HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

What CHL is the best? OHL, QMJHL, or WHL?

Old
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
What CHL is the best? OHL, QMJHL, or WHL?

I'm from the USA and I would LOVE to watch some free stream or old games online if anyone can give me links.

But I want to ask, what is the best Junior Hockey League in Canada and WHY?

Whenever I get a chance I really like watching the WHL with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

I will not pick out one superior league out of the 3, but I believe the OHL is the deepest league talent-wise, WHL does well with slightly more defensive gritty hockey and the QMJHL is the most offence-oriented though they have less depth of talent than the other two leagues, in my opinion.

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
LeafsFIO

Hard to say between the WHL and OHL but I'd give the edge to OHL. Developed so many top picks over the years and their play is more similiar to NHL hockey than any other Junior league in the world. The dub is fairly high-skill, lots of big bodies, really physical league. Talent-wise, Quebec is the worst by a landslide, but it's by far the most exciting. Almost every rink is rich with history and atmosphere, games are uncivilized on and off the ice usually. If you want fast-paced hockey with sheer insanity mixed in, the LNAH is your best bet. That being said, The QMJHL will still do in a pinch.

LeafsFIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Nuck This

I'll say OHL has more top end talent and they seem to be the choice of many european and U.S junior players but the WHL plays a harder and tougher brand of hockey. I'd say for forwards OHL and defenseman WHL.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
ORYX

Each league is different then the other in certain distinctive ways.

WHL - More of a defensive minded game that is very physical. They possess the offensive talent as other two, but due to the game structure, it isnt seen as often.

QMJHL - Pure offense and speed. There are many undersized players in this league who excell, but not at the professional level due to size. Traditionally, great skaters.

OHL - The most high end talent out of the three leagues, and more of a balance. The OHL has both defensive minded structure and offensive.

I am biased towards the OHL because its what I watch regularly, so i enjoy it most. I expect those from the east say the same of QMJHL and west of WHL.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Hockeycan

Hi, how then if you add and compare USHL with OHL, WHL & QMJHL. How would you describe/compare this US league with the Canadien leagues ?

Hockeycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycan View Post
Hi, how then if you add and compare USHL with OHL, WHL & QMJHL. How would you describe/compare this US league with the Canadien leagues ?
College football analogy would be Division I to Division II. The CHL is the major pool of talent for the big league, but occasionally a guy from the lower league makes his way through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_by_NHL_teams

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Alpine

Pick your poison
The Q is said to be offensive but then Letang, Yandle and A MacDonald came outta the league and a host of defensive forwards.
It's cyclical.
But with McKinnon alone...Gormley maybe back because of the lock-out.......what's that guys name in SJ that starts with H and ends in deau
I may because of my bias say don't marginalize the Q

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Pick your poison
The Q is said to be offensive but then Letang, Yandle and A MacDonald came outta the league and a host of defensive forwards.
It's cyclical.
But with McKinnon alone...Gormley maybe back because of the lock-out.......what's that guys name in SJ that starts with H and ends in deau
I may because of my bias say don't marginalize the Q
I think the old WHL / QMJHL stereotypes are falling. One team in the Q in the last 5 years has produced the likes of Yandle, MacDonald, Savard, Barbeirio, Gormley. Add in Letang and Couturier who is an excellent 2 way forward, the QMJHL isn't what it used to be.

WHL is the same way, RNH, Lazar, Reinhart are very elite forwards who will be top line talent in the future.

I think all 3 leagues are fairly even. OHL has more depth, and the QMJHL has less depth.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I think the old WHL / QMJHL stereotypes are falling. One team in the Q in the last 5 years has produced the likes of Yandle, MacDonald, Savard, Barbeirio, Gormley. Add in Letang and Couturier who is an excellent 2 way forward, the QMJHL isn't what it used to be.

WHL is the same way, RNH, Lazar, Reinhart are very elite forwards who will be top line talent in the future.

I think all 3 leagues are fairly even. OHL has more depth, and the QMJHL has less depth.
Agreed on all your points, however population density would have a lot to do with the depth for the OHL.

In the Memorial Cup finals since 2000: 10 Q teams, 8 WHL teams and 8 OHL teams. Of those teams, the Q has won 4, the OHL has won 4 and the WHL has won 5.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
The #1 and #2 in terms of graduates to the NHL, are both in the O.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
College football analogy would be Division I to Division II. The CHL is the major pool of talent for the big league, but occasionally a guy from the lower league makes his way through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_by_NHL_teams
Keep in mind that when a player from the USHL gets drafted, they're either on their way to the NCAA or possibly the CHL, as was the case for Miller, Murphy and Biggs this season. Since 2010, about half of the draft picks are also out of the US NTDP (U-18).

I'd put the USHL below all three CHL leagues, but using the college football analogy, it's more FBS to FCS. A more fair comparison would be the USHL vs. the CJHL (Jr. A). A series between the Royal Bank Cup and Clark Cup champions would be cool.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:06 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

The Q is the most entertaining.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I'll say OHL has more top end talent and they seem to be the choice of many european and U.S junior players but the WHL plays a harder and tougher brand of hockey. I'd say for forwards OHL and defenseman WHL.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe each of the three leagues has the right to select players from certain states, i.e. the Q selects from the New England region, the O selects from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, etc, and the dub selects from the west (California, Texas).

Also, Europeans enter the CHL via the import draft, so in theory, the leagues should all be relatively balanced in terms of american and european talent.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote