Notices

Montoya’s New Winnipeg Jets Mask

Old
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
EpicGingy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
Can I just be a jerk for a second here and ask "Why the hell would you base your mask on a WWII piston-engine aircraft when we are the Jets?"

That's kind of like being on the Tigers and putting a Lion on your mask.
The post above you states there are jets with similar art styles.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Steenager

vCash: 500
That's true, but there are exhaust pipes on the mask and the illustration on the back is clearly prop-driven.

I get what the artist was going for, but I'd rather see a jet on there.

Steenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:27 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
They play some sweet sounds as well...
When I was posted in Cold Lake, AB air force base, once a year the Americans would bring the warthogs up for the Maple Flag Ex. They are slow, lound and ugly. Also known a Tank Killers.

Steenager - I think the face thing on the fighter plane/jet is just a traditional thing not meant specifically to honor a particular plane. It's a fun mask, get over it.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I noticed most American goalies have the American flag somewhere on their masks and most Canadian goalies don't have the Canadian flag....
I wonder why.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

I dunno. I find it a bit plane.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:58 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I noticed most American goalies have the American flag somewhere on their masks and most Canadian goalies don't have the Canadian flag....
I wonder why.
Because national pride and patriotism are practically an indoctrination in the US. We don't take ourselves nearly seriously enough to actively participate in patriotism to the level of the US, unless it's the World Juniors or the Winter Olympics.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:44 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Because national pride and patriotism are practically an indoctrination in the US. We don't take ourselves nearly seriously enough to actively participate in patriotism to the level of the US, unless it's the World Juniors or the Winter Olympics.
This coming from the country that adds maple leaves to just about everything they can, even the friggin McDonald's logo.

Friendly jabs aside, not a bad-looking mask despite the decidedly non-jet motif. I like it.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSotC View Post
This coming from the country that adds maple leaves to just about everything they can, even the friggin McDonald's logo.
That's usually done by foreign companies to present themselves as Canadian based. That is to say, McDonald's Canada as a separate entity from McDonald's USA. Incorporated under Canadian law as such. Most companies differentiate themselves somewhat when in different countries.

There is also the case of a lot of Canadian cities being close to American cities, and having the little maple leaf logo in the commercial helps most people know if a promotion is in Canada or in the USA.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:47 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Canucks fan coming in unbridled hate pending a new CBA and divisional realignment.

I kid.

That is a REALLY nice mask!!!! Mason set the bar, but Montoya has taken it to a new level. As others have mentioned, a pad set to go with it would be awesome!

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

That is a sick mask.

Montoya seems like a cool dude. Hopefully he gets his career on track and can re-sign with the team next year.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
trigger204

dope mask.. i find it kinda weird that the Maple leaf is so prominent on the front even though he is American. Not complaining but the actual Jets logo maybe would make more sense. He's also got the US flag on the back.

trigger204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
That's usually done by foreign companies to present themselves as Canadian based. That is to say, McDonald's Canada as a separate entity from McDonald's USA. Incorporated under Canadian law as such. Most companies differentiate themselves somewhat when in different countries.

There is also the case of a lot of Canadian cities being close to American cities, and having the little maple leaf logo in the commercial helps most people know if a promotion is in Canada or in the USA.
I know this is part of the explanation, but whenever I visit Canada I'm astounded by the number of Canadian flags I see (granted, my last trip was to Vancouver in the summer of 2010 so there were even more than normal). I don't know if I just notice them more because I'm used to seeing American flags around me and don't notice those anymore, but I definitely feel surrounded by Maple Leaves up there! It's cool though. As much as anyone should be proud of the accident of where they were born, you guys should be! There is plenty for you to be patriotic about, including how I still feel very welcomed when surrounded by Canadian flags!

As for prop planes on the mask, who cares? The Jets definitely have a Royal Canadian Air Force theme going (even though your forces are integrated now) so I think the mask is great! I'd love to see an American goalie with the old RCAF logo on the front and this old USAF roundel on the back (much smaller and respectfully, of course).

Last edited by videofarmer: 09-10-2012 at 09:38 AM.
videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:58 PM
CDNRGRFANHUH

looks like Haywards mask from the sharks in 93

CDNRGRFANHUH is offline   Reply With Quote