HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most underrated Ranger... by Rangers fans

Old
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Calad
Section 422

vCash: 500
Staal was only "underrated" because he was injured last season and wasn't able to play to his full potential for most, if not all of the year.

Brian Boyle is consistantly hated on and underrated by many fans. People look for him to be scoring 20-25 goals playing a shutdown role, and a damn good job at that. He consistantly plays some of the hardest minutes on our team (among forwards) and Torts rewards him appropriately.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Girardi. finally got some respect last season.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Marian Gaborik...so ridiculously underrated...and more importantly, under APPRECIATED.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:31 PM
BigDreamer

Dan Girardi i expect him to put up points like he did earlier in his career. i say 7 goals and 30 assist. He is also one of the most/best defensive defencmen on the team.

BigDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Edge

I'd say Staal. Right now McD is getting the shine, but we forget just how good Staal is when healthy and he's still only 25.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'll say Hagelin. His speed allows the team to do so many things. And his board play is solid.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Have to go with the multi time 40 goal scorer who everybody keeps trading in order to "make us a contender," or because he "doesn't fit"

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
I agree with the OP, the answer is definitely Staal. However, I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the phenomenal season that McDonagh and Girardi had.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:56 AM
h0ckeyman

It's Boyle but only because he gets so much hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Have to go with the multi time 40 goal scorer who everybody keeps trading in order to "make us a contender," or because he "doesn't fit"
Same one that disappears in big games, mostly playoffs?

h0ckeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2705
Easily Staal.

09-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Gaborik quite easily. When is the last time a Ranger scored 105 goals in 3 years? And yet he's in every trade proposal.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Rangerboy030

Brian Boyle, and in my opinion it's really not even close.

Sure, it would be awesome if this team were built as such that Boyle were a 4th liner, much in the same way that it is awesome that this team is built as such that (in all likelihood) one of either Gaborik or Nash will be a second liner; having that depth would be amazing, but you're not exactly in trouble if he plays the next line up.

Boyle is a solid 3rd line C who plays tough minutes against the best offensive players our opponents have and performs admirably.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Marian Gaborik...so ridiculously underrated...and more importantly, under APPRECIATED.
Possibly.

If so, I am definitely one of the perpetrators. And this is why. In Gabby, I've seen a player who can score around 40 goals in a season. But what I've not seen is a player who can have much positive impact on how a hockey game plays out. Ie, kind of like if you take a hockey game that you loose 3-2 and the shots are 33-29 after the team getting 33 shots on net having carried the momentum and being the "fair" winner of the game, Marian Gaborik could definitely be the difference, for the "loosing team", wheter that game ends 3-3 after 60 and goes to OT, but not so much have a big impact on the overall picture of the game.

He will get you the 40 goals, but not so much more.

And that's great, if he could get you those goals when it really matters. When we really need them. And on this topic, in this area, over the course of the last 3 seasons, looking at his play in NY, seeing his extremely low key performance for Slovakia on home ice in the WCH's, and so forth, there are many signs that there is a risk for the complete opposite. That he will disapear when it really matters.

I am 100% Torts is of the same opinion. This isn't just based on the PO's when he had hurt his shoulder. For a long time, Gabby has indicated that there is a risk for him stepping down when it really matters. And from a 7m franchise sniper -- you need the complete opposite. You really do.

With that said, Gabby has kind of been in a subpar environment. Gabby is also not like 35 y/o, he hasn't been in a contender environement before. Can he improve? Can he find a perfect environement and from that platform be that type of player who "wins you a PO series?".

Because anything else is not good. To have a 7m franchise sniper that cannot win you a PO series is far from optimal. And to be honest, from what I've seen so far, I would almost be suprised if we ever won a PO's series and the talk after it was like "NYR beat the NJD after Marian Gaborik put the team on his back and carried them to the [x] round".

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:35 AM
darko

Staalsy.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i'd probably say it's gaborik for rangers fans. some guys on here still complain about his playoff performance despite the well known severity of his injury that he played(pretty successfully considering) through... pretty sure somebody a few posts above me posted the playoff example...

i'd say it's staal for the rest of the league. just the other day i saw him called a #3/4 at best on most teams in the league which is just brutal. imo he challenges mcdonagh for a top pairing spot when healthy. very likely our best defenseman in the playoffs.

i don't think anybody really underrates boyle's defense, and his offense has never been proven (okay... one season it was good). boyle is only criticized as our 3C because he's a defense-first guy. we had a defensive 3rd line last season and our secondary scoring was abysmal at best. in order to correct secondary scoring a 'more' play-making oriented center such as JT miller(when ready) makes more sense than brian boyle.

i'm sure 'people' also wish boyle would take better advantage of that size of his and not be such a ***** sometimes.

OH!!!!!

AND STEPAN!

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:11 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Staal got to workout all summer like he normally would. He will be back to his old form, at least physically.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:36 AM
mullichicken25

at the momment its staal becuase of his injury and the phenominal year by both McD and Danny G

however...a few weeks ago it was Anisimov

he never got the recognition he deserved for the type of game he palyed...people expected him to be a dangling sniper, when he was infact an excellent two way player, and arguably the best nuetral zone player the team had

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Gaborik quite easily. When is the last time a Ranger scored 105 goals in 3 years? And yet he's in every trade proposal.
Agreed.

"He's always hurt" - (has played 220 goals in three seasons)
"He disappeared in playoffs" - (Playing with torn labrum and never says a word).

Now the naysayers complain about him not being tough enough and blocking shots...Really??

Fans complain about lack of scoring but continue to overlook one of the games best goal scorers who is already in our locker room.

Total mystery to me.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

1. Staal
2. Boyle
3. Girardi

09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Sticky Fingers

Gaborik, easily. The guy ends up 3rd in scoring with only Malkin/Stamkos ahead, playing through the playoff injured without complaining and still isn't appreciated by many.

And for the "torts doesn't like him" nonsens, why on earth would he give an injured player top three minutes (among forwards) during PO if he didn't believe that he has a great impact on the team?

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guy brings it on himself. He scores goals, but most of the time between the goals he disappears.

Hopefully now that Nash is around it won't matter as much, but come on, a lot of his criticism is warranted.

No one wants him to injure himself or throw his body infront of shots, but skate like you have some urgency.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
1. Staal
2. Boyle
3. Girardi
Yup. I'd slot Gabby in fourth, but I agree on the first three.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Rangerboy030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Guy brings it on himself. He scores goals, but most of the time between the goals he disappears.

Hopefully now that Nash is around it won't matter as much, but come on, a lot of his criticism is warranted.

No one wants him to injure himself or throw his body infront of shots, but skate like you have some urgency.

Well.... Yeah. That's his game. Gabby isn't like Kovalchuk or Ovechkin or (hopefully) Nash, who bulldoze their way through the opposition and are noticeable on every shift. Gabby is a ninja; he lets himself disappear so the D loses sight of him, and next thing you know he's in the slot with his stick in the air and the puck in the back of the net. Gabby's ability to go unnoticed is part of what makes him such a dangerous scoring threat.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Boyle.

Not because he is some great player or anything, but because he is a positive contributor that is absolutely hated by a lot of Ranger fans.

Staal is a close 2nd. People think hes expendable. Its laughable.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Boyle.

Not because he is some great player or anything, but because he is a positive contributor that is absolutely hated by a lot of Ranger fans.

Staal is a close 2nd. People think hes expendable. Its laughable.
i dont think staal is expendable...with that said, i think id trade anyone in the right deal. Staal for someone like shea weber? (we'd have to add more of course) that i would do....if we didnt already get nash...which we did...and it turned out to be a much better trade for us.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote