HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[THE INSTIGATOR] Open letter to Geoff Molson

Old
09-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Sorry folks, for some reason, I can't change the title of the thread. I've requested some help. In the mean time, a new post is up.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
Halps and Nokes aren't aholes like Lapierre. Give it time and he'll wear out his welcome in Vancouver too.
Seems like guys who are a-holes in Montreal, soon grow up once traded...unfortunate for the Habs...

Armstrong will take the place of a guy like Laps...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Hartland Molson will be my next av.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:56 PM
macavoy

I was a little disappointed in the blog. To take the old stance and blame it on Bettman is so old and bad. He is the owner's puppet, he doesn't control the owners.

The reality is, teams like Montreal taking a big loss this year for a lockout ensures their long term profitability. NHL franchises need other franchises to make money themselves. The NHL is a partnership, not independent businesses.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I was a little disappointed in the blog. To take the old stance and blame it on Bettman is so old and bad. He is the owner's puppet, he doesn't control the owners.

The reality is, teams like Montreal taking a big loss this year for a lockout ensures their long term profitability. NHL franchises need other franchises to make money themselves. The NHL is a partnership, not independent businesses.
The interesting thing right now is that the big market are benefiting most from the weakest 10 teams by how much they suppress team player salaries in a cap world. In a 16 team league with a cap average revenues sky-rocket, which leads to higher team salaries which sharply decreases the profit margins of the top 8 teams and makes the former middling teams a lot more marginal.

The NHL's issue isn't a few weak teams, its that there is a general wide spread between the top to the middle to the bottom in revenue.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

In bold, the biggest misconception. Coming from that point of view, I can see your deception. The reality is that Bettman is Jacobs, Snider and a few others puppet. Others hate him while most owners are on the fence.

Old
09-13-2012, 07:02 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
In bold, the biggest misconception. Coming from that point of view, I can see your deception. The reality is that Bettman is Jacobs, Snider and a few others puppet. Others hate him while most owners are on the fence.
The voted today 30-0 in favour of a lockout...1994 coming back to bite Fehr in the butt.....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Of course, them voting in favour of a lockout means that they all support Bettman. If they vote in two weeks, a month, it could be very much different.

If you watched That's Hockey on TSN last night, Pierre LeBrun was quoting NHL executives saying the exact same thing.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Of course, them voting in favour of a lockout means that they all support Bettman. If they vote in two weeks, a month, it could be very much different.

If you watched That's Hockey on TSN last night, Pierre LeBrun was quoting NHL executives saying the exact same thing.
What you don't understand is business and math. The lockout benefits the rich teams more than the poor ones in the long run. Molson is currently paying out 56% in costs to players cost, if they get that down to 49% or whatever, all the extra money he pockets.

10 years making an extra 11% profit is worth more than losing one years revenue. Everything that Bettman can squeeze out of the players goes into his pocket.

If I'm a new owner and planning to be a long term owner, I 100% support breaking the players union a 2nd time because it means in 10 years time, when it comes to the next CBA, it will be easier to get them down to 43%.

You need to think as an owner to understand.

Old
09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
What you don't understand is business and math. The lockout benefits the rich teams more than the poor ones in the long run. Molson is currently paying out 56% in costs to players cost, if they get that down to 49% or whatever, all the extra money he pockets.

10 years making an extra 11% profit is worth more than losing one years revenue. Everything that Bettman can squeeze out of the players goes into his pocket.

If I'm a new owner and planning to be a long term owner, I 100% support breaking the players union a 2nd time because it means in 10 years time, when it comes to the next CBA, it will be easier to get them down to 43%.

You need to think as an owner to understand.
I studied in Natural Sciences and I have a business degree, and I've been in business likely since before you were born. You'll have to get up early to tell me what I need to understand, if I can say without sounding arrogant.

What I do know is that when you take your customers for granted and piss them off, you run the risk of loosing them. And because they came back once doesn't mean that you should run the same risk a second time because at one point, they will tell you to shove it "you know where". That I understand.

Also, there are owners out there who simply can't afford to have empty arenas and need the revenues. Those owners, as Pierre LeBrun pointed out, are not showing a strong support to Bettman and the NHL and they certainly don't want another lengthy lockout. I understand that too.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:48 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I studied in Natural Sciences and I have a business degree, and I've been in business likely since before you were born. You'll have to get up early to tell me what I need to understand, if I can say without sounding arrogant.

What I do know is that when you take your customers for granted and piss them off, you run the risk of loosing them. And because they came back once doesn't mean that you should run the same risk a second time because at one point, they will tell you to shove it "you know where". That I understand.

Also, there are owners out there who simply can't afford to have empty arenas and need the revenues. Those owners, as Pierre LeBrun pointed out, are not showing a strong support to Bettman and the NHL and they certainly don't want another lengthy lockout. I understand that too.
I've moved to the States the past 3 years and for hockey to grow even after the economic crash of 2008 tells me there is nothing to worry about fans coming back. Having been in 40 US states and seen how dire it really was, seeing houses sell for $7000, abandoned commercial properties and have hockey flourish in those conditions makes me think fans will be back in droves when it returns.

I've been to a Dallas Stars game when the Rangers were clinching an entry to the World Series and talked to casual / non fans and they might not be as passionate about hockey as you and me but for them it's still a fun night of entertainment.

People will be back in droves where there is good hockey.

As for the owners who need the revenue, they are the ones who NEED the lockout. They are battling over roughly $300m right now, the poorer franchises need that money to be profitable in the long run.

Charles Wang can afford the lockout, he needs to resolve his arena situation, the Yotes new owner is buying the team knowing there is going to be a lockout, no problem there, the Jets have enough money as they were vetted just last year, Tampa also has new ownership but they would likely be the team wanting to resume quicker along with Florida but those two teams will be the teams that want change and will support it because in the long run, they need it.

I don't see ownership backing down, once the players realize the longer this drags out and they see ownership offering less and less and making the players eat the cost of the lockout, the players will cave.

The quicker the players cave, the better.

Go Bettman Go

Old
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

In Brandon We Prust

In Brandon We Prust

“Well, to have some teams come at you like Montreal did, it’s definitely flattering, and I think it was good for me to also set a precedent for players like me and how important we can be to teams. That was something I was happy to do as well, you know? Sometimes players like me are maybe overlooked or not looked at as an important piece to the puzzle, but it was something I wanted to prove and wanted to show.” ~ Brandon Prust

PENTICTON, BC. — Every summer heading to the free agents’ market on July first, much is written and being said about the hunt for the top offensively gifted or the best defensemen available. Not so much emphasis is placed on players referred as “role players” but don’t be mistaken, the best ones do receive a lot of interest from NHL teams.

In the summer of 2012, none of that was more evident than in the case of Brandon Prust ; newly appointed Habs’ General Manager Marc Bergevin knew it. As many of the team’s fans recognized it at the time, Prust and Montreal were tailored made for each other.

Full article: In Brandon We Prust