HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread IV: Vorassic Park

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
After the predators paid him 27 million in a calendar year? Please.

There's no NMC/NTC because the Predators were under no obligation to give him one. He forced their hand on a contract to his specifications, why should they potentially get into a position where they would get peanuts a la Rick Nash, if they decided to trade him in 4 or 5 years? Weber got what he wanted--to be the highest paid dman in the league--but he doesn't get to be in the driver's seat in EVERY way.
You're half right.

No, he doesn't get to choose which team he gets dealt to, so they certainly wouldn't be getting peanuts for him. I'd imagine the compensation would be pretty hefty since 30 teams would be bidding against each other.

However, he has every right to request a trade after July 1, 2012. In which case, yes, the Nashville Predators would be paying 27M dollars for a single season of Shea Weber, that is, if there is no lockout.

That doesn't necessarily mean that he WILL ask for a trade. I am only thinking worst case scenario for Nashville.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If anything, the preds will be keeping him for 2 years and trading him at the draft of 2014..

Why pay 27m for a year of service when you can pay another 1m and have him for the extra season

09-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I agree about Briere, I think at the end of the day he's still valuable enough to the team to finish out his contract... though if the cap really does shrink to 58M... it does complicate things doesn't it? Would it be legal to possibly buy out Briere's contract to wash away the cap hit. Then sign him for the exact dollar amounts he's owed for the remainder of his previous contract. Thus shrinking his cap hit from 6.5M dollars to a more managable 4M.

edit: if we bought him out he would automatically make 8M dollars. He would then become a UFA and we could sign him for something closer to 3M per season and he would actually make MORE money.

double edit: Since he is also going through a divorce and he was married to his soon to be ex-wife at the time he signed the contract. Buying him out would mean that she only gets 1/2 of that 8M instead of 1/2 of 12M. Then by signing the new contract he alone would enherit the remainder of the money. Basically it's a cool way to both screw over your ex-wife and make more money.

I also agree about Bryzgalov, in the long run Bryzgalovs contract is going to be bad (Like Luongo Bad). However, we don't have much choice right now.

Pronger is a tough choice. After all he's done for us, I'd approach Chris and talk to him about it first. If he stays on the LTIR he makes more money, but I'd imagine that a player like Chris doesn't want to linger around on the LTIR collecting a paycheck for the rest of his career. If I were him, and I knew it was over. I'd rather accept the buyout and retire and start focusing on life after playing hockey, possibly with the Blues or the Flyers front office.

Shelley
Walker
Lilja

Walker serves the most purpose as a veteran on the AHL team, helping some of our younger players develop.

Shelley, is the enforcer and unfortunately is needed from time to time to take punches in the face.

Lilja, because of his 35 or older is a possible exception. Even if you buried him in the minors his cap hit would still count against the cap. That wouldn't be a problem this season if the cap is going to remain at 70+M but if it gets reduced down to 58M, that changes things pretty quickly doesn't it?
If we bought out briere, he wouldn't be allowed to sign with the flyers for a season

Old
09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Prongo
Beer

Since we might not be seeing NHL action... why don't we just tune in and watch some KHL action yo!

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/58/v-445984.html

Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If anything, the preds will be keeping him for 2 years and trading him at the draft of 2014..

Why pay 27m for a year of service when you can pay another 1m and have him for the extra season
yup the Preds arent going to shell out all that money and then trade him in July 2013. I think hes due another smaller bonus in 2014 as well, so we may be looking at 2015 at the earliest before hes dealt.
So sorry all you still wishing he will be a Flyer in a year or so.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup the Preds arent going to shell out all that money and then trade him in July 2013. I think hes due another smaller bonus in 2014 as well, so we may be looking at 2015 at the earliest before hes dealt.
So sorry all you still wishing he will be a Flyer in a year or so.
If owners get more revenue sharing like they are proposing in their offers of the CBA, it would lessen the blow the team will take in trading Weber. He is owed 13 million in signing bonus per year till 2015-2016 and 8 million per season after that until 2017-2018. If the player does not want to remain with the organization, you most likely will have to trade him. There were many reports that Weber signed that offer sheet fully hoping that Nashville could not match it. They did and it took them 2 months to sort out this mess, he still may be disgruntled. Weber is probably a professional though and will play like he always does. Next off season will be huge, to see if he walks into Poile's office and demands a trade. If that happens, and the Preds don't hold a grudge against us, I think it is open season for him. Every team will be competing with us though in trade talks. 2014 would be an ideal moment for the Flyers to acquire him at the draft, being it will be held in Philly.

All I am saying is I really don't think Weber will be in a Flyers Jersey, but I will not completely shut the door on that or any other possibilities.

One thing this year or two wait does do though, is allows our prospects to develop and maybe be more valuable in a trade for a stud dman. Cousins, Laughton, and other players drafted this year and last will be nearing their opportunity to show off what they have in the AHL or even NHL.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If owners get more revenue sharing like they are proposing in their offers of the CBA, it would lessen the blow the team will take in trading Weber. He is owed 13 million in signing bonus per year till 2015-2016 and 8 million per season after that until 2017-2018. If the player does not want to remain with the organization, you most likely will have to trade him. There were many reports that Weber signed that offer sheet fully hoping that Nashville could not match it. They did and it took them 2 months to sort out this mess, he still may be disgruntled. Weber is probably a professional though and will play like he always does. Next off season will be huge, to see if he walks into Poile's office and demands a trade. If that happens, and the Preds don't hold a grudge against us, I think it is open season for him. Every team will be competing with us though in trade talks. 2014 would be an ideal moment for the Flyers to acquire him at the draft, being it will be held in Philly.

All I am saying is I really don't think Weber will be in a Flyers Jersey, but I will not completely shut the door on that or any other possibilities.

One thing this year or two wait does do though, is allows our prospects to develop and maybe be more valuable in a trade for a stud dman. Cousins, Laughton, and other players drafted this year and last will be nearing their opportunity to show off what they have in the AHL or even NHL.
I thought the hangup on him not signing the matched offer sheet was Weber wanting a limited NTC.
I dont think Cousins is going to play in the AHL this season if there is a lockout. Well until his legal issue is taken care of IMO.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Since we might not be seeing NHL action... why don't we just tune in and watch some KHL action yo!

Alexandre Picard sighting.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:

Normally the only reason I watch the KHL is to see Kuznetsov, but since it's looking like there won't be NHL hockey on time I guess I'll turn to the KHL to get my hockey fix.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Shane Doan will be staying with the Phoenix Coyotes pending the finalization of new ownership. The most boring saga has come to an end.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Shane Doan will be staying with the Phoenix Coyotes pending the finalization of new ownership. The most boring saga has come to an end.
Thus closes another channel in the Annals of Obviousness.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thus closes another channel in the Annals of Obviousness.

Also on the main trade board, a fan just compared RNH to Gretzky... I don't even know how to respond to that.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:

Also on the main trade board, a fan just compared RNH to Gretzky... I don't even know how to respond to that.
I look forward to RNH's 137 point sophomore season. That will be an impressive improvement on his 50-something points this year.

09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I thought the hangup on him not signing the matched offer sheet was Weber wanting a limited NTC.
That was the rumour but I don't think it was confirmed by him or the team.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I look forward to RNH's 137 point sophomore season. That will be an impressive improvement on his 50-something points this year.
Arguing with them is fun actually. I listed several reasons why I think Couts and RNH will be comparable players in the future in terms of production, but their greatest argument is RNH>>>>>>>>Couts. Or the always reasonable RNH is better, and it's not even close, but give no reasons why. Also I was talking 2-3 years down the road,not necessarily right now. The Gretzky comparison still is being thrown around though.....

It's like talking to a wall out there. How do you say you think RNH isn't going to be anywhere near the caliber of player Gretzky was, but keep comparing them! Am I the crazy one?

Last edited by Prongo: 09-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old
09-06-2012, 11:27 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Arguing with them is fun actually. I listed several reasons why I think Couts and RNH will be comparable players in the future in terms of production, but their greatest argument is RNH>>>>>>>>Couts. Or the always reasonable RNH is better, and it's not even close, but give no reasons why. Also I was talking 2-3 years down the road,not necessarily right now. The Gretzky comparison still is being thrown around though.....

It's like talking to a wall out there. How do you say you think RNH isn't going to be anywhere near the caliber of player Gretzky was, but keep comparing them! Am I the crazy one?
Well that's not as bad as Pens fans STILL thinking Couturier can't handle Malkin. delusional fools.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Well that's not as bad as Pens fans STILL thinking Couturier can't handle Malkin. delusional fools.
lol, also funny how Oilers fans have the balls to talk about playoffs. Tell us we won't succeed, but just forget the last time they were relevant was with Pronger and during the lotto pick.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:17 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
He had 52.
In 62 games.

That's highly impressive rookie season imo.

But with Giroux in the fold, I actually like our set-up with Schenn and Couturier in the following positions a lot. It's a good mix of a little bit of everything.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I remember during the whole RNH losing the Calder to Landeskog oilers fans were saying that RNH has the best hockey sense and vision since Gretzky

Old
09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Also, there was a swedish oilers fan who told me Omark would score 300+ if he played when Gretzky did

Old
09-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I was watching some old documentary about the flyers from the 70s to the mid 90s..

It's hilarious how bad the goaltending is

Old
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I was watching some old documentary about the flyers from the 70s to the mid 90s..

It's hilarious how bad the goaltending is
True enough. So many of those goals are easy saves for a butterfly goalie with an ounce of flexibility. Watch pretty much any Guy Lafleur patented slapshot on the rush down the wing just inside the blue line. Even Leighton makes that save 8 out of 10 times. Then again, their equipment was half the size and three times the weight.

My namesake was still pretty good, though. I love watching the old games and seeing the skate blade save. Now that takes skill on a hard drive to the far post!

Old
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Even Malkin himself admitted that Couturier made it really hard for him

Old
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Someone in the media compared his vision to Gretzky a year ago and Oilers fans keep running with it.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Someone in the media compared his vision to Gretzky a year ago and Oilers fans keep running with it.
Sounds like Milbury

Seriously though, I googled for a while and only thing I found were a few people quoted saying RNH has the best vision "since" Gretzky.

Last edited by kudymen: 09-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Closed Thread