HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs pushing QLB to block NHL lockout in Quebec

Old
09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
ourobouros

vCash: 500
Ive found this interesting article from La Presse on this subject (in french).

ourobouros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
shutehinside

That's perfect. We'll show up to play EVERY game and win them all by default when the other team doesn't show up we win! If the season starts late, we'll have a huge lead in the standings.

If not, and there's no season and Molson still has to pay them, I'd practice them like normal and sell tickets to have them skate and play against each other in front of fans.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourobouros View Post
Ive found this interesting article from La Presse on this subject (in french).
According to Richard Labbé from La Presse (he received an email from the NHLPA), the NHLPA will contest the legality of a lockout in Quebec (no surprise here: you can always count on us to cause problems!)... Ontario, Alberta and may consider doing it in BC and Manitoba.

Damned... our plan to win the Cup is in danger!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
That's perfect. We'll show up to play EVERY game and win them all by default when the other team doesn't show up we win! If the season starts late, we'll have a huge lead in the standings.

If not, and there's no season and Molson still has to pay them, I'd practice them like normal and sell tickets to have them skate and play against each other in front of fans.
You mix current Habs, Bulldogs and drafted players and make 4 to 6 teams and make a mini tournament/scrimmages

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
If they're not a recognized union, then can't the players just be laid off by the team? They could collect EI during the lockout. When the lockout is over they can all be hired back. No other team, while free to do so, will attempt to sign them.

Dangerous little game the PA is playing here.
All the Habs' player's contract could be rendered void by the player if they didn't pay them. Then when work starts up again they'd be a free agent (RFA or UFA depending on eligibility). Breaking the contracts would be incredibly stupid for the Habs.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Schedule is set by commissioner's office. There would be no scheduled games.

However, I've been looking over the NHL constitution and bylaws. I'm pretty sure the Habs would have the right to play whatever exhibition game they want during the lockout with their contracted players.

With no CBA it seems the players are just the contracted employees of Club de Hockey Canadien, Inc.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Patrice Brisebois

meh, I guess competitive scrimmages are better than nothing

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
meh, I guess competitive scrimmages are better than nothing
If there was a shortened season the Habs would have a big advantage of being regular season ready right from the get go while the other teams would only have shortened training camp

Old
09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
All the Habs' player's contract could be rendered void by the player if they didn't pay them. Then when work starts up again they'd be a free agent (RFA or UFA depending on eligibility). Breaking the contracts would be incredibly stupid for the Habs.
They would indeed be free agents. There would have to be an unspoken and untraceable form of collusion among owners not to sign the players. Most of the other rosters would be set anyways so it's not like the entire roster could be dispersed in one fell swoop. The Habs players would have to "steal" another player's job if they went to another team. Not very brotherly. Would also solve the Gomez problem!!

It's not like Molson has $60M to just throw away in salary without a return. I'm not saying he would or should, but it's an option.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:00 PM
MXD

Quote:
They would indeed be free agents. There would have to be an unspoken and untraceable form of collusion among owners not to sign the players. Most of the other rosters would be set anyways so it's not like the entire roster could be dispersed in one fell swoop. The Habs players would have to "steal" another player's job if they went to another team. Not very brotherly. Would also solve the Gomez problem!!

It's not like Molson has $60M to just throw away in salary without a return. I'm not saying he would or should, but it's an option.
... But the team would keep the rights on the players who would be, at this time, RFA.

And it would create a VERY, VERY absurd situation with Max Pacioretty, who would be under no contract for this season, but would be under contract for next season. A contract that hasn't started cannot be voided.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

He'd have to renegotiate with everyone in one fell swoop. A quite a few guys would be in good position to demand more money right away. Its not a good option, essentially if Chicago's RFA error effected the entire squad simultaneously.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
D4nY

i only have one question... does this take away 1 year on Gomez contract?

D4nY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4nY View Post
i only have one question... does this take away 1 year on Gomez contract?
On strict interpretation, and in the best case, Gomez's contract could be voided.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
LeHab

Molson could move Habs Franchise to another province until lockout is solved.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Molson could move Habs Franchise to another province until lockout is solved.
...Who?

EDIT : You edited your post, so it makes sense. Thought you meant the NHL could move the Habs... lol.

Old
09-09-2012, 11:29 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i... hate... fehr... so... much....

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He'd have to renegotiate with everyone in one fell swoop. A quite a few guys would be in good position to demand more money right away. Its not a good option, essentially if Chicago's RFA error effected the entire squad simultaneously.
It would be a very silly situation. In any event, if the players do decide to attempt to be paid during the lockout, it could be divisive for the PA as well as the league. What incentive do the players that are getting paid have to accept a deal that short changes them?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

All Canadians teams brings in big profit. If all of them are not locked out, you can be sure as hell, the owners will surely have a little talk with Gary.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it were the owners of these teams that found the loophole stating that the player can't be locked out...

If that's the case, then I think one of two things can happen...

1. The NHL would have to scramble to agree on a new CBA

2. Keep the old CBA for one year and negotiate throughout the year instead of 2 weeks in the summer

Last edited by axman88: 09-09-2012 at 11:53 PM.
axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I bet he doesn't. It's not like he isn't getting paid. He owns the bell center and he makes money off of every concert in there, so it's not as if he's cutting off all of his revenue for the year.

I'm sure he loves money and wants as much of it as possible, but he's a lifelong habs fan and when it was time to bid for the habs he put it all out on the table. He paid way over the estimated value and he bleeds bleu blanc rouge. If there's a lockout he loses both as an owner and a hockey fan.
He and his family didn't make millions with "love".

Don't kid yourself, he's a business man first and foremost. Only an idiot would spend that much money and not care to lose it all.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:53 AM
LyricalLyricist

Im on owners side. What a ****** move. Hope it's taken care of.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Im on owners side. What a ****** move. Hope it's taken care of.
Thing is if they agree to negotiate during season and not lock-out just playing with current structure , Fehr has a history of pulling this move where he threatens a lockout right before the playoffs. I don't know about you guys but a season without playoffs is like a computer without internet...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:33 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it were the owners of these teams that found the loophole stating that the player can't be locked out...

If that's the case, then I think one of two things can happen...

1. The NHL would have to scramble to agree on a new CBA

2. Keep the old CBA for one year and negotiate throughout the year instead of 2 weeks in the summer
Feels like the more likely option. I've worked in many places where the union didn't have a current CBA and were just getting paid based on the last one, and then when the new one was reached all the fiancees were paid out retroactively.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:52 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

How can anyone be on the owner's side in this? Last lockout there had to have been a middle ground but in this one is clearly between the RICH OWNERS v. POOR OWNERS and they both wanna get their cut out of the players. Y'know... the sportsmen who actually play this sport? Without the players there is no hockey and the NHL/Owners just want to plunder away at whatever the players have legally agreed to in their contracts (by up to 25%!) because they're lunatics who'd rather lockout the league not 7 years after the last one instead of revamp their structure.

The Rich Owners don't give a damn about a lockout, they just don't want to revenue share and prop up failing franchises like Florida, Pheonix and so on. If they did care about salaries they wouldn't spend to the cap and sign Scott Hartnell to 6 year deals.

I was disinterested in the Bettman hate before but now it's clear that they don't have a plan and will never have a plan. The NHL is dangerously unprofessional, from the "suspension carousel" to the rampant nepotism to the perilously unorganized CBA negotiations - it's a joke of a league.

Good for the players and I hope this hurts Geoff Molson something fierce. He's filthy rich off of his daddy's beer money, he ramps up ticket prices every year way past inflation and he sells 10$ beers when he owns part of a beer manufacturer.

F him and F Dave Stubbs, maybe this lockout he'll learn something about hockey.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:54 AM
GoHomez

Please help me sort this out...
If the NHLPA is not a certified union i Quebec, can it still represent NHL players in Quebec?
Who is the counterpart, Montreal Canadiens or the NHL?
Why should the Habs deal with a non certified union, that's basically the Montreal Canadiens' players' social club, for Make Benefit Glorious Players of great hockey team Montreal Canadiens....

I dont get this, please help me out.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote