HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Nhl 13

Old
09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Maynard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Doing my boycott of the NHL and that includes NHL 13.
That'll show 'em.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Unfortunately I'm silenced on talking about the actual game for a few more days sorry
Are you a professional reviewer or something?

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Are you a professional reviewer or something?
Nope. I do some stuff for EA.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Nope. I do some stuff for EA.
Hopefully it doesn't involve ratings.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
MRichards10

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm silenced on talking about the actual game for a few more days sorry
No problem. I'll have it tomorrow 3pm, thanks to the season pass.

MRichards10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Hopefully it doesn't involve ratings.
What don't you like about my ratings?

Old
09-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
It is bad enough that they have Kopitar rated lower than Mike Richards (which is baffling), but what is even more sickening is how they have Kesler higher than Kopitar, and they also have Hamhuis rated higher than Doughty. That is disgusting and I know those homers are biased towards their own Canucks.

To add to the ridiculousness, somehow Dustin Brown is rated lower than Carter and Gagne. How Dale Weise is rated higher than Dwight King or Jordan Nolan baffles me as well.

I used to do player ratings for the competition, so I'm a bit critical of this stuff, haha.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:23 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
It is bad enough that they have Kopitar rated lower than Mike Richards (which is baffling), but what is even more sickening is how they have Kesler higher than Kopitar, and they also have Hamhuis rated higher than Doughty. That is disgusting and I know those homers are biased towards their own Canucks.

To add to the ridiculousness, somehow Dustin Brown is rated lower than Carter and Gagne. How Dale Weise is rated higher than Dwight King or Jordan Nolan baffles me as well.

I used to do player ratings for the competition, so I'm a bit critical of this stuff, haha.
You're putting too much stock into "overall" Richards is rated higher than Kopi because he's a better hitter and fighter and those translate into a higher overall because they're weighted more.

Also Nolan and King had one good 1/3 of a season/playoffs, their ratings are fine for right now.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:12 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That'll show 'em.
Its funny how people continuously boast about a boycott of the NHL, yet these same people rush straight to a store to buy a copy of NHL 13

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Simon Gagne and Anze Kopitar have the same ratings and you still ask what is wrong with the ratings?
#FAIL

...I am not even going into the retarded Canucks/Leafs ratings...

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Simon Gagne and Anze Kopitar have the same ratings and you still ask what is wrong with the ratings?
#FAIL

...I am not even going into the retarded Canucks/Leafs ratings...
This. The ratings pretty much all over the league are terrible this year. Going to be lots of editing on my part when I get the game.

Here's EA explanation for the change...
Quote:
How are the NHL 13 player ratings different from NHL 12?

EA: Last year, overall ratings reflected a player's effectiveness based on their player type (ex. Sniper, Enforcer, Grinder, etc.). NHL 13 Overall ratings are based on a player's overall skill based on their position.

Why the change?

EA: It was a fan-requested change that ensured that overall ratings were more representative of a players skill level in real life. A players who is 90+ will feel drastically different than one who is rated 65.

Examples: NHL 12 Parros was an 81 as his rating was based on his player type — enforcer, meaning that he was an above average enforcer. In NHL 13 Parros is an 69 overall based on his skill level as a forward. Chris Neil was an 82 (Grinder) last year, this year he's a 78. With this new overall ratings system, his rating didn't drop as significantly as Parros because he's still a skilled player who can check and score effectively.
Should've left it the way it was. Those made a lot of sense. Parros is still an NHL player and should be rated as such. Now there are a ton of guys from the SEL, Swiss, DEL that will be rated higher than him. Heck probably a good chunk of the CHL players in the game will be rated higher than him.

Parise rated higher than Kopitar? Uhh huh, right...
Mikku Koivu the same overall as Kopitar? They realize both are two-way centers and that Kopitar is head and shoulders a better player.

Quote:
Also Nolan and King had one good 1/3 of a season/playoffs, their ratings are fine for right now.
Weise had 8 points in 68 games this year...
Compare that with King and his 14 points in 27 games and then think about this:

Quote:
You're putting too much stock into "overall" Richards is rated higher than Kopi because he's a better hitter and fighter and those translate into a higher overall because they're weighted more.
By your own logic King should be rated higher because he can fight, hit, and score unlike Weise who is more of a fighter.

The last issue I tentatively have with the ratings is what effect they may have on GM/Franchise mode. Are there going to be guys like Parros, Westgarth, Bitz, etc. are getting dumped as computer teams sign younger players out of juniors that are rated higher. If it's true about the roles no longer being factored in that could be an issue as computer teams will avoid signing enforcers. Like I said this is a tentative complaint based on past experiences with video game hockey and could be pointless.

Last edited by tigermask48: 09-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:17 AM
SCARFACE909

You guys are really hooked up on the "overall" which is not important at all, Gagne is rated higher than brown because he has better athletic ratings in speed, agility etc overall Gagne has higher star ratings in certain categories while Brown is balanced in all of them, Carter is a center so his face off rating will bump his overall up, brown is a beast in this game but you guys are hooked on overall which is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Also the new rating system is so much better, there needed to be a difference between players, last year it was Non-existent, this year it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm a kings fan and I'm play with the ratings and understand why some guys are rated then others but some people just look at "overall" and not each individual attribute which contribute differently to overall rating, Kopi could be a 92 because he has 99 fighting skill whole everything else is still same, pretty PointlEss if you ask me..

Old
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
You guys are really hooked up on the "overall" which is not important at all, Gagne is rated higher than brown because he has better athletic ratings in speed, agility etc overall Gagne has higher star ratings in certain categories while Brown is balanced in all of them, Carter is a center so his face off rating will bump his overall up, brown is a beast in this game but you guys are hooked on overall which is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Also the new rating system is so much better, there needed to be a difference between players, last year it was Non-existent, this year it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm a kings fan and I'm play with the ratings and understand why some guys are rated then others but some people just look at "overall" and not each individual attribute which contribute differently to overall rating, Kopi could be a 92 because he has 99 fighting skill whole everything else is still same, pretty PointlEss if you ask me..
No matter the PR spiel you or EA try to sell to the fans, those overalls speak as a measurement of how the player measures up with his peers. When you have the AI assigning lines, they're sorted by their overall ratings, not by their individual skill sets.

They need a better system in how player ratings are weighed judging by the results I'm seeing.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
No matter the PR spiel you or EA try to sell to the fans, those overalls speak as a measurement of how the player measures up with his peers. When you have the AI assigning lines, they're sorted by their overall ratings, not by their individual skill sets.

They need a better system in how player ratings are weighed judging by the results I'm seeing.
This is exactly the issue I'm seeing happening. They seemed to be on the right track the last few years with the player roles and types, but then they scrapped it for some reason its sounds like instead of tweaking things they implement a new system... Trouble is the new system seems very very similar to the old ones that were in place years ago. Right now this year seems like a big step back from what they started in NHL 11. It seems like it's going to drag up alot of issues from past games and make some modes a mess to play.

Scarface relax, EA already has my money. Like I said earlier in this thread I played the version of the game on the floor at E3, and have played the demo. I really see no difference in the way the game plays from a casual gamer perspective. It seemed a little tighter gameplay wise and the AI slightly better when entering the Offensive zone but that's about it. The only really noticable differences that I saw are visually with the player models and the goalies making saves. It's better because it's better doesn't really address any of the issues that I brought up that I thought were pretty valid issues.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
JT8888

Anyone doing online franchise? Be cool to join a 30 team league

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Did EA fix the Kings' center ice logo? Because last year, they had the home plate logo instead of the new version of the crown.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Did EA fix the Kings' center ice logo? Because last year, they had the home plate logo instead of the new version of the crown.
yes they did. all of the arenas actually look really good on ice. staples pregame needs more lasers though.

thought the banner raising in gm mode was a nice little touch

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Not looking good so far. Some of the digital content can't be downloaded because they screwed up their promotional codes, and now I find out that HUT mode is hosed beyond recognition. The cards no longer expire/retire, which is nice, but the downfall is that training upgrades only last ONE game. Meaning you can drop a +5 all card, worth like 10-15k into your Gretzky legend card, play a game, and afterward the card will be gone and he will revert back to "untrained" with his default stats waiting for another card. Dropped over 20k in training cards in my goaltender and my sniper, only to find out it was a one shot deal, in a rookie tournament game =/ Complete fail.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:24 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k7 View Post
yes they did. all of the arenas actually look really good on ice. staples pregame needs more lasers though.

thought the banner raising in gm mode was a nice little touch
Darn it, this game needs to show up at my door already...

I got an e-mail from Toys-R-Us on the 11th saying the game had shipped and would be arriving between the 21st and 28th of this month. Last time I ever order from then again, every other time I've ordered a game online it's been either a arrives on release day or a pick up in store. When I called about a pick up in store I was told in so many words that online orders are completely seperate from in store... So pissed right now, although at least I'll hopefully miss the first round of bugs and such and the game will be ready to go after patch.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Model62

May have to skip '13.

When I started my BAP playmaking C in NHL '11, I promised myself I wouldn't buy another version until my dude advanced to "Legend". No sim games.

Only 300 games left to go.

What's on tap for '14?

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:31 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
May have to skip '13.

When I started my BAP playmaking C in NHL '11, I promised myself I wouldn't buy another version until my dude advanced to "Legend". No sim games.

Only 300 games left to go.

What's on tap for '14?
Hopefully finally adding the KHL and maybe other background leagues. I'd love to see some of the Allsvenskin, and National League B, and perhaps ECHL/CHL teams included with relegation rules for the European leagues.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Martyros

What's funny is that the KHL was in NHL 2008; it better not be one of those "new stuff" in the game.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
What's funny is that the KHL was in NHL 2008; it better not be one of those "new stuff" in the game.
Wasn't that the RSL? I think the issue come up that when the KHL started up in 2008 they wanted waaay too much money to use the teams and players and they had to remove the teams. I can't imagine that demand still exists, and it really is the only major hockey league that hasn't been added to the game. Another one I'd love to see added would be classic teams, or at least a legends team for each team in the league.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Why does King have a mullet in this game?!?

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I don't like the skating in the game, have difficulties getting my players to go where I want them to go. Plus I love that they still are calling Lewis "Boyle" figure they'd figure that out after 2 years of the same mistake.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote