HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
This is actually possible. But at that point, are people going to be calling Kunitz and his 45 points old and declining because he lost his powerplay spot? I hope we are smarter than that as a fan base. Just look at 2011 TK vs every other year of TK to see what powerplay time means to a player's total stats.
Chris Kunitz will be a valuable player until the day he quits hitting because he just can't do it anymore. If he gets you 20 goals and 40 points a season, and plays his brand of hockey, he will always be useful, even at his salary.

If Kunitz does that and is called old and declining, so be it. You'll always have those fans

Old
09-06-2012, 05:36 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Yeah

So much for "Malkin being overrated" eh.

Poor guy gets none of the love he deserves.

During the lockout maybe he'll get a cover with this getup

Old
09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

One of the Magnitogorsk news outlets put out an article that Metallurg has already ordered game sweaters for Malkin, Gonchar and Kulemin Says the Metallurg front office declined to comment on that or rumors that ticket prices would go up after the NHL lockout starts.

Link

Old
09-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

Thank god the Doan thing is finally settled. Now we can move on.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:13 AM
aSockalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Thank god the Doan thing is finally settled. Now we can move on.
Honestly I stopped caring weeks ago, I expected him to just resign a couple weeks after the Parise-Suter stuff happened. Also I once I got wind of the CBA discussions for the low-a** salary cap I didn't want to touch him, since we're sitting very near the 58m thats being discussed
(Correct me if I'm wrong, truthfully I haven't been paying much attention to the lockout talks, just hoping for a season )

Last edited by aSockalypse: 09-07-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old
09-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Honour Over Glory

Never was a fan of Doan, I am just glad he's not going to be a Penguin for the price he was aiming for. Phoenix can foot the bill for however long they want to.

I doubt they lower the cap, if they do, a lot of the teams are screwed and there is no way the league and approve something of that. A gradual decrease, maybe. Or if they do the cap decrease, then they have to change the cap hits of the players, not the actual earnings, just to make it fit, as in contracts signed before the new CBA.

It's a mess, don't care to really sift through all of the stuff they are discussing. I just hope they get it done. Until then, NHL's loss for fans is the NFL's gain. The funny thing is, a lockout hurts the teams Gary is trying to protect. Sure the owners will then just fill the arenas with events and make their bank, but not many owners own their arena's outright.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

The odds of us landing Doan were so insignificant that I never even began to think of him as a possibility. He was staying in the West, if not Phoenix.

Wayyyyy too expensive for what he would have brought anyway.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Never was a fan of Doan, I am just glad he's not going to be a Penguin for the price he was aiming for. Phoenix can foot the bill for however long they want to.

I doubt they lower the cap, if they do, a lot of the teams are screwed and there is no way the league and approve something of that. A gradual decrease, maybe. Or if they do the cap decrease, then they have to change the cap hits of the players, not the actual earnings, just to make it fit, as in contracts signed before the new CBA.

It's a mess, don't care to really sift through all of the stuff they are discussing. I just hope they get it done. Until then, NHL's loss for fans is the NFL's gain. The funny thing is, a lockout hurts the teams Gary is trying to protect. Sure the owners will then just fill the arenas with events and make their bank, but not many owners own their arena's outright.
Gary does what the owners tell him, not what Gary thinks is right. And you can be sure that it's the poor teams that tell him they will rather lockout the players.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Puckie09

Andy O'Brien ‏@bodybyobrien

Sid the Kid looking deadly on the ice on Day 1. #nolookpasses

Old
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Well at that rumored price I think we are better off without Doan. In the long run not sure it would have paid off having that big of a cap hit

Old
09-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Chris Kunitz will be a valuable player until the day he quits hitting because he just can't do it anymore. If he gets you 20 goals and 40 points a season, and plays his brand of hockey, he will always be useful, even at his salary.

If Kunitz does that and is called old and declining, so be it. You'll always have those fans
exactly my point. I agree.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

[Glad the Doan thing is done. Was never a good fit for the money and term he wanted.]

Old
09-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Prediction: Eric Tangradi outscores Shane Doan at even strength this year.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

That would be awesome and more than a little funny.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
I'll do you one better:

FACT

TK outscored Doan last year at even strength by 21%.

(I really doubt big dumb Tanger really outscores Doan this year). He would have to improve his scoring rate by 3x fold.

I'm not routing against you though. It would be great if it happened. I'd be happy if he could even get up to the abysmal Craig Adams level of scoring (need a 2x improvement).

Old
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Dont' forget the likelihood that Doan's production will continue to decline a bit each season until he retires. The trend is already downward.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
There are two things that I have been thinking about with this slow offseason. Tell me what you guys think.

1) How much is Letang's next contract going to be? The guy deserves some serious money.

2) Why the hell did Jagr leave Philly? It just makes zero sense to me. He was getting paid. They have money to spend. He said he loved it there. I'm not trying to hate on Jagr, but why the **** would he leave such a good situation?

Old
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Burgs

Uhh... pick one:

- always wanted to play in Texas
- loved it so much when he last played there
- always loved the awesome Stars fans
- it's where his heart is
- always wanted to play with his BFF Vincour
- owes Gagliardi everything
- took the highest offer

Old
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
mpp9

We'll be lucky to get Letang under 7 mil unless the cap seriously goes down.

Jagr went after the money. It's that simple. I'm sure he was serious when he said he liked it in Philly, but a team offered him 4.5 mil and he took it.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
if the rumors of Columbus offering 4.2M are correct. Jagr would be a fool not to go to Dallas (considering money seems to be his only motivation - isn't he trying to make like Mario and buy a team) and who knows maybe he gets flipped to a contender for a 2nd at the deadline.

edit: HC Kladno. i'm sure others know more about the financial state of the club.

Last edited by Crafton: 09-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I'll do you one better:

FACT

TK outscored Doan last year at even strength by 21%.

(I really doubt big dumb Tanger really outscores Doan this year). He would have to improve his scoring rate by 3x fold.

I'm not routing against you though. It would be great if it happened. I'd be happy if he could even get up to the abysmal Craig Adams level of scoring (need a 2x improvement).
while its true TK outscored Doan per game, I really don't like using per game stats for guys who miss time every single year. On Tangradi, I think he's going to be everything we need in a top 6 winger. He might not be everything we want (right handed sniper) but he'll add size, good skating and good hands. And he should eventually be able to replace Kunitz as the net front guy.

My concern with TK is he brings nothing to the top 6 that he can't provide from the 3rd line. He doesn't use his linemates very well and he's undersized. Most of his production comes from hard work and throwing pucks to the net. He isn't going to be carrying the puck and he isn't going to be winning many tough puck battles in the corners against top defenses. I just think Tangradi fits the role we actually need in the top 6 better than TK.

TK may outproduce Tangradi in that role, but I don't think that makes him the better player for the job. This is all assuming Tangradi can get himself adjusted to the speed of the NHL and get the hesitation out of his game. If he can't do that then he's never going to stick.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We'll be lucky to get Letang under 7 mil unless the cap seriously goes down.

Jagr went after the money. It's that simple. I'm sure he was serious when he said he liked it in Philly, but a team offered him 4.5 mil and he took it.
If Letang was signing right now I think he'd be taking almost the exact same deal Karlsson just took. Your 7 mil is probably about right based on Letang signing two years later. Though the new CBA could change everything.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
If Letang was signing right now I think he'd be taking almost the exact same deal Karlsson just took. Your 7 mil is probably about right based on Letang signing two years later. Though the new CBA could change everything.
This is why I am very curious as to how our defensive pool will develop over the next couple of years. Even though I am a massive Letang fan, and he is a pure beast when he is clicking 100%, if our pool builds ideally Letang maybe better used in a trade for a big deadline package than kept on a multi year deal.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
This is why I am very curious as to how our defensive pool will develop over the next couple of years. Even though I am a massive Letang fan, and he is a pure beast when he is clicking 100%, if our pool builds ideally Letang maybe better used in a trade for a big deadline package than kept on a multi year deal.
not a chance we trade Letang for quite a few years

Old
09-07-2012, 01:05 PM
mpp9

With Orpik likely declining, Martin trade bait in due time and no one in our prospect pool close to being able to take on Letang's role, he'll be resigned for whatever it takes.

I do question his ability on the PP and his health with the concussion history and his style of play coupled with his size.

Closed Thread