HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues projected lines

Old
09-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Evgeny Grachev in the opening night roster.

Several people I have spoken with says he took this off season in Russia training his tail off. He proved last year in camp he has offensive upside. He proves last season on the 4th line that he can be a defensive as well. With his extensive training and his ability to help Tarasenko ease into the North American style, he could be a viable asset on the third line.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-Grachev-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner
X- Reaves, D'Agostini

Steen takes face offs then swaps with Grachev (Unless Grachev has improved his face off skills).

D'Agostini could be moved prior to/during camp an Porter slots in as the extra forward.

Possibly something to look at.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Evgeny Grachev in the opening night roster.

Several people I have spoken with says he took this off season in Russia training his tail off. He proved last year in camp he has offensive upside. He proves last season on the 4th line that he can be a defensive as well. With his extensive training and his ability to help Tarasenko ease into the North American style, he could be a viable asset on the third line.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-Grachev-Tarasenko
X- Reaves, D'Agostini

Steen takes face offs then swaps with Grachev (Unless Grachev has improved his face off skills).

D'Agostini could be moved prior to/during camp an Porter slots in as the extra forward.

Possibly something to look at.
I would be completely shocked if that happened. Schwartz and D'Agostini will certainly be ahead of him, and I'd expect Langenbrunner and Sobotka to move up to the third line before Grachev going in there.

He has potential, but 3-7-10 in his 39 AHL games last season makes it near impossible to see him on a scoring line unless we see at least 2 forwards go with nobody coming in.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I'm thinking Steen's still terrible at faceoffs, so they'll put Sobotka at center.

Perron Backes Oshie
McDonald Berglund Stewart
Steen Sobotka Tarasenko
Porter Nichol Langenbrunner

Grachev fills in for Porter and Reaves takes Langenbrunner's place; should they need the physical presence. D'agostini will be traded sooner rather than later.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:09 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I would be completely shocked if that happened. Schwartz and D'Agostini will certainly be ahead of him, and I'd expect Langenbrunner and Sobotka to move up to the third line before Grachev going in there.

He has potential, but 3-7-10 in his 39 AHL games last season makes it near impossible to see him on a scoring line unless we see at least 2 forwards go with nobody coming in.
I agree. I think Grachev has the ability to eventually stick in the NHL but unless the Blues have a fair number of injuries at forward I think they're just too deep for Grachev to get much time with the Blues this season. It sounds like Grachev is putting in the work but I really haven't seen the results yet. I hate to say it but he would probably have a better shot with a different team.

I'll also note that his days at C appear to be over as I think he's exclusively played wing with the Blues & Rivs. Hopefully he can put up more than 10 pts in the AHL this season.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:25 AM
STL fan in IA

I'm surprised by how many keep putting D'ags on the outside looking in for a spot in the lineup...especially since everytime JR puts lines together, he puts D'ags on the top line with Backes and Oshie. Of course, "top line" doesn't mean very much for the Blues as the way they're structured, any of their top 3 lines could be their top line any given night. Other teams may be more top heavy at forward but few teams can match the Blues' depth. It's going to be hard to contain all 3 lines while also getting pounded by the checking/energy line as well. The way I see it, which will change often, is:

D'ags-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Bergy-Stewart
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Ex: Reaves & Porter

That leaves Schwartz and Grachev as the likely top two callups with Peluso having more of a shot if Reaves goes down with injury.

That 2nd line concerns me a bit in terms of consistency as well as defensive play but if Perron can play like he did at the end of last season (probably better since he's had a full summer to train since returning from the concussion), Bergy can become a bit more consistent and Stewart can rebound, the Blues look pretty loaded at forward IMO. Lines will be mixed and matched but pretty much no matter how you put the top-9 together, it's going to be hard for other teams to contain all 3 lines.

Old
09-08-2012, 03:46 PM
stlweir

It would be more than a surprise to me if Grachev made the team. I was very pumped about him during the preseason last year and I was very surprised how he had minimal production in Peoria. On the plus side he is only 22 and maybe having Vladi on the team will help him to play more relaxed. You can always use good depth.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 07:23 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I'm surprised by how many keep putting D'ags on the outside looking in for a spot in the lineup...especially since everytime JR puts lines together, he puts D'ags on the top line with Backes and Oshie. Of course, "top line" doesn't mean very much for the Blues as the way they're structured, any of their top 3 lines could be their top line any given night. Other teams may be more top heavy at forward but few teams can match the Blues' depth. It's going to be hard to contain all 3 lines while also getting pounded by the checking/energy line as well. The way I see it, which will change often, is:

D'ags-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Bergy-Stewart
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Ex: Reaves & Porter

That leaves Schwartz and Grachev as the likely top two callups with Peluso having more of a shot if Reaves goes down with injury.

That 2nd line concerns me a bit in terms of consistency as well as defensive play but if Perron can play like he did at the end of last season (probably better since he's had a full summer to train since returning from the concussion), Bergy can become a bit more consistent and Stewart can rebound, the Blues look pretty loaded at forward IMO. Lines will be mixed and matched but pretty much no matter how you put the top-9 together, it's going to be hard for other teams to contain all 3 lines.
Hit the nail on the head. I think with our depth, Schwartz will play a full year in Peoria. I would add Andronov/Wannstrom to the shuttle too. If either of them starts putting up points and continue their two way game, then I see them getting a look. I'm hoping one of the two will pan out.

I sure hope you are on the money Randall Ritchey... He has the tool box of size, speed, and skill we would all like to see opened for us to enjoy.

Dags is not getting near enough credit. He wasn't one of our picks and came to us the hard way. He earned it. I haven't seen where he has lost all favor.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Robb_K

It still wouldn't surprise me if Schwartz plays really well, and wins a starting job on the 3rd line, and doesn't play at all in Peoria.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:20 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
It still wouldn't surprise me if Schwartz plays really well, and wins a starting job on the 3rd line, and doesn't play at all in Peoria.
He really only needs one of the top-9 to get injured and he's likely got a spot. Reports from the informal scrimmages are that he looks noticeably bulked up so that's good. Since it's pretty much a snowball's chance in hell that the season starts on time, Schwartz is pretty much destined to start in Peoria but once the season does start, I think he'll end up spending at least half the time with the Blues. With the current makeup of the team, he's just outside the top-9 but one injury or one personnel move and he's likely got a spot. He's been sort of forgotten about with Tarasenko arriving but Jaden also has very high long-term potential (although he's probably on a bit longer learning curve at first given his size/strength disadvantage) but I'm very excited to see what he develops into just as I am with Tarasenko.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
stlweir

Agreed. Maybe because of his size many expect him to spend time in Peoria (with or without a lockout). I think who will spend the majority of the season with the Blues. It helps him that he is a natural left winger. I would like to see him with Stewart on the right side.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:50 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Agreed. Maybe because of his size many expect him to spend time in Peoria (with or without a lockout). I think who will spend the majority of the season with the Blues. It helps him that he is a natural left winger. I would like to see him with Stewart on the right side.
I really hope he catches on defensively to how tight he has to cover point men as well as defend in his own zone to be successful at the NHL level. He has the skills to do it, but will have to put it into practice at the next level. The clips of Eronen walking in and teeing up in the Finnish league reminded me of what Schwartz looked like on defense in his first NHL look. I hope he can make the adjustments. His offensive skills would be a major asset.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

What about a total shutdown line of Steen-Backes-Oshie then, Perron- berglund- tarasenko, mcdonald-schwartz- stewart/d'ags. obviously the top 9 all play similiar minutes. Mcdonald would still be on top PP unit. have Sobotka- Nichol- Langenbrunner/ reaves.

Defense would be cole/ petro, jackman shattenkirk, russell polak.

I also like the schwartz with backes and oshie option and have perron-berglund- Tank and Mcdonald- Steen- Stewart.

or we could go the mcdonald with backes and oshie route and have perron- berglund- tank. schwartz- steen- stewart/ d'ags.

We have alot of good options

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote