HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brayden Schenn to the Oilers?

Old
09-08-2012, 05:26 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Schenn? the 20 point man himself eh

I think it would be PRV + decent d prospect + 2nd rounder

Lets no overrate here and say schenn has anywhere near the value yakupov has

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseonewillis View Post
as far as who's better or will be better between RNH and Couturier, I think that's hard to say because they are such different types of players.

RNH is incredible, and I honestly think he'll be bigger for the oilers than hall, eberle, or yakupov. the kid is so fun to watch.

It really isnt. RNH is the better player.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
spOiler

Here for all the people complaining about the gretz nuge comparison skip the boring article and go to the bottom it lists all the times media and scouts made the comparison... http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ugent-hopkins/

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Here for all the people complaining about the gretz nuge comparison skip the boring article and go to the bottom it lists all the times media and scouts made the comparison... http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ugent-hopkins/
RNH also had a crap team to play for in Red Deer. Dumba was young.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRust View Post
Doesn't matter how recent it was. The fact of the matter is that it does, and has, happened. Being picked 1st overall doesn't guarentee anything - there might be more potential, and higher expectations, but those aren't guarentees. I'm not suggesting that Yakupov is going to be a bust, mind you... just that it could happen.
And there's a chance that I could get hit by an asteroid. Just because there's a chance, doesn't mean the odds are in favour of that happening.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Jamin

Quote:
I wonder how many people were saying that Stefan and Daigle were going to be ppg players...

Just because Yakupov was drafted 1st overall doesn't mean anything. Kid hasn't even laced his skates for an NHL game. Nothing's been proven.
Does the list need to be posted like it was pre draft lottery. OMG 2 busts in 15 years of first overall picks. That definately proves he will bust as opposed to the 90% that didnt

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Does the list need to be posted like it was pre draft lottery. OMG 2 busts in 15 years of first overall picks. That definately proves he will bust as opposed to the 90% that didnt
Since it's been a while for a 1/1 to be a bust the odds favor 1 of those happening. The previous Oiler 1st overalls aren't busts so Nail (or the 1/1 they take in 2013) has a good chance of being the next flop.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
Since it's been a while for a 1/1 to be a bust the odds favor 1 of those happening. The previous Oiler 1st overalls aren't busts so Nail (or the 1/1 they take in 2013) has a good chance of being the next flop.
If I flip a coin and gets tails 1000 times in a row, it's still 50/50 on the next flip. That's just how that **** works.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
I wonder how many people were saying that Stefan and Daigle were going to be ppg players...

Just because Yakupov was drafted 1st overall doesn't mean anything. Kid hasn't even laced his skates for an NHL game. Nothing's been proven.
If you are going to look to history to make your point then at least learn from the example you are using. Why did these two become busts? Was it because people misjudged their talent? No. In Daigle's case he had no real interest in making the sacrifices it takes to be a pro hockey player.

In Stefan's case, it was a combination of a series of significant injuries one after the other and never really being able to adjust to the pressures of having to be the go-to guy on a very weak team.

Of course it is possible that injuries derail Yakupov, as it is with any NHL'er. But mentally he is so far removed from Daigle and Stefan that the chance he follows their paths is very remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
I am going to assume that this was not a serious argument. If it was you do need to read post #208.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:56 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

To Phiiladelphia, he absolutely does.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:59 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
RNH will be the closest thing to Gretzky fans will get to experience and you're telling me people think Couturier is better? Based on what? Scoring against Malkin who isn't supposed to play defense?
RNH and Gretzky and close should not be in the same sentence. Do you realize how GOOD Gretzky was?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

What's the difference in value, in your mind? To create a fair-trade for both sides--none of this "___ would have to overpay, etc., since both sides could claim that. Just to get a balanced deal, what do you think would have to be added to Schenn to get to Yakupov?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Gagner + Yakupov

for

Couturier + Schenn
It's not bad, but Id rather have Couturier than all 4 players.
Flyers say No.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:40 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

if you want to figure out "fair value" for players in a trade, just look at some of the recent big trades. what did Columbus get for Rick Nash and Jeff Carter? what did Philly get for Carter and Mike Richards? and what did Pittsburgh get for Jordan Staal? i guess one could use these trades as examples of what fair value is these days.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
RNH and Gretzky and close should not be in the same sentence. Do you realize how GOOD Gretzky was?
No one really thinks that RNH is close to Gretzky. But it is a fact that there are aspects of his game that remind those of us who watched Gretzky of a young #99. This kid has the potential to be very special. At this point, I would say that of the big 4 he is definitely the one that I have the highest hopes for.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
if you want to figure out "fair value" for players in a trade, just look at some of the recent big trades. what did Columbus get for Rick Nash and Jeff Carter? what did Philly get for Carter and Mike Richards? and what did Pittsburgh get for Jordan Staal? i guess one could use these trades as examples of what fair value is these days.
...neither Schenn nor Yakupov are on par, in terms of what they've proven, to any of the players you've mentioned.

I think those are decent frameworks for discussing Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle, but this is something of a different kind, isn't it?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:13 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
For the millionth time, he's not suggesting that RNH is going to be as good as Gretzky. It's play-style.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:35 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Flyers say No.
still not sold on the Yakupov hype? understandable. I also thought Couturier should have gone 2nd in his draft.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think it's going to be a lot closer than you think. You will see two players brought along in two extremely different ways. One will receive a ton of power play time and even strength time, while Couts is being eased along. Couts has all the potential to become a #1 center in this league, he really just hasn't had the opportunity to display it on a stacked offensive team. He will play 13-15 minutes probably this year, unlike RNH who will get 17-18. Wait 2 or 3 years, they both will be putting up the same numbers most likely, while both playing pretty damn good defense.
There was some discussion that the Oilers werent debating Larsson and Landeskog as much as they were debating Couts. RNH never slipped off the mantle though and when the players -hall and ebs - were asked for their input they raved about the guy who never played at the WJHC.
Personally i was stunned at just how good this kid is. He is definitely makin me eat crow. Happy to have him. On both sides of the puck he is tenacious and a fn water bug thats in the right place. 2 weeks into the year there was no secret who teams were going to put their best d pairings on 5 on 5. Whoever played on RNH's line saw the best shutdown dmen. That wont change.
That all being said it is well known the oilers were hoping to move up their penner pick for a shot at Couts. Klefbom didnt end up being a bad pick and i guess we took yaks over murray because of it (according to THN 7 out of 10 NHL scouts at the draft said Klefbom was better prospect than Murray). AND, according to the edmonton journal the Oilers had an internal discussion on that very topic the night before the draft and again the majority favored Klefbom. It goes to show the Oilers were leaning very much to Murray and may have already made up their minds but for the first time in 3 top picks the Oilers were having a serious debate. The other 2 picks the Oilers say they new well in advance who was the front runenr, even if in the media it seemed less obvious than this past draft. I dont knw when things but most people in the business think the writing was on the wall that the oilers felt murray would be an oiler right up to draft day.
I liked Couts myself and have no idea why the Flyers would ever dream of giving him up but we have a different mould guy in RNH. RNH played apparently at 175 last year but everyone admits he was more around 165 at the beginning of the year and less at the end. He will fill out at some point but he had to use his brains and vision all year.
Schenn, on the other hand, i dont really see as a franchise type player and personally i dont want him on the Oilers. People can have their opinions and mine is he is a more physical Gagner with concussion issues because he isnt built to play physically at this level yet. He could get 2 more concussions and be gone in a short period of time.

Last edited by oilinblood: 09-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:11 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
still not sold on the Yakupov hype? understandable. I also thought Couturier should have gone 2nd in his draft.
Alot of times people want to keep their own.
I live by that belief that unless people fail you stick with what you have. Even if people fail, sometimes you believe in them enough to give them a second try. This is more with young players were you are developing them.
That being said Couts hasnt faced the top shut down d, shift in shift out. I wanted Couts but RNH blew my mind last year playing against shut down players. I ranted forever how RNH was a pipsqueek. Then we drafted him and you hear what hall and eberle had been saying to the scouts about RNH, you hear his statements and how the guy has such integrity, and you just put trust into the scouts even if you might not believe.
I think most people in edmonton felt he would have to pack on AT LEAST 20 lbs to do anything in the NHL.

I am a firm believer that you pick your player and stand by them. if you dont your word is worth S***.

oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Flyers say No.
refreshing to see a response without having to slag the opposing teams players.
Couturier has impressed so far, and I can definitely see why the Flyers would turn this down.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:38 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...neither Schenn nor Yakupov are on par, in terms of what they've proven, to any of the players you've mentioned.

I think those are decent frameworks for discussing Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle, but this is something of a different kind, isn't it?
they may not be on par as far as accomplishments go, but both are very highly touted and would bring a big return presumably. would either player bring what the fans would expect though? probably not.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:39 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Gretzky came in after expansion and before the influx of European talent. That's how he has all the records.

Build a time machine, and any of Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, etc would match Gretzky if you sent them to 1978.

Last edited by DAChampion: 09-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Gretzky came in after expansion and before the influx of European talent. That's how he has all the records.

Build a time machine, and any of Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, etc would match Gretzky if you sent them to 1978.
Did you ever watch hockey back then, and the year was 1979.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Did you ever watch hockey back then, and the year was 1979.
Remember, Gretzky did play a season in the WHA in 1978-79.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote