HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick, where are those little heart paddles? The ones George Clooney uses!

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 07:44 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Time for some good old fashioned OT advice.

Here is a debate me and the Mrs are currently having:

As I've stated here I'm looking for a new job. (She is too actually) Now while neither of us is happy at present time we've worked for them for a long time and they've been there for us in the past.

So the debate is should we let them know we are actively pursuing other jobs because we are unhappy so they aren't blindsided when we turn in notice or just sit on it until we find other jobs?

(I have a feeling I know what most/all of you will say but hearing it will help )
If your employer won't fire you after hearing the news, then I'd be as open and honest as possible.

Quite honestly, if they are smart, they will take the news as a sign that maybe they could improve work conditions so that you won't leave if you are viewed as a highly valuable team member.

Heck, you could even get an offer of a raise if they are really worried about you leaving.

But, I would only be honest if you feel like that is how they would handle it. If you think they would fly off the handle and let you go, I would keep it on the DL.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:14 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:

As I've stated here I'm looking for a new job. (She is too actually) Now while neither of us is happy at present time we've worked for them for a long time and they've been there for us in the past.

So the debate is should we let them know we are actively pursuing other jobs because we are unhappy so they aren't blindsided when we turn in notice or just sit on it until we find other jobs?

(I have a feeling I know what most/all of you will say but hearing it will help )
I don't know anything about your situation aside from this post, but the only reason to do that in my opinion is if you're looking for a counteroffer from them, and in my experience those kind of situations rarely turn out well, because while they might extend one, in the back of their mind they might well be planning on when they can replace you with someone else who is better for their bottom line and will probably stick around longer.

Instead, I'd give them extra notice time if appropriate if you do find another position. That way you don't burn any bridges and you avoid any unpleasantries that are unnecessary. The other thing I'd avoid doing is giving negative feedback if they offer a parting survey. A few constructive criticisms are often okay if the management is reasonable, but those things can quickly sour a professional relationship, and thus, a reference.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

I don't think informing them will do you any good. The only thing they could offer is more money, but probably not that much anyway.

I think both you and them would know, as soon as you tell them, that it's only a matter of time. If you're leaving anyway, what incentive do they have to keep you happy?

Old
09-07-2012, 08:41 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I wouldn't say a word until I have an offer on the table elsewhere. It's just business, not personal. You have to do what's right for you, not worry about the situation that might occur if you were to leave.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I wouldn't say a word until I have an offer on the table elsewhere. It's just business, not personal. You have to do what's right for you, not worry about the situation that might occur if you were to leave.
Agreed. If your company knows you plan on leaving they might look to fill your position ASAP, and you could find yourself out on the street sooner than you'd like.

A 2 week notice after you find a new job is being plenty nice enough to them.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

As others have said, your well being > the company's well being. Don't do anything that could possibly jeopardize your future, especially if you're just trying to be polite. It's business.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Thanks everyone. Pretty much my thought process too. I've been sitting here hoping they'd look in the mirror and realize they need to change things after some of the good managers having been leaving as of late but it hasn't happened.

They're going to have to realize soon though or they'll be further up ****'s creek with no paddle real soon cause they are going to have a lot of veteran managers jump ship real soon with no one in the pipeline to replace us.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I don't think informing them will do you any good. The only thing they could offer is more money, but probably not that much anyway.

I think both you and them would know, as soon as you tell them, that it's only a matter of time. If you're leaving anyway, what incentive do they have to keep you happy?
I do always wonder, MM, if you would have been good, and content, doing programming. I remember a good... 14? years ago, starting to teach you how to make little apps in Visual Basic. You actually caught on quickly and seemed to have a good mind for it.

Maybe instead of, y'know, being social, you should have wasted away your teen years staying inside on the computer with me

Old
09-07-2012, 09:12 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:

You let them know when you have an offer in hand.

There is NOTHING to gain by telling them early other than them looking to replace you before you get a chance to leave.

A few years ago, I had a job as a field tech. Basically, when we had a client in the city who needed something done on site, I'd go and do it.

Problem was, contracts got cancelled. My area expanded from within 35 miles of the city when I was hired to well into the northern reaches of Minnesota. After two years of not a single pay increase (Not cost of living, nothing), I mentioned something to my boss about it saying 'Well if something doesn't happen soon you really aren't giving me alot of choice in terms of my job' or something of that ilk.

One Month later I was laid off. Right smack dab in the middle of one of the worst job markets for IT in my professional lifetime.

Lesson learned: Never let your company know that you are considering a new job. Sure, you can voice concerns...but until you have an offer in hand, you let no one within the company know you are looking

Old
09-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I agree. Don't say anything while you look. You don't like the job. Find something you enjoy and go do that.

09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I do always wonder, MM, if you would have been good, and content, doing programming. I remember a good... 14? years ago, starting to teach you how to make little apps in Visual Basic. You actually caught on quickly and seemed to have a good mind for it.

Maybe instead of, y'know, being social, you should have wasted away your teen years staying inside on the computer with me
I had considered the computer route but it just wasn't my cup of tea once I got into the bigger things. I'm a nerd and all... just not that big of a nerd.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

One our systems admins is trying to tell our lead programmer that 962KB/s write performance on a database server is 'good performance'. I get 20MB/s on my freaking workstation.

Now I'm getting dragged in the middle of it, and I have enough crap to do. Happy Friday.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Don't say anything unless you need to have references checked. I mentioned to my boss at a job years ago that I was looking and he hassled me about it for almost a year, which was when I finally left. Not worth it at all.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Ultimately our goal/dream is to open a restaurant/bakery together where I'd cook and she'd do baking for the restaurant as well as just sell baked goods and do wedding cakes etc.

But there are many road blocks to that. Start up capital, location, the fact that 50-70% of all new restaurants fail with in 5 years and Buffalo being so saturated with good restaurants are just a few.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:

It honestly depends on your relationship with the company and the people in it. I think most would say wait until you've secured unemployment elsewhere and give the standard two weeks, which is probably good advice in a majority of situations. That you're unhappy there is almost certainly going to be taken as a personal slight by at least one person.

However...

At my previous job I did not do this. I gave six months notice, essentially as soon as I knew I was moving. I was close with my manager and a lot of coworkers and I knew the company was short-staffed and inundated with work. Had I waited until two weeks, thus not giving them time to interview and hire any replacements (in addition to filling the staff to capacity), it likely would have set them back at least eight months. (They would have been working with 6 full engineering teams out of 8 with a workload for 12, or been forced to promote someone completely unqualified.)

Old
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Ultimately our goal/dream is to open a restaurant/bakery together where I'd cook and she'd do baking for the restaurant as well as just sell baked goods and do wedding cakes etc.

But there are many road blocks to that. Start up capital, location, the fact that 50-70% of all new restaurants fail with in 5 years and Buffalo being so saturated with good restaurants are just a few.
Come here, we need some good restaurants. You can basically get a location on Main St. in Herkimer for free.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Two straight days of waking up at 7 local time after regularly waking up between 9 and 10 on the east coast. Body has decided to boycott adjusting apparently.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:24 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

^^^
7 AM is oversleeping for me, any day of the year.

I may have made it to 9 or 10 AM a handful of times max in the past dozen years, split 50/50 between severe illness and too much alcohol.

@MM/WW/MoP
If you do tell your current employer, do so only while holding a 5-gallon gas can and some soaked rags.

@JB/LetGoMyEggo
One day at a time, and it's all good!!!!

Old
09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Two straight days of waking up at 7 local time after regularly waking up between 9 and 10 on the east coast. Body has decided to boycott adjusting apparently.
I took 3 weeks off before working for that reason.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Crazy Tasty

I love labor day weekend.

I hate that it falls at the end of our first fiscal quarter and the following 4 day work week is basically hell.

I see a Crown on the rocks in my immediate future.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Anyone watching tennis right now? Loudest match ever.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Anyone watching tennis right now? Loudest match ever.
Monica Seles loud?

Old
09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Monica Seles loud?
Not sure, but it's Sharapova vs. Azarenka.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
This.

Your 2 week notice is plenty IMO

edit - I guess it has all been covered

Old
09-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
This.

Your 2 week notice is plenty IMO

edit - I guess it has all been covered
They request 4 weeks notice from General Managers but yeah as I said earlier I was saying/thinking this myself.

Whether I give 4 or 2 weeks will depend on when whatever I find whenever I find it wants me to start.

Closed Thread