whl attendence

Who in bc division besides victoria has worst attendence

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 500
Victoria doesn't have bad attendance at all, on average 5,000 come out to watch, Saturday night games attract 6,500.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:40 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Victoria doesn't have bad attendance at all, on average 5,000 come out to watch, Saturday night games attract 6,500.
what i ment was out of hte BC teams not including Victoria so like all of the other teams in the BC division has the worst record

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
go_leafs_go02

PG averages under 2000 a game...I can't see them lasting too much longer - travel up there is horrible

Somehow they get to keep their team while Chilliwack averaged 3400 lost their team, and is located right in the middle of the BC division.

We'll see how Victoria fares ones the "Honeymoon" is over. Good market, but from what I understand, it's a rather fickle market if the team starts losing...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
PG averages under 2000 a game...I can't see them lasting too much longer - travel up there is horrible

Somehow they get to keep their team while Chilliwack averaged 3400 lost their team, and is located right in the middle of the BC division.

We'll see how Victoria fares ones the "Honeymoon" is over. Good market, but from what I understand, it's a rather fickle market if the team starts losing...
the reason why we didn't support the Salmon Kings is because it was the ECHL, basically washed up 27-33 year olds who aren't good enough to play AHL. We wanted to see players who were gunna go somewhere and see exciting hockey. CHL is the most exciting hockey in the world IMO so I believe we should be fine. I have to drive half an hour to downtown to watch them and I believe it's worth it. If Prince George gets re-located, where would they go? Richmond? Abbotsford? Banff? lol

Old
12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
the reason why we didn't support the Salmon Kings is because it was the ECHL, basically washed up 27-33 year olds who aren't good enough to play AHL. We wanted to see players who were gunna go somewhere and see exciting hockey. CHL is the most exciting hockey in the world IMO so I believe we should be fine. I have to drive half an hour to downtown to watch them and I believe it's worth it. If Prince George gets re-located, where would they go? Richmond? Abbotsford? Banff? lol
Back to chilliwack is my guess, heck the cougars almost moved there at the end of last season but certain things fell through

Old
12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Rocko604

Doesn't sound like Chilliwack will be back in the Dub anytime soon. They brought back the BCHL, and wouldn't be good for the league to have to find a new home, yet again, for the Chiefs.

I agree that PG's days are numbered, but who know where they'll end up. Personally, I'm in favour of contraction. I've long said the WHL has two too many teams.

I'm waiting to see if there's a drop in attendance at Giants games once the Port Mann Bridge (linking Surrey with Coquitlam on Highway 1) becomes tolled. It could really split the region up. With the Fraser Valley constantly growing, I wouldn't be shocked if Langley made a push for a team (5200 capacity at the Langley Events Centre). Naturally, Abbotsford would be the best location, if not for that AHL team no one cares about. In a perfect world, the new Abbotsford mayor rules the deal with the Heat illegal, voids it, Heat pack and leave, the league contracts PG, and Kootenay moves to Abbotsford before the Canucks can buy their own AHL team.

It's almost too easy.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Doesn't sound like Chilliwack will be back in the Dub anytime soon. They brought back the BCHL, and wouldn't be good for the league to have to find a new home, yet again, for the Chiefs.

I agree that PG's days are numbered, but who know where they'll end up. Personally, I'm in favour of contraction. I've long said the WHL has two too many teams.

I'm waiting to see if there's a drop in attendance at Giants games once the Port Mann Bridge (linking Surrey with Coquitlam on Highway 1) becomes tolled. It could really split the region up. With the Fraser Valley constantly growing, I wouldn't be shocked if Langley made a push for a team (5200 capacity at the Langley Events Centre). Naturally, Abbotsford would be the best location, if not for that AHL team no one cares about. In a perfect world, the new Abbotsford mayor rules the deal with the Heat illegal, voids it, Heat pack and leave, the league contracts PG, and Kootenay moves to Abbotsford before the Canucks can buy their own AHL team.

It's almost too easy.
I disagree, even at the beginning of this season, the WHL was saying how they seen Chilliwack as a viable market. The BCHL is there now, but I do see it as merely temporary, and the WHL will return one day (I would say within the next 4-5 years, although it's tough to see)

It depends on Abbotsford however. If the Heat leave or something happens, I could see a WHL team moving in there to service the Fraser Valley. Then Chilliwack will be SOL for a team, and would rely on Abbotsford. Still, I hope that's not the case. Chilliwack has a fantastic WHL ready arena that is too big for the BCHL. We'll see I guess, but I don't think the WHL-Chilliwack days are over just yet.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:

It's almost too easy.
If Vancouver's affiliate was located in Abbotsford they could draw 4500 - 5000 per night easily. Hope this happens one day....

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
I disagree, even at the beginning of this season, the WHL was saying how they seen Chilliwack as a viable market. The BCHL is there now, but I do see it as merely temporary, and the WHL will return one day (I would say within the next 4-5 years, although it's tough to see)

It depends on Abbotsford however. If the Heat leave or something happens, I could see a WHL team moving in there to service the Fraser Valley. Then Chilliwack will be SOL for a team, and would rely on Abbotsford. Still, I hope that's not the case. Chilliwack has a fantastic WHL ready arena that is too big for the BCHL. We'll see I guess, but I don't think the WHL-Chilliwack days are over just yet.
Well, I hope that is the case. I loved going to see the Giants in the Wack. Only thing I wished was that the Bruins were stronger and could have made the rivalry better. Unfortunately we hated Everett and Kelowna far more than you guys.

I talked to a few Bruins season ticket holders at work who have said they wouldn't piss on the WHL if it were on fire. On the flip side though, they're finding Chiefs games boring.

Their arena might be too big for BCHL, but they're also leading the league in attendance (almost 2000), more than doubling what Langley is drawing for an arena nearly the same size.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Well, I hope that is the case. I loved going to see the Giants in the Wack. Only thing I wished was that the Bruins were stronger and could have made the rivalry better. Unfortunately we hated Everett and Kelowna far more than you guys.

I talked to a few Bruins season ticket holders at work who have said they wouldn't piss on the WHL if it were on fire. On the flip side though, they're finding Chiefs games boring.

Their arena might be too big for BCHL, but they're also leading the league in attendance (almost 2000), more than doubling what Langley is drawing for an arena nearly the same size.
I totally agree, there's alot of hurt people in Chilliwack over the WHL and stuff, and it will take time to bring them back.

the ONLY reason why the Bruins/Giants didn't have much of a rivalry was because chilliwack never had a chance to support itself over 5 years with a decent team. Honestly, with the luck the Bruins had with management, players, most cities starting off would have a tough go at it. Things were FINALLY picking up the last year, attendance was rising very quickly the last half of the year, and then boom, the team was gone. There was a fair buzz about the Bruins last spring, but a playoff round against Spokane in the #3 seed (off by 1 point from the #1 seed) did the Bruins in too in terms of playoff success.

I was actively involved in trying to save the team from a fan's persepctive, and while I don't live in Chilliwack anymore, I'm still quite interested in how both the Royals and Chiefs are welcomed in their new communities. Chiefs are doing fantastic on the ice, and attendance is #1 in the league by a fair margin. We'll see what happens.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
travellingman345

Once again the Calgary Hitmen will lead the league in attendance.

Right now over 318 000 fans is 35 home games - 1 game left - with an expected crowd of over 14 000 for that last one.

Average of over 9000 fans per game. That is just incredible for junior hockey.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:

on your topic, the WHL could be looking to move out to Manitoba as well. Maybe we can do a swap, Victoria gets the Cougars and Chiliwack gets the Royals, Victoria Cougars comeback!!

Old
06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Drake88

Quote:

It's almost too easy.
I agree contraction is the way to go at this point preferably to 20 teams to match the O and some day the Q. PG would be gone along with maybe Prince Albert? Then maybe kooteny or swift current/moose jaw would go and the league could bring in abbotsford and Winnipeg. Here's a preview of what it would look like

WEST

B.C.
Victoria
Vancouver
Kamloops
Abbotsford
Kelwona

U.S.
Everett
Portland
Spokane
Tri-City
Seattle

EAST

MANITOBA-SASKATCHEWAN
Winnipeg
Brandon
Moose Jaw/Swift Current
Regina
Saskatoon

ALBERTA
Calgary
Edmonton
Medicine Hat
Lethbridge
Red Deer

Drake88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
RetiredHockeyDad

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/leagueatt.cgi

Does not show all of 2011/12

RetiredHockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
prince george isnt going anywhere, when the team is winning people show up.
there is alot of inside politics with ownership and management.

Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Yeah, for better or worse, PG isn't going anywhere. The WHL wouldn't let the team move AGAIN, especially since the community does show up when the team wins. If the Brodski's were worried about attendance, they'd actually attempt to ice a winning team (though, arguably, the team has had some bad luck in recent years). Not only that, I don't think they'd give up on a market the size of PG, they'd rather get rid of Rick, Dallas, etc

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Rocko604

The team hasn't averaged over 3000 fans since 2007. At some point, the whole "they show up when they win" argument becomes moot.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
They could end up in Winnipeg you know, and they move Kootaney to the BC division.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
RetiredHockeyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
They could end up in Winnipeg you know, and they move Kootaney to the BC division.
Kootenay prefers to be in the Central Division for travel. It makes more sense for PG to relocate to Nanaimo, that way the alignment remains the same.

Teams are surviving with 2500 - 3000 fans. If the owners were losing money, you can bet the urgency to move would be far greater. It makes you wonder with teams like Calgary that average almost 5000 more fans per night. 5000 fans x 40 home games x $20 per ticket = an additional $4 million per season into the owners pocket

RetiredHockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

I agree here, chilly is and was more than capable of supporting a WHL team, it's owners wanted to move to Victoria plain and simple.

It was very much like the Grizzlies situation in the NBA.

In a perfect world the Canucks take over the AHL affiliate in Abby and Chilly gets the PG team (which just doesn't work there, too small of a market).

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
Once again the Calgary Hitmen will lead the league in attendance.

Right now over 318 000 fans is 35 home games - 1 game left - with an expected crowd of over 14 000 for that last one.

Average of over 9000 fans per game. That is just incredible for junior hockey.
If there is a lock out I suspect the Oil Kings to compete with the Hitmen in attendance. Coming off a championship season and playing in a NHL rink.

09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 114
Oil Kings, Giants and Hitmen are going to kill it in attendance this year, especially if the NHL lockout leaks into December or later.

I'm fully expecting a team like Saskatoon to be top 5 this year, too.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote