HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sekera for STL 1st

Old
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
trublu16

vCash: 500
I get that it is very slow right before training camps start, and with the possible lockout. But this is another thread that does not answer either team needs. I have no idea what the Sabres need or want at this time. But I would assume that futures is not it. The Blues are looking for a top 2 defenseman and not another top 4 defenseman. If they plan to not give Cole a shot then they need to make that move for that top 2 d-man to play opposite of Petro. But it is not the right time to get that player. Wait until trade deadline to acquire one then. It would also give Hitch plenty of time to find out if Cole is a player that they need to keep or move also.

Just another bad offer, for both sides. Sekera could be worth more, but just my opinion that he is not. And the Blues do not need to clog up the d-men lines with another top 4 defender.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:13 PM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Are you actually saying Sekera is a physical D and he's better then Whitney, Smid, N.Schultz, and Petry.

Note I did not include J.Schultz because he hasn't done anything yet, but there is a excellent chance Sekera doesn't come close to him.

The knock on Sekera is that he is not physical enough and as a PMD it would be questionable if he would be a 2nd pairing D as one. He plays a good positional game and he can be physical once in a while, but I wouldn't call him a physical D.
Sekera is easily better than (N.) Schultz or Petry. He's a similar type of defenseman to Smid but better so far. The two are in the same tier, though.

Whitney plays a different sort of game and you could certainly make the argument that Whitney is better when he's not hurt, but that's most of the time. As for J. Schultz, we'll have to see. He's capable of being better than Sekera, but dmen sometimes take a while to reach their potential.

Quote:
I'm more of a reader than a poster, and I meant in general as a lot of people have asked for Sekera but it just isn't in the best of interest for Buffalo to part with him.
To be fair, there are those Sabres fans who seem hell-bent on sticking him on every proposal, often for pieces we don't need. (i.e., whichever overpaid winger, who scores about 25-30 goals a year, which is less than his age, are they circulating rumors on this month?)

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
I get that it is very slow right before training camps start, and with the possible lockout. But this is another thread that does not answer either team needs. I have no idea what the Sabres need or want at this time. But I would assume that futures is not it. The Blues are looking for a top 2 defenseman and not another top 4 defenseman. If they plan to not give Cole a shot then they need to make that move for that top 2 d-man to play opposite of Petro. But it is not the right time to get that player. Wait until trade deadline to acquire one then. It would also give Hitch plenty of time to find out if Cole is a player that they need to keep or move also.

Buffalo needs would be a RW or someone with veteran leadership.

They really dont need another D-man back and ther really arent interested in another #1.

They arent in a rebuilding mode...they want to win soon not 5 yrs from now. They want someone who will have some impact.

Sekera is good enough to be a top 2 D-man if given the ice time and getting offensive zone drops. When he take into account is contract he is a good buy.

They would wait for a bidding war to happen before trading him for a #1. they know he is an asset they have that he can be used to trade for a first line rental player.

Its possible Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaff will not sign with anaheim thus they try to trade them instead of them walking for nothing. Buffalo would do that instead than for a #1.

Buffalo has alot of defense depth that they need to move. They have 5-6 D-men sitting in the minors who are ready to step into the NHL either this year or next year.

If Buffalo waits til the trade deadline for Sekera the price will likely be higher than just a 1st.

Last year they got Gaustead for a #1 pick (plus giving nashville a #4 in 2013). Sekera should be able to get more given his age, skill and reasonable contract. With Buffalo having the youth D-men they have cheaper D-men who actually could be even better than sekera.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
McTank

Ney, sekera is our most reliable D. Something with leopold and a pick or prospect for stewart would work for me though

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:47 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Ney, sekera is our most reliable D. Something with leopold and a pick or prospect for stewart would work for me though
I may be in a minority among Blues fans, but I really like the idea of trading for Leopold. Not sure if Stewart would be the main piece going out from the Blues though. From our side it doesn't make much sense to trade a promising young power forward after a one year slump for a defensemen who may or may not resign. From your side I'm not sure your GM would want to take on another slumping Blues forward(See Brad Boyes). I also think your GM would most likely have to add a very high draft pick or prospect to make the deal happen which also may not be in your teams best interest. Overall I think both sides say no. How about something like Matt D'Agostini and 3rd for Leopold?

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Although I don't see the Sabres trading Andrej - He is certainly not untouchable if Darcy feels an improvement can be made overall - That said, I honestly can't see Sekera being dealt in a one-for-one situation - Would something like this work both sides?

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
C/W Cody McCormick ($1.2M)
2013 4th RND pick

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Berglund-Tarasenko
Perron-Sobotka-Langenbrunner
McCormick-Nichol-Grachev
X. Schwartz, D'Agostini

Pietrangelo-Sekera
Shattenkirk-Jackman
Polak-Russell
X. Cole, Woywitka

Elliot
Halak

To

RW Chris Stewart ($3M UFA)
C/W Philip McRae ($854K ELC)
2014 3rd RND pick

Leino-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Ott-Stewart
Gerbe-Adam/Ellis-Kaleta
X. Tropp, Scott

Myers-Regehr
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Leopold-McNabb
X. Weber, Pardy, Brennan

Miller
Enroth

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:50 AM
dannyj10

Pens offer TK+2nd+B prospect?

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post

Just another bad offer, for both sides. Sekera could be worth more, but just my opinion that he is not. And the Blues do not need to clog up the d-men lines with another top 4 defender.
Folks, I hate to reiterate what I already have said. But apparently it needs to be said again for not just other team fans, for Blues fans also. This organization has put Ian Cole in a position that causes him to travel back and forth from the AHL to NHL. And you cannot get in any rhythm in only playing a few games here and there. Hence we as an organization need to find out if Cole is a player or pretender. And if the same defense from last year be the best in the league with CC as Petro's partner. It can at least be top 10 with Cole as Petro's partner. It is time to give the kid a chance before spending a high price tag on something that may or may not work out. Everything thing needs to wait until that trading deadline, unless Armstrong gets such a great deal that he cannot say no to an offer.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
walzmark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

STL 2013 1st

Andrej Sekera

Thoughts?
Deal

walzmark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:37 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walzmark17 View Post
Deal
I don't think so, we need talent coming back.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:50 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

We need more then a 1st coming back for Sekera. Last year he was our BEST defensive defenseman according to advanced statistics. He can also move the puck up the ice very quickly, has good vision as well. Some sabres fans think he is our best D man...I see Myers and Ehrhoff being better IMO.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
We need more then a 1st coming back for Sekera. Last year he was our BEST defensive defenseman according to advanced statistics. He can also move the puck up the ice very quickly, has good vision as well. Some sabres fans think he is our best D man...I see Myers and Ehrhoff being better IMO.

As i said above.....they would want more than a 1st given they got a first from Nashville last year (say around the same spot St Louis would be) for Paul Gausted.

The only way I see a trade for a #1 happening is if that #1 will be used for a trade to another team....like using the #1 as part of apackage for a player they want to add but arent interested in Sekera.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Unless St Louis is offering Berglund, this discussion should be over.

The Sabres got a 1st for giving up 20 games of 31 yr old Paul Gaustad, you think they are going to give up 3 years of a 26 year old shut down defensemen for the same type of 1st round pick???

:

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Unless St Louis is offering Berglund, this discussion should be over.

The Sabres got a 1st for giving up 20 games of 31 yr old Paul Gaustad, you think they are going to give up 3 years of a 26 year old shut down defensemen for the same type of 1st round pick???

:
No way Sekera could get you Berglund

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Then no way the Blues can get Sekera. And I am perfectly fine with that...there is no reason to shop him to begin with.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Then no way the Blues can get Sekera. And I am perfectly fine with that...there is no reason to shop him to begin with.
Then we're in agreement, and there should be no real discussion after this

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
and now you know what fair value feels like

Old
09-07-2012, 03:52 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
and now you know what fair value feels like
How do you figure? I already said that Sekera is worth more than a first. But no way he gets you Berglund. I also said I wasnt interested in Sekera so its a moot point anyway.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

So we take that 1st round pick and draft a guy who has a poor chance of becoming as good as Sekera?

Makes tons of sense.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
How do you figure? I already said that Sekera is worth more than a first. But no way he gets you Berglund. I also said I wasnt interested in Sekera so its a moot point anyway.
Let me show you how I figure...

Among the top 50 defensemen in Quality of Competition, Sekera ranked 22nd in GF/GA Differential

Petriangelo was 13th among those same top 50 in QoC

(This is not meant to say Sekera is as good as Petriangelo, but to put in context how good Sekera is... FYI He's a top 40 defensemen in the NHL Right now.... or I should say, his performance last year would rank him among the top 40 performances by defensemen who face the opponents toughest matchups)

Petriangelo
Sekera

QoC

QoT

Corsi Rel QoC
Corsi QoC

Corsi Rel QoT
Corsi QoT

GF On per 60

GA On per 60

GF/GA On Diff

GF Off per 60
GA Off per 60
GF/GA Off Diff

Offensive Zone Start
52.8%
48.9%

Petriangelo is a top 10 defensemen IMO
Sekera is a top 40 defensemen IMO

Old
09-07-2012, 05:39 PM
sabrescupbound

Quote:

Hey everybody, SirPaste isn't interested in Sekera so everyone should just drop it.

Apparently some Blues fans are interested in Sekera. And Berglund isn't that far off in value. The Blues may not want to go that route, but don't act like it's some ridicules offer. I could see Sekera and a third, because I really think a proven center could really help us.

sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Unfortunately berglund is a no go due to center depth (lack of). Regardless of fair trade value, arguing about it due to team strengths/weaknesses will not be a good idea.

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote