HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread IV: Vorassic Park

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
  #851
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
After the predators paid him 27 million in a calendar year? Please.

There's no NMC/NTC because the Predators were under no obligation to give him one. He forced their hand on a contract to his specifications, why should they potentially get into a position where they would get peanuts a la Rick Nash, if they decided to trade him in 4 or 5 years? Weber got what he wanted--to be the highest paid dman in the league--but he doesn't get to be in the driver's seat in EVERY way.
You're half right.

No, he doesn't get to choose which team he gets dealt to, so they certainly wouldn't be getting peanuts for him. I'd imagine the compensation would be pretty hefty since 30 teams would be bidding against each other.

However, he has every right to request a trade after July 1, 2012. In which case, yes, the Nashville Predators would be paying 27M dollars for a single season of Shea Weber, that is, if there is no lockout.

That doesn't necessarily mean that he WILL ask for a trade. I am only thinking worst case scenario for Nashville.

Flyerfan808 is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 02:46 AM
  #852
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,705
vCash: 50
If anything, the preds will be keeping him for 2 years and trading him at the draft of 2014..

Why pay 27m for a year of service when you can pay another 1m and have him for the extra season

__________________
Krishna is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 02:48 AM
  #853
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,705
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I agree about Briere, I think at the end of the day he's still valuable enough to the team to finish out his contract... though if the cap really does shrink to 58M... it does complicate things doesn't it? Would it be legal to possibly buy out Briere's contract to wash away the cap hit. Then sign him for the exact dollar amounts he's owed for the remainder of his previous contract. Thus shrinking his cap hit from 6.5M dollars to a more managable 4M.

edit: if we bought him out he would automatically make 8M dollars. He would then become a UFA and we could sign him for something closer to 3M per season and he would actually make MORE money.

double edit: Since he is also going through a divorce and he was married to his soon to be ex-wife at the time he signed the contract. Buying him out would mean that she only gets 1/2 of that 8M instead of 1/2 of 12M. Then by signing the new contract he alone would enherit the remainder of the money. Basically it's a cool way to both screw over your ex-wife and make more money.

I also agree about Bryzgalov, in the long run Bryzgalovs contract is going to be bad (Like Luongo Bad). However, we don't have much choice right now.

Pronger is a tough choice. After all he's done for us, I'd approach Chris and talk to him about it first. If he stays on the LTIR he makes more money, but I'd imagine that a player like Chris doesn't want to linger around on the LTIR collecting a paycheck for the rest of his career. If I were him, and I knew it was over. I'd rather accept the buyout and retire and start focusing on life after playing hockey, possibly with the Blues or the Flyers front office.

Shelley
Walker
Lilja

Walker serves the most purpose as a veteran on the AHL team, helping some of our younger players develop.

Shelley, is the enforcer and unfortunately is needed from time to time to take punches in the face.

Lilja, because of his 35 or older is a possible exception. Even if you buried him in the minors his cap hit would still count against the cap. That wouldn't be a problem this season if the cap is going to remain at 70+M but if it gets reduced down to 58M, that changes things pretty quickly doesn't it?
If we bought out briere, he wouldn't be allowed to sign with the flyers for a season

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
  #854
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Since we might not be seeing NHL action... why don't we just tune in and watch some KHL action yo!

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/58/v-445984.html

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
  #855
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,783
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If anything, the preds will be keeping him for 2 years and trading him at the draft of 2014..

Why pay 27m for a year of service when you can pay another 1m and have him for the extra season
yup the Preds arent going to shell out all that money and then trade him in July 2013. I think hes due another smaller bonus in 2014 as well, so we may be looking at 2015 at the earliest before hes dealt.
So sorry all you still wishing he will be a Flyer in a year or so.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
  #856
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup the Preds arent going to shell out all that money and then trade him in July 2013. I think hes due another smaller bonus in 2014 as well, so we may be looking at 2015 at the earliest before hes dealt.
So sorry all you still wishing he will be a Flyer in a year or so.
If owners get more revenue sharing like they are proposing in their offers of the CBA, it would lessen the blow the team will take in trading Weber. He is owed 13 million in signing bonus per year till 2015-2016 and 8 million per season after that until 2017-2018. If the player does not want to remain with the organization, you most likely will have to trade him. There were many reports that Weber signed that offer sheet fully hoping that Nashville could not match it. They did and it took them 2 months to sort out this mess, he still may be disgruntled. Weber is probably a professional though and will play like he always does. Next off season will be huge, to see if he walks into Poile's office and demands a trade. If that happens, and the Preds don't hold a grudge against us, I think it is open season for him. Every team will be competing with us though in trade talks. 2014 would be an ideal moment for the Flyers to acquire him at the draft, being it will be held in Philly.

All I am saying is I really don't think Weber will be in a Flyers Jersey, but I will not completely shut the door on that or any other possibilities.

One thing this year or two wait does do though, is allows our prospects to develop and maybe be more valuable in a trade for a stud dman. Cousins, Laughton, and other players drafted this year and last will be nearing their opportunity to show off what they have in the AHL or even NHL.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
  #857
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,783
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If owners get more revenue sharing like they are proposing in their offers of the CBA, it would lessen the blow the team will take in trading Weber. He is owed 13 million in signing bonus per year till 2015-2016 and 8 million per season after that until 2017-2018. If the player does not want to remain with the organization, you most likely will have to trade him. There were many reports that Weber signed that offer sheet fully hoping that Nashville could not match it. They did and it took them 2 months to sort out this mess, he still may be disgruntled. Weber is probably a professional though and will play like he always does. Next off season will be huge, to see if he walks into Poile's office and demands a trade. If that happens, and the Preds don't hold a grudge against us, I think it is open season for him. Every team will be competing with us though in trade talks. 2014 would be an ideal moment for the Flyers to acquire him at the draft, being it will be held in Philly.

All I am saying is I really don't think Weber will be in a Flyers Jersey, but I will not completely shut the door on that or any other possibilities.

One thing this year or two wait does do though, is allows our prospects to develop and maybe be more valuable in a trade for a stud dman. Cousins, Laughton, and other players drafted this year and last will be nearing their opportunity to show off what they have in the AHL or even NHL.
I thought the hangup on him not signing the matched offer sheet was Weber wanting a limited NTC.
I dont think Cousins is going to play in the AHL this season if there is a lockout. Well until his legal issue is taken care of IMO.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
  #858
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Since we might not be seeing NHL action... why don't we just tune in and watch some KHL action yo!

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/58/v-445984.html
Alexandre Picard sighting.

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  #859
RussianRocket10
Registered User
 
RussianRocket10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Since we might not be seeing NHL action... why don't we just tune in and watch some KHL action yo!

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/58/v-445984.html
Normally the only reason I watch the KHL is to see Kuznetsov, but since it's looking like there won't be NHL hockey on time I guess I'll turn to the KHL to get my hockey fix.

RussianRocket10 is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
  #860
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Shane Doan will be staying with the Phoenix Coyotes pending the finalization of new ownership. The most boring saga has come to an end.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
  #861
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Shane Doan will be staying with the Phoenix Coyotes pending the finalization of new ownership. The most boring saga has come to an end.
Thus closes another channel in the Annals of Obviousness.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
  #862
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thus closes another channel in the Annals of Obviousness.


Also on the main trade board, a fan just compared RNH to Gretzky... I don't even know how to respond to that.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 10:09 PM
  #863
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,124
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post


Also on the main trade board, a fan just compared RNH to Gretzky... I don't even know how to respond to that.
I look forward to RNH's 137 point sophomore season. That will be an impressive improvement on his 50-something points this year.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
  #864
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I thought the hangup on him not signing the matched offer sheet was Weber wanting a limited NTC.
That was the rumour but I don't think it was confirmed by him or the team.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
  #865
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I look forward to RNH's 137 point sophomore season. That will be an impressive improvement on his 50-something points this year.
Arguing with them is fun actually. I listed several reasons why I think Couts and RNH will be comparable players in the future in terms of production, but their greatest argument is RNH>>>>>>>>Couts. Or the always reasonable RNH is better, and it's not even close, but give no reasons why. Also I was talking 2-3 years down the road,not necessarily right now. The Gretzky comparison still is being thrown around though.....

It's like talking to a wall out there. How do you say you think RNH isn't going to be anywhere near the caliber of player Gretzky was, but keep comparing them! Am I the crazy one?


Last edited by Prongo: 09-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Prongo is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:27 PM
  #866
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Arguing with them is fun actually. I listed several reasons why I think Couts and RNH will be comparable players in the future in terms of production, but their greatest argument is RNH>>>>>>>>Couts. Or the always reasonable RNH is better, and it's not even close, but give no reasons why. Also I was talking 2-3 years down the road,not necessarily right now. The Gretzky comparison still is being thrown around though.....

It's like talking to a wall out there. How do you say you think RNH isn't going to be anywhere near the caliber of player Gretzky was, but keep comparing them! Am I the crazy one?
Well that's not as bad as Pens fans STILL thinking Couturier can't handle Malkin. delusional fools.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
  #867
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Well that's not as bad as Pens fans STILL thinking Couturier can't handle Malkin. delusional fools.
lol, also funny how Oilers fans have the balls to talk about playoffs. Tell us we won't succeed, but just forget the last time they were relevant was with Pronger and during the lotto pick.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:17 AM
  #868
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I look forward to RNH's 137 point sophomore season. That will be an impressive improvement on his 50-something points this year.
He had 52.
In 62 games.

That's highly impressive rookie season imo.

But with Giroux in the fold, I actually like our set-up with Schenn and Couturier in the following positions a lot. It's a good mix of a little bit of everything.

dookie88 is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:20 AM
  #869
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,705
vCash: 50
I remember during the whole RNH losing the Calder to Landeskog oilers fans were saying that RNH has the best hockey sense and vision since Gretzky

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
  #870
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,705
vCash: 50
Also, there was a swedish oilers fan who told me Omark would score 300+ if he played when Gretzky did

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 03:55 AM
  #871
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,705
vCash: 50
I was watching some old documentary about the flyers from the 70s to the mid 90s..

It's hilarious how bad the goaltending is

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
  #872
BernieParent
HFB Partner
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I was watching some old documentary about the flyers from the 70s to the mid 90s..

It's hilarious how bad the goaltending is
True enough. So many of those goals are easy saves for a butterfly goalie with an ounce of flexibility. Watch pretty much any Guy Lafleur patented slapshot on the rush down the wing just inside the blue line. Even Leighton makes that save 8 out of 10 times. Then again, their equipment was half the size and three times the weight.

My namesake was still pretty good, though. I love watching the old games and seeing the skate blade save. Now that takes skill on a hard drive to the far post!

BernieParent is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
  #873
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Well that's not as bad as Pens fans STILL thinking Couturier can't handle Malkin. delusional fools.
Even Malkin himself admitted that Couturier made it really hard for him

thelos is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
  #874
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post


Also on the main trade board, a fan just compared RNH to Gretzky... I don't even know how to respond to that.
Someone in the media compared his vision to Gretzky a year ago and Oilers fans keep running with it.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
  #875
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Someone in the media compared his vision to Gretzky a year ago and Oilers fans keep running with it.
Sounds like Milbury

Seriously though, I googled for a while and only thing I found were a few people quoted saying RNH has the best vision "since" Gretzky.


Last edited by kudymen: 09-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
kudymen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.