HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Butch Goring helmet

Old
09-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Hank4Hart

vCash: 500
Butch Goring helmet

picked up an interesting helmet the other day for cheap from someone, after hours and hours of google-ing i came to the conclusion that this is the same one that butch goring used to wear a long time ago while he was with the isles.....

does anyone know what the worth of these helmets are today.....? just curious as to what i have in my hands

mods: not sure if this is the right forum feel free to move the thread.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Guffaw

Best helmet ever. It looked like 2 halves, front and back, with a big vent in the middle. It is still the joke once in awhile around the locker room amongst the older guys.

Be sure to post any info or pics you find.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 04:26 PM
robmneilson

I think you need to wear that in mens league.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
greyraven8

As for the value of the helmet - periodically check on Ebay for similar ones and see what they go for.

Apparently the helmet was a Snaps brand helmet:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=370718

As far as old unusual helmets go: one player in a group that plays before I do wears a green Northland helmet - I think he probably used to play on the Thunder Bay Twins (former Senior hockey team), another player that was on the same NBC as I has a helmet that had Spalding and the 'hat size' printed on the back of it. When I started playing goal I had that piece of crap Cooper XL7 for a brief length of time.

I've seen the Northland helmets up on Ebay for around $100 (not sure if or how much they sold for). Haven't noticed any helmets like Goring's on Ebay or know if there is a market for them.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
As for the value of the helmet - periodically check on Ebay for similar ones and see what they go for.

Apparently the helmet was a Snaps brand helmet:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=370718

As far as old unusual helmets go: one player in a group that plays before I do wears a green Northland helmet - I think he probably used to play on the Thunder Bay Twins (former Senior hockey team), another player that was on the same NBC as I has a helmet that had Spalding and the 'hat size' printed on the back of it. When I started playing goal I had that piece of crap Cooper XL7 for a brief length of time.

I've seen the Northland helmets up on Ebay for around $100 (not sure if or how much they sold for). Haven't noticed any helmets like Goring's on Ebay or know if there is a market for them.
I can't believe goalies would wear that XL7 helmet, that thing was a piece of no 2 if I have ever seen one.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:15 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Those helmets are worthless. Wait, I mean priceless!

I keep hockey items I've inherited or found for an eventual ice hockey museum/display. It's not like I cherish the old stuff or am a collector, I just can't bring myself to throw away a bunch of ancient broken sticks, rusted leather skates, etc.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:44 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Those helmets are worthless. Wait, I mean priceless!

I keep hockey items I've inherited or found for an eventual ice hockey museum/display. It's not like I cherish the old stuff or am a collector, I just can't bring myself to throw away a bunch of ancient broken sticks, rusted leather skates, etc.
I've got some sticks, skates and equipment I'm hanging onto from the early 70's, just can't seem to get rid of them! It's hockey history!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote