HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL - Brian Burke fired

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
HockeyNightInCanada ‏@hockeynight
Boston #Bruins have signed F Brad Marchand to a 4-year, $18 M contract extension through the 2016-17 season. #HNIC #NHL #CBCSports

Old
09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
HockeyNightInCanada ‏@hockeynight
Boston #Bruins have signed F Brad Marchand to a 4-year, $18 M contract extension through the 2016-17 season. #HNIC #NHL #CBCSports
4.5 and a possible reduction (contingent on the CBA) for a back to back 20+ goal scoring wing that has succeeded and thrived in that system. I think it's priced about right while he finishes out the bargain basement deal he signed last year. He'll be 29 at the end of the contract which is very nicely done by Chiarelli. Not sure how much trust they would have in him after that. I'm not often a fan of large extensions to RFAs so early but I think this was a good one for the Bruins.

On another note, when are the players and league meeting again? I didn't catch any of the interviews after todays sessions.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Likely the day before/of the lockout. So pissed I'm going to be missing hockey due to posturing from the owners and players.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Business as usual for the NHLPA, Donald Fehr, Bettman, and the owners. Heh, the NHL as a collective whole, really. Locked out 3 times in the last 3 opportunities.

Not a rat's ass about the fans who generate 100% of the revenue.

But that's the unfortunate - and infuriating - reality of this business.

Old
09-08-2012, 07:01 AM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Business as usual for the NHLPA, Donald Fehr, Bettman, and the owners. Heh, the NHL as a collective whole, really. Locked out 3 times in the last 3 opportunities.

Not a rat's ass about the fans who generate 100% of the revenue.

But that's the unfortunate - and infuriating - reality of this business.
Seriously, greedy greedy people. God, I make 60k while Crosby makes 8m. With rollbacks from decrease in HRR he'll probably make 7m, the world is ******* ending. And on top of that, lock out or not, Bettman still gets his salary, so what is the pissing and moaning for. There are starving people in Africa!

Old
09-09-2012, 12:27 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

our good friend raffi has, in a milquetoast manner (and that's being kind), suggested he wants to better his style of play.

Quote:
I've gone back and watched a lot of video of the way I need to play," Torres said. "At the end of the day, the hit was a little late and it was a little high. Ultimately, I'll have to deal with the consequences, and if it's eight games, it's eight games.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...yle/57685994/1

i dunno...but a "little late" and a "little high" makes me think that we'll see further "repeat performances" from our favourite "repeat offender"

Old
09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Likely the day before/of the lockout. So pissed I'm going to be missing hockey due to posturing from the owners and players.
Same here. We fans are at the mercy of Bettmans, Fehrs and Bill Wirtzs and there is very little we can do about it.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Yeah, it'll definitely suck if any NHL games are lost, but truth be told I'm going to take full advantage of any such lockout to attend AHL, USHL, ACHA, and maybe even a roadie to NCAA games to get my hockey fix.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
And that's like a crack head trying to get his fix by drinking a 6 pack. Yes, it's a narcotic that takes the edge off. No, it's not even remotely the same.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
And that's like a crack head trying to get his fix by drinking a 6 pack. Yes, it's a narcotic that takes the edge off. No, it's not even remotely the same.
True, but it's better than nothing.

Plus, live hockey > televised hockey.... though it'll be replacing a lot for a little in terms of quantity.

Old
09-09-2012, 01:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

This is a recent picture of Byfuglien...from over the summer:

i can't believe the weight he's packed on...i don't know how you play like that.

Just two years ago he was about 1/2 the size:

Old
09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Ugh... I knew he became fat but hell, that's really too much

Old
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
This is a recent picture of Byfuglien...from over the summer:

i can't believe the weight he's packed on...i don't know how you play like that.

Just two years ago he was about 1/2 the size:

Honestly I think he needed Q and others in Hawks organization to keep him in line when it comes to conditioning/weight. He clearly has no control overhimself

Old
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
Seriously, greedy greedy people. God, I make 60k while Crosby makes 8m. With rollbacks from decrease in HRR he'll probably make 7m, the world is ******* ending. And on top of that, lock out or not, Bettman still gets his salary, so what is the pissing and moaning for. There are starving people in Africa!
While I understand how you feel, what you or I make has zero bearing on anything. Everything is relative. It's about principles. These guys are no different than any other unionized workforce in that they aren't going to just cave in to whatever the opposition wants to impose on them. It sets a bad precedent. Just because their money is in millions and everyone else's money is in thousands doesn't mean they should just be willing to cave in to ownership's and league demands at the outset. You have to put up at least some kind of fight and then negotiate.

I'll be as pissed as anyone with another lockout, but the whole "I only make this much, they should be happy with what they have" is completely irrelevant with regard to professional sports labor situations. It's two different worlds.

Old
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Sevanston

The news that the Habs (and I think the Flames and Oilers as well) can't lock out without being in violation of provincial laws has got to be great news for the NHLPA.

Ownership won't want to pay players while locking them out at the same time, so in the most optimistic sense, that's three more owners the players just got in their pockets.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
The news that the Habs (and I think the Flames and Oilers as well) can't lock out without being in violation of provincial laws has got to be great news for the NHLPA.

Ownership won't want to pay players while locking them out at the same time, so in the most optimistic sense, that's three more owners the players just got in their pockets.
It's more complicated than that...the teams in Alta can lock out...but the province requires them to meet certain requirements before they do (relating to the appointment of a mediator) - the NHLPA was saying they haven't fulfilled the requirements (the NHL says they have) - even if NHLPA is correct it would simply delay the lockout...not prevent it altogether.

Re: Habs - that's a more interesting (and hilarious) scenario - NHLPA is saying (and i'm being simplistic) that the Habs can't lock out the players b/c the union was never certified (that might not be the right technical term) by the province.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just put them in a room, it's easy

Old
09-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quick question for you guys, and sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask...

Have your STH's received any information about what happens in case of a lockout? Bruins fans got ours today and I'm trying to gauge if we're getting screwed or not in comparison to other teams that I consider to be similar marketwise.

Thanks!

Old
09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
I haven't gotten anything yet but from reading around here, I have no doubt the Hawks treat their STH's among the worst in the league so I've assumed the money will roll over into next year. What did you guys get?

Old
09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I haven't gotten anything yet but from reading around here, I have no doubt the Hawks treat their STH's among the worst in the league so I've assumed the money will roll over into next year. What did you guys get?
Our options are:

Quote:

Option #1: Loyalty Program

You may elect to earn a 3% APR credit on the ticket money for games missed. In electing this option all ticket money and credit from games missed must stay on account. By choosing this option you will be committing to renew your season tickets for the 2013-14 season and you will lock in a price freeze on your season tickets for the 2013-14 season.

Option #2: Monthly Refund

You may elect to earn a 1% APR credit on the ticket money for games missed and receive monthly refunds on the ticket money for games missed. Your 1% APR credit from games missed will stay on account.

Oh, and we still need to make our monthly payments...from the FAQ (http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...9b986178efbdcd)[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Do I have to continue making payments?
Yes, you must continue making your season ticket payments. In order to receive the credit, your account must be in good standing and current with all payment plans. Should you not be in good standing or your account not current with payment you will forfeit your ability to receive the credit. Once your account returns to good standing you will begin receiving the credit. Should your account become delinquent in payment at any point during the time when you are receiving credit you will stop receiving credit until your account becomes current.
They announced the Seguin extension less than one hour after this email went out. Well played, Bruins. Well played indeed.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
coldsteelonice84

A. Reads to me like if your don't make payments, you're fine, you just don't get interest. Did I miss something?

B. Option one looks attractive to me. You lock in the same price for the following season and get 3% APR.

Without knowing yet, I am 99% sure what you have outlined will be an absolute BEST case scenario for us.

That said, compared to other teams, it may very well be below average but we're talking about a Wirtz owned team right here. If it was Bill, he would keep the money and give no refund (something I am still a little bit concerned about).

Old
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I believe during the NBA lockout, Celtics STH payments were not deducted from bank accounts while there was no basketball being played. The thought of basically giving the B's a loan, while collecting below average interest on that loan, isn't super attractive. Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out what I think about the options. It's hard to judge in a vaccuum...but it looks like Bruins STHs are one of the first fan bases to be communicated with, so I guess that's something.

I think they have to give a refund for games not played. That's the bare minimum required.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:35 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, I assume we will get refunded...it's just that name, Wirtz. We'll see what we get. I'll post when I find out. I payed in full already so I'm not in the boat of the payments but yeah, I know what you're saying about the interest. You could throw the whole thing in a CD and do a lot better.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

You sound like us pre-Cup with Jacobs.

Well, good luck, and here's to a quick resolution to the lockout!

Old
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
coldsteelonice84

I want nothing more than to report my doubts were completely wrong, they're giving all of the money back until a deal is signed, locking prices for next year too and taking us all on a booze cruise but I'm not holding my breath.

Closed Thread