HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brad McCrimmon

Old
04-06-2012, 08:32 PM
WingsFan95

vCash: 500
Brad McCrimmon

Is there something I'm missing?

The man played on 5 different teams but retired with an overall +444.

As a stay-home d-man he doesn't seem to have gotten much accolades outside of a 2nd Team placement one year.

However, can anyone chime in on how good of a defenseman he was?

Find that +444 over 5 teams is difficult to be a coincidence.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I remember him being smart defensively and tough as nails. Not a brawly but tough, could lay on punishing hits. He was paired with some top offensive defensemen. Mark Howe in Philly and MacInnis in Calgary probably explains some of his high plus/minus. Not sure if he was paired with Lidstrom in Detriot or not. Same as earlier if he paired with Bourque in Boston or not?

Never noticed it before but MacCrimmon had a really odd career that way...he played with some great defensemen. Thanks for pointing that out

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
vadim sharifijanov

just a great smart defensive defenseman. exactly the guy you want to pair with your risk-taking offensive d-man, and he got great years out of two of them (mark howe and gary suter).

i don't remember him ever being regularly being paired with macinnis. from the time mccrimmon went to calgary to the time he left, jamie macoun was macinnis' regular partner. macoun was a great defensive defenseman too-- absolute warrior.

mccrimmon was lidstrom's d partner in detroit, and later was pronger's first partner in hartford. both thanked him as formative influences in their first norris speeches. i think he would have been a phenomenal head coach.

as for the crazy +/-, if you paired him with a top end offensive d-man, mccrimmon would hold the fort down and let the other guy make risky plays to rack up the points. look how mark howe's +/- goes from three straight years of more than +50 (including the legendary +85 year), down to +23 the year mccrimmon is traded to calgary. meanwhile, mccrimmon puts up +48 and +43 in his first two calgary years. a couple of normal +/- years, then he explodes again for +39 lidstrom's rookie year. mccrimmon paired with good offensive d-men just worked incredibly well. just imagine if the oilers had him during the coffey years...

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

This is McCrimmon in a nutshell. He was extremely smart, had great hands and would be physical when required....Weakness: mediocre skater who needed those great partners to be effective. Btw he rarely if ever played with Bouque in Boston. His partner in Boston was Bourque for a short time but it was mostly Larry Melnyk.......Not a good skating pair to say the least.

Last edited by Actp: 04-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Dennis Bonvie

From what I have read about him he was an extreme conservative politically from an early age. Guess it carrier over into his game. Discipline was big for him. He was an on-ice leader from the back end. You got the sense that he took so much pride in his game that whoever was on the ice with him didn't want to make any mistakes. Much like Langway in that sense. A real rock for a teammate.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Looking over McCrimmon's stats one can't help but think those Flames should have won much more than they did. They had everything you need to win. Vernon in net, an All-Star, look at that defense...Suter, MacInnis, McCrimmon, Macoun? That is one of best defenses in recent years. Talk about strenght down the middle...Nieuwendyk, Gilmour...both hall of famers. They had the firepower.. Mullen, Loob, MacDonald. Toughness and leadership...Roberts, Peplinski. That should have been a dynasty team!

Old
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Looking over McCrimmon's stats one can't help but think those Flames should have won much more than they did. They had everything you need to win. Vernon in net, an All-Star, look at that defense...Suter, MacInnis, McCrimmon, Macoun? That is one of best defenses in recent years. Talk about strenght down the middle...Nieuwendyk, Gilmour...both hall of famers. They had the firepower.. Mullen, Loob, MacDonald. Toughness and leadership...Roberts, Peplinski. That should have been a dynasty team!
First Vernon was notoriously inconsistent. Second, it was a great roster on paper and sometimes on the ice, but they didnt really have an identity. They were mainly a collection of very talented players......

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
The team you described was only together for 1 season, 88-89, when they did win the Cup so I'm not sure what else you would want from them.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:29 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
nothing about that flames team after 1989 made sense.

through the 80s, it was a process of getting rid of heartless skill guys (nilsson, quinn, bradley, young hull), while also swapping their non-heartless skill guys for grittier and battle tested, but still highly skilled players (reinhart, bullard out; gilmour, mccrimmon, tonelli, ramage in). that, plus a crop of young players coming into their own (suter, nieuwendyk, roberts, fleury), helped them win the cup. this was basically what the sharks have been trying to do for the last decade, and what the canucks are trying to do right now.

but then after '89, the only real losses were pepper, mcdonald, and ramage. loob was replaced by a guy who was theoretically even better (makarov), and patterson hung on for another year. pepper and mcdonald were the captains and were certainly important players, but i always thought that team at its best followed otto's lead anyway. the core was still there, the young guys all either stayed at a high level (suter, nieuwendyk) or got much better (fleury, roberts), with a very good robert reichel being added in '91 when mullen left. and the leadership group looks legendary on paper: otto, gilmour, mccrimmon, macinnis, macoun. five of the era's best non-dynasty playoff performers.

i don't know what happened, but i don't think you can put it all on vernon.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post

through the 80s, it was a process of getting rid of heartless skill guys (nilsson, quinn, bradley, young hull), while also swapping their non-heartless skill guys for grittier and battle tested, but still highly skilled players (reinhart, bullard out; gilmour, mccrimmon, tonelli, ramage in). that, plus a crop of young players coming into their own (suter, nieuwendyk, roberts, fleury), helped them win the cup. this was basically what the sharks have been trying to do for the last decade, and what the canucks are trying to do right now.

but then after '89, the only real losses were pepper, mcdonald, and ramage. loob was replaced by a guy who was theoretically even better (makarov), and patterson hung on for another year. pepper and mcdonald were the captains and were certainly important players, but i always thought that team at its best followed otto's lead anyway. the core was still there, the young guys all either stayed at a high level (suter, nieuwendyk) or got much better (fleury, roberts), with a very good robert reichel being added in '91 when mullen left. and the leadership group looks legendary on paper: otto, gilmour, mccrimmon, macinnis, macoun. five of the era's best non-dynasty playoff performers.

Patrick Roy stole one Cup away from them and the Oilers dynasty hard for any team no matter how good to get out of the west.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

Don't forget Joel Ottos skates bid for the Conn Smythe...

Flames fans should eternally be worshipping that skate.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Patrick Roy stole one Cup away from them and the Oilers dynasty hard for any team no matter how good to get out of the west.
that was all in the 80s. my post was talking about what the hell happened to the flames post '89.

(the flames won exactly zero playoff round between the cup and their finals run in '04. lost to LA in '90, the gretzky-less oilers in '91, missed the playoffs in '92, lost to gretzky's kings again in '92, the canucks in '94, and san jose in '95. after '95, the only member of the cup winning team was the guy that was a rookie that year, theo fleury.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Don't forget Joel Ottos skates bid for the Conn Smythe...

Flames fans should eternally be worshipping that skate.
joel otto's skate > pavel bure

Old
04-10-2012, 01:11 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
that was all in the 80s. my post was talking about what the hell happened to the flames post '89.

(the flames won exactly zero playoff round between the cup and their finals run in '04. lost to LA in '90, the gretzky-less oilers in '91, missed the playoffs in '92, lost to gretzky's kings again in '92, the canucks in '94, and san jose in '95. after '95, the only member of the cup winning team was the guy that was a rookie that year, theo fleury.)
Without question, the Gilmour trade zapped the life out of that team. I always felt the loss the Flames experienced was more than just the loss of Gilmour on the ice. It was almost symbolic, with Calgary getting a washed up Leeman as the centerpiece of the return, that the Flames era as contenders was coming to an end.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Most of it, you can. He was almost always among the worst in playoff save %, including being dead last. There were series during that era of failures when the Flames' offense was flat out dominant, and yet they still lost, courtesy of Vernon.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:52 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post
Is there something I'm missing?

The man played on 5 different teams but retired with an overall +444.

As a stay-home d-man he doesn't seem to have gotten much accolades outside of a 2nd Team placement one year.

However, can anyone chime in on how good of a defenseman he was?

Find that +444 over 5 teams is difficult to be a coincidence.
One of the best stay at home D-men of all time--tough guy to play agains

Was not fancy but was very good

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
vadim sharifijanov

nice article about mccrimmon, narrated mostly by his dad-- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404664

Old
09-07-2012, 03:17 AM
begbeee

Can he be compared to Regher?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
seventieslord

I would compare him more to Ryan Suter. It's a comparison someone else made but I agree with it.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote