New to Football (questions, etc)

Old
08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Thanks, so it's like when all the Habs fans yell and then boo when they think a play should've been a penalty.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:17 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Thanks, so it's like when all the Habs fans yell and then boo when they think a play should've been a penalty.
Exactly.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Booing, whistling, creative chants that belittle the other team and stuff like that were always present among football fans.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Corey Perry*

-Where do prospects come from? I know there are youth teams and stuff, but how is that all structured?

-Who are some good EPL players to watch besides the big names like Rooney, etc?

-How is the EPL's schedule structured?

-How good is Eden Hazard? Like could you compare him to an NHL prospect? (Like, where would he be on a prospect scale like HF's? 9.0? Lower?)

Thanks!

Last edited by Corey Perry*: 08-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
-Where do prospects come from? I know there are youth teams and stuff, but how is that all structured?

Thanks!
Short answer to prospects is, everywhere, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of young prospects everywhere. Most teams will have youth squads and reserve squads and those squads will play other teams youth/reserve squads in a separate league. Most teams will have many scouts in quite a few countries and they will advise teams on the latest and newest young talent, and teams will then sign these youngsters to contracts if they deem them worthy. Teams with more money are able to afford more scouts and ergo more young talent. Some teams are....shall we say retarded to how things should be done and are happy to just buy the talent off other teams as opposed to developing their own. But that's just my opinion.

For your second qu, I cant really answer that, just watch some EPL games and you'll see any guys that are good or not.

EPL is made up of 20 teams, each team plays each other, once home and once away to make up a total of 38 games, and the team that obviously gets the most points wins the league. The schedule is very much tailored to TV, you'll see the big teams play more on a Sunday and non-Saturday days because TV companies want to put them on TV as much as they can. It should be mentioned under FA and Premier League rules no 3pm league games can be put on domestic TV and so the more games that can be put on non Saturday days will make everyone more money. Other than that there isn't much to tell other than the schedule starts in August and ends in May and that unlike some other leagues, apart from the odd international break there are no official breaks in the league so pretty much from August to May is football football football.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:03 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
I'm not familiar with the English system, but I think it resembles the system we have over here in Belgium. Each team has its own youth system where young players are groomed starting from the age of seven. 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18 year olds have their own team, and play in their league against the youth teams of other first division teams. Off course, there's a big fight among teams to get the most talented youngsters to join their team. Scouts go and see players in youth systems of teams that play in lower divisions to find that raw talent that might make it to the top.

From the age of 16+, things start to get messy: it can be that very talented players are dropped right into the first squad, others are being sent to the B-squad, which is a mix of youngsters like themselves, adults who lost their place in the A-squad and aren't needed anymore or A-squad members who return from injury and play with the B-squad to build up stamina. They too have their own league.

I'll leave this question open. The Premier League is such a ridiculously talented league that it's impossible to answer that question. Each team has several stars.

Home/away.
20 teams, so that makes 38 games.

-How good is Eden Hazard? Like could you compare him to an NHL prospect? (Like, where would he be on a prospect scale like HF's? 9.0? Lower?)
Hazard is not a prospect anymore, even though he's only 21. He has proven himself in France over and over again and became youngster of the year (2010) and back to back pro of the year (2011-2012). He's that good. He has only one downside, and that's that he doesn't defend. But then again, if he would, I doubt he would last 90 minutes.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Eden Hazard is kind of like Claude Giroux. Anyone else agree?

Old
08-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Stray Wasp

The last time I looked, English clubs have either Youth Academies or Centres of Excellence in which promising local players can develop.

Nine is the lower age limit for admission, but clubs are permitted less intensive "development groups" for under nines.

At sixteen a player either receives a scholarship to remain with a club under the Youth Training Scheme, or is released. YTS players enter the under-18 squad and can be called up to the reserve team.

No player may sign a pro contract before their seventeenth birthday.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Corey Perry*

Thanks guys!

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Stray Wasp

As to pinpointing which EPL players to watch, I'd echo the "too many to mention".

When watching a qualifying session ahead of a Formula One race, the legendary motorsports journalist Denis Jenkinson was asked by a late arrival, "who's fast?"

Jenkinson mumbled in reply, "they're all fast, aren't they; even the slow ones are fast."

The EPL is a very demanding league, far less forgiving than the Championship, England's second tier. The gap in talent and athleticism between the two leagues is noticeable.

The best defensive players are Lidstromesque in their approach, relying on positional play and anticipation to cut out threats and guard passing lanes. Diving tackles are a sign of desperation.

In terms of attacking play, the main challenges are finding time and space, being able to control the speed of the game and being able to play with precision, especially at great pace.

Goalscorers need to be able to lose their defensive shadows long enough to get an attempt on goal and hit the target regularly, rather than shoot past or over the goal.

In short, the skillset is not dissimilar to a lot of what top hockey players require.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:32 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

To find players, pick a team, and we can probably tell you the best few.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:10 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

BTW; This question was asked here a long time ago, don't remember where exactly, but teams get 25 Million Pounds for Qualifying in the Champions League

Quote:
"The biggest save in my career was the penalty against Udinese in the Champions League qualifiers last season.

"For one, it was a save worth £25million - that is how much you get for playing in the Champions League.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...unner-for-life

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:21 PM
cgf

You're assuming Szcz understands how numbers work.

EDIT: This is just the payout from Uefa, not including what teams pull in on gamedays.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
You're assuming Szcz understands how numbers work.

EDIT: This is just the payout from Uefa, not including what teams pull in on gamedays.
For a smaller team from a non-traditionally strong football nation, the exposure on the world stage can mean dramatically increased revenue from gate receipts and also new sponsors who might otherwise not be interested in your team at all. You might have a normal sponsor who gives you X amount, but when you get grouped in to play Real Madrid twice and another big Italian team, someone is bound to come along and offer you three or four times what you were getting.

That can mean a lot for a small market team in terms of getting new players.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Celtic get about £15 million for reaching the CL group stages

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 03:55 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinger View Post
For a smaller team from a non-traditionally strong football nation, the exposure on the world stage can mean dramatically increased revenue from gate receipts and also new sponsors who might otherwise not be interested in your team at all. You might have a normal sponsor who gives you X amount, but when you get grouped in to play Real Madrid twice and another big Italian team, someone is bound to come along and offer you three or four times what you were getting.

That can mean a lot for a small market team in terms of getting new players.
Oh no doubt making the CL brings with it a whole host of other revenue boosts, from sponsorship, to merch sales, gate receipts, concessions, add fan interest, more good will from local authorities when it comes to stadium remodeling, etc. I just wanted to clear up what the Uefa pay out is cause that's the only increase that's consistent from team to team, while all of those other factors vary greatly.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Oh no doubt making the CL brings with it a whole host of other revenue boosts, from sponsorship, to merch sales, gate receipts, concessions, add fan interest, more good will from local authorities when it comes to stadium remodeling, etc. I just wanted to clear up what the Uefa pay out is cause that's the only increase that's consistent from team to team, while all of those other factors vary greatly.
Thanks for the Graph/Table.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Anybody know what time the Arsenal/Southampton game as ET this Saturday?

Old
09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Anybody know what time the Arsenal/Southampton game as ET this Saturday?
Link

Apparently it'll be 10am Eastern Time (3pm English time)

Edit - For anyone who doesn't know, England is 5 hours ahead of East coast time, 8 hours ahead of West coast time. Clocks change on different dates in N.America and England so you have to keep an eye out for that. Don't think that difference lasts for more than about 2 weeks though so it goes back to the 5-8 hour difference soon enough.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Thank you!

Old
09-13-2012, 12:09 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Some friends and I have decided to dive into the EPL this year, try to pick a favorite team, etc. The time difference makes it easy to catch games here in the US without interrupting our football and soccer is a sport Iíve always dug, just never put the time into. More area bars where I live (Columbus, Ohio) are showing and promoting the sport too. Love the league system and relegation and the various cups and tournaments. Always thought that was very cool.

I understand the basics of the game, but what I struggle with when I read articles or watch broadcasts is some of the slang and terminology.

Two that keep getting me tripped up are creative and attractive. Obviously I know what these mean outside of a soccer context, but Iím not sure I understand exactly what it is inside soccer. Iím assuming creative is exactly what I think -- i.e. the same way youíd say a hockey player is creative. Right?
Iím not sure I know what ďattractiveĒ football is though.

I think this is a related question, but Iím assuming (like hockey) that football has teams that are more aggressive and offensive and some that play a more conservative and defensive type of game.

What are some examples of teams in the EPL that play one way or the other? Iím still at a point where it all kinda looks the same to me (other than at the end of a match when one team is clearly pressing to get a goal and the other is hanging back and playing safe).

Have really enjoyed my early-stage fandom.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Two that keep getting me tripped up are creative and attractive. Obviously I know what these mean outside of a soccer context, but I’m not sure I understand exactly what it is inside soccer. I’m assuming creative is exactly what I think -- i.e. the same way you’d say a hockey player is creative. Right?
I’m not sure I know what “attractive” football is though.

I think this is a related question, but I’m assuming (like hockey) that football has teams that are more aggressive and offensive and some that play a more conservative and defensive type of game.

What are some examples of teams in the EPL that play one way or the other? I’m still at a point where it all kinda looks the same to me (other than at the end of a match when one team is clearly pressing to get a goal and the other is hanging back and playing safe).

Have really enjoyed my early-stage fandom.
I would say attractive football is when team's play the ball on the ground and player's go forward most of the game and try and keep on scoring instead team's lumping the ball up the park hoping it reaches a team-mate and playing defensively minded not throwing too many players up the park

Stoke City is a great example of a team playing one way and that is physical and lot's of long balls into the box but sometimes they do play some good stuff but mainly stick to what is effective for them

vsk92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
RedBruin

As far as creativity is concerned, yeah, same standards as for hockey, usually it's highly skilled players who are able to pull off something unconventional to create scoring chances or score goals. Just like in the NHL there isn't a lot of time and space in soccer on the highest level these days, so players with the ability and technical skill to do something unexpected and effective all of a sudden are highly sought after and generally considered creative.
Attractivity is something that's subjective IMO, in soccer teams that like to play an open free flowing fast paced style with many quick direct passes are often considered attractive. The opposite would be teams that like to sit back and prefer to operate with a lot of simple long/high passes up the pitch.

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:31 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

**Homer Disclaimer **

"Attractive Soccer" is what some people refer as boring (The Non-Soccer fans). Thats how I see it. The most "attractive" teams in the world IMO are probably Barcelona, Dortmund, Recently Swansea & Arsenal (Probably forgot a couple). My definition as "attractive" would be to knock the ball around, distribute it to everyone, get every player involved and finally "Walk the ball" into the net. Another aspect that makes an "Attractive & Creative" play style, would be counter attacking. **Homer Disclaimer here** Arsenal are known to be one of the best counter-attacking teams in the world. I can't comment for other teams that pass the ball around a lot, so I'll stick with what I see every weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85QWAR_aoHE

I'm not a Barca fan, but this game was incredible.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:21 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Awesome insights guys. Now to put my new knowledge to the test!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote