HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
ozo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Very few associate Yuri Gagarin and "evil" together. Gagarin was a very likeable guy and nobody hated him even in the West.
That wasn't my point and neither I personally think Gagarin was evil. Though he was a symbol and a propaganda tool of widely hated country, that's all.

If former Soviet (bloc) countries with a team in the league doesn't care about the name, potential Western members won't as well. That said, I'm not a fan of copying the NHL in first place, why the hell the trophy needed a patron at all I'll never know?

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Very few associate Yuri Gagarin and "evil" together. Gagarin was a very likeable guy and nobody hated him even in the West.

Finland is one the most russophobic countries in the World and even there a popular song was dedicated to Gagarin (Fly, Yuri Gagarin, fly).

For those interested here is a clip from Gagarin's visit to Finland in 1961: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUU2ky-mznw
Says the biggest russophile in Finland...

Finns have pretty good historic reasons for being suspicious re: Russia but that's not exactly the point of this thread.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:46 AM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
So they connected the trophy's name with a bigger evil in eyes of Europeans - Soviet Union.
You've figured it out. Forget hockey, international recognition and the trophy. Medvedev's evil plan was to expand hockey to the west and remind them at the end of every season about the evil they suffered during the USSR days , muahahahahaha.

What better way to do it than through the first cosmonaut in space which is clearly a major propaganda tool used in the past

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:02 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
You've figured it out. Forget hockey, international recognition and the trophy. Medvedev's evil plan was to expand hockey to the west and remind them at the end of every season about the evil they suffered during the USSR days , muahahahahaha.

What better way to do it than through the first cosmonaut in space which is clearly a major propaganda tool used in the past
Gagarin is a symbol of CCCP victory over the US, when they got their man to the space first... its clear they want to indicate the same goal for KHL, to beat NHL, mainly the US product

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Gagarin is a symbol of CCCP victory over the US, when they got their man to the space first
Yes, but he was only a symbol. Sergei Korolev was the real hero. The forgotten man. He was pure genius.

Peter25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

funny discusion about Gagarin cup. When i figured out of stupid propaganda stories, i'm hearing good name for winner cup. Sounds like lady GAGA, or so...

Jeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:08 AM
jaco

[QUOTE=QnebO;52208019]The product isn't finnished enough[QUOTE]
Old hockey rule: you have to finnish you czechs..

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Eidyia

I don't see any reasons for Finnish (or Swedish) clubs to join the KHL at this point as we are doing just fine.

In Finland the SM-liiga is by far the most popular league in the country and even the second tier Mestis is in the top-5. So why risk that position?

Some posters made a point about players leaving to NHL as a bad thing for the domestic leagues but that hasn't made an impact in attendances during the years, quite the opposite actually: Clubs are marketing players like Granlund - "See the future NHL-star! Mikael's last year in the red jersey" etc.

Somekind of Nordic-league with relegation/promotion might be fun, maybe. But with one or two clubs leaving to some humongous Russian/pan-European league would kill my interest in club hockey completely especially if my team would go for it.

And this has nothing to do with the so called russophobia - I love their country and the people but I just don't see it profitable neither for the KHL or the FEL/SEL at this point. Maybe in the future.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
I don't see any reasons for Finnish (or Swedish) clubs to join the KHL at this point as we are doing just fine.

In Finland the SM-liiga is by far the most popular league in the country and even the second tier Mestis is in the top-5. So why risk that position?

Some posters made a point about players leaving to NHL as a bad thing for the domestic leagues but that hasn't made an impact in attendances during the years, quite the opposite actually: Clubs are marketing players like Granlund - "See the future NHL-star! Mikael's last year in the red jersey" etc.

Somekind of Nordic-league with relegation/promotion might be fun, maybe. But with one or two clubs leaving to some humongous Russian/pan-European league would kill my interest in club hockey completely especially if my team would go for it.

And this has nothing to do with the so called russophobia - I love their country and the people but I just don't see it profitable neither for the KHL or the FEL/SEL at this point. Maybe in the future.
I hope, you're not at risk in point of fun. What is different ??? When your players (did not make the NHL) are in KHL clubs and If you will create just one brand new club for KHL, the players will love the fact to play KHL at home.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
cydas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
I hope, you're not at risk in point of fun. What is different ??? When your players (did not make the NHL) are in KHL clubs and If you will create just one brand new club for KHL, the players will love the fact to play KHL at home.
Yes but the hockeyfans from other cities than the one with the new KHL team won't love the fact that SM-liiga's quality decreases..

cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
It's not about the players. I want to see Oulu vs. Helsinki, Oulu vs. Tampere, Oulu vs. Turku etc.

If one team like Jokerit (from Helsinki) would join the KHL, I'd have hard time to believe that the rest of the nation would cheer for them - they aren't even the number one in Helsinki!

Some of you guys are seriously underestimating the value of traditions.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
If one team like Jokerit (from Helsinki) would join the KHL, I'd have hard time to believe that the rest of the nation would cheer for them - they aren't even the number one in Helsinki!
If they joined I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be cheering for them anytime soon

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:13 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I think Finland and Sweden should keep their leagues but ALSO have one dominant team in the KHL who is a powerhouse. This would sort of up the ante for the KHL since these teams could be bigger than CSKA SKA Kazan etc. The local leagues wouldn't lose either since its just 1 team so the whole country would follow their local club in the SPL and then watch the national team in the KHL.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
EbencoyE

There's already tournaments for national teams (world championships, Olympics)

there's no need for national teams in the KHL, at least when talking about countries with decent leagues like Sweden and Finland. if it's a small country with a subpar league like Ukraine and Latvia, that's another story.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post

there's no need for national teams in the KHL, at least when talking about countries with decent leagues like Sweden and Finland. if it's a small country with a subpar league like Ukraine and Latvia, that's another story.
Especially last WC part in Sweden was a joke. Masterpiece of a lack of interest.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I think Finland and Sweden should keep their leagues but ALSO have one dominant team in the KHL who is a powerhouse. This would sort of up the ante for the KHL since these teams could be bigger than CSKA SKA Kazan etc. The local leagues wouldn't lose either since its just 1 team so the whole country would follow their local club in the SPL and then watch the national team in the KHL.
That may be something that we see in the future.

As for now, major Nordic leagues are doing fine. Just look at Sweden - they're developing numerous first round picks every year! Also, as Stockhom-Helsinki or Tampere-Göteborg don't attract big audiences how do you expect them to draw spectators against even more obscure Russian or Eastern European teams?

Old
08-11-2012, 11:40 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Do guys see any more teams joining KHL from Latvia, Belarus, or Kazakhstan?

Also do any of you see expansions in Estonia, Lithuania or Poland?

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

Well not from Latvia any time soon,we just don`t have enough money to have 2 KHL clubs,maybe if some russian oligarch sponsered it but thats really really unlikely.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Omark

Quote:

No.

Omark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Basketball for Lithuania and Estonia. Volleyball, Basketball and Football for Poland.

No room for Ice Hockey.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
yunost

Quote:
Basketball for Lithuania and Estonia. Volleyball, Basketball and Football for Poland.

No room for Ice Hockey.
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/k...s_tv_contract/

they can make some room

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post

I think this more appropriate, and was seen with the IIHF reporting Medvescak Zagreb joing the KHL.

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I think this more appropriate, and was seen with the IIHF reporting Medvescak Zagreb joing the KHL.
Zagreb is the top candidate for 13/14.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote