore the second portion of my post. If it wasn't true then why did he bother to visit 5 (as far as we know) major NHL cities? Got the grand tour and all.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!

Quote:
You conveniently ignore the second portion of my post. If it wasn't true then why did he bother to visit 5 (as far as we know) major NHL cities? Got the grand tour and all.
Because he's not entirely stupid and he realizes Phoenix is in deep dog-do with the ownership situation. He was seeing what deals there were to be had, as I think anyone would have in his shoes.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:38 AM
massivegoonery

Does this mean that we can now merge the long, boring Doan thread into the infinitely longer, slightly less boring Coyotes BoH thread?

Old
09-07-2012, 12:48 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 1281
he's a coyote, quit ur yappin, they are solid

Old
09-07-2012, 12:52 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Saw this coming when he bluffed with his first deadline. Would look it up,but way too lazy.

This is just good for everyone. I'm happy. Phoenix is happy. Doan is happy. Now get a season going and make it happen.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:11 AM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Quote:
Because if the Phoenix situation did fail, he would look pretty stupid if he had no other options lined up. He told each team that he would be signing in Phoenix if at all possible and that all other teams were merely backup options. Vancouver's assistant GM Lawrence Gilman is on the record as confirming this.

Doan very clearly kept his priorities straight. Family first, and the team he has played his entire career for second. Everything has to come first. Who exactly did he hurt with his actions, other than the teams that wanted him and did not get him? And if you can't answer that question, then ask yourself what possible obligation Doan could have to teams and fans of teams that he has never played for.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:19 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Because if the Phoenix situation did fail, he would look pretty stupid if he had no other options lined up. He told each team that he would be signing in Phoenix if at all possible and that all other teams were merely backup options. Vancouver's assistant GM Lawrence Gilman is on the record as confirming this.

Doan very clearly kept his priorities straight. Family first, and the team he has played his entire career for second. Everything has to come first. Who exactly did he hurt with his actions, other than the teams that wanted him and did not get him? And if you can't answer that question, then ask yourself what possible obligation Doan could have to teams and fans of teams that he has never played for.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
For sure. I don't think Doan needs to explain anything to anyone, except for maybe his employers.

But to me, this desire to stay in Phoenix could bite him in the ass. If the deal in Phoenix breaks down and he's forced to look to those backup options, how quickly is the tune going to change when the new CBA expects a cap drop to the high 50's/low 60's? He will likely have to take a significant pay cut and entertain offers from undesirable teams as many of the high end teams will be cutting salary. That's a pretty big risk to take for someone who is supposedly thinking family first. He could very well end up making a lot less then what he could have if he made a big boy decision this past summer.

Doan has this tunnel vision about Phoenix and the opportunity cost that could potentially be lost is significant.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Mathew Barzal
HF Canuck fans= lolz

Well then, according to some people the Luongo deal was pending on this one overrated UFA. I expect to see him shipped out within a day.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:58 AM
kiwidevil

Good to see some loyalty. Congrats Coyotes.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:09 AM
PCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For sure. I don't think Doan needs to explain anything to anyone, except for maybe his employers.

But to me, this desire to stay in Phoenix could bite him in the ass. If the deal in Phoenix breaks down and he's forced to look to those backup options, how quickly is the tune going to change when the new CBA expects a cap drop to the high 50's/low 60's? He will likely have to take a significant pay cut and entertain offers from undesirable teams as many of the high end teams will be cutting salary. That's a pretty big risk to take for someone who is supposedly thinking family first. He could very well end up making a lot less then what he could have if he made a big boy decision this past summer.

Doan has this tunnel vision about Phoenix and the opportunity cost that could potentially be lost is significant.
At this point in his career/life, I would imagine he's willing to trade some money for security. I think him not immediately signing a $7.5 million deal (rumored) proves that. He will still get his cash in Phoenix.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Crows*

To me this looks like doan is frustrated at the process and how long it's taking and this is his way of pressuring the situation. While I think the odds are he will go back to phoenix... it isn't over yet. There is still a good chance this could fall thru.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:12 AM

Am I the only one reading this who thinks that Doan is still 50/50 to sign somewhere else on the 15th?

Old
09-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Am I the only one reading this who thinks that Doan is still 50/50 to sign somewhere else on the 15th?
NO. I'm in that boat as well.

Doan has probably had a "done deal" to sign with the coyotes for quite some time now.

I think this is his way of saying "put up or shut up or im leaving"

Old
09-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much. No one played his game though I think, and he ain't getting top dollar from no one because all the good teams are mostly near the cap.
Obviously you are missing the point. He wanted to stay but onlu if ownership worked out

Old
09-07-2012, 02:47 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Does anyone care at this point to where he signed? I'm just glad he finally signed lol

Last edited by KingKopitar11*: 09-07-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old
09-07-2012, 04:17 AM
JuniorNelson

Doan wants to stay with Phoenix and will make it work. This is good for the Coyotes and great for Vancouver!

Old
09-07-2012, 06:23 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Does anyone care at this point to where he signed? I'm just glad he finally signed lol
he has?

Closed Thread