HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marchand Extends with Boston [4 years, $4,500,000/year]

Old
09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
IMO, fair deal based on that market these days, there was no chance he was going to take less than 4 million, so 4.5 seems about right.

I do find it amusing though thinking back on some Bruins fans saying Chiarelli was such an amazing GM that he would be able to get a guy like Seguin to take less money on a bridge-type deal of 2-3 years.

There's zero chance he takes less than 5.5 million and 5 years IMO, since it would be stupid for the Bruins to sign him to a 4 year deal and buy no UFA years in the process.

JMO though. That being said, signing Seguin to a 6/36 year deal wouldn't be overpaying IMO, simply the market for RFAs with elite potential.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I honestly don't see how this is an "overpayment" at all.

If you combine this contract extension with the contract he signed last Summer it is more like a 6 year - $23 million contract.

$3.8 million a year for a top 6 forward. He's entering his prime, 24 years old, kills penalties, can chip in 25+ goals, plays with edge, is a pain in the ass and is still getting better.

I think it's a steal.
I don't think it's a bad deal, but this is an absolutely absurd way of looking at contracts.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
I honestly don't see how this is an "overpayment" at all.

If you combine this contract extension with the contract he signed last Summer it is more like a 6 year - $23 million contract.

$3.8 million a year for a top 6 forward. He's entering his prime, 24 years old, kills penalties, can chip in 25+ goals, plays with edge, is a pain in the ass and is still getting better.

I think it's a steal.
still a $4.5M hit against their cap when it kicks in, any way you wanna slice it.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Solid deal, hate him with passion but I'd take him on my team for that cap hit

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:02 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I don't think it's a bad deal, but this is an absolutely absurd way of looking at contracts.
Why? It's the way I look at it.He got a contract and then a year later got an extension. Sure, the cap hit is higher than my phoney number but he is getting the amount I said.

Plus, it makes me feel better. I was hoping they would come in at $4.0 as a cap hit. They overpaid him a little bit but he is basically making Versteeg money and he is a better player than Versteeg.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

bit pricey but not bad

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Solid player. Terrible person. Overpaid.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Why? It's the way I look at it.He got a contract and then a year later got an extension. Sure, the cap hit is higher than my phoney number but he is getting the amount I said.

Plus, it makes me feel better. I was hoping they would come in at $4.0 as a cap hit. They overpaid him a little bit but he is basically making Versteeg money and he is a better player than Versteeg.
Because you're placing the least amount of emphasis on the most important number by looking at the contract in a way that is functionally irrelevant.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Lebowski

Fair deal, coming from an Habs fan.

I think he still has room to improve. Considering he's coming off a 28 goals season and his notable agitator role, I think 4,5M is a fair amount considering the 70M cap.

Most people thought MaxPac was a huge discount at 4,5M... I'd take Pac before Marchand, but statistically speaking, they aren't that far off.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:30 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Wow! So when did you get to meet him and spend time with him?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Same can be said for Burrows.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:23 PM
jokerboysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Same can be said for Burrows.
Also Beiska.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Good signing, probably a 40-60pts over the span of his contract, but with great intangibles. Would take him in Montreal anytime, but I like the fact I'll get to see him vs Subban for some time, which is great IMO. (if PK can ever get signed... )

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:57 PM
capebretoncanadien

Good deal. I hate the little ******* but that's at least fair and may turn out to be a bargain. Anyone doubting just needs to watch his playoff run video posted earlier.

Just beastly, dirty, cheap, low bridging, nose for the net, a winner. Exactly the kind of guy you want on your team.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Good deal. I hate the little ******* but that's at least fair and may turn out to be a bargain. Anyone doubting just needs to watch his playoff run video posted earlier.

Just beastly, dirty, cheap, low bridging, nose for the net, a winner. Exactly the kind of guy you want on your team.
Agree with your post and the fact that you can say you hate him means he does his job very well. The absolute definition of a guy you hate to play against, but love having on your side.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 08:05 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
Also Beiska.
Whole Canucks team

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:07 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post

delete all other post. Anyone that says this is a bad deal is just plain hating on the player. Kids is $$, once he stops with the occasional dive he will be even more of a producer of goals.

The once in a while cheap shot will need to stay. Bruins are solid for years to come.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Good signing, probably a 40-60pts over the span of his contract, but with great intangibles. Would take him in Montreal anytime, but I like the fact I'll get to see him vs Subban for some time, which is great IMO. (if PK can ever get signed... )
loved that game where they kept trying to fight but would the refs would always separate them. they seem to have a funny kind of friendly rivalry going on

would take him in montreal anytime. and we might have our own version of marchant coming up in gallagher so

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:23 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Absolutely love what this guy does on the ice, just not when he plays against my team.

I don't see any problems with him continuing to be a 40-60 point player through this contract, barring some sort of freak incidents. So as far as I'm concerned this a fair deal, if he produces on the low end of that spectrum it might be a slight over payment but he still has a lot of intangibles, which when being backed up by guys like Chara/Thornton/Lucic/etc makes his game an asset the majority of the time.. If he was playing that style of game on any other team that couldn't protect him, it might actually be a detriment to the team though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
would take him in montreal anytime. and we might have our own version of marchant coming up in gallagher so
One can hope. Gallagher is every bit as offensively talented, it's just a question of whether that will translate to the NHL as well as it has for Marchard. In terms of drive and determination, they are definitely equals as well. I don't think Gallagher will be as much of an agitator as Marchard though, a little pain in the butt but I don't see him being as dirty. Being that we don't have the big guns to save his neck 24/7, that may not be a bad thing though.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:07 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

A winner I think. A great playoff performer, maybe even elite. And doesn't hurt you in the regular season. Really nice signing. Times are pretty good for the Bruins.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:18 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
IMO, fair deal based on that market these days, there was no chance he was going to take less than 4 million, so 4.5 seems about right.

I do find it amusing though thinking back on some Bruins fans saying Chiarelli was such an amazing GM that he would be able to get a guy like Seguin to take less money on a bridge-type deal of 2-3 years.

There's zero chance he takes less than 5.5 million and 5 years IMO, since it would be stupid for the Bruins to sign him to a 4 year deal and buy no UFA years in the process.

JMO though. That being said, signing Seguin to a 6/36 year deal wouldn't be overpaying IMO, simply the market for RFAs with elite potential.
What I could see happening with seguin is a 2 years 5 millions prove it deal, and in the second year of his deal he will get extended for 6-7 years at 6.5 plus provided he does prove it

I know he's great, they know he's great, he knows he's great. But he has to prove it

The Bruins have built a culture of winning and players want to be here, PC will have more leverage in the deal than some think. Everyone was surprised with Rask's latest deal, I suspect to see something very similar

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:27 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Looks about right.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Some of these comparisons are hilarious. Come back when Pacioretty plays a playoff game and wins the Stanley Cup.
So relevant! Since I have read your awesome post, I now realize how terrible of a player Tavares is!

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Excellent contract for Claude Lemieux 2.0. I expect Marchand to be a 60-70 pt star player in his prime.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:28 PM
vadim sharifijanov

so bruins fans, what do you see as marchand's ceiling? ken linseman? higher than that?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote