HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Rig Brew Pub

Old
09-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Kekumba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Yes, now our little places just need to get away from the safe styles and we'll really have something nice going.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Ive been there 3 times and each time it seems I find something else im not crazy about.

Ive enjoyed the food Ive ordered all 3 times. Ive had the wings, nachos, fish n chips. The friends Ive been with have also enjoyed their food. Pizza, burger etc. i find the beer to be alright... Nothing special.

My biggest qualm is exactly what Ohhh Franco mentioned. Small tv's without HD... And they are promoting MNF?????

On friday night the Canadian soccer game was on... You couldnt even track the ball. Let alone follow the golf or baseball they were showing... In this day and age if you arent going to have HD at an establishment you might as well not have tv's. Also, i dont think theyve got a tv over 40" in the place.

Now I realize its not a "sports bar" but if you are going to promote MNF and im sure Sens games down the road... Step your game up...

I feel the Citizen review was fairly accurate...

I will still go once in awhile... But its not a go-to place for anything really...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
This is not a place that seems to be geared towards being unique and adds something to the Ottawa landscape. Seems like a money grab with a big name attached to it. I went there on Friday and ordered the nachos with a pint of big rig gold and there was nothing great about it. Nachos were okay and the beer average. Who wants to go to a brewery and order Indian type food? I think they should hire a Chef to come up with signature dishes you can only find there that are so good people want to come for the beer and stay for the food.

Too many items to choose from. I get the feeling that most of the items come out of a bag or are previously frozen.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:10 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Well since you asked I do remember Phillips actually removing his helmet to fight someone many years back, but I believe he has an eye problem that eating fists wouldn't help.
i'm pretty sure the fight you're talking about was with barnabe. i think i remember being there live to see it.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:42 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
This is not a place that seems to be geared towards being unique and adds something to the Ottawa landscape. Seems like a money grab with a big name attached to it. I went there on Friday and ordered the nachos with a pint of big rig gold and there was nothing great about it. Nachos were okay and the beer average. Who wants to go to a brewery and order Indian type food? I think they should hire a Chef to come up with signature dishes you can only find there that are so good people want to come for the beer and stay for the food.

Too many items to choose from. I get the feeling that most of the items come out of a bag or are previously frozen.
One of the partners is the guy who started up the Clocktower Pubs so they are likely using that as a template.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Anyone know if they've improved their service at all yet? Sadly, it's the reason keeping me from wanting to go back.
Seriously? That sucks, I've been there 6 times now and have loved it every time. Service has been fantastic, beer is great and food is even better. Burgers and fries to die for, going there again today can't wait.

The girlfriend loves it too.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Marklar*

The burgers are definitely frozen. No juiciness to them and they are all well-formed circles. They are hardly to die for.

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
The burgers are definitely frozen. No juiciness to them and they are all well-formed circles. They are hardly to die for.
Agreed! I finaly tried the Pizza there last night, and it was good, but not enough to make me go back for more.

3 visits, the Honeymoon is over!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Bob Cole

Went to this place last month and was very disappointed. They charge way too much for what they are offering. Not worth the drive from the East end. Is there any more restaurants that brew their own beer in Ottawa?

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Went to this place last month and was very disappointed. They charge way too much for what they are offering. Not worth the drive from the East end. Is there any more restaurants that brew their own beer in Ottawa?
Mill Street Brew Pub beside the War Museum, although prices are pretty comparable..

My experiences at both places were good though, so if your very disappointed with Big Rig, you may also be disappointed with Mill Street...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
jordan7hm

Mill Street suffers from the same type of issues. Cluttered menu, inconsistent quality, overly high prices.

Go for the beer, not the food. (None of the beer is blow you away good either, but none of it is bad, and there are some high notes - the Stout, the IPA, the Raspberry Wheat. The beer will likely improve with time - you don't get magic right away. I have less faith that the food will improve.)

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Why do people frequently referred to cluttered menus? I'm just wondering, because I'd rather see a Sports Bar menu filled with tons of options than the ones where you walk in and they give you a laminated sheet of paper.

Maybe that's just me.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Why do people frequently referred to cluttered menus? I'm just wondering, because I'd rather see a Sports Bar menu filled with tons of options than the ones where you walk in and they give you a laminated sheet of paper.

Maybe that's just me.
Cluttered as opposed to focused.

A focused menu for a sports bar includes "Sports Bar" type foods. Wings, nachos, pizza, burgers, club sandwiches, fries, zucchini sticks, etc. It doesn't include Lobster Bisque or Tuna Niquoise or a variety of curries, nor does it include a 30$ steak.

Menus that do well focus on the restaurant's strengths*. This creates an identity for the restaurant, and it helps prevent the restaurant from putting out sub-par food.

You can have upscale pub food if you want. But upscale pub food is still focused around sandwiches and meat and appetizers, of a high quality in terms of both cooking technique and ingredient selection. (Big Rig isn't that.)

*This isn't entirely true, chain restaurants like Kelseys do operate with a shotgun approach to menu selection - but they have other factors at work as well. And the food isn't particularly good.

e: If I were running Big Rig I'd dump the entire menu. Big Rig isn't a sports bar, it's a brewpub. They should be aiming to have upscale pub food. I'm thinking The Manx. I'd specifically be building the menu around each of the beers that are on offer. Every single item should have a single "best" recommended beer. Nothing that isn't beer focused. You make your money on the beer, you want to get your product out beyond the brewpub walls. You want everyone in the pub drinking, and you want to ideally have them pair food that will best highlight the beer's strengths.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Margaret Trudeau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
This is not a place that seems to be geared towards being unique and adds something to the Ottawa landscape. Seems like a money grab with a big name attached to it. I went there on Friday and ordered the nachos with a pint of big rig gold and there was nothing great about it. Nachos were okay and the beer average. Who wants to go to a brewery and order Indian type food?
Indian food is one of the most popular things to eat at a pub.

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Cluttered as opposed to focused.

A focused menu for a sports bar includes "Sports Bar" type foods. Wings, nachos, pizza, burgers, club sandwiches, fries, zucchini sticks, etc. It doesn't include Lobster Bisque or Tuna Niquoise or a variety of curries, nor does it include a 30$ steak.

Menus that do well focus on the restaurant's strengths*. This creates an identity for the restaurant, and it helps prevent the restaurant from putting out sub-par food.

You can have upscale pub food if you want. But upscale pub food is still focused around sandwiches and meat and appetizers, of a high quality in terms of both cooking technique and ingredient selection. (Big Rig isn't that.)

*This isn't entirely true, chain restaurants like Kelseys do operate with a shotgun approach to menu selection - but they have other factors at work as well. And the food isn't particularly good.

e: If I were running Big Rig I'd dump the entire menu. Big Rig isn't a sports bar, it's a brewpub. They should be aiming to have upscale pub food. I'm thinking The Manx. I'd specifically be building the menu around each of the beers that are on offer. Every single item should have a single "best" recommended beer. Nothing that isn't beer focused. You make your money on the beer, you want to get your product out beyond the brewpub walls. You want everyone in the pub drinking, and you want to ideally have them pair food that will best highlight the beer's strengths.
That sounds right to me.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Is there any more restaurants that brew their own beer in Ottawa?
Mill St, and Clocktower. Both have the odd highlight, but in general are very underwhelming in the beer department. There's also Broadhead and Kichesippi for breweries and their stuff can be found throughout the city (again, nothing great, but if you're looking for Ottawa breweries). There's some decent places for beer around the city, though. Arrow & Loon, Pub Italia, and The Black Tomato all have good beer offerings. They're all expensive and are mostly Ontario offerings, however.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Brasseurs du Temps (BDT) is another brewpub that is easily accessible in Gatineau.

Bistro l'Autre Oeil in Aylmer might have the best selection of European brews (particularly Belgians).

Chelsea pub has some decent Quebec microbrews too.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:11 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Mill St, and Clocktower. Both have the odd highlight, but in general are very underwhelming in the beer department. There's also Broadhead and Kichesippi for breweries and their stuff can be found throughout the city (again, nothing great, but if you're looking for Ottawa ...).
I had the Kichesippi "Heller High Water" at a local pub earlier this summer and it was outstanding.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Kekumba

Can't believe I forgot BDT. By far the best brew pub in the Ottawa area.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Valois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Can't believe I forgot BDT. By far the best brew pub in the Ottawa area.
I haven't tried all of them, but I more or less second this. BDT is great.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Ron Jeremy

Les 3 Brasseurs is opening in Ottawa this fall. The one in d-town Montreal is awesome. Great food and beer.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:18 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
Les 3 Brasseurs is opening in Ottawa this fall. The one in d-town Montreal is awesome. Great food and beer.
It's garbage. Mediocre food and beer at lousy prices. Plus it's not even Canadian owned.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

There's also the Old Mill at Ashton which is a brewpub just outside city limits. Their beer is also served at Patty's Pub on Bank Street which has the same ownership.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Proust

The Mill St. space in Ottawa is fantastic, even better than the original pub in the Distillery District in Toronto. The food was mediocre, at best, in Ottawa.

Les 3 Brasseurs here in Toronto is garbage.

The best brew-pub in Toronto is Belwoods Brewery, operated out of an old mechanic's garage on Ossington. They have about 10 things on the menu. It's very no-nonsensed and focussed. For example, last time I was there, I had a whole grilled sardine, and then topped it off with a grilled peach. The Big Rig won't have the same customer demographic, but the first thing they should probably do is cut 1/3rd of the items off the menu.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:49 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Made my first visit to Big Rig last night.

Place was jam packed at about 7pm. Thankfully there was some empty spots at the bar. Yay for solo eating for once lol. There was at least 3-5 groups waiting for tables the entire time I was there.

Had the Big Rig Gold which was good. Hardly a beer connoisseur. It was cold enough, it went to down easy, that's all I needed. Contemplated the sampler, but just went with the pint instead.

For food, I ordered the Philly’s Grilled Cheese & Beef and I was very confused when it came to me. The menu describes it as...

Quote:
You may need a knife & fork for this one! Thinly sliced slow roasted succulent beef with rich mushroom & lager gravy between an aged Canadian cheddar grill cheese sandwich with sautéed onions.
Now, to me, that sounds like it's an actual sandwich. Two pieces of bread with beef between the bread. Instead it was just a grilled cheese sandwich with beef on the side. Not sure if that's what it was supposed to be like. It tasted fine. I'm a pretty fast eater, but even then the beef got cold fairly quick. Got standard fries as my side, those were nothing to write home about.

Will definitely go back, but probably not order that menu item again. Some of the burgers and pizzas I saw around me looked rather tasty.

People running the place lose points for having all the TVs on American news for about 30 minutes before they turned the channels to some college football.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote