HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Rig Brew Pub

Old
08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Karlstrobe
"Lets Win It All"

vCash: 500
What days are really better to go? I live right beside bayshore so pinecrest is a walk away for me. Id love to try it out when Chris is there.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:53 PM
TheBandWagon

I don't know if it's been said in this thread yet, but they make their own ketchup there. and I love it

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:02 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Anyone know if they've improved their service at all yet? Sadly, it's the reason keeping me from wanting to go back.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
ErikNorrisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandWagon View Post
I don't know if it's been said in this thread yet, but they make their own ketchup there. and I love it
Did not know. I was unimpressed when I was offered a tiny side of ketchup instead of a Heinz bottle. Makes sense now.

ErikNorrisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Zedrow

vCash: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Anyone know if they've improved their service at all yet? Sadly, it's the reason keeping me from wanting to go back.
I don't know what it was like before but when I went the service was great. I didn't have to wait for a beer at all (I sat at the bar).

My friend ordered nachos, and after what felt like about 15-20 mins. the manager came over and told him they were free due to the wait.

Also, at the end of the night, we were given a couple of shooters on the house.

I really can't complain and had a great time.

Last edited by Zedrow: 08-24-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add:
Zedrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I've been once. Service was fine, though the place was pretty empty.

I'd give big rig another chance. It's a new restaurant. Growing pains are inevitable.

If the manager is comping food because it took too long to get to you, that's a positive sign to me.

The food was pretty good. The beer was good.

I'll be back.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Marklar*

my experience was good. Loved the BR Brown, and the Stud Stout. Hated the seasonal German heffe beer. The Red was also good.

The pizza is amazing, but it's HUGE. WAY too much cheese for my liking. I have no idea what Montreal style is, but it's apparently that.

Wings are huge and tasty.

Burger was bland, kinda frozen like.

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
i was there 2 months ago and the service was not great. I was there 2 weeks ago and the service was very good. Could have been the server or the time, but i thought it appeared to be more organized. My food was much better too. i'd go back.
(i agree with above, the pizza has a LOT of cheese. some of the food still needs some tweaking.)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Was there tonight for the third time. No issue with the service. Finally got a pint of something rather than a sampler. The IPA is adequate, nothing special. Had the Big Rig Muffuletta. It was good, but waaaay too much bun. I do like their fries, though, so that was good. They have some good ketchup there as well (I think they make their own...?). Those who I was with had the fish and chips, that looked good as well.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
CapitalCityGoofball

Was there last week and there is definitely room for improvement wrt the service. They are obviously young and inexperienced and don't really know what they are doing.

I do like the place though, food and beer is decent, cool atmosphere.

CapitalCityGoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
jordan7hm

They got torn up in the Citizen on Thursday.

His criticism was pretty fair, but on the other hand, don't order that food in a place that specializes in pub stuff. (And Big Rig, stop offering it if you can't do it right.)

I went again on Saturday and it was good, not amazing. The service is very hit or miss (I've been about 7 times now.) The food is good, but some things are clearly better than others. Their pizza is good if you like a cheesy pizza, and I really like their Fish Sandwich (though not as good on Saturday). Their fries aren't warm enough and the poutine is the most disgusting poutine I've ever eaten in a non-fast food restaurant.

The beer is plain, but good. The Raspberry Wheat he has on right now is pretty solid. Tart, not too sweet. I'm looking forward to the pumpkin ale as well. The Stout is also solid.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
They got torn up in the Citizen on Thursday.

His criticism was pretty fair, but on the other hand, don't order that food in a place that specializes in pub stuff. (And Big Rig, stop offering it if you can't do it right.)

I went again on Saturday and it was good, not amazing. The service is very hit or miss (I've been about 7 times now.) The food is good, but some things are clearly better than others. Their pizza is good if you like a cheesy pizza, and I really like their Fish Sandwich (though not as good on Saturday). Their fries aren't warm enough and the poutine is the most disgusting poutine I've ever eaten in a non-fast food restaurant.

The beer is plain, but good. The Raspberry Wheat he has on right now is pretty solid. Tart, not too sweet. I'm looking forward to the pumpkin ale as well. The Stout is also solid.
The comments section in that article of the citizen is pretty funny. People complaining that they don't review the beer in a food review.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Smash88

vCash: 1000
I went yesterday with my Wife. She had the fish and chips and said they were really good.. I had the meat lovers pizza (Quattro Carne or something like that) and it was awesome! Although huge! You can easily split a small between two people... This pizza was easily one of the better pizza's I've eaten in Ottawa. Waitress was great, very friendly and efficient.

Had the Gold beer and the wife tried a sampler of Brown, Red, Raspberry and the german one hefenweizen or something like that.. The Gold was awesome, so was the red and the german one.. Wife loved the raspberry one..

Will definitely be going back! and hope to get a growler this time!

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:23 AM
CoachesDecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I went yesterday with my Wife. She had the fish and chips and said they were really good.. I had the meat lovers pizza (Quattro Carne or something like that) and it was awesome! Although huge! You can easily split a small between two people... This pizza was easily one of the better pizza's I've eaten in Ottawa. Waitress was great, very friendly and efficient.

Had the Gold beer and the wife tried a sampler of Brown, Red, Raspberry and the german one hefenweizen or something like that.. The Gold was awesome, so was the red and the german one.. Wife loved the raspberry one..

Will definitely be going back! and hope to get a growler this time!
That's funny, I went there with my wife about 2 weeks ago and she had the fish and chips (which she really liked) and I had the Quattro Carne to which was really good but way too big (which is never a problem). Made a great lunch the next day.

Believe it or not, I also had the gold and the wife had the raspberry one too! lol

I thought the service was great, it wasn't very busy but we hardly waited for anything, the food was fresh and good tasting.

CoachesDecision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud SENS Fan!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
Was there last week and there is definitely room for improvement wrt the service. They are obviously young and inexperienced and don't really know what they are doing.

I do like the place though, food and beer is decent, cool atmosphere.
That about sums up my 2 visits to the place! I doubt my wife will wanna go back!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Bob Kudelski

I thought it was very average all around. I wanted to like it, but I felt that something was lacking.

I had the fish and chips. It was very average fish and chips. Not great, not terrible. Mind you, I just had the best fish and chips in my life recently in Boston.

My girlfriend had the fish tacos.. very average to below average. I tried one and did not enjoy it.

The beer was quite good. We had the gold and the raspberry.

The service was actually pretty good. Our waitress was really nice. One thing that was strange is that none of the servers were mentioning the seasonal beers to the customers, and when we asked what they were, the had to ask around to find the answer.

Oh and for what it is, the prices for everything looked about $2 more than they should be.

I would go back for beer and maybe try the wings, nachos or pizza. But I wouldn't order real food there again.

I don't think my girlfriend will go back again.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Icelevel
Relentless

No female i've been there with has liked it and all said they would not go back. Just realized. (small sample size but that's 3 out of 3)

Sounds like a lesson there. Guys are easier to please. Aim to please the ladies.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Valois

When I went I got the lobster ravioli - the ravioli itself was okay but it came with a nice parsnip puree and some very solid scallops. I was hungry from working out and also tried the fish tacos, which were not that great (should be done with fresher seasonings, chipotle is too heavy for fish IMO).

The beers ranged from solid to very good, and I'd definitely go back for the beer, my only concern is that the food seems hit-or-miss and I'm not sure what's good on the menu. The service was actually excellent but I imagine that depends on the server.

I do want to try the nicoise salad, it looked good.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Marklar*

It is pretty simple on what they need to do. Identify what foods they are really good at making/which foods are their best sellers/which foods are loved the most (through surveys etc.), and reduce the menu to include only those.

Restaurants like this often have way too many items, so a lot of the food is average. Just go with your best stuff, make the menu smaller, and people will love it.

The menu is too big right now. It is like a chain restaurant's menu

Keep it small, stupid.

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Meant to check last time I was there, but does anyone know if they've started bottling more than just the Gold yet?

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Smash88

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Meant to check last time I was there, but does anyone know if they've started bottling more than just the Gold yet?
I was there last week and it was still only Gold... Although you could fill a growler with whatever is on tap...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
No female i've been there with has liked it and all said they would not go back. Just realized. (small sample size but that's 3 out of 3)

Sounds like a lesson there. Guys are easier to please. Aim to please the ladies.
Maybe it's you?

Old
09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Ohhh Franco

Stopped by for my second visit last night and this time I sat at the bar. First off, if they want to be taken seriously as a "sports bar" or even just as a casual place to watch the game, they gotta add more/bigger/better tvs....and spring for HD. No HD in 2012? Tv's at the bar are way too small and WAY too high.There's a a nice big brick wall at the back of the "bar" side that's just begging for a pair 65' plasmas or one big, high end projector screen. Amateur effort in my opinion.

Raspberry beer was by far the highlight of this visit. Better than the Clocktower's or the St Ambroise I've tried this summer.

Pizza was very solid. Not spectacular, certainly not terrible. On par with the Club sandwich I had the first time I visited.

Staff? I really hope the three bartenders working Friday night were'nt driving home. They and some desperate wanna be bartender buddy of there's had probably as many shots as I had pints of beer in the two hours I was there. Over all atmosphere seems very West End Ottawa. Feels like the same staff, patrons, decor, and feel as O'connor's, Grace O'Malleys West, Crazy Horse, Marshy's, Bert's, Finnigans..........

It's a decent place. Think it'd be a terrible idea for them to open multiple locations though. I'll be curious to see how this one location is doing in a year or two.

Overall, it kinda reminds of Chris Phillips himself. Solid NHLer, good quote and decently smart, married a local girl, great family man, but always leaves me wanting more.

PS - How many times do you think in his career has Chris Phillips actually shaken off his gloves? Not just fight, but even drop them in a scrum when guys are pushing, pulling and pinning?

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:17 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Well since you asked I do remember Phillips actually removing his helmet to fight someone many years back, but I believe he has an eye problem that eating fists wouldn't help.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
otown

Thought the Big Rig Golden is one of the best micro-brews I've had anywhere recently. Hat's off to the brewmaster! On the other hand the fish and chips I ordered
left a little to be desired. Fries were not very hot as another post indicated and the fish was so-so. I'll definitely go back for the beer and maybe try some appetizers.
Ottawa is finally tapping (no pun intended) into the micro-brew craze that US cities have enjoyed for years.

otown is offline   Reply With Quote