HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Recruiting

Old
09-01-2012, 07:36 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Not really recruting as it is training camp, but here is an interview with Adam Shell conducted with the new RMCPaladinsTV (me, new social media manager at the school) about how the first week of camp went for RMC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ore9q_7gXTU

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:52 AM
STUTOMMIES

Here are Saskatchewan's recruits.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...689/story.html

Of note it mentions former Tommie Kenton Dulle playing this year, which we knew, and Ryan MacDonald is red shirting this year after playing for Lakehead last year.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Polaris500*

correct me if im wrong but does SMU now have 4 goalies ?
Conway?
Peters?
Black?
Chris Perugini?

Polaris500* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
AUS Fan

Conway is not back. Graduated and moved on. I think he will be in the CHL but not sure.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Polaris500*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Conway is not back. Graduated and moved on. I think he will be in the CHL but not sure.
then i would assume
1.Peters
2.Perguni
3.Black

Polaris500* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article on Kenton Dulle going to Saskatchewan...

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...768/story.html

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Go Cougars!

Go Warriors!

That's all.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
cishockeyfan

Good Luck with this Guy Saskatchewan he may have some talent, but he will be a locker room cancer if things don't go his way. What a unprofessional interview he gave regarding his experience out East with St Thomas, regardless if they had a losing record. he led the team in points his first year, he would have been a huge part of the teams movement to improve his second year, but he quit before the season started, and than changed his mind after a few games and came back.

Hopefully for Huskies Fans this guy gets a spot on the Number one line and He leads the team in points and the team wins, or else the moaning and groaning will start and if he finishes the season this year hell be red shirting next year again looking for another transfer.

His comments could have been more along the lines of it just didn't work out with St thomas, or I wanted to be closer to home, or regretted my decision to pass up the U of S Huskies when Adolf recruited me

Can't wait till the AUS representative plays Saskatchewan at the University Cup and we see him leave the Ice sulking.

Any STU fans have an opinion on this guys time in Fredericton, knowing a couple of the guys than, he was misery in the dressing room and off the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
rantfather

Former Tommie at Saskatoon!

Quote:

Kenton was one of the Wild West line during his tenure at STU which during it's time was one of the legitimate offensive lines on the team which 2/3 ultimately moved on,I believe in.part due to the inability of the coach of the day to manage his assets properly.

Dulle was described to me by a former Tommies coach,now a pro.scout as having AHL potential,it is good to see him land on his feet at another school where he might receive proper guidance and support.
And is now closer to.home.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Dr Evil

Just saw that Andy Bathgate showed up at Guelph Camp.

Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I don't know if this was posted before/expected....but Jared Gomes has left UPEI after three season to play for Cincinnati of the ECHL.

http://www.echl.com/cyclones-agree-t...012-13-p178993

Old
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Dr Evil

CIS Ruling

Question:

Is there a CIS ruling, if a player is with a team, practices but does not play an exhibition game or regular season game. Is that player permitted to go to another CIS team?

Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
Question:

Is there a CIS ruling, if a player is with a team, practices but does not play an exhibition game or regular season game. Is that player permitted to go to another CIS team?
Right now there's no limits in the CIS on who a player practices with or when. Until you appear on a game sheet in an exhibition or regular season game I'm pretty sure you're a complete free agent (ie. I don't think it matters if you are on a team roster on paper if you haven't played a game). There's been several cases in the AUS with players practicing with one team over the summer in their hockey schools or pre-season camps, and then reappearing on a different campus come September.

Next season in the AUS, they are going to have a hard cap on rosters, so I imagine once a team adds a player to a roster you won't be able to change teams without sitting a year, no matter if you play or not.

FreddtFoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
I don't know if this was posted before/expected....but Jared Gomes has left UPEI after three season to play for Cincinnati of the ECHL.

http://www.echl.com/cyclones-agree-t...012-13-p178993
With the loss of Carter this really hurts the Panthers.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Right now there's no limits in the CIS on who a player practices with or when. Until you appear on a game sheet in an exhibition or regular season game I'm pretty sure you're a complete free agent (ie. I don't think it matters if you are on a team roster on paper if you haven't played a game). There's been several cases in the AUS with players practicing with one team over the summer in their hockey schools or pre-season camps, and then reappearing on a different campus come September.

Next season in the AUS, they are going to have a hard cap on rosters, so I imagine once a team adds a player to a roster you won't be able to change teams without sitting a year, no matter if you play or not.
To add - in the late Eighties - you were a free agent until you signed a card. At that point on (until the end of the season) you were on the team. Then or now, it is still entirely possible to enroll and practice with 'A' then move (in the still of the night) and appear and play for 'B'. When this has happened, it generally occurs before each school's drop/add date for the first semester as you have to be enrolled to play.

A team will not be able to publish a roster without the players consent and that is best managed by a 'card' system. Nothing says you have to use all of your cards in Sept. - always worth keeping a card or two free for injuries and Christmas additions.

You also don't want to push someone to sign only to see them go pro, so in most cases, you sign a player who's on campus and ready play.

Generally changes like this are used to address a problem, but I don't see the problem? So UNB has a few guys in stands - every team has a few guys in the stands. So, what was the problem the ADs were trying to solve by this - force some 4th line guys to select a different program instead of UNB, X or ACD? This certainly doesn't impact the top talent.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Generally changes like this are used to address a problem, but I don't see the problem? So UNB has a few guys in stands - every team has a few guys in the stands. So, what was the problem the ADs were trying to solve by this - force some 4th line guys to select a different program instead of UNB, X or ACD? This certainly doesn't impact the top talent.
There are several coaches in the AUS who have been bitter about the quality and number of players UNB had sitting in the stands on any given night - players that they tried to recruit to be starters on their teams. (Of course they never talk about it "on the record"). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who might be behind lobbying AD's to set a roster cap.

Or maybe the AD's just wanted to do the teams a financial favour and reduce their recruiting costs plus lessen the number of players that had to share the AFA pot. You know, save the coaches from themselves in the recruiting battles.

FreddtFoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

In university hockey the pool of players is drawn from the student population. There is the added problem that players can go to and from junior or senior teams.

One other thing, would a "6th-liner" actually even be able to switch schools?

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:32 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Forward Burke Gallimore to Alberta.

http://boxscorenews.com/gallimore-jo...-p46582-68.htm

Old
09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
STUpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
There are several coaches in the AUS who have been bitter about the quality and number of players UNB had sitting in the stands on any given night - players that they tried to recruit to be starters on their teams. (Of course they never talk about it "on the record"). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who might be behind lobbying AD's to set a roster cap.
Justifiably. UNB used 25 skaters last season. That's excessive. Yes, injuries, but that comes with the territory and part of the risk. Nobody should begrudge having to bring in goalies when necessary - not as if there was any competitive advantage to playing Matt Davis last year

STUpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:02 AM
AUS Fan

Regarding some coaches dislike of the number of 'A' players at UNB sitting in the stands: Obviously coaches can't go on the record saying that. They have to maintain the facade of unity in the AUS. However, it's no secret that several AUS coaches don't like the fact that UNB will recruit a player 'just so that you can't have him'. It's no secret that several AUS coaches don't like Gardiner for that reason as well.
Putting the shoe on the other foot, you would also be upset if a team was taking players your team could use and then not playing them.

I don't want to start a pissing contest, so I'll leave it there.....

Wait, how does Bryce Swan, with a marginal grade get in a 5th year program at UNB?

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:10 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

It take two to tango though...UNB may have those players sitting in the stands but those guys also chose to come to UNB, knowing the possibility of limited playing time existed. At the end of the day it is the player's choice.

Old
09-08-2012, 06:20 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
It take two to tango though...UNB may have those players sitting in the stands but those guys also chose to come to UNB, knowing the possibility of limited playing time existed.
Which begs the question to be asked "what incentive is there for these guys to come?"

I wonder if it is academic?

Quote:
Wait, how does Bryce Swan, with a marginal grade get in a 5th year program at UNB?
That isn't a fair question. I'm sure with UNB's high academic standards, probably the exact same as SMU and X, Pridham and Swan buckled down last year to get into one of UNB's world famous graduate programs.

Old
09-08-2012, 06:27 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Which begs the question to be asked "what incentive is there for these guys to come?"
Being part of a team that is routinely ranked in the top 3...and has been the most successful program in recent years in terms of sending players to the professional ranks...could that be it?

Old
09-08-2012, 06:35 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Being part of a team that is routinely ranked in the top 3...and has been the most successful program in recent years in terms of sending players to the professional ranks...could that be it?
I guess so, that must be it because no other AUS team can offer that. Joel Ward, Justin Bowers, Mark Louis, Kevin Baker, Dean Oulette, Jordan Morrison, Mike Danton.

Old
09-08-2012, 07:42 AM
rantfather

Have a credible program and THEY will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Regarding some coaches dislike of the number of 'A' players at UNB sitting in the stands: Obviously coaches can't go on the record saying that. They have to maintain the facade of unity in the AUS. However, it's no secret that several AUS coaches don't like the fact that UNB will recruit a player 'just so that you can't have him'. It's no secret that several AUS coaches don't like Gardiner for that reason as well.
Putting the shoe on the other foot, you would also be upset if a team was taking players your team could use and then not playing them.

I don't want to start a pissing contest, so I'll leave it there.....

My suggestion is that ALL teams concentrate on ethical recruiting practices and getting on with building a program with appropriate academic and coaching leadership.

A number of years ago a University of Waterloo men's hockey coach, later fired from Lakehead was sentured for making public comments about Windsors University's academic standards and LOST the opportunity of hosting any play off games,so beware of "loose lips"

Whether capping players numbers will ever solve a problem that is being described here may just be an opportunity for other unethical practices to emerge.

Get on with the business of building a program,hire somebody like a Troy Ryan who can coach and recruit appropriate student/athletes and let it be settled on the ice

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote