HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Columbus Blue Jackets switching to paperless tickets (upd: other teams as well)

Old
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 500
Wow, I never realized there was such an emotional attachment to ticket stubs.

Me, I just want to watch hockey. Paper ticket, card, whatever, just let me in and play the game and I'm happy.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
This is what bothered me the most as a STH. With the struggles of the team on the ice and the lack of full paying customers it was tough sitting next to someone who scalped their tickets outside before the game for a fraction of the price. I liked getting the tickets but I can see why the team is doing this.
Depends what arena... or market I should say. If you're teams tickets is a hot commodity it's not true at all. STH eventually get marked discounts compared to people buying single games or from scalpers for a hot ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
I don't see the issue since you can still email individual tickets, and if someone doesn't have email well then that's their problem.

Though they should've considered leaving it as an option to get paper tickets, for an additional cost of course, say $41 per season ticket (that's $1 per paper ticket, which allows them a small profit on the printing costs). That way everyone's happy, the organization saves money on printing tickets, and anyone who has a problem paying a little extra for the hard tickets probably isn't going to complain that they don't get them.

Season ticket books are more than that...

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Season ticket books are more than that...
It costs more then $41 to print a season ticket book?

Well, I was just throwing out an example. Then they can charge cost + $20.

Hockey Team is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
It costs more then $41 to print a season ticket book?

Well, I was just throwing out an example. Then they can charge cost + $20.
There's a lot more that goes into it for most teams - it's not the spitter stock which they print out at the ticket counter for any/every event.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
There's a lot more that goes into it for most teams - it's not the spitter stock which they print out at the ticket counter for any/every event.
I've seen the rangers / devils STHs, they're nice, but they're not super fancy or anything. Unless the rest of the league is a lot different then those 2.

Hockey Team is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
digdug41982

They can pay for it themselves and shut the **** up about it.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:32 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
wait

is there seriously a complaint that you're not getting a physical ticket? because it seems like all the valid concerns have been addressed, so are people really pissed about not getting a shiny piece of paper?
My potential complaint is if this is designed to all but force people who might give or resell their tickets to use the Ticketmaster to do so.

Although someone complained about Craigslist ripoffs, anytime I have listed my STH tix for sale concurrently through both CL and my team's resale website, I price the CL listing for my pair considerably cheaper because I don't have to give a share of a resale of tickets to the team and ticketmaster after they've already made a profit by selling the tickets once.

Also, I can sell my tickets as cheaply as I want on CL. I often would list them there for the exact price I paid as a STH. If I list them on the team's resale site, I am required to charge no less than the gate price ... which last season was about $36 higher per ticket than my STH price. (STH cost — $91; Gate — $127). Which would you rather pay — $182 for a pair or $254? That extra $72 would cover parking + nachoes + a couple of hotdogs + a couple beers.

Frankly, I'm surprised that not more people — both sellers and potential buyers — aren't upset that teams are angling to make money on two sales of the same ticket and that the sellers often are increasing the price of the tix because of that.

Yeah, let's support a move that could give franchises a monopoly on both the initial ticket market and the resale market. I'm sure the lack of competition will actually drive down ticket prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
If it's to stop season ticket holders giving out their tickets to people who haven't paid or aren't season ticket holders then it's fair. They have these systems at football grounds in the UK and they're efficient in ensuring that those who have paid get in and those who haven't can't. I dare say that the card will only be allowed to be swiped once for entry and once for exit in games as well and each individual person will receive a card.
How's it fair if a team that I pay more than $8,000s a year to watch makes it difficult for me to give a pair of tickets to my nephew for Christmas?

Also, Ticketmaster charges a service fee to email forward tickets. And they charge for each ticket that's emailed. So if you have four seats, you have to pay$8 (assuming the fee is still $2 per tix) for the privilege of giving the tickets you paid for to a relative.

Aboslutely ****ing brilliant customer service, that.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 09-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:42 PM
GordonGraham

Thats just ridiculous to go paperless

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:06 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... very clever. In effect what their doing is shutting out & down ticket brokers & scalpers in addition to absolutely restricting the re-sale of individuals ST's, as they can only be transferred (and then monitored) through their portal. You could "sell" someone your seats to a game or a bunch of games & avoid that by lending them your card but in a lot of cases people buy ST's & then re-sell whatever they know they cant use or whatever via Craigslist or direct to brokers, in some markets people buying the full ST package & through re-sale making a tidy profit while simultaneously being able to hang on to the games they'd like to see. This is just another example of The Man making it next to impossible to sneak one by.
Actually it helps in selling the tickets too. As someone else mentioned they use flashseats at Quicken Loans arena in Cleveland. I was able to buy seats to a cavs game and the transfer went through flash seats. I paid flashseats and they credited the account of the guy I bought them from and I just had to print out my parking pass and they swiped my drivers license at the gate and the printed out receipts for me and my date.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
My potential complaint is if this is designed to all but force people who might give or resell their tickets to use the Ticketmaster to do so.

Although someone complained about Craigslist ripoffs, anytime I have listed my STH tix for sale concurrently through both CL and my team's resale website, I price the CL listing for my pair considerably cheaper because I don't have to give a share of a resale of tickets to the team and ticketmaster after they've already made a profit by selling the tickets once.

Also, I can sell my tickets as cheaply as I want on CL. I often would list them there for the exact price I paid as a STH. If I list them on the team's resale site, I am required to charge no less than the gate price ... which last season was about $36 higher per ticket than my STH price. (STH cost — $91; Gate — $127). Which would you rather pay — $182 for a pair or $254? That extra $72 would cover parking + nachoes + a couple of hotdogs + a couple beers.

Frankly, I'm surprised that not more people — both sellers and potential buyers — aren't upset that teams are angling to make money on two sales of the same ticket and that the sellers often are increasing the price of the tix because of that.

Yeah, let's support a move that could give franchises a monopoly on both the initial ticket market and the resale market. I'm sure the lack of competition will actually drive down ticket prices.

How's it fair if a team that I pay more than $8,000s a year to watch makes it difficult for me to give a pair of tickets to my nephew for Christmas?

Also, Ticketmaster charges a service fee to email forward tickets. And they charge for each ticket that's emailed. So if you have four seats, you have to pay$8 (assuming the fee is still $2 per tix) for the privilege of giving the tickets you paid for to a relative.

Aboslutely ****ing brilliant customer service, that.
Here's a link I posted earlier to the FAQ on how the Lightning are handling this. It addresses almost every area you mention. As you'll see, you can print and sell your tickets. You can e-mail them to people. You can handle all of this and, at least for Lightning STHs, there's no charge. I'd think most teams will have a similar policy, so you could print and sell your tickets for $1 if you want. You want to give tickets to your nephew? E-mail them to him for free. Or print them and hand them to him.

click here

Old
09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
digdug41982

Nah, the way it was, the standard if you will, is preferred, add the rest as an option but as has been said, people value the ticket and at these prices, expect it, period.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:59 PM
HHHH

WNBA team in CT started doing this a few years back...I don't know how many season ticket holders they have though.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s..._in_the_cards/

HHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Actually it helps in selling the tickets too. As someone else mentioned they use flashseats at Quicken Loans arena in Cleveland. I was able to buy seats to a cavs game and the transfer went through flash seats. I paid flashseats and they credited the account of the guy I bought them from and I just had to print out my parking pass and they swiped my drivers license at the gate and the printed out receipts for me and my date.
I use flash seats for parking at the Gateway East garage. Haven't had a paper ticket or pass in years. I love it.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:27 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
While it goes against a great tradition I'm sure it saves them a ton of costs.
When someones spending thousands of dollars to buy tickets from you, spending a few extra bucks to put it all into a nice little package is an expense you easily allow for.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

This is awesome. Get over it, because everyone else will be doing the same thing in five years.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Realm

The Oilers are doing the card thing instead of the tickets this year as well.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
TheTakedown764

lets think about the one team that came uo wth this...

the blue jackets.. they are one of the lowest revenue teams in the league...

they are going to cut corners wherever they can... duh...

I don't see the Rangers or the leafs doing this.

TheTakedown764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:48 AM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

...yet

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:53 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, on the their website, it says you can allow others to print the tickets but you must supply their email through the Blue Jackets web portal, lol.
Which then undoubtedly gets your friends email on the Jackets mailing list where they're bombarded with marketing material.

09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:

The one team that came up with this?

Others have posted that their teams are already doing this. The Lightning are starting it this year, as well.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Nah, the way it was, the standard if you will, is preferred, add the rest as an option but as has been said, people value the ticket and at these prices, expect it, period.
Seems like you and your kin are about to be left in the dust then!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:58 PM
IslesNorway

Saves the environment too. Can't see a reason people should be upset with this to be honest, it's almost like complaining about people not using cheque books anymore...

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I greatly enjoy the mock outrage that you have on behalf of fans of a team that you don't follow.

Quote:

Yet it was the Cleveland Cavaliers who began this system when they were packing the house and producing a massive amount of revenue (and profit).

It was also in Columbus that the NHL decided to change the draft from a one-day event to having the first round in primetime...was that a bad thing too, or just different?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
IdealisticSniper

Yep just got notice te Lightning are doing this. Personally I love it. All it does is remove the paper ticket book itself. We are still able to email tickets on our own or try to sell them through the actual site. I can still sell them on bay or Craigslist or in person and just email the tickets directly to that person no problem.

That was my only concern and it's been addressed. I'm excited for this personally. The only reason not to like this is if you like to collect the ticket stubs. In which case giving an option for purchase of an actual book for like $20 would be nice. It's not really about saving money as it is moving to 21st century technology. You guys still write checks?

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Im surprised at all the outrage. Hasnt the modern world been moving away from paper for the last 2 decades. Who knows how many trees get killed for 14000 season tickets and all the other stuff that comes with it.
Quote:
I just don't see any reason to cut the paper cost, work it into the thousands you're getting. Fans getting **** on left and right these days...now over paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Actually it kind of brilliant sure you might lose a few peoples who use to resell half. But real hockey fans who buy season ticket will now use them instead of selling some at a loss and competing with gate sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
When someones spending thousands of dollars to buy tickets from you, spending a few extra bucks to put it all into a nice little package is an expense you easily allow for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Which then undoubtedly gets your friends email on the Jackets mailing list where they're bombarded with marketing material.
Checked with a buddy of mine in the printing business here. He indicated the cost per booklet just to print, not including the design of the booklet, could be well over $50 each, depending on the complexity of the color, what the team actually provides to print, etc. They could be spending over $500k on printing those tickets each year.

I am also not sure how this eliminates brokers or selling them on Craigs List or some other way. You just e-mail the individual tickets to whoever bought them whether it is a broker, someone on E-Bay, etc. Those people could them turn around and sell them just as easily after they print the ticket.

As for being bombarded with e-mail from the team, just mark it as spam or opt out of receiving. Not a difficult thing to do....

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote