Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 02:40 AM
diceman934

vCash: 500
who were the strong Regina players in Peewee AA when they won?

Also who is the best goalie, D-man - forwards that they have returning or a strong minors, all info appreciated.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Superbowlfishca

Regina Sabres

Turner Ripplinger F
Chasten Sare F
Fraise Belanger F
Donavan Beaty D
Tanner Mckecknie F
Curtis Meager G
Really dont know much about the team as we never played them - we did play teams they beat - just got the info from Hockey Regina website but do know they had good depth and where very well coached.

Regina goes from 6 pee wee teams to 3 bantam teams so they should be fairly strong but I am not sure if they lost any key players.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:48 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
Turner Ripplinger F
Chasten Sare F
Fraise Belanger F
Donavan Beaty D
Tanner Mckecknie F
Curtis Meager G
Really dont know much about the team as we never played them - we did play teams they beat - just got the info from Hockey Regina website but do know they had good depth and where very well coached.

Regina goes from 6 pee wee teams to 3 bantam teams so they should be fairly strong but I am not sure if they lost any key players.

Regina wasn't strong last year in Bantam, icing teams at .292, .375 and .500 winning percentage.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:50 AM
JumboJakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
AAA Stars- Not even sure what to say here. I think as long the North Stars continue to keep doing well, the AAA program should do well but there is alot of growing up to do. They gotta either cut out all the political bullsh*t or at the very least, learn how to mask it better. I thought Marty was fired because he cut a Fransoo so taking on a first year Bantam girl this year should have made up for that. Right?
If you honestly believe Martin Smith was fired because he cut a kid from a family who has had success leaving north battleford minor hockey you are sadly mistaken. He either coached or was an aissistant coach for AAA teams that went a combined 44-126. I think that record speaks for the firing. You don't lose or fail at nearly two 3rds and still think you have a job. To bring back someone that was fired mere seasons ago and pair him with a guy who had no success and was fired from the girls team speaks volumes about both the AAA organization and the minor hockey organization. There has been severe problems in The North Battleford Minor Hockey Association for well over a dozen years. Same "old boys" club. Same garbage year after year after year at all levels. You can't blame some of these people as they are "volunteers" and you have to commend them some what for that but it is time for many of them to move on thou it may have already passed the point of no return as it would be nearly impossible to get any new blood into organization that has been badly mismanaged and has a mediocre reputation. Not exactly a ringing endorsement

Old
09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Superbowlfishca

REGINA Bantam - No soup reply

Yes traditionally they have not been strong but they are better in the 98 year. With ND taking many of the top players from some of the other Bantam AA programs they will be much more competitive this year especially in the south.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJakes View Post
If you honestly believe Martin Smith was fired because he cut a kid from a family who has had success leaving north battleford minor hockey you are sadly mistaken. He either coached or was an aissistant coach for AAA teams that went a combined 44-126. I think that record speaks for the firing. You don't lose or fail at nearly two 3rds and still think you have a job. To bring back someone that was fired mere seasons ago and pair him with a guy who had no success and was fired from the girls team speaks volumes about both the AAA organization and the minor hockey organization. There has been severe problems in The North Battleford Minor Hockey Association for well over a dozen years. Same "old boys" club. Same garbage year after year after year at all levels. You can't blame some of these people as they are "volunteers" and you have to commend them some what for that but it is time for many of them to move on thou it may have already passed the point of no return as it would be nearly impossible to get any new blood into organization that has been badly mismanaged and has a mediocre reputation. Not exactly a ringing endorsement
Sorry JumboJake, I should have edited my post better. Of course he got fired for the team just being plain lousy. They will be lousy this year as well. They will be lousy next year, and the year after that and so on and so on. They should be a better team because of the Jr A Stars, but that is not going to be the case. They will not have a winning AAA Team for the next three years at least.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
nah68

Agree west central will b strong, not quite sure how strong goaltending will be, the defense will obviously make them look good.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Superbowlfishca

Estevan Bantam AA Bruins

Just witnessed first 3 days of tryouts. Four returning players 2 Goalies 1F 1D looked very good but lost 3 other returnies to ND. Team looks like it will have trouble scoring goals and overall D looked weak. Forwards have speed but lack creativity and finish. I think this team will need goaltending to steal a few. Just seculative at this point because kids who move up to AA level need time to adjust to speed so anything can happen.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
nah68

watched 2 xgames this weekend, p.a vs vipers. understand vipers still looking to fill a few spots. Beat p.a 4 to 1, and 10 to 3. P.a will get better with Hobson coaching, they have alot of first years. Vipers forwards looked strong, and 4 guys sitting.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:24 AM
nah68

Also heard West Central beat N.B 3 to 1, of course these are x-games, teams will be different after final cuts are made.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Superbowlfishca

Pa - nah 68

Is Brooke Hobson playing for PA?? I have seen her play many times. Look out Canadian National Teams.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:17 AM
goteam

Quote:
Is Brooke Hobson playing for PA?? I have seen her play many times. Look out Canadian National Teams.
She's playing Female Midget AAA for PA.

Whichever college she decides to go to better have a joint golf/hockey scholarship available to her. She was the Saskatchewan Junior Girls Golf Champion this year at age 13.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteam View Post
She's playing Female Midget AAA for PA.

Whichever college she decides to go to better have a joint golf/hockey scholarship available to her. She was the Saskatchewan Junior Girls Golf Champion this year at age 13.
Mercyhurst would suit her needs.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:13 PM
nah68

watched x-game vipers vs NB Barons, close til third then sv took over winning 8-2.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
watched x-game vipers vs NB Barons, close til third then sv took over winning 8-2.
That may be the sign of the times for NB this year. With Flath they'll definitely compete but their D will ultimately be their demise. The forwards they have won't be good enough to score enough goals to make up for the slow weak D.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:10 AM
nah68

Quote:
That may be the sign of the times for NB this year. With Flath they'll definitely compete but their D will ultimately be their demise. The forwards they have won't be good enough to score enough goals to make up for the slow weak D.
I thought that would be the case to, but watched the second half of home and home, NB lost 8-4 with Flath in? Good goalies just can't stop everything

Old
09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Superbowlfishca

Wawaneesa Bantam AAA Hockey Tourney Sept 21-23

8 Teams in Tournament
Yorkton finished 8th with a record 1-3
Melville finished 7th with a record 2-2 – Beat Yorkton 4-3
Estevan finished 5th with a record 2-2 – Beat Yorkton 3-1
Note: Teams were not finalized and had to make cuts of between 6-10 players per team.

SK teams finished with a combined record of 3W-5L vs MB teams. Not bad when you consider SK runs Bantam AA programs. All games were close except Estevan lost to Pembina Valley 7-0 and Melville lost to SW 6-0 and these teams ended up in A final. Note Yorkton beat Pembina Valley 3-2.

MB runs BantamAAA league of 10 teams + two northern teams that compete in their show cases. That works out to 105,000 per capita per team.(WPG pop 700K or 175K per team)
SK runs Bantam AA league of 16 teams. Population without Saskatoon is 800k or 50K per team.(Sktn at 222k for 6 teams or 37k per team).
It may be an oversimplification but it appears SK is doing a good job of developing Bantam AA teams and players given the population that feeds these teams. I commend SHA for creating the Bantam AA hockey league.
Take note Sktn. Wpg hockey has left the cacoon to join a provincial Bantam AAA hockey league. That leaves Sktn as the only city to have a closed center Bantam AA hockey program in Western Cda.
I have not run the Alberta /BC numbers but note that Calgary and Edmonton are not closed hockey centers as their teams travel to play all other teams in the Alberta Bantam AAA league. Hopefully going forward the creation of this new SK Bantam AA league will make us more competitive with AB and MB. The goal is always to try to improve hockey development of our elite players .

Old
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
IDC

Quote:
I thought that would be the case to, but watched the second half of home and home, NB lost 8-4 with Flath in? Good goalies just can't stop everything
Yep, no doubt. I should rephrase a little on the NB "D". My last comment may have come across too harsh and I apologize. I think Mosimann will do okay but he's also the only one with any experience.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:24 PM
nah68

Quote:
Yep, no doubt. I should rephrase a little on the NB "D". My last comment may have come across too harsh and I apologize. I think Mosimann will do okay but he's also the only one with any experience.
No need to apologize, truth is d is weak. Doesn't mean all of them, just a few. And because its a team game thats the way it gets portrayed. Mossiman, and Mcdonald can play, its the other four that are suspect. But Sask valleys d also could be considered weak also, but offense seems potent enuff to make up for the weakness. There goalies also played very well.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
nah68

Quote:
8 Teams in Tournament
Yorkton finished 8th with a record 1-3
Melville finished 7th with a record 2-2 – Beat Yorkton 4-3
Estevan finished 5th with a record 2-2 – Beat Yorkton 3-1
Note: Teams were not finalized and had to make cuts of between 6-10 players per team.

SK teams finished with a combined record of 3W-5L vs MB teams. Not bad when you consider SK runs Bantam AA programs. All games were close except Estevan lost to Pembina Valley 7-0 and Melville lost to SW 6-0 and these teams ended up in A final. Note Yorkton beat Pembina Valley 3-2.

MB runs BantamAAA league of 10 teams + two northern teams that compete in their show cases. That works out to 105,000 per capita per team.(WPG pop 700K or 175K per team)
SK runs Bantam AA league of 16 teams. Population without Saskatoon is 800k or 50K per team.(Sktn at 222k for 6 teams or 37k per team).
It may be an oversimplification but it appears SK is doing a good job of developing Bantam AA teams and players given the population that feeds these teams. I commend SHA for creating the Bantam AA hockey league.
Take note Sktn. Wpg hockey has left the cacoon to join a provincial Bantam AAA hockey league. That leaves Sktn as the only city to have a closed center Bantam AA hockey program in Western Cda.
I have not run the Alberta /BC numbers but note that Calgary and Edmonton are not closed hockey centers as their teams travel to play all other teams in the Alberta Bantam AAA league. Hopefully going forward the creation of this new SK Bantam AA league will make us more competitive with AB and MB. The goal is always to try to improve hockey development of our elite players .
Well stated, in saskatoons case, its simply, they don't want to travel. Take note SMHA top players like Pilon,elder, and Ramsay have left to play elsewhere....why?

Old
09-24-2012, 09:24 PM
nah68

Biggest problem I see with SMHA is people don't want the travel. They have been within there borders for so long they cannot see past the city limit signs. We rural folks have been pushed to other centers by Sha, and travel has been apart of hockey forever. I wonder if some people in saskatoon don't like the fact that there kids may have to compete for 1/2 the positions if they joined the league? 51 spots instead of 102?

Old
09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
nosoup

Sask Valley is apparently going with 10 forwards and 7 D.

Anyone know how the other teams pre seasons are going?

Vipers 4-0
Barons 0-3
PA 0-2-1?
west central 1-1?
humbolt ?
melfort ?

Old
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
Sask Valley is apparently going with 10 forwards and 7 D.

Anyone know how the other teams pre seasons are going?

Vipers 4-0
Barons 0-3
PA 0-2-1?
west central 1-1?
humbolt ?
melfort ?
melfort lost 6-5 to P.A

Old
09-25-2012, 12:59 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Well stated, in saskatoons case, its simply, they don't want to travel. Take note SMHA top players like Pilon,elder, and Ramsay have left to play elsewhere....why?
Well, that's a fair question, I suppose. In the case of the former, it might have something to do with the father burning some bridges in the SMHA and that West Central has a guaranteed spot in Westerns. As for the latter two, I imagine they left for the same reasons as most have done in the past. Parents chasing NHL dreams in what is perceived a better developmental system. Or perhaps they wish their sons a unique hockey/life experience and have the funds to make it happen. Of course, if you're asking why they're leaving it's only right to ask why Prairie Storm's top three players left for Notre Dame. Or the kids from Estevan. And the one from Yorkton. Because if I'm wrong, and those kids left Saskatoon because it's a joke league, then what does it say about the Saskatchewan Bantam league? Just as an aside, ask some southern based coaches just how popular the Notre Dame program is with them.

As to the travel issue, that again is fairly put. I was raised on the farm. I had to travel 25 minutes one way to the nearest city center. I've had my share of white-knuckle rides through blizzards and frankly, I'm pretty damn happy I don't have to do that any more. So I'm not sure why Saskatoon parents would be derided for not wanting to go through that. Or the very real extra expense in what is already a financial burden for many. Or the very real extra time commitments for a sport that already demands much parental involvement. Perhaps the real villain in this piece is the SHA, who, as you said, have been pushing rural folks to other centers. Maybe they have an agenda?

Finally, I wouldn't put too much stock in the "half the positions" scenario. Frankly, there's plenty of other reasons for the Saskatoon community to have their backs up. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Saskatoon joins the Sask League, and sooner rather than later. The allure of Westerns and all.

Finally, have you considered what the consequences of three teams from Saskatoon would mean? That's a population of 80,000 per team to draw from. Saskatchewan has a population of 1.1 million. All you have to do is the math. Say goodbye to Humboldt. Likely West Central. One of Weyburn or Estevan. One of Melville or Yorkton. If travel is bad now, wait to you get a hold of this new AAA flavored league. Of course we'll at least be almost competitive with our Albertan and BC competitors at Westerns. You know, the two systems that we actually already out-perform with our AA develpomental system but for some reason our SHA executive wants to emulate.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Superbowlfishca

Reply to Dickie in Saskatoon

You make some good points regarding why Saskatoon parents do not want to leave their closed center environment. The financial concerns are real for some families.

As for the time commitment involved most parents who see that their child has a chance to develop at the elite level worry little about the time involved. It really has nothing to do with "chasing the NHL dream" as you put it. Quite frankly I am sick of those who oppose elite hockey programs, using that cliché as an argument against elite player development programs. We have to ask the big picture question as to why overall player development is important. First and most important giving a child the opportunity to learn about what is involved in trying to become the best they can be through hard work and perseverance is invaluable. It builds character. It prepares them for the next step in life which is striving to be the best they can be in future educational opportunities or a future occupation. Also there are many opportunities other than the NHL for people in hockey. There is the opportunity to get a university scholarship either the US or Cda. There is the opportunity to go play in Europe and see the world. It is more about developing the kids to have an opportunity to play major junior or tier1 junior if they so desire. There are opportunities to coach , or train, or agent in hockey. Hockey is an economic powerhouse in NA and those who control it want people with hockey desire working for them in it.

As for the travel in blizzards there is as much chance of getting in a serious accident on circle drive as there is on any highway in Saskatchewan.

I do agree that a “AAA” model would not work well in Saskatchewan given that our population base is spread widely throughout the province. MB’s population base is concentrated in the south hence a “southern” AAA league. They have expanded their development model to include three “showcases” through the hockey season that involves the “northern regions “who send “all-star” teams to these events. This model might be something SHA may want to consider adding to the current Sask First model. I don’t think the goal should be to compete with AB or BC or MB, nor do I think given our population base we will be able to compete unless you eliminate some programs. Eliminating an “Estevan” or “weyburn” or a “Humboldt” would be wrong at this moment. At least in south east Saskatchewan 99 % of the players from out of town travel less than 1 hour to practices and games. This is very difficult for the parents involved and anything more than this becomes insane.

I think Saskatoon should have 4 or 5 teams. First they have the population base to accommodate this but also to Saskatoon’s credit they do a very good job of developing players now. I would say probably this center does the best job of any program in the province of developing players. Much better than say Regina given their population base. I know some will say , ‘”if it isn’t broke why fix it.” This is a very good argument but to that I say it’s because the rest of the province needs Saskatoon as much as Saskatoon needs the rest of the province. We are a community and need to co-operate here to try to create the best hockey development program in the world.

Look at our Midget AAA league. I would say given our population base that this program is one of the best in Canada. And to Notre Dame I say. We need this kind of institution badly in Saskatchewan and keep up the good work.

Closed Thread