HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny

Old
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Inverted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
kessel + bozak + 2nd

for

Stastny + Downie
Leafs actually need Stastny to play with Kessel

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
PeterForsberg

Quote:
kessel + bozak + 2nd

for

Stastny + Downie
100% yes.

PeterForsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Leafs actually need Stastny to play with Kessel
But we need kessel to play with bozak.

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Wow, you've really become jaded, haven't you.
I wouldn't call it jaded persay, it's more like I've seen this particular thread occur so many times I feel like I'm one of many popular science fiction characters which has been thrust back and forth in time often enough to know how specific events unfold.

This thread will ultimately result in the squabbling between Avs fans and one or more fanbases where we state repeatedly that the Avs have no desire to move our most experienced, most productive, best playmaking center that happens to be our most tenured player after Hejduk (seriously: Jones & McLeod are next in line after him) for anything short of our #1 desire, a top pairing defender that can theoretically mesh with EJ.

I've even created a topic just for this moment on our forum. One which has been linked to more times than I count in an honest attempt to voice our opinion as a fan base on Paul.

There is no incentive to move him because few fans on HFBoards are willing to negotiate on Stastny being a 70 point center as opposed to his actual totals the past two seasons.

I'm only interested in taking people seriously at this point whom take the time to do the research and are capable of appreciating our needs as well. Of which there has been some in the past, Phaneuf + 2nd was an offer we liked (minus the fact Phaneuf's ability to mesh with EJ is a concern some have, particularly me), Enstrom prior to his contract was interesting. We've dabbled in Kulikov talks, most of the time being required to upgrade to Duchene though.

I guess I am jaded.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Puckgenius*

Avs would most likely want a top 6 prospect and a top 4 NHL ready dman.

Something along the lines of Saad + Hjammerson

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Inverted

Quote:
how about we switch Kessel with JVR to play with Bozak?

besides

Kessel > Stastny

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:51 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
how about we switch Kessel with JVR to play with Bozak?

besides

Kessel > Stastny
Bozak > Stastny > Kessel

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:01 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
There have been numerous Stastny to Toronto proposals, almost all which are underpayment and involve Bozak.
Alright, my bad! Thanks. As I said in the OP I was rushing. I don't think I under-valued him too badly... he is technically on the decline. I have no idea of his two-way ability though. I wanted more to discuss it. Maybe I'll find some old topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Why are you doing a Stastny to Toronto thread if you're a Habs fan?
I watch alot of the North East division. Just have a general interest in those teams because I know their systems. Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa (where I live) especially.

I'm slowly grasping the mood here... everyone seems either elitist or terribly cynical.

imisssaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:09 PM
PeterForsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Avs would most likely want a top 6 prospect and a top 4 NHL ready dman.

Something along the lines of Saad + Hjammerson
More like Bolland + Saad + 2nd

PeterForsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Ceremony
Woke up this morning

vCash: 65000
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssaku View Post
Alright, my bad! Thanks. As I said in the OP I was rushing. I don't think I under-valued him too badly... he is technically on the decline. I have no idea of his two-way ability though. I wanted more to discuss it. Maybe I'll find some old topics.

I watch alot of the North East division. Just have a general interest in those teams because I know their systems. Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa (where I live) especially.

I'm slowly grasping the mood here... everyone seems either elitist or terribly cynical.
I was just curious.

But the notion of Stastny going to Toronto has been mentioned a lot over the past few months with increasingly ridiculous sides to the proposals... either the offereings from Leafs fans being paltry or the denials from Avs fans becoming increasingly exasperated versions of "no."

My own opinion is that if we trade him to Toronto the only thing I'd want back would be Phaneuf, which wouldn't happen.

09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:

The problem really isn't that you undervalued Stastny.

It's that you completely ignored the needs of the Avalanche in making your proposal. Don't bother offering this up if you aren't going to do a little research into what the other team needs, instead of trying to trade us 9 dimes for a dollar.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
The problem really isn't that you undervalued Stastny.

It's that you completely ignored the needs of the Avalanche in making your proposal. Don't bother offering this up if you aren't going to do a little research into what the other team needs, instead of trying to trade us 9 dimes for a dollar.
(I assumed) They have a glut of talented centers and needed offense on the back end and some serious additions to their prospect pool. Is that really all that far off?

Old
09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
(I assumed) They have a glut of talented centers and needed offense on the back end and some serious additions to their prospect pool. Is that really all that far off?
Well, yes.

We need a top pairing Lefty D-man who is very solid defensively and an elite scoring winger.

We don't need prospects or late draft picks or secondary scoring.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:46 PM
DesertDawg

If TML wants to trade for Stasny, it probably have to start with Dion Phaneuf and go from there.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Ceremony
Woke up this morning

vCash: 65000
And there is no "glut" at centre. Having three good centres is not a problem that should be solved by getting rid of the most proven one, nor is relying on O'Reilly whose best point total is at the same level of Stastny and DUchene's lowest.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Well, yes.

We need a top pairing Lefty D-man who is very solid defensively and an elite scoring winger.

The problem is Stastny is paid like a 1C and he's not a 1C on most teams in the league. So, in return I think you'll get the same back, a solid second pairing lefty good enough to possibly step up into a 1st pairing role. You're trying to get a proven 1st pairing Dman for a 2C, not going to happen. The best thing to do is scout the teams with the best depth at D and see if they'll trade their #3.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:54 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Quote:
Well, yes.

Considering the Avalanches last few seasons, current roster, and prospect pool... I'd say adding some talent in there to develop isn't a bad idea.

There aren't many teams who don't need a top pairing defender, or an elite scoring winger. And considering the player in question I have no idea how you could consider these starting points.

I mentioned earlier that the Avs aren't actively looking to trade Stastny, because yeah having depth up the middle is almost a necessity for a contender nowadays... but the Avs are worlds away from a contender. Their best players are incredibly young and I think they should still be in a rebuild mentality at this point.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:55 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

as an outside observer: would the avs be interested in a Phaneuf for statsny swap?

Edit: lol, it's already been suggested. Well, that was my first intuition regarding value. Leafs fans still interested?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Leafs management is pretty high on Phaneuf, I doubt they'd trade him away. Especially considering Burkes build-from-the-net-out mentality.

Old
09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
SSoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
The problem is Stastny is paid like a 1C and he's not a 1C on most teams in the league. So, in return I think you'll get the same back, a solid second pairing lefty good enough to possibly step up into a 1st pairing role. You're trying to get a proven 1st pairing Dman for a 2C, not going to happen. The best thing to do is scout the teams with the best depth at D and see if they'll trade their #3.
Stastny isn't a # 1 on most teams?

BOS: 1C (Kreijci is arguable)
BUF
CAL
CLB
DAL: 1C (Benn is arguable)
FLO
EDM: 1C (RNH in a couple of years)
MIN
MTL
NJ
NAS
PHX
STL
TOR
WPG

Leaf fans try to justify to themselves he isn't a 1C so they only have to give up Bozak + Komisarek + 3rd to get him, and they're only fooling themselves.

SSoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:12 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Leafs management is pretty high on Phaneuf, I doubt they'd trade him away. Especially considering Burkes build-from-the-net-out mentality.
didn't think so, I guess we can conclude that the Leafs aren't willing to pay what it would cost!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
#Stamkos2016

vCash: 262
Quote:
Are you crazy? The Bozak can play with anyone, he'd probably score 75pts sitting in the press box.

81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:33 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoH View Post
Stastny isn't a # 1 on most teams?

BOS: 1C (Kreijci is arguable) Don't forget Seguin's potential
BUF Edit
CAL Edit
CLB Quit picking on Columbus
DAL: 1C (Benn is arguable)
FLO Agreed
EDM: 1C (RNH in a couple of years)
MIN Koivu would stick at the #1
MTL Desharnais is very underrated, then Pleks, and lots of C's up and coming
NJ Elias was Beasting last year. Henrique is only 22.
NAS Maybe, but it's a D-first system regardless
PHX Yep, but also, they worry more about team D than elite scoring
STL Agreed.
TOR Yep
WPG Yep

Leaf fans try to justify to themselves he isn't a 1C so they only have to give up Bozak + Komisarek + 3rd to get him, and they're only fooling themselves.
So, I'd say the teams most desperate for him at 1C are Columbus, Florida, Toronto and Winnipeg. Yet, the teams I think would give up a legitimate POTENTIAL 1st pairing Dman are not those four teams.

Last edited by deytookerjaabs: 09-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.
deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:41 PM
TieClark

Roy is on Dallas, Staal is on Carolina, Desharnais is no where near a #1 C and Plekanec is no more a #1 C than Grabovski is for the Leafs, Elias is a winger, D first system doesn't mean anything... they still need forwards and good ones

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I just don't see any deal at all working between the Leafs and the Avs concerning any of our centres except for John Mitchell. If you wanted to trade Bozak and a 2nd for him I think we'd finally have a deal

The Leafs do not have the assets in the right position to pay for Stastny. Their defensive depth is not a strength in this time of trade. Nor does the Avalanche need anymore picks.

You can say all you want about how Stastny is on a decline. We don't care because that just gives us more reason to keep and hope he turns it around then trade him at lowest value. Besides what everyone except for Avs fans are forgetting is that we just resigned two players we found chemistry with in Jones and McGinn.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote