HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

"New Era of MLSE Unfolding" hunt for new CEO

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2012, 06:58 PM
  #1
crump
Moderator
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,673
vCash: 208
"New Era of MLSE Unfolding" hunt for new CEO

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...igue-unfolding

Interesting bit of of an inside look at the new owners.

Also an interview with current Tom Anselmi
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...is-a-priority/

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:02 PM
  #2
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Another great hit piece on Burke by the one and only Cox.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
  #3
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Another great hit piece on Burke by the one and only Cox.
Huh? Where was the "hit?"

Cox called him "brash", "hard nosed" and "aggressive." I don't see anything there that most people wouldn't say about Burke.

He also speculated that Burke might not be safe in his position if the Leafs don't make the playoffs this season. Nothing new there, nor would that qualify as unfair or a "hit."

I thought the column was mostly old news. A CEO retired and new ownership took over. Of course there is going to be corporate intrigue.

What I did find interesting was his comment that there were some within Rogers and Bell that wanted a complete house cleaning of the basketball and hockey executives. That's the first time I've read or heard anything beyond: "Even with new owners, it's business as usual at MLSE..."

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
  #4
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Huh? Where was the "hit?"

Cox called him "brash", "hard nosed" and "aggressive." I don't see anything there that most people wouldn't say about Burke.

He also speculated that Burke might not be safe in his position if the Leafs don't make the playoffs this season. Nothing new there, nor would that qualify as unfair or a "hit."

I thought the column was mostly old news. A CEO retired and new ownership took over. Of course there is going to be corporate intrigue.

What I did find interesting was his comment that there were some within Rogers and Bell that wanted a complete house cleaning of the basketball and hockey executives. That's the first time I've read or heard anything beyond: "Even with new owners, it's business as usual at MLSE..."
Cox doesn't have a clue about what some unknown future CEO will think yet he decides to write that Burke will lose his job because he can see the future. So basically more filler that did'nt need to be included in the article but it was because Cox just like the other 99% of Toronto "sports" media is mostly trash.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
  #5
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Why do people always perpetuate the myth Cox is anti Leaf or anti Burke?

Simmons on the other hand I can see.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
  #6
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Why do people always perpetuate the myth Cox is anti Leaf or anti Burke?
That's what's funny. Cox has probably been more pro-Burke than anybody. Over and over Cox has written that sometimes rebuilds take a long time and that the Leafs are in a much stronger position under Burke than they have been in years.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
  #7
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Cox doesn't have a clue about what some unknown future CEO will think yet he decides to write that Burke will lose his job because he can see the future. So basically more filler that did'nt need to be included in the article but it was because Cox just like the other 99% of Toronto "sports" media is mostly trash.
The typical fan of a sports team is clouded by bias, and seem to always think that things are going well for their team. Even when thing aren't going well. Even when things are going flat out terribly. Even when things are almost rock bottom for a 100 year old franchise.

Sports media are often much more impartial. But being that the typical fan is for some reason utterly unable to see things objectively, they usually hate the local sports media for the "sin" of analyzing the team realistically.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:56 PM
  #8
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
That's what's funny. Cox has probably been more pro-Burke than anybody. Over and over Cox has written that sometimes rebuilds take a long time and that the Leafs are in a much stronger position under Burke than they have been in years.
Agreed he was one reporter that never blasted Burke for the Kessel trade either, he also wrote some of his best work in years following the Leafs Farm club "the Marlies" on their Calder Cup run.

He's not a cheerleader, and that is fine by me.

When a reporter is a yes man, I'd rather not read them at all.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:56 PM
  #9
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Simmons on the other hand I can see.
I enjoy reading both, but Cox is a far better analytical writer than Simmons.

Steve Simmons is often all over the place with his views. He wants to rebuild, but he wants to win now. He thinks the Blue Jays have taken a huge step back this year, but ignores the bizarre string of injuries that have taken their toll.

In many ways he is just like an impatient fan that is up or down depending on the current game situation.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
  #10
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Why do people always perpetuate the myth Cox is anti Leaf or anti Burke?

Simmons on the other hand I can see.


They're cut from the same cloth, one just has a bald head and the other one is almost there.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  #11
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I enjoy reading both, but Cox is a far better analytical writer than Simmons.

Steve Simmons is often all over the place with his views. He wants to rebuild, but he wants to win now. He thinks the Blue Jays have taken a huge step back this year, but ignores the bizarre string of injuries that have taken their toll.

In many ways he is just like an impatient fan that is up or down depending on the current game situation.
Simmons is awful, I laugh more at what he writes than even get a rise out of his attempts at trolling.

Cox shouldn't even be even mentioned with a slug like Steve.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM
  #12
Longshot
Registered User
 
Longshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Simmons is awful, I laugh more at what he writes than even get a rise out of his attempts at trolling.

Cox shouldn't even be even mentioned with a slug like Steve.
I think Simmons is an excellent writer - even if I don't agree with all of the content that he produces. Sometimes I think he takes an overly simplistic view of things in a black and white kind of manner.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:08 PM
  #13
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Agreed he was one reporter that never blasted Burke for the Kessel trade either, he also wrote some of his best work in years following the Leafs Farm club "the Marlies" on their Calder Cup run.

He's not a cheerleader, and that is fine by me.

When a reporter is a yes man, I'd rather not read them at all.
Yet here he is just a few months ago saying the Leafs should turn the page and trade our only legit young star when he's exactly the last problem on our team.

Cox: Toronto Maple Leafs need to turn page on Phil Kessel


Pretty obvious why a newspaper reporter should never run a sports franchise.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:10 PM
  #14
Northern Dancer
Registered User
 
Northern Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 3km From the ACC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...igue-unfolding

Interesting bit of of an inside look at the new owners.

Also an interview with current Tom Anselmi
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...is-a-priority/
Nothing against Cox but anyone one of us here could have written a similar article. There is absolutely no meat in that story and nothing new.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:03 PM
  #15
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
"Would Rogers prefer a different style of hockey man, or does it embrace Burke’s championship pedigree and take-no-prisoners style?"

The only thing worth noting in any of this is Bell. Rogers has pretty clearly shown over the past decade they aren't interested in winning and competing with the big boys.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:46 PM
  #16
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Nothing against Cox but anyone one of us here could have written a similar article. There is absolutely no meat in that story and nothing new.
I'd guess we discuss things much more than the typical fan though.

__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Keon

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:21 AM
  #17
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Nothing against Cox but anyone one of us here could have written a similar article. There is absolutely no meat in that story and nothing new.
Go get a job in the sports section and write a article about the leafs in the offseason on the verge of a lockout and prove it.. I agree with you, but it's something to talk about apparently. Why complain about it?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:59 AM
  #18
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Go get a job in the sports section and write a article about the leafs in the offseason on the verge of a lockout and prove it.. I agree with you, but it's something to talk about apparently. Why complain about it?
Isn't that what these boards are for?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:23 AM
  #19
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Go get a job in the sports section and write a article about the leafs in the offseason on the verge of a lockout and prove it.. I agree with you, but it's something to talk about apparently. Why complain about it?
You think this is some brilliant piece of writing that couldn't be matched?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:44 AM
  #20
Northern Dancer
Registered User
 
Northern Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 3km From the ACC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Go get a job in the sports section and write a article about the leafs in the offseason on the verge of a lockout and prove it.. I agree with you, but it's something to talk about apparently. Why complain about it?
Wasn't complaining.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  #21
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...igue-unfolding

Interesting bit of of an inside look at the new owners.

Also an interview with current Tom Anselmi
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...is-a-priority/
Leafs -- 35 W -- 47 L -- 5th last
Raptors -- 23 W -- 43 L -- 8th last
FC -- 5 W -- 16 L -- Dead last


Apparently there is lots of money in losing. Let's face it a group of well trained baboons could do as well. Probably better since they'd finish dead last and get some decent prospects. MLSE is a ****ing joke.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:57 AM
  #22
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Leafs -- 35 W -- 47 L -- 5th last
Raptors -- 23 W -- 43 L -- 8th last
FC -- 5 W -- 16 L -- Dead last


Apparently there is lots of money in losing. Let's face it a group of well trained baboons could do as well. Probably better since they'd finish dead last and get some decent prospects. MLSE is a ****ing joke.
Don't forget to add in the prized possession of our new owners. Those Blue Jays are something else eh?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:13 AM
  #23
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Yet here he is just a few months ago saying the Leafs should turn the page and trade our only legit young star when he's exactly the last problem on our team.

Cox: Toronto Maple Leafs need to turn page on Phil Kessel


Pretty obvious why a newspaper reporter should never run a sports franchise.
I recall this article, how is this a hatchet job on the Leafs? He never had a problem with Kessel the player, infact he has been nothing but complimentary about him. All he was saying is Burke may be put in position of trading Kessel before his next contract comes up, I have posted similar, to get quality you have to give up quality, and I doubt there are many bigger Leafs fans than myself. So if I can think this, Cox can certaintly, he's not paid to be a Cheerleader.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:26 AM
  #24
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
The typical fan of a sports team is clouded by bias, and seem to always think that things are going well for their team. Even when thing aren't going well. Even when things are going flat out terribly. Even when things are almost rock bottom for a 100 year old franchise.

Sports media are often much more impartial. But being that the typical fan is for some reason utterly unable to see things objectively, they usually hate the local sports media for the "sin" of analyzing the team realistically.
Your view of "typical" sports fans is much to generic in my opinion, there's really nothing typical about hundreds of millions of different fans/individuals which in all likelihood you don't know personally. Most fans (the ones who really follow their team) know a heck of a lot more then these writers like Cox and Simmons do, and well in advance in most cases. We don't live in an era (we haven't for the better part of two decades) where newspapers are the primary source for anything anymore.

Sports media is impartial because it has to be (even when things are going well) to suck in readers. These days media has less to do with useful information and more to do with writing a soap opera script so that people can tune in next week for more drama that doesn't really exist.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:42 AM
  #25
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,648
vCash: 500
In fact some of us have been saying this is a "Playoffs of Burke" season ahead for some time now.

When there is a ownership change in many businesses not just in this case here, they often tend to want to employ their own middle management people once they take over control. So reading some of the incoming Bell/Rogers majority owners might be considering the same is not surprising.

When a business is unsuccessful there is often change in management, to improve on past performances. When MLSE officially hires a new CEO then that person will be the main one that determines the direction of the organizations sports managers as they will report to him in the chain of command.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.