HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Lounge Thread 2012 Pt. II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
  #751
Abduljabbar
Rookie User
 
Abduljabbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virginia/CO
Country: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zKiRbYz21 View Post
If you think the demo is good then you'll love the real game. I hated the demo but i cant get enough of the full game.
I've been playing using the "True Broadcast" camera but the controls are weird I have no idea how to shoot with a right-handed player. The face-offs are eerie, too.

Abduljabbar is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  #752
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?
 
KingSizeKirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abduljabbar View Post
I've been playing using the "True Broadcast" camera but the controls are weird I have no idea how to shoot with a right-handed player. The face-offs are eerie, too.
ya i cant win a faceoff for my life.

KingSizeKirby is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 09:06 PM
  #753
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 50
I feel like I might never walk again. And thats just after the first practice of the week.

The Shermanator is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
  #754
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady
 
Congo Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Candy Apple Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I feel like I might never walk again. And thats just after the first practice of the week.
I feel like I might never walk again, but that is because I am full of steak and potatoes.....that is almost a workout!.......shut up.....

Congo Jack is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 09:35 PM
  #755
Unaffiliated
Registered User
 
Unaffiliated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I feel like I might never walk again. And thats just after the first practice of the week.
i don't post here socially all that often... what sport do you play?

Unaffiliated is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
  #756
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
i don't post here socially all that often... what sport do you play?
Volleyball. In one of the most demanding varsity programs in the country.

The Shermanator is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
  #757
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 50
Hey JWK, you're falling behind on the twitter followers.

The Shermanator is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
  #758
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz
 
JWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 303
Country: South Korea
Posts: 10,395
vCash: 157
Hey Shermy, you're falling behind in # of people you follow.

JWK is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
  #759
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Volleyball. In one of the most demanding varsity programs in the country.
You play??? I thought you were just a fan.


Volleyball is dope.

Landeslog is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
  #760
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
You play??? I thought you were just a fan.


Volleyball is dope.
You know how to make a man very happy.

The Shermanator is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
  #761
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
You know how to make a man very happy.
We go play every Friday (beach, though, not court). There's a big warehouse/bar filled with about a foot and a half of sand and divided into courts with nets. It's a freaking blast.
But boy do you get sore after 3-4 hours of straight volleyball.

Landeslog is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
  #762
Abduljabbar
Rookie User
 
Abduljabbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virginia/CO
Country: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
I used to play volleyball until about a year and a half ago. It's fantastic when you're 5'6" (168 cm) and you can spike the bloody thing with all your might.

Abduljabbar is offline  
Old
09-09-2012, 11:30 PM
  #763
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
i don't post here socially all that often... what sport do you play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abduljabbar View Post
I used to play volleyball until about a year and a half ago. It's fantastic when you're 5'6" (168 cm) and you can spike the bloody thing with all your might.
That's rough. I'm 6'4 and considered short.

The Shermanator is online now  
Old
09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
  #764
Abduljabbar
Rookie User
 
Abduljabbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virginia/CO
Country: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
That's rough. I'm 6'4 and considered short.
Haha at least you're not playing basketball with the real giants.

Abduljabbar is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 12:31 AM
  #765
Unaffiliated
Registered User
 
Unaffiliated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Volleyball. In one of the most demanding varsity programs in the country.
ah cool cool

Unaffiliated is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 06:44 AM
  #766
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 50
Volleyball is definitely a sick sport. Who is JWK on twitter? Not sure if i'm following you or not. Also, speaking of twitter, I love the fact that Lando and Duchene were bowling together last night. Team chemistry forms off the ice. It's good to know these guys hang out together.

kento19 is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 07:09 AM
  #767
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,066
vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Volleyball is definitely a sick sport. Who is JWK on twitter? Not sure if i'm following you or not. Also, speaking of twitter, I love the fact that Lando and Duchene were bowling together last night. Team chemistry forms off the ice. It's good to know these guys hang out together.
Max Talbot was there too, just saying. Maybe we're trading Stastny for him
Sorry Leaf fans looks like we aren't giving Stastny to you.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 08:55 AM
  #768
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by zKiRbYz21 View Post
If you think the demo is good then you'll love the real game. I hated the demo but i cant get enough of the full game.
One thing that I'm not liking, and I know this is probably nit-picking. But it's the lack of detail to the Avalanche.

If you watch the little intro's before each game, you'll notice that EA has #'s 77, 33 and 19 in the rafters as retired...um...what about # 21?

It happened LAST YEAR, more than enough time to put it in.

And for all of the talk about having more of the players' faces detailed....go take a look at EJ or O'Reilly or Varlamov, they look nothing like their real life counterparts.

But the game is really good on a whole, I am enjoying it more than I did NHL 12

RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
  #769
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 905
So, I was talking to stevekento19 on Twitter, and I told him I'd post my thoughts on NHL 13 here for anyone who was interested in reading them. (however brief they may be)

To clarify, much like some of the other posters here on HFBoards, I do have the EA Sports Season Ticket, I got it last year because I play, and ultimately buy, the NCAA/Madden/NHL titles, and thought it'd be nice to try the full games before they come out, in case I didn't like them, and therefore wouldn't have to pay $60 and end up with a game that I don't like.

For instance, last year, I downloaded and played all of NCAA/Madden/NHL titles, but didn't buy Madden, I just didn't enjoy it. This year was a bit different, I did the same thing, but did not buy the NCAA title.

I buy the NHL title every year regardless of my love for it.

Now, onto my brief review of the NHL game!

So, one thing you'll notice right away, is the the same thing that EA has been touting all along! The True Performance Skating! I highly recommend watching the brief tutorial video at the beginning just to get a handle on it. But man, oh man, the addition of that is N-I-C-E, NICE!

Does it take a little bit to get used to? For some it may, just based on it being totally different than what we've been used to in the past, but it's a WELCOME challenge in my opinion. It really does capture everyone's speed differently. If you're using Jan Hejda, but get caught flat-footed against a speedier winger? Well, you've got to try and cut off his angles toward the net and hope that Varly will bail you out!

Let me give a bit of history here...In past NHL series games, once I've gotten used to whatever new features are available in the game, I usually end up dominating the CPU even on the hardest difficulties. Now "dominating" to me, is a final score of 5 or 7 to 1 or 2. I've played about 20 total games of this, and only ONCE did I win a game by a large margin like that, and it was final score 7-3...and this was on the default "Pro" difficulty setting! Most of my games have ended with a 1-2 goal lead. And in past games, I could count on 1 hand how many games I've lost, this game, I've lost about 3 games. I feel the CPU AI has improved DRAMATICALLY!

Now, I'm in the middle of my Be A GM 1st season, so I can't give too much info on that right now, but what I can say, is that (so far) the advertising for a "Smarter" GM Brain seems to be working out. For FUN only, I put Stastny on the trading block, and then I simmed to the Draft (I didn't save any of this, I want to play through my first season), I got offered a Top-10 Pick for Stastny, from a team who needed a #1 Center (and it looked like the C class was very shallow after Mackinnon went)

If I HAD to give one knock on the game, it's the same that I had last year's game. I feel that players go down way too easily. Now, I've not actually played hockey, I live in Kansas and when growing up, there wasn't the (limited) youth hockey programs available. So perhaps I'm off on this assertion, but I feel that if Erik Johnson is 6'4 and 232 lbs (as stated on ColoradoAvalanche.com) then he should NOT be bumped off of the puck so easily, and go down to the ice, by players the size of Matt Duchene (just the size, like 5'11-6'0 and 190-200 lbs) I feel that he should be a bit harder to knock off, and definitely harder to make go to the ice. It just seems like it happens a lot, and not with EJ, I've had McGinn and Downie knocked off that easily...surprisingly (or not?) enough, Landeskog seems to hold onto the puck pretty easily.

And another thing, for those who think that they're just got to "waltz in" and be deking out the defenders? Not gonna happen, if you come into the defensive zone, and attempt to deke, you're more than likely going to have the puck poked away from you. Plan on cherry picking at the blue line? Probably not going to work. I've only had a very small amount of breakaways, and I like that. It makes the breakaway a lot more exciting, like in real life.

Overall, I feel that if you skipped NHL 12, thinking that there wasn't enough different from NHL 11 to NHL 12, DO NOT skip NHL 13! The new skating/physics engine are a HUGE inclusion, especially if you've longed for more realism to the NHL series, the new True Performance Skating engine provides that

Today I plan on exploring the Be A Pro area in preparation for tomorrow's physical release.

RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
  #770
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz
 
JWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 303
Country: South Korea
Posts: 10,395
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Volleyball is definitely a sick sport. Who is JWK on twitter? Not sure if i'm following you or not. Also, speaking of twitter, I love the fact that Lando and Duchene were bowling together last night. Team chemistry forms off the ice. It's good to know these guys hang out together.
Don't know your handle, what is it and I'll follow it.

JWK is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
  #771
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 50
Great Review of NHL 13. Cannot wait to pick it up tomorrow.

JWK, my handle is @kento19

kento19 is offline  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
  #772
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

If I HAD to give one knock on the game, it's the same that I had last year's game. I feel that players go down way too easily. Now, I've not actually played hockey, I live in Kansas and when growing up, there wasn't the (limited) youth hockey programs available. So perhaps I'm off on this assertion, but I feel that if Erik Johnson is 6'4 and 232 lbs (as stated on ColoradoAvalanche.com) then he should NOT be bumped off of the puck so easily, and go down to the ice, by players the size of Matt Duchene (just the size, like 5'11-6'0 and 190-200 lbs) I feel that he should be a bit harder to knock off, and definitely harder to make go to the ice. It just seems like it happens a lot, and not with EJ, I've had McGinn and Downie knocked off that easily...surprisingly (or not?) enough, Landeskog seems to hold onto the puck pretty easily.
Thankfully NHL has the sliders which improves this. Try putting Attributes all the way and I believe there is a USER slider that makes you tougher to get pushed off the puck. But remember that momentum also has to do with checking. If Duchene went at full speed from his own goal and Chara was standing still at his blue line, no doubt Duchene would probably have a high percentage of knocking Chara down from his momentum.

From the demo the hardest thing getting used to is programing your mind when to glide because in all the recent NHL games you really didn't need to think about skating at half speed to maneuver.

S E P H is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
  #773
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 50
Holy crap Juzmo is back.

S E P H is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
  #774
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Thankfully NHL has the sliders which improves this. Try putting Attributes all the way and I believe there is a USER slider that makes you tougher to get pushed off the puck. But remember that momentum also has to do with checking. If Duchene went at full speed from his own goal and Chara was standing still at his blue line, no doubt Duchene would probably have a high percentage of knocking Chara down from his momentum.

From the demo the hardest thing getting used to is programing your mind when to glide because in all the recent NHL games you really didn't need to think about skating at half speed to maneuver.
Yeah, I've been tweaking the sliders, trying to find that perfect balance. I don't want to be "invincible" when it comes to playing and NEVER getting knocked off or not having any challenge whatsoever.

My complaint came from maybe standing in the offensive zone, and then having the player nearest to me skate over and then knock me down.

Now..what do you mean by "Attributes"? Because the sliders I adjust are like the "Puck Control" in the settings area.

RockLobster is online now  
Old
09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
  #775
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Holy crap Juzmo is back.
Enlighten me...who or what is "Juzmo"?

RockLobster is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.