HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doan to make decision in a few hours (Still a few teams in play)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
  #51
JoeLH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
I don't want to crash a party, but for me that means Doan is all but gone forever in about a week if Glendale doesn't agree to sign the leasing deal it first seemed they already had agreed to. My feeling is that has to do with a potential lockout. And if that is really the case, it doesn't look that good for the Coyotes' (and Doans') future in Glendale ...

JoeLH is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:27 PM
  #52
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 46,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much. No one played his game though I think, and he ain't getting top dollar from no one because all the good teams are mostly near the cap.
My god.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
  #53
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 500
Good, thankfully he's staying there and not coming east. I didn't want the Rangers to sign him at that supposed ridiculous asking price, but I'm happy for Phoenix and the fans and for him. A feel good story, if you will.

The Amity Affliction is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
  #54
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing
 
MillarWithASave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
My god.
Why the facepalm? I kind of actually agree with him.

MillarWithASave is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
  #55
SephF
5-14-6-1
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
The reason is well known, he wants an owner to commit to the team before he signs. He's probably worried about signing there without a committed owner because he could end up in Quebec one day.

SephF is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
  #56
stevecanuck16
Registered User
 
stevecanuck16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much.
Is this a serious question? The very obvious answer is that the ownership situation in Phoenix was (and still is) uncertain, and Doan did not want to sign with a team that may be moved shortly as he wants his family to settle down. He felt loyalty towards Phoenix, so he has given them as much time as possible. Very, very straightforward for most people to understand, you'd think.

stevecanuck16 is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:53 PM
  #57
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 46,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Why the facepalm? I kind of actually agree with him.
Because there is no mystery to this. It's extremely simple.

rt is online now  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:11 AM
  #58
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,849
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Why the facepalm? I kind of actually agree with him.
Translation: Doan wants to stay in Phoenix, like he's said all along. Whether he does is dependent on getting an owner.

Spoil:
Duh?

ProstheticConscience is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:24 AM
  #59
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Is this a serious question? The very obvious answer is that the ownership situation in Phoenix was (and still is) uncertain, and Doan did not want to sign with a team that may be moved shortly as he wants his family to settle down. He felt loyalty towards Phoenix, so he has given them as much time as possible. Very, very straightforward for most people to understand, you'd think.
You conveniently ignore the second portion of my post. If it wasn't true then why did he bother to visit 5 (as far as we know) major NHL cities? Got the grand tour and all.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
  #60
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,849
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You conveniently ignore the second portion of my post. If it wasn't true then why did he bother to visit 5 (as far as we know) major NHL cities? Got the grand tour and all.
Because he's not entirely stupid and he realizes Phoenix is in deep dog-do with the ownership situation. He was seeing what deals there were to be had, as I think anyone would have in his shoes.

ProstheticConscience is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:38 AM
  #61
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,565
vCash: 500
Does this mean that we can now merge the long, boring Doan thread into the infinitely longer, slightly less boring Coyotes BoH thread?

massivegoonery is online now  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:48 AM
  #62
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 1281
he's a coyote, quit ur yappin, they are solid

muckbin15 is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 12:52 AM
  #63
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 40,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Saw this coming when he bluffed with his first deadline. Would look it up,but way too lazy.

This is just good for everyone. I'm happy. Phoenix is happy. Doan is happy. Now get a season going and make it happen.

ColePens is online now  
Old
09-07-2012, 01:11 AM
  #64
stevecanuck16
Registered User
 
stevecanuck16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You conveniently ignore the second portion of my post. If it wasn't true then why did he bother to visit 5 (as far as we know) major NHL cities? Got the grand tour and all.
Because if the Phoenix situation did fail, he would look pretty stupid if he had no other options lined up. He told each team that he would be signing in Phoenix if at all possible and that all other teams were merely backup options. Vancouver's assistant GM Lawrence Gilman is on the record as confirming this.

Doan very clearly kept his priorities straight. Family first, and the team he has played his entire career for second. Everything has to come first. Who exactly did he hurt with his actions, other than the teams that wanted him and did not get him? And if you can't answer that question, then ask yourself what possible obligation Doan could have to teams and fans of teams that he has never played for.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

stevecanuck16 is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 01:19 AM
  #65
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Because if the Phoenix situation did fail, he would look pretty stupid if he had no other options lined up. He told each team that he would be signing in Phoenix if at all possible and that all other teams were merely backup options. Vancouver's assistant GM Lawrence Gilman is on the record as confirming this.

Doan very clearly kept his priorities straight. Family first, and the team he has played his entire career for second. Everything has to come first. Who exactly did he hurt with his actions, other than the teams that wanted him and did not get him? And if you can't answer that question, then ask yourself what possible obligation Doan could have to teams and fans of teams that he has never played for.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
For sure. I don't think Doan needs to explain anything to anyone, except for maybe his employers.

But to me, this desire to stay in Phoenix could bite him in the ass. If the deal in Phoenix breaks down and he's forced to look to those backup options, how quickly is the tune going to change when the new CBA expects a cap drop to the high 50's/low 60's? He will likely have to take a significant pay cut and entertain offers from undesirable teams as many of the high end teams will be cutting salary. That's a pretty big risk to take for someone who is supposedly thinking family first. He could very well end up making a lot less then what he could have if he made a big boy decision this past summer.

Doan has this tunnel vision about Phoenix and the opportunity cost that could potentially be lost is significant.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
  #66
Mathew Barzal
HF Canuck fans= lolz
 
Mathew Barzal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Well then, according to some people the Luongo deal was pending on this one overrated UFA. I expect to see him shipped out within a day.

Mathew Barzal is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 01:58 AM
  #67
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,526
vCash: 500
Good to see some loyalty. Congrats Coyotes.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:09 AM
  #68
PCooper
Registered User
 
PCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For sure. I don't think Doan needs to explain anything to anyone, except for maybe his employers.

But to me, this desire to stay in Phoenix could bite him in the ass. If the deal in Phoenix breaks down and he's forced to look to those backup options, how quickly is the tune going to change when the new CBA expects a cap drop to the high 50's/low 60's? He will likely have to take a significant pay cut and entertain offers from undesirable teams as many of the high end teams will be cutting salary. That's a pretty big risk to take for someone who is supposedly thinking family first. He could very well end up making a lot less then what he could have if he made a big boy decision this past summer.

Doan has this tunnel vision about Phoenix and the opportunity cost that could potentially be lost is significant.
At this point in his career/life, I would imagine he's willing to trade some money for security. I think him not immediately signing a $7.5 million deal (rumored) proves that. He will still get his cash in Phoenix.

PCooper is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:09 AM
  #69
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
To me this looks like doan is frustrated at the process and how long it's taking and this is his way of pressuring the situation. While I think the odds are he will go back to phoenix... it isn't over yet. There is still a good chance this could fall thru.

Crows* is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:12 AM
  #70
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 50
Am I the only one reading this who thinks that Doan is still 50/50 to sign somewhere else on the 15th?

604 is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:15 AM
  #71
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Am I the only one reading this who thinks that Doan is still 50/50 to sign somewhere else on the 15th?
NO. I'm in that boat as well.

Doan has probably had a "done deal" to sign with the coyotes for quite some time now.

I think this is his way of saying "put up or shut up or im leaving"

Crows* is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:19 AM
  #72
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What the

But seriously, if you're going to just stay in phoenix then why drag it out so much. No one played his game though I think, and he ain't getting top dollar from no one because all the good teams are mostly near the cap.
Obviously you are missing the point. He wanted to stay but onlu if ownership worked out

Rabbit is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:47 AM
  #73
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
Does anyone care at this point to where he signed? I'm just glad he finally signed lol


Last edited by KingKopitar11*: 09-07-2012 at 02:55 AM.
KingKopitar11* is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 04:17 AM
  #74
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 50
Doan wants to stay with Phoenix and will make it work. This is good for the Coyotes and great for Vancouver!

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 06:23 AM
  #75
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 22,079
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Does anyone care at this point to where he signed? I'm just glad he finally signed lol
he has?

me2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.