HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2012, 11:05 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Scored a top right corner goal on a 2 on 1.

Guy who passed to me comes to me and says "sick snipe dude". I said "I wasn't actually aiming there".
Every...damn...time.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:03 AM
CanucksSayEh

Played my first league game the other day, got an assist on our 1st goal on my first shift. We won 6-2, checked the online stats today and found out i got another assist. 2ppg player on an undefeated team chyeaaaaa, 2013 draft here i come!

Old
09-09-2012, 11:07 AM
howeaboutthat

.....got nailed mid-ice by some guy who seems to think a lot of himself and is known for head hunting noobs, even though I was nowhere near the puck.

Supposed to be a limited contact scrimmage but as he set the stall out I decided to reply in kind and managed to put him into the boards pretty hard on a later shift.

Must say it felt really good.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:02 PM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
.....got nailed mid-ice by some guy who seems to think a lot of himself and is known for head hunting noobs, even though I was nowhere near the puck.

Supposed to be a limited contact scrimmage but as he set the stall out I decided to reply in kind and managed to put him into the boards pretty hard on a later shift.

Must say it felt really good.

wtg!

Old
09-09-2012, 05:05 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

5 days until Midget A/AA tryouts

Old
09-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Trl3789

Today I officially joined my first team wooooooo

so excited

Old
09-09-2012, 05:25 PM
redbranch

Went to hockey clinic with new skates. Learned a lot about blade profiling and radius, and not in a fun way. I couldnt stop if you put a gun to my head. I put my old blades on my new skates and problem solved. Ill be tsking the new blades to thhe place i usually get them sharpened and have him fix them

Old
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
PaperworkNinja

Today I go into Day 2 of "Hockey Practice involving a truckload of college hockey players." Day 1 involved touching the puck three times total, and skating like I was in fear for my life. I also accidentally speared one of the college kids in the Very Sensitive Bits. His coach congratulated me on helping to toughen the guys up.

I'm doomed today at practice.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Today I am trying to find a rec league league to play in for when October rolls around. Hardest part I think is finding what level I should be playing at. One of the leagues I was looking at is a co-ed Friday night rookie league. Its less expensive then the other leagues which is good cause I'm in college.

My only concern is will it be too easy for me? I emailed someone in charge and they sent me this:

Quote:
Hey,
The Friday Night Rookie League is for beginner and intermediate adults looking to join a fun league with an emphasis on improving and developing skill. Most players that join the league are usually newer to the game of hockey or have not played any hockey for a while. Some players are stronger then others most of the time they are pretty good about sharing the puck and helping others improve their game. If a player is to strong for the league and begins to take things to serious I usually have a word with this player and things usually straighten themselves out. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks
I've played about 8 rec/pick-up hockey games as a fill in goalie in the past two years. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much because over the summer I played three games and after the first game the players asked me what other leagues I was playing in. When I told them this was my first time in about 3 months back on skates and in goalie equipment they were shocked or surprised. Maybe it means nothing though.

I may be over thinking this whole thing but it would be nice for some other opinions. Looking at the email I see that there will be some above average players and I am just looking for fun, plus the cost is better so I am leaning towards it.

Old
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

That sounds like a fun league to be in, actually.

I play in two different D-leagues. One is more competitive, just games. The other is a class, followed by a game. Only 3 teams and we get new people rolling in all the time. So each team will have stronger and weaker players.

Everyone knows that we're here to get better and have fun, NOT to get bragging rights over the D-league championship. I don't think there's even a trophy for that league. So sure, people try to play well and win - but we all work together in the drills and class beforehand and nobody takes it too seriously. Well, almost nobody...there are a couple of people who would probably get penalties in a more strict league.

A few weeks ago my team started to talk strategy at the end of a game when we were down 2-1 - pull a weak player, play a stronger player even though it messed up the lines. The coach came over and told us NOT to pull anyone from the ice because that wasn't why we were there. We were all there to have fun and get better, and pulling someone in order to win a pointless game in a pointless league where there isn't any reward for winning was not what he wanted us to do.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I have hockey for high school PE three times a week in the morning. Tuesday, wednesday and thursday are when I have ice times.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Devil Dancer

Today I checked my league's web site obsessively in the hopes that the schedule will magically appear. I hate the offseason.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:41 AM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzuJ View Post
I have hockey for high school PE three times a week in the morning. Tuesday, wednesday and thursday are when I have ice times.
How does it feel to go to High School in Heaven?

Old
09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
PaperworkNinja

Last night I took my first stick to the face.

I am VERY happy I was wearing a cage. I was getting up after trying to block a low shot and a kid on the other team (and he is a kid. He's 15 and the average age on the ice is 35) wasn't aware that there were other people around him. So of course the kid starts futzing around with his stick and slashes me across the face as I get up. He didn't even notice it until I grabbed him by the chinstrap and told him to keep his "friendly" stick on the "friendly" ice or I would roughly place it in a bodily orifice that was normally considered to be exit-only. (I used sliiiightly harsher language than that.) The kid kept a good ten feet away from me the rest of the game.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

This was yesterday, but for the first time, I tried a backhand toe drag through the legs in live action and pulled it off fluidly to set up a tap in assist. It was only pickup but it felt really nice as my only other move is to just go wide.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM
WhatsCrackin

Took a skating lesson. It was really fun...and now I'm on my way to being the worlds greatest skater

Old
09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
SaintTavares

Today i died a little bit inside...

Old
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
stocky

Today, I completed watching Hockey: A Peoples History.

I love this game

Old
09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
hlaverty06

Had the **** boarded out of me

Old
09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Today I checked my league's web site obsessively in the hopes that the schedule will magically appear. I hate the offseason.
I know that feel

Old
09-16-2012, 01:23 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

So akward on my left foot :/

Old
09-16-2012, 04:12 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Today I am trying to find a rec league league to play in for when October rolls around. Hardest part I think is finding what level I should be playing at. One of the leagues I was looking at is a co-ed Friday night rookie league. Its less expensive then the other leagues which is good cause I'm in college.

My only concern is will it be too easy for me? I emailed someone in charge and they sent me this:

I've played about 8 rec/pick-up hockey games as a fill in goalie in the past two years. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much because over the summer I played three games and after the first game the players asked me what other leagues I was playing in. When I told them this was my first time in about 3 months back on skates and in goalie equipment they were shocked or surprised. Maybe it means nothing though.

I may be over thinking this whole thing but it would be nice for some other opinions. Looking at the email I see that there will be some above average players and I am just looking for fun, plus the cost is better so I am leaning towards it.
Where is that friday night rookie league? London?

Old
09-16-2012, 04:14 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzuJ View Post
5 days until Midget A/AA tryouts
Where do you play that AA try-outs start so late??

Old
09-16-2012, 04:20 AM
lokomotiv15

Today i have the finals for my summer league. Guessing by how I feel right now and by the fact that half of my team has a junior game at 3 tmrw, itll be rough. Winners get $200 at the bar and mugs though!

Old
09-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Got nailed by the puck in the area with no padding near my chest.

Missed 2 empty net chances and 2 chances I would've normally buried.

I did have a nice steak dinner before this though. Oh well.

Closed Thread