HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part III: Back to School Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Someone has to implement the wormhole.

Commuting should be a thing of the past.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

I either get up at at 7:30 or 10:00. Lol

Old
09-07-2012, 08:03 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Someone has to implement the wormhole.

Commuting should be a thing of the past.
Now you're thinking with Portals.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

What makes people listen to terrible music :.\

Old
09-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
What makes people listen to terrible music :.\
What is terrible?

Old
09-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
What is terrible?
when I was parking at UB, this guy pulled up in a car with a blue paintjob and green rims...blasting what sounds like static and what computers do when they freeze up and quit working. They call it dubstep. :|. I'm wearing an Exodus shirt and he goes "Exodus is a **** band, skrillex is the best" :

Old
09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
blue425

Probably never even heard of Exodus before.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
koz2393

Quote:
when I was parking at UB, this guy pulled up in a car with a blue paintjob and green rims...blasting what sounds like static and what computers do when they freeze up and quit working. They call it dubstep. :|. I'm wearing an Exodus shirt and he goes "Exodus is a **** band, skrillex is the best" :
whenever someone mentions skrillex i always make a point to be like o you mean sonny moore?

Old
09-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Dubstep is a joke. I dont understand how it can be classified as music.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZwk...e_gdata_player

Old
09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Ail
k.

I know most of you guys are all rock and metal heads here, but the hate on electronic music and Dubstep is ridiculous. You have no idea the technical expertise, ear training and natural musical talent it takes to make even somewhat respectable electronic music. As someone who spent years as a hobbyist producing music, it's not just pushing buttons and turning knobs to make "noise" and there is actually a considerable amount of math involed.

Also, I'm not sure what you are proving by calling Skrillex by his real name when someone talks about him. Every artist on this Earth not named after themselves goes by their stage name when addressing their music. Lots of artists start out making one genre of music and then end up switching.

Some of the comments being made here are out of pure ignorance. No, not all dubstep is good, but neither is the entirity of any genre.

09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Skrillex =

Ah the good old days...'MOM GET OFF THE PHONE!'

Old
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Ail
k.

Oh and as someone who is formerly a huge fan of metal, nu-metal and rock, saying Skrillex sounds like a dying computer or a dial-up modem is laughable. Pot meet kettle.

I love Children of Bodom but damned if I know what he is saying half the time.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Skrillex =

Ah the good old days...'MOM GET OFF THE PHONE!'
I long for the days the internet was a bunch of bulletin boards and AIM was considered social networking.

I'm dead serious. I am starting to hate this "share everything instananeously" society we live in.

On a positive note, since were discussing electronic music, I happen to love Massive Attack.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Oh and as someone who is formerly a huge fan of metal, nu-metal and rock, saying Skrillex sounds like a dying computer or a dial-up modem is laughable. Pot meet kettle.

I love Children of Bodom but damned if I know what he is saying half the time.
See, I for one don't listen to Children of Bodom, or anything like that. And I have no problem with electro. But dubstep is terrible. House, decent house, and decent techno is good. But I'm pretty sure that bands like Megadeth and Exodus...Testament... have a melody and words... a little more harmonious than... a distorted bass and then beeps. You must listen to core metal or screamo or something. Not trying to start a war, but yea.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiurophile View Post
I know most of you guys are all rock and metal heads here, but the hate on electronic music and Dubstep is ridiculous. You have no idea the technical expertise, ear training and natural musical talent it takes to make even somewhat respectable electronic music. As someone who spent years as a hobbyist producing music, it's not just pushing buttons and turning knobs to make "noise" and there is actually a considerable amount of math involed.

Also, I'm not sure what you are proving by calling Skrillex by his real name when someone talks about him. Every artist on this Earth not named after themselves goes by their stage name when addressing their music. Lots of artists start out making one genre of music and then end up switching.

Some of the comments being made here are out of pure ignorance. No, not all dubstep is good, but neither is the entirity of any genre.
To me it sounds like noise, regardless of how difficult it is to make that type of music.

Also, I hate nu metal, screamo, Nickelback, etc.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
See, I for one don't listen to Children of Bodom, or anything like that. And I have no problem with electro. But dubstep is terrible. House, decent house, and decent techno is good. But I'm pretty sure that bands like Megadeth and Exodus...Testament... have a melody and words... a little more harmonious than... a distorted bass and then beeps. You must listen to core metal or screamo or something. Not trying to start a war, but yea.
No, I don't really at all. To name a few Deftones, Type O Negative (brilliant), Tool, so on and so forth. You honestly don't think there are people out there that hear bands like those and go, "OMG this sounds like a car wreck!!1!!"

There definitely are.

The bolded part of your post is exactly what I am talking about. That kind of mentality is so ignorant. Your post is even self defeating, on one hand you essentially say not all metal is some guy screaming in to a microphone, but dubstep is nothing but distorted bass and beeps. You're defending metal from the standpoint of a fan who understands the difference between talented musicians and screamy garbage, yet attack dubstep from the perspective of someone who is clueless.

Should we hate Johnny Cash because 99% of pop country is about trucks, love and being from the country? Should we hate Metallica because Nickelback doesn't have an original bone in their collective bodies? If the answer is no, then why do you want to hate Skrillex because dubstep is a bunch of people trying to do what he did and failing, or cheapening it?

If you want to hate him for escalating dubstep in to a super trendy genre, fine. If you want to hate him for redefining dubstep in to something that's very little like the original, fine. Hate for just about any reason you want, but if you actually listen to the stuff this guy makes, specifically on the 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' EP, he is beyond talented. I cannot even begin to explain the amount of technical understanding it would take compose an arrangement like that. You don't have to like it but to say it is just distortion and beeps is beyond ridiculous.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
To me it sounds like noise, regardless of how difficult it is to make that type of music.

Also, I hate nu metal, screamo, Nickelback, etc.
Which is my point. There are people who think bands you like are just noise too. You don't have to like it, but respect the fact it may actually take talent to make it. That's the difference between someone who loves and understands all music, and someone who is close-minded and pretentious about their own tastes.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
blue425

Nickelback is not metal. I think their genre is suck.

I hate them too.

Someday someone will say something like:

"They're the best metal band evarrr!"

And I will begin construction on the worlds biggest face palm.

And wait for it................

I have a stupid soft spot for Poison.

*builds protective fort*

Old
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
No, I don't really at all. To name a few Deftones, Type O Negative (brilliant), Tool, so on and so forth. You honestly don't think there are people out there that hear bands like those and go, "OMG this sounds like a car wreck!!1!!"

There definitely are.

The bolded part of your post is exactly what I am talking about. That kind of mentality is so ignorant. Your post is even self defeating, on one hand you essentially say not all metal is some guy screaming in to a microphone, but dubstep is nothing but distorted bass and beeps. You're defending metal from the standpoint of a fan who understands the difference between talented musicians and screamy garbage, yet attack dubstep from the perspective of someone who is clueless.

Should we hate Johnny Cash because 99% of pop country is about trucks, love and being from the country? Should we hate Metallica because Nickelback doesn't have an original bone in their collective bodies? If the answer is no, then why do you want to hate Skrillex because dubstep is a bunch of people trying to do what he did and failing, or cheapening it?

If you want to hate him for escalating dubstep in to a super trendy genre, fine. If you want to hate him for redefining dubstep in to something that's very little like the original, fine. Hate for just about any reason you want, but if you actually listen to the stuff this guy makes, specifically on the 'Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites' EP, he is beyond talented. I cannot even begin to explain the amount of technical understanding it would take compose an arrangement like that. You don't have to like it but to say it is just distortion and beeps is beyond ridiculous.
My post with the AOL dial-up was more of a playful joke. I understand it takes talent to make any kind of music, and I can respect and enjoy most types of music. I understand when people think that all the music I like sounds the same, or they discredit it altogether, because that's what they think about it. Doesn't bother me, but I absolutely understand where they're coming from. They either don't have the ear for it (like myself and dubstep) or they don't want to respect it. Either way, different strokes for different folks.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
blue425

Ailurophile said:
You don't have to like it but to say it is just distortion and beeps is beyond ridiculous.

Chiptunes has lots of beeps and blips.

And I love Chiptunes.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Ailurophile said:
You don't have to like it but to say it is just distortion and beeps is beyond ridiculous.

Chiptunes has lots of beeps and blips.

And I love Chiptunes.
Hahaha

That is completely different man! Chiptunes are modeled after 8-bit video game music. So true though. I love it.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
eating lunch across from tiny's, a black matte lambo pulls up and out comes this guy...

Old
09-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
eating lunch across from tiny's, a black matte lambo pulls up and out comes this guy...

It's Tom Cruise!

Old
09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
blue425

Quote:
Hahaha

That is completely different man! Chiptunes are modeled after 8-bit video game music. So true though. I love it.
And to think my friends made fun of me growing up:

"Why do you want to listen to the music?"

It's too bad outside of Anamanaguchi and The Advantage Chiptunes are hard to come by.

And don't get me started on Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, and the C64 sound chip.

Closed Thread