HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Hertl tops improved group of San Jose Sharks prospects

Old
09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
But to be honest, I really think he's underrated; especially when you have people drooling over projects like Doherty and Petrecki (not so much the latter anymore). I want him to get a shot in the big leagues to prove himself.
I can agree with you that he's underrated and he could get a shot if there are injuries to the d-men on the Sharks who are on their power play units. It's his defensive game issues and the fact that he's a late bloomer compared the Doherty and Petrecki who are number one draft picks while Irwin's a free agent signing out of university. The other two could still flame out as players only time will tell.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
The Man. The Myth. The Legend. And since you haven't been around here long enough to know who that is yet...

Matt Pelech
Pelech just turned 25 on Sept. 4 and will be remove from the Sharks' page on the HF site. He's no longer considered a prospect. I had to include him at the time of the article deadline and in my ratings and rankings.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
Pelech just turned 25 on Sept. 4 and will be remove from the Sharks' page on the HF site. He's no longer considered a prospect. I had to include him at the time of the article deadline and in my ratings and rankings.
I just looked up the exact wording, and technically when Pelech finished last season he should have been taken off the list

Quote:
If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
That should also drop Frazer McLaren, who turns 25 in late October, from the list.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I just looked up the exact wording, and technically when Pelech finished last season he should have been taken off the list

That should also drop Frazer McLaren, who turns 25 in late October, from the list.
The boss tells me to include them until the fall then remove them after talking about them as the last thing the fans will see before the player is remove from the page. Just like we update all the player profiles in August but players were removed after the update was done. It's for the search engines I believe.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:56 PM
smitty10

Hertl was a great, underrated selection by San Jose this year. His play at the WJC was very good for a '94 and he reminded me a lot of Datsyuk with his hands and two-way ability. Sure, he needs to work on his skating, but outside of that he's likely one of the most NHL ready prospects chosen in the draft. I'd think a year in the AHL would have been good for him this year to get him adapted to the North American game and to improve his skating under Sharks management, but he'll be well served playing in the Czech league against men for another season.

Does anyone here actually think that Abeltshauser will actually be sent back to the Q for his overage season? Kid's got nothing left to prove at that level and from what I've seen is more than ready for the AHL. If the Sharks (AHL) feel they don't have room for him this year it could be better for his development to be sent to Germany to play in the DEL, rather than stagnating in junior hockey.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:22 AM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Hertl was a great, underrated selection by San Jose this year. His play at the WJC was very good for a '94 and he reminded me a lot of Datsyuk with his hands and two-way ability. Sure, he needs to work on his skating, but outside of that he's likely one of the most NHL ready prospects chosen in the draft. I'd think a year in the AHL would have been good for him this year to get him adapted to the North American game and to improve his skating under Sharks management, but he'll be well served playing in the Czech league against men for another season.

Does anyone here actually think that Abeltshauser will actually be sent back to the Q for his overage season? Kid's got nothing left to prove at that level and from what I've seen is more than ready for the AHL. If the Sharks (AHL) feel they don't have room for him this year it could be better for his development to be sent to Germany to play in the DEL, rather than stagnating in junior hockey.
I agree with you about Hertl and his skating can improve on the big European ice surface. His skating isn't that bad on the smaller ice in N.A which you could see at the WJC this past January.

Abeltshauser is already at the Mooseheads QJMHL training camp and played one pre-season game. He was a plus one with four shot but no points. The big defenseman already played close to 30 minutes per game last season so I agree it might have been better to send in over to Europe to play against men. I believe he still has a chance to make the AHL Worcester Sharks out of the NHL training camp if he outperforms some of the other defensemen for a spot in the AHL line-up. The Sharks just want to be sure he continues to get a lot of ice time and it is unlikely they will want him sitting as the 7th or 8th d-man instead of the number one in Halifax at the junior level. If he stays in the Q then he will be expected to dominate and be one of the offensive leaders for defenseman in the league again this year.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Kitten Mittons

Konrad needs to add some muscle and a mean streak. Even if he does make it in the NHL, I don't want no Bouwmeester.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I agree with you about Hertl and his skating can improve on the big European ice surface. His skating isn't that bad on the smaller ice in N.A which you could see at the WJC this past January.

Abeltshauser is already at the Mooseheads QJMHL training camp and played one pre-season game. He was a plus one with four shot but no points. The big defenseman already played close to 30 minutes per game last season so I agree it might have been better to send in over to Europe to play against men. I believe he still has a chance to make the AHL Worcester Sharks out of the NHL training camp if he outperforms some of the other defensemen for a spot in the AHL line-up. The Sharks just want to be sure he continues to get a lot of ice time and it is unlikely they will want him sitting as the 7th or 8th d-man instead of the number one in Halifax at the junior level. If he stays in the Q then he will be expected to dominate and be one of the offensive leaders for defenseman in the league again this year.
Last I heard they are not planning for him in Worcester...it seems it's either the NHL or an over-ager year with the Mooseheads for him.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:00 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Last I heard they are not planning for him in Worcester...it seems it's either the NHL or an over-ager year with the Mooseheads for him.
This is correct, but seeing as the NHL season isn't likely to start on time I doubt he leaves the Q until their season is over.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote