Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Sempron

vCash: 500
how did the pay to park go last night. initial reports i hear was it was a joke. supposedly took forever and as you exit. some couldnt leave for over hour. say it aint so.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:02 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
how did the pay to park go last night. initial reports i hear was it was a joke. supposedly took forever and as you exit. some couldnt leave for over hour. say it aint so.
Best describe as a dog and pony show indeed.Some were in line up over an hour.u paid on the way out.Had Sarnia's finest sitting there with their emergency lights going,what did that cost.Understood they eventually quit collecting.Not enough staff.Our friends were in the lineup.Lots of people parked off the RBC grounds.huge safety issue as they were all over the place,dark and rainy.Glad no one got hurt.Lots of confusion as our Elton John tickets said on them 2$ to charity,some asked and thought it was parking but not so.2$ goes to RBC.WE have prermium parking.They didnt add the extra 2$ this year.Already pricey enough but was worth it last nite as we were able to make a fairly quick exit.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:08 PM
fanofdo

Spoke to some people that went to the concert last night and those that parked on college grounds were pissed. Even though it will improve, this may be the nail in the coffin for this organization. The way they have handled this shows why they have one of the poorest records as an ownership group in the OHL.

For those of you that say if you don't like it don't go - look at the attendance numbers. I am predicting the average attendance will go below 3000 this year - people aren't going. For those voicing their opinions, good businesses and organizations welcome customer feed back - successful organizations will tell you they appreciate good honest feed back. Poor organizations ignore it.

To those that compare the price of a game here to London, it is not a relevant comparison in my opinion. Put a product on the ice comparible to London's and people will gladly pay.

Lastly, regardless if people want to believe it or not, this team is essentially subsidized by the Province of Ontario (supplied the land and parking lots for the SSEC) and the City of Sarnia (paid for the majority of the arena). The very people voicing their opinion are tax payers of at least one of these and have every right to voice their opinion.

Old
09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Spoke to some people that went to the concert last night and those that parked on college grounds were pissed. Even though it will improve, this may be the nail in the coffin for this organization. The way they have handled this shows why they have one of the poorest records as an ownership group in the OHL.

For those of you that say if you don't like it don't go - look at the attendance numbers. I am predicting the average attendance will go below 3000 this year - people aren't going. For those voicing their opinions, good businesses and organizations welcome customer feed back - successful organizations will tell you they appreciate good honest feed back. Poor organizations ignore it.

To those that compare the price of a game here to London, it is not a relevant comparison in my opinion. Put a product on the ice comparible to London's and people will gladly pay.

Lastly, regardless if people want to believe it or not, this team is essentially subsidized by the Province of Ontario (supplied the land and parking lots for the SSEC) and the City of Sarnia (paid for the majority of the arena). The very people voicing their opinion are tax payers of at least one of these and have every right to voice their opinion.
Feel ur frustration on lack of team performance but must comment on arena operations.Sorry not a Sarnia taxpayer and unfair for me to comment not knowing ur situation.I sit on a arena board for another municipality and have for numerous years.Arena's are very expensive to operate AFTER they are built.Our arena has been paid for 10 yrs now.We operate with a deficit almost each year with good participation from our community.We have tried to bend over backwards to keep our community involved and they have.Hydro,wages,expences for ludicrous rules and regulations, and compressor equipment are our biggest expense.Our employees make a reasonable wage,no not big bucks,and the community has expressed there content with them.Doesn't happen often.NOW if ur loosing money as Management at RBC has stated,Then u don't spend a fortune on JB palace of an office and dressing room until u can afford it.Now is it the sarnia sting loosing moneyalso or just the RBC.It would be easy to move dollars around to load the expense on the arena and away from the Sting.Figuires dont lie but liars figuire

Old
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Goldobin has arrived but will not play today vs Spitfires

Old
09-09-2012, 08:10 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:

excellent post ,i couldn't have said it better my self.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Talus

if they plan to collect a parking fee at the end of the game which will cause huge lineups and long delays on leaving,i for one will not go to another Sting game.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
NewStingfan

Has anyone else heard the rumour that the Sting are close to being sold to a group out of Michigan? At the game yesterday, there was talk of it being a done deal and the rumour was making the rounds. Not sure whether I believe it or not but has anyone else heard anything? Also think I think Moore is going to be a real good player for them this year.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Not surprising but it was good to hear Yakupov squash the rumors that he might be back in Sarnia.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
OHLTG

Are people upset that they were charged $2 for parking, or is it HOW they went about collecting?

Old
09-10-2012, 11:09 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Are people upset that they were charged $2 for parking, or is it HOW they went about collecting?
If you read through..you'll find it's both

Old
09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:

I exited the parking lot wellington rd side and I found paying for the parking did not disrupt the flow at all. The problem was that there was so many cars it took some time to leave.

As for people complaining about the length of time leaving a parking lot. Have you been to another sporting event/concert any where else? No matter where I have been, unless I wait 20 min after it has been completed, there are traffic problems. People need to relax and not be so uptight.

Last edited by BoxerMax: 09-10-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
BoxerMax

I just want to put this on the record, but IMO I believe this team is a better offensive team than last year and will put up better numbers. Of course as long as they remain healthy for the most part.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I just want to put this on the record, but IMO I believe this team is a better offensive team than last year and will put up better numbers. Of course as long as they remain healthy for the most part.
Better balance and easier to structure a game plan with this roster than last year IMO. I think this team surprises people as well and that could be good or bad. The bad obviously being that management might opt not to sell its valuable offsets for a playoff run and lose them for nothing next year. Tough decisions will lie ahead for sure but this team, as of right now, should be very competitive

Old
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Better balance and easier to structure a game plan with this roster than last year IMO. I think this team surprises people as well and that could be good or bad. The bad obviously being that management might opt not to sell its valuable offsets for a playoff run and lose them for nothing next year. Tough decisions will lie ahead for sure but this team, as of right now, should be very competitive
Good post - this team definitely has some positives and will put on a good show many nights.

I stand by my original prediction that they will be fighting for a playoff spot - not because they don't have talent but there really aren't any dogs in the division this year, with most teams improving over last year. Having said that, goal tending will be the key. I think this team lacks size and toughness - especially on defence. Murphy will see a ton of minutes this year - he gets hurt we are in big trouble. Nathan C will be missed, this team needs at least another shutdown D that can break the cycle.

While I love the puch handling skills of this team, it isn't built for a playoff run - can't see them getting past the first round if they do make it. I said it in an earlier post, I would like to see this team with Kujo and a few of the other picks we blew to go into this season.

Dean, you have hit the nail on the head - huge decision to make this year.

Old
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
johnnydrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Goldobin has arrived but will not play today vs Spitfires
Hiya Mr Younblood
At last a "Goal!!dobin" sighting!
Not expecting Nail like numbers, but this kid is regarded as a good prospect in the KHL draft (I think went 8th)
What about the other Euro, who I gather is a D-man from the Czech, David Nemecek (6`3, 200ilbs)

Special hello to everyone in Sarnia, especialy H&T!

Old
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
massey

Quote:
Good post - this team definitely has some positives and will put on a good show many nights.

I stand by my original prediction that they will be fighting for a playoff spot - not because they don't have talent but there really aren't any dogs in the division this year, with most teams improving over last year. Having said that, goal tending will be the key. I think this team lacks size and toughness - especially on defence. Murphy will see a ton of minutes this year - he gets hurt we are in big trouble. Nathan C will be missed, this team needs at least another shutdown D that can break the cycle.

While I love the puch handling skills of this team, it isn't built for a playoff run - can't see them getting past the first round if they do make it. I said it in an earlier post, I would like to see this team with Kujo and a few of the other picks we blew to go into this season.

Dean, you have hit the nail on the head - huge decision to make this year.
Have to agree with goaltending.Hope he stays healthy.Defence sure looks like a weaker spot.I like the offence so far.Where did this Moore kid come from.looks good.Galy nice hands,going to be hard to handle for other teams,Boucher sniper for sure,Sarault looking exc,Hargrove looked better yesterday,others will come along also.as for Hottot,dumb penality again.Happened in front of us,he got brushed by windsor player,then went down and head shot the guy,cheap shot,5 min penality would hurt in a reg season game,verifies why he is not my choice for captain

Old
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM
PdashOw

Hey Folks,

We at the Observer are running our "Jacques Talk" column again this year where Beaulieu answers fan questions. And since a lot of what I'm getting thus far is pretty basic stuff
Anyways, check the details here; if your question is selected, you win a pair of tickets to a Sting game. You can email your questions to me at paul.owen@sunmedia.ca.

And of course, any questions throughout the year can be directed my way. I'll also be around to clarify coverage if needed.

Thanks,
Paul

Old
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM
lazyboy

I thought I would chime in with some random thoughts:

ownership - rumours of new ownership are news to me. I for one would welcome a change at the top but keep in mind that sometimes you are better with the devil you know. I'm a spits fan who suffered through the Riolo days and was ecstatic when Boughner and Rychel took over. Hopefully something similar could happen here at some point.
parking - this was mishandled in a big way and I'm still uncertain if this is going into the Sting pockets or the city's? Would it be the deciding factor of abandoning the team altogether? For me no, but I understand fan's frustration when you are constantly tacking on minor organizational miscues like this. Paying for parking in smaller communities is one of my bigger pet peeves (I'm from Wallaceburg and still can't wrap my head around why our local hospital has paid parking. Its rural, no gates and always near half empty)
on the ice - Originally I had the sting 7th but they are showing more promise than I had previously thought and truth be told I think 5th place could be had and regardless I do see them as a playoff team. Seems to be a well balanced team and I don't even mind their mix on the back end given it would be the weaker component. If JP Anderson goes down though all bets are off! Its critical that the front office doesnt buy into these projected standings. For the sake of ongoing organizational success they must sell their assets by the deadline. Kitchener, Plymouth and London are not likely to be beat by anyone in the west and our cupboard is mostly bare going forward following last years attempt to go for it

did not like the Hottot penalty at all, but still like him as an OA (I agreed with the trading of Aberga over him)....I expect big things from DeAngelo, he reminds me so much of Ryan Ellis at this stage....The rookies that are still with the team all look pretty good to me and with some veterans up front it looks like they should be eased into their roles without much pressure and even Nemecek, while timid looks like he could become something given some time and necessary adjustments....Dundas is one other player that I think may take quite a step forward this year, take on the energy role Hottot does plus become a player too

Old
09-10-2012, 07:14 PM
krauss72

I to am initially optimistic but we will need to sell so we don't once again repeat are mistakes. JPA better remain healthy or were in a **** load of trouble. Which brings me to a observation from the few periods JPA has played. Did he have his surgery and is the shoulder healed? Because his arm movement still doesn't look right to me. Am a big hottot fan but a captain leads by example. And son that was stupid again! He's already out for the first few regular season games due to stupid penalty back in Sagnasty in playoffs. I say Sarault wears the C on his sweater. Rumour was he wanted out during the summer but the brass refused. And if the rumour is true It might help to keep him in town.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Goal Mouth

Why are some questions on the observer site being deleted, When they are not a personal attack on beaulieu or on the way the team is being sold out. Read this fast it to will be deleted soon. As for the parking to stop the Dog and Pony show at the end of the night why not just add a buck to the ticket price, You know we are going to pay it anyway, They all ready have fans pissed off and looking for some ones head , so why put us through this each game .

Last edited by Goal Mouth: 09-10-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
Hey Folks,

We at the Observer are running our "Jacques Talk" column again this year where Beaulieu answers fan questions. And since a lot of what I'm getting thus far is pretty basic stuff
Anyways, check the details here; if your question is selected, you win a pair of tickets to a Sting game. You can email your questions to me at paul.owen@sunmedia.ca.

And of course, any questions throughout the year can be directed my way. I'll also be around to clarify coverage if needed.

Thanks,
Paul
paul,
i think us sting fans would have liked JB to address just the basic of the parking issue BEFORE it was announced with no explanations of the plan.I pay for premium parking so the 2.00 extra doesnt affect me but the long waits do.I asked at the box ofice after the aannouncements and no answer.some questions are where is the money going to,how is it going to be handled,after the game isnt the right choice either,takes too long so put more staff on and open ALL entrances to the parking lot,1 to the south at 4 entrances could be used to the north,maybe parking passes available to speed things up,and the so called deficit at the arena yet renovating the office and dressing room.also disappointing to hear the Observer is deleting comments on these issues as it seems the only way the sting management is allowing it's supporters to question the issues.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal Mouth View Post
Why are some questions on the observer site being deleted, When they are not a personal attack on beaulieu or on the way the team is being sold out.
Not sure what you're talking about, can you be more specific?

Old
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
paul,
i think us sting fans would have liked JB to address just the basic of the parking issue BEFORE it was announced with no explanations of the plan.I pay for premium parking so the 2.00 extra doesnt affect me but the long waits do.I asked at the box ofice after the aannouncements and no answer.some questions are where is the money going to,how is it going to be handled,after the game isnt the right choice either,takes too long so put more staff on and open ALL entrances to the parking lot,1 to the south at 4 entrances could be used to the north,maybe parking passes available to speed things up,and the so called deficit at the arena yet renovating the office and dressing room.also disappointing to hear the Observer is deleting comments on these issues as it seems the only way the sting management is allowing it's supporters to question the issues.
Massey, feel free to send in any of those questions, though I believe a lot of that decision making is coming above Jacques' head through the Ciccarelli Group, which manages the RBC.

As for deleting stuff, we only delete what can get us sued, or what is against editorial policy to publish. I can't speak to anything specific being deleted, but we usually have a reason for doing so, and that reason isn't that the Sting took offence to it.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
I thought I would chime in with some random thoughts:

ownership - rumours of new ownership are news to me. I for one would welcome a change at the top but keep in mind that sometimes you are better with the devil you know. I'm a spits fan who suffered through the Riolo days and was ecstatic when Boughner and Rychel took over. Hopefully something similar could happen here at some point.
parking - this was mishandled in a big way and I'm still uncertain if this is going into the Sting pockets or the city's? Would it be the deciding factor of abandoning the team altogether? For me no, but I understand fan's frustration when you are constantly tacking on minor organizational miscues like this. Paying for parking in smaller communities is one of my bigger pet peeves (I'm from Wallaceburg and still can't wrap my head around why our local hospital has paid parking. Its rural, no gates and always near half empty)
on the ice - Originally I had the sting 7th but they are showing more promise than I had previously thought and truth be told I think 5th place could be had and regardless I do see them as a playoff team. Seems to be a well balanced team and I don't even mind their mix on the back end given it would be the weaker component. If JP Anderson goes down though all bets are off! Its critical that the front office doesnt buy into these projected standings. For the sake of ongoing organizational success they must sell their assets by the deadline. Kitchener, Plymouth and London are not likely to be beat by anyone in the west and our cupboard is mostly bare going forward following last years attempt to go for it

did not like the Hottot penalty at all, but still like him as an OA (I agreed with the trading of Aberga over him)....I expect big things from DeAngelo, he reminds me so much of Ryan Ellis at this stage....The rookies that are still with the team all look pretty good to me and with some veterans up front it looks like they should be eased into their roles without much pressure and even Nemecek, while timid looks like he could become something given some time and necessary adjustments....Dundas is one other player that I think may take quite a step forward this year, take on the energy role Hottot does plus become a player too
Good post - I can't see this team finishing as high as 5th. Having said that I would think you would have them ahead of Erie, Soo, Windsor, ?Saginaw, ?Guelph, or OS?. Can't see it.

London, Plymouth, Kitchener, OS, Saginaw and Guelph are all better teams IMO this year. One might discound Saginaw with the scoring they lost, but I believe they have more than enough coming back and are very well coached. I love the Guelph team, their coach and style of play. Very hard working team, got older over last year, they will be a very tough team to beat. OS will be better this year also, has a good core of players that went to the Mem cup.

That leaves Soo, Erie and Windsor - Can't count out Windsor, very well coached, always a tough team to beat in their building. Soo and Erie will have considerable younger talent, time will tell. Always, injuries and big trade aside, as it stands now, I believe these are the teams that will fight for the last two playoff spots.

Couldn't agree with you more on D'Angelo - very much looking forward to watching him this year. What a beautiful skater. Worth the price of admission, not parking though.

Closed Thread