HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marchand Extends with Boston [4 years, $4,500,000/year]

Old
09-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
I suppose it all depends on where the cap eventually ends up but I think it's a pretty good deal for everybody involved.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
i think this contract sets a new bench mark for 'pests.' and is a bit rich... but if Marchand can be a regular threat to notch 30 goals then he suddenly becomes more then just a pest. the contract is very reasonable for 30 goals. Im not personally convinced he will score closer to 3o then 20 in typical average years... but if he does then this will turn out to be a bargain contract.

Im just worried that there is no way the team can manage a cap at under 65 mill without losing a couple key guys the way things are going now... even with savard/horton/thomas off the books, the cap number is still going to be north of 65 once seguin/lucic/rask get their new deals

if i had to targer the top B's in priority to keep... at the top of my list would be one of the two goalies {and thomas seems done so that will be rask} chara and hamilton {hamilton fortunately still on his ELC} bergeron, seguin, lucic

for me this is the core 6 guys that the team should build around and i see a cap cost of around 29-30 mill to get them signed. we might get left with only 30 mill to fill out the other 16 guys on the 22 man roster if the cap does get slashed huge. There wont be any money for a krecji or a marchand in the support group at that point... cause guys like kelly and peverly and boychuck are going to be getting paid too much to be moved.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
It's a little pricey, but not really bad or good. A very meh deal overall

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
That would Be less than Chris friggin Kelly got on the Same team, Not too long ago
Why am I not surprised that you feel the need to take a personal shot at me.

Besides the fact that they play different roles, Chris Kelly has experience, shows more than 2 years of consistency, is an Assistant Captain, is better defensively and more.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Really happy for both parties on this signing.

He was given 2.5 last year and this year to prove himself. In my mind he did and now they are giving him 4.5 over the next four.

Very similar to what they did with Krejci. They gave him 3.75 when the Kessel and Lucic signings were going on and and asked him to prove it and earn a substantial raise afterwards. He did and now has a great contract.

The pattern seems to be a second contract that is about $500,000 lower than what we all expect and then the third contract being about $500,000 more than we thought.

If you look at it that way, I expect Lucic to resign around 4.0 million and Seguin to sign in around the 5.25 range.
Wishful thinking, but possible , I expect Lucic to be closer to 5

Seguin closer to 6, especially if he continues to improve this year, a 70+ point season with stronger defensive play is likely

I could see seguin getting 2 years at 5 million then an extension middle of next season for 6.5 and a much longer term

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
WreckItRask

One major thing to remember about the nature of the modern day NHL contract...you no longer pay just for past performance. GM's now have to pony up for projected performance. Used to be that guys got paid solely on what they had accomplished up to the day that the negotiation began. For a lot of guys, that ship has sailed. Younger guys are now getting deals for not only what they've done so far, but you're paying for future performance as well. Kind of a bummer, but it is what it is. Marchand is getting paid for what both parties believe he is going to be worth over the next four years.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
School of WristShot

It's a fair deal compared to recent deals but Boston could have done better I think...
This is the exact contract I wanted to re-up Burrows with but now I don't see Burrows getting anything less than 5/year.

School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:37 PM
bucks_oil

Biases declared: I'm an Oilers fan living in Boston.

First... I like everything about Marchand... I even like that I sometimes hate him

But this is a pretty hefty contract for a guy of his skillset.... granted he's among the best of his skillset (a pest who can score by trying harder than the rest). It's great to have guys like this on your team... they help round out "good team" from "championship".

But they usually don't get paid this much. Ask Raffi Torres... or Burrows... or Pisani (granted, no where near a pesky, but in his day a fantastic shutdown winger with "game on the line" timing).

The reason is that you know the player is 80% effort and 20% skill.... what happens to that fire when they get injured, or satisfied? It's tough to keep the fire in the belly and it becomes a fine line between elite 2nd/3rd liner and AHLer.

Let's hope he continues to earn it... for all the "all heart, no skill" players out there!

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
One major thing to remember about the nature of the modern day NHL contract...you no longer pay just for past performance. GM's now have to pony up for projected performance. Used to be that guys got paid solely on what they had accomplished up to the day that the negotiation began. For a lot of guys, that ship has sailed. Younger guys are now getting deals for not only what they've done so far, but you're paying for future performance as well. Kind of a bummer, but it is what it is. Marchand is getting paid for what both parties believe he is going to be worth over the next four years.
Do people really think Marchand is going to better those numbers? They are good numbers, and given intangibles, *might* even justify the contract now... but I wouldn't have bet that most prognosticators see even better numbers out of him in the future?!?!

Old
09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
i think this contract sets a new bench mark for 'pests.' and is a bit rich... but if Marchand can be a regular threat to notch 30 goals then he suddenly becomes more then just a pest. the contract is very reasonable for 30 goals. Im not personally convinced he will score closer to 3o then 20 in typical average years... but if he does then this will turn out to be a bargain contract.

Agree with all of that....

Boston fan in Edmonton? Funny... you and I should switch cities so as to align allegiances and bring harmony to the world.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:48 PM
99 steps
to the top

If Marchard deserves 4.5M and isn't a UFA, I shudder to think what Bolland's next deal looks like.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Biases declared: I'm an Oilers fan living in Boston.

First... I like everything about Marchand... I even like that I sometimes hate him

But this is a pretty hefty contract for a guy of his skillset.... granted he's among the best of his skillset (a pest who can score by trying harder than the rest). It's great to have guys like this on your team... they help round out "good team" from "championship".

But they usually don't get paid this much. Ask Raffi Torres... or Burrows... or Pisani (granted, no where near a pesky, but in his day a fantastic shutdown winger with "game on the line" timing).

The reason is that you know the player is 80% effort and 20% skill.... what happens to that fire when they get injured, or satisfied? It's tough to keep the fire in the belly and it becomes a fine line between elite 2nd/3rd liner and AHLer.

Let's hope he continues to earn it... for all the "all heart, no skill" players out there!
As an Isles fan living in Boston, I really like this post. I absolutely 'despise' Marchand, but I mean that in the most flattering (hockey) way. I'd take him on the Isles in a NY minute. It takes a major toll on the body and mind to play the way he and other pests play. I don't know about you, but I'd hate to be cast as the villain by every other team in the league all season long. Injuries tend to follow guys like him where once the injury floodgates are opened with that initial big one and they're never the same.

With that though, I don't mind this signing at all. All contracts are risks, but he's still very young and trending upwards. I'd be concerned if he had a lot of mileage on those tires, but that's not the case here. This contract is right in line with the ones that have already been signed this offseason.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
What an outstanding offseason for GM Peter Chiarelli and the Bruins:

May 29th - signed Free Agent Goalie Niklas Svedberg to an entery level contract

June 1st - re-signed Left Wing Daniel Paille to a 3 year deal for $ 3.9 million

June 13th - re-signed Center Gregory Campbell to a 3 year deal for $ 4.8 million

June 13th - re-signed Cener Chris Kelly to a 4 year deal for $ 12 million

July 1st - re-signed Goalie Tuukka Rask to a 1 year deal for $ 3.5 million

July 1st - signed Center/Left Wing Alexander Khokhlachev ( 2011 2nd round pick ) to an entry level contract

July 23rd - re-signed Coach Claude Julien to a multi-year extension

September 6th - signed Goalie Malcolm Subban ( 2012 1st round pick ) to an entry level contract

September 7th - re-signed Left Wing Brad Marchand to a 4 year deal for $ 18 million
Amazing that he could accomplish all that while sitting on his hands.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:04 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Nice chunk of cheese for the Rat of the NHL

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
LSnow

Good deal, he is one of the most dangerous offensive players in Bruins, amazing hands, slick finish, and it seems he scored all of Bruins breakaway goals

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Fair deal, I did expect him to take a bit less to stay in Boston though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
uocooco

Pacioretty's deal looks even better now.

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
If Marchard deserves 4.5M and isn't a UFA, I shudder to think what Bolland's next deal looks like.
Yeah, I like Marchand but if he is worth 4.5M, then Bolland is worth at least that too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:53 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Ah, l got confused, I meant I think all but one year where UFA years. I was wrong either way.

Did some more reading, as it stands right now its a 27 or 7 to UFA. He'll be 25 when the contract kicks in. It goes for 4 years, so as the UFA eligibility stands right now, his new contract pays for 2 years of UFA eligibility.
So 2 of those $4.5million years are RFA years?

Pretty bad.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Beckham View Post
Pacioretty's deal looks even better now.
Patches deal is fantastic, but even his agent admitted he took a discount to help the team.

Marchand got fair market value, ain't nothing wrong with that

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Slick Eller

Good deal. Not really overpaid.4,5 is a tad steep but like I think he is worth more than 3,5 per year with his last two seasons (+ playoffs). He is versatile and hard to play against.

4,0 would have been ideal, but you can't really call a guy overpaid when its only 500K more out of 7X millions salary cap(until the new CBA is signed).

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:06 PM
PayItForward

A slight overpayment IMO.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, I like Marchand but if he is worth 4.5M, then Bolland is worth at least that too.

Bolland ( last 2 NHL seasons ) 34 goals + 40 assists for 74 points and a + 11
Marchand ( last 2 NHL seasons ) 49 goals + 47 assists for 96 points and a + 56

Call me a homer but I think Marchand's an overall better player.

BostonBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Pretty content with the deal. A lot of people, particularly those who don't follow the Bruins, don't realize just how skilled Marchand is. He has one of the best shots on the team and arguably the best hands. His puck possession is absolutely absurd, and he's not afraid to take a hit to make a play. If Seguin continues to improve, I wouldn't be shocked to see Brad pot 30+ this season.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:09 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Not that you have to agree or care what I say, but my initial thought was "Holy Overplayment Batman!"

Should have got something in the Steve Ott range

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote