HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Seeking Info for KHL Tour

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
  #1
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Seeking Info for KHL Tour

I'm planning a trip to Russia to see a few KHL games and visit some touristy venues. What is the best way to line up tickets? Is there an english language website to do this? Also, where is the best place to stay close to arenas and sites? Any info is appreciated.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
  #2
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
How far do you expect to go? I mean you can have KHL from Prague to Khabarovsk now.

There is no centralized english site for tickets. You just try the team's sites.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
  #3
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
To avoid visa trouble you could go to Bratislava, Prague or Riga (all EU).

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
  #4
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
To avoid visa trouble you could go to Bratislava, Prague or Riga (all EU).
I mean he wrote "Russia"...

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  #5
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I'm planning a trip to Russia to see a few KHL games and visit some touristy venues. What is the best way to line up tickets? Is there an english language website to do this? Also, where is the best place to stay close to arenas and sites? Any info is appreciated.
First of all, when are you planning on going and where do you want to go...try being a bit more specific.. have you ever been to Russia before? Can you speak any Russian?

I'll be in Russia (Moscow) from Sept.23rd. to the mid December. I don't go to many KHL games, but I'm sure I can give you some advice on games in either Moscow or St. Petersburg. Getting tickets is the easy part.

But in order to get there, you'll need to get an official invitation in order to obtain a visa. (if you book at a hotel/hostel) they can provide you with the official invitation. If you need a name of a hotel in St. Petersburg (not so cheap..but depends are you a budget traveler?) I can give you info where to book. If you book a longer stay in the hotel they'll supply you with the invitation free of charge.

Once you get your visa all you have to do is show up and enjoy... most young people in St. Petersburg/Moscow speak some English, it's easy to meet people...no worries there. The further east you travel, the more difficult it becomes.

if you have any specific questions..then just pm a message.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
  #6
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
If you plan to go farther than Moscow and St.Petersburg and haven't ever been to Russia, I would advise strongly to find someone among the natives to help you.
Atas and Mr.Writer are right, it will be easier to give you a good advice if you say something more specific.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:07 PM
  #7
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
First of all, when are you planning on going and where do you want to go...try being a bit more specific.. have you ever been to Russia before? Can you speak any Russian?

I'll be in Russia (Moscow) from Sept.23rd. to the mid December. I don't go to many KHL games, but I'm sure I can give you some advice on games in either Moscow or St. Petersburg. Getting tickets is the easy part.

But in order to get there, you'll need to get an official invitation in order to obtain a visa. (if you book at a hotel/hostel) they can provide you with the official invitation. If you need a name of a hotel in St. Petersburg (not so cheap..but depends are you a budget traveler?) I can give you info where to book. If you book a longer stay in the hotel they'll supply you with the invitation free of charge.

Once you get your visa all you have to do is show up and enjoy... most young people in St. Petersburg/Moscow speak some English, it's easy to meet people...no worries there. The further east you travel, the more difficult it becomes.

if you have any specific questions..then just pm a message.
Never been to Russia and can't speak the language. I was planning on January and mainly staying around Moscow. I know I have many details to finalize and was not aware of the official invitation and visa issues. I naively thought a Canadian passport would open most doors this day and age. Thanks for the info and advise.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:06 AM
  #8
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Well, the best advice I can give you for a January trip and how best to get there and best bang for your travel dollar...

You are travelling in the off-season, so that's a bonus right there. Because you are a rookie, I'd suggest a better base for your Russian winter adventure would be St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg is a much smaller city and a lot less chaotic, a little cheaper and easier to navigate than is Moscow. Moscow is just a whirling mess of people and if they're not going a 120 kms an hour, they're stuck in grid-lock and usually not in a good mood. After a few days you can venture down to Moscow on the train once you get your whits about you and you know which way is up in Russia.

I'd suggest a 3 game game hockey tour if you are indeed a hockey mad fan... St. Petersburg to Yaroslavl and then on to Moscow. I'd suggest you try making a few friends in those cities via social media before departure, but as I said, meeting new people in Russia is always easy, go to any cafe, restaurant, wherever, striking up a conversation with locals is never difficult. But try and learn some words of Russian as much as possible.

A friend of mine in St. Petersburg manages a small hotel in the center of city. Very nice place, a little upscale, a little on the expensive side, maybe not in your budget. I'll pm you the website. They'll arrange an official invitation for you once you book a room. Once you receive the invitation via email, you must fill out a visa application form which you download from the Russian embassy website or consulate. If you happen to live within driving distance of the Russian embassy or consulate, take the invitation, visa application form, your passport and passport photos to the embassy or send it via post, Fedex, UPS etc.....with a chq. for the visa, standard wait is a few days...

Once you get your visa then its off you go...

You'll have to search for cheap flights to St. Petersburg. Don't automatically assume Air Canada will get you there cheap. (if you are flying from Canada.) When I was a student travelling to Russia, usually if my destination was St. Petersburg, then I went to Helsinki, Finland and then took the train to St. Petersburg.

Anyway, you got time to plan, so if you have any questions, then let us know. Hope this helps.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:37 PM
  #9
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Anyway, you got time to plan, so if you have any questions, then let us know. Hope this helps.
Thanks again. Good info and I'll lay this out to my potential travelling comrades. If the plan comes together I may take you up on the offer and pm with additional questions.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  #10
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Say you are staying in Moscow, then you can easily do day trips to visit games in nearby cities:

1) Yaroslavl: by train from Yaroslavsky station, between 3 and 4 hours. The city is certainly worth checking out.

2) Mytischi: from Yaroslavsky station to Tajninskaya, then a 15 min walk. Alternatively from Yaroslavsky to Mityschi, and a bus.

3) Ignore Vityaz. Please do not contribute to these goons with your money.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.