HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brayden Schenn to the Oilers?

Old
09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
Remember, Gretzky did play a season in the WHA in 1978-79.
If you watch games from back then you would know they were allowed to hit back then and they hadn't change the rules to promote scoring, if anything they changed the rules to handcuff the Oilers. DAChampion was referring to the NHL, not the WHA.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Gretzky came in after expansion and before the influx of European talent. That's how he has all the records.

Build a time machine, and any of Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, etc would match Gretzky if you sent them to 1978.
Build a time machine and bring a 22 year old Gretzy to today and he would still beat those guys point totals by 30. He was that good. Of course he would be training differently and playing at 15 pounds heavier for todays game. Back then you would not call him a "physical specimen" but with todays training and his brain and talent he would still be in a class by himself.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

I am going to assume that this was not a serious argument. If it was you do need to read post #208.
I guess I'll have to add a row or 2 of & to make some understand.

I'll keep that in mind.

Flyerfan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post

I'll keep that in mind.
Forgive us, you can read some things on hfboards the stupidity of which boggle the mind. It's hard to sort out who is and isn't serious.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
We wouldn't give up Brayden Schenn for Shea Weber. Do you have a better defenseman than Shea Weber? No? Then you will not get him.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Edmonton doesn't need Brayden Schenn, they have Sam Gagner.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
They're not exactly similar players.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:48 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
We wouldn't give up Brayden Schenn for Shea Weber. Do you have a better defenseman than Shea Weber? No? Then you will not get him.
Hahaha funny

MPStoEberletoHall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Build a time machine and bring a 22 year old Gretzy to today and he would still beat those guys point totals by 30. He was that good. Of course he would be training differently and playing at 15 pounds heavier for todays game. Back then you would not call him a "physical specimen" but with todays training and his brain and talent he would still be in a class by himself.
That doesn't make a lot of sense considering there's plenty of undersized players in today's game.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Are you being serious? You wouldn't give up Schenn for a Norris-calibre, top5 defender in the game?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:02 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
As in we who do you mean, because I bet 99.999999999999% of Philly fans and management would do that trade in a second.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Why wouldn't you? I mean, Weber will probably score more than Schenn in most seasons.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post

I'll keep that in mind.
The type of arguement you posted is actually very common on these boards. So as Giroux tha Damaja suggests, one simply never knows. I did suggest that I would assume you were not serious, but I still have no problem apologizing if you I mosread your intentions.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:37 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Why wouldn't you? I mean, Weber will probably score more than Schenn in most seasons.
I would. In a second.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
LOL...at the moment he would for sure!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
He's noting that, by most reports, the Flyers refused to include either Schenn or Couturier in pre-OS negotiations with Nashville for Weber. The Flyers also refused to include Schenn in discussions with Anaheim for Ryan, so they've been fairly consistent on that point.

That doesn't mean Schenn holds anywhere near Weber's value, of course, but the point isn't unreasonable--if the team was not willing to part with Schenn as the centerpiece for a Norris defenseman, they wouldn't likely do so fora collection of lesser parts from the Oilers.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Ciccio1980

Weber is worth more then schenn and couturier the flyers did not want to trade them because they thought they could get him for 4lousy picks

Ciccio1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Weber is worth more then schenn and couturier the flyers did not want to trade them because they thought they could get him for 4lousy picks
If the Flyers traded both of them away for Weber, who plays center for the Flyers in 2 years down the road. Yes we have Weber now, but we would have depleted our forward depth.

Homer really likes what he sees in Schenn. If he is not willing to part with the kid for any reason, makes me believe we have a special talent on our hands. From watching almost all the Flyers game and the ones Schenn played in, he is going to be a stud. Also if Homer doesn't want to trade Schenn you think he knows what the kid can become, I will take Holmgren's track record for producing young NHL stars over the opinion of HFboarders any day of the week. B. Schenn will b a 70-80 point player in this league soon, and he actually could eclipse that in his career year. The Flyers are bringing these kids along slowly.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If the Flyers traded both of them away for Weber, who plays center for the Flyers in 2 years down the road. Yes we have Weber now, but we would have depleted our forward depth.

Homer really likes what he sees in Schenn. If he is not willing to part with the kid for any reason, makes me believe we have a special talent on our hands. From watching almost all the Flyers game and the ones Schenn played in, he is going to be a stud. Also if Homer doesn't want to trade Schenn you think he knows what the kid can become, I will take Holmgren's track record for producing young NHL stars over the opinion of HFboarders any day of the week. B. Schenn will b a 70-80 point player in this league soon, and he actually could eclipse that in his career year. The Flyers are bringing these kids along slowly.
Doubtful that was the reasoning at all. In my eyes, trading 4 first round picks kinda contradicts that. I think he was just playing hardball knowing he had an ace in the hole (That turned out to be a jack).

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Doubtful that was the reasoning at all. In my eyes, trading 4 first round picks kinda contradicts that. I think he was just playing hardball knowing he had an ace in the hole (That turned out to be a jack).
How does trading 4 first rounders contradict that? If he traded those picks, we still have Schenn, Couts, and Laughton as centers for our team. If we trade Schenn and Couts we have Laughton in the minors and 4 first rounders who all are probably 2-3 years out from playing in the NHL. That trade doesn't make sense from a Flyers perspective. In 2 years our center depth would have been Giroux, an aging Briere, and maybe Laughton on the 3rd line. We could always make a trade for a center or free agency, but it's better to groom your own.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Couturier and Schenn are (together) worth more than 4 late first round picks--which is where Holmgren would have assumed the Flyers would be picking. (Their pick has been top-20 just once since 1994, in 2007).

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 09-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:35 AM
PayItForward

Quote:
Well Weber is arguably the best d-man in the league, so it's doubtful most teams have someone who comes close to his value. But that's not what they refused. Holmgren refused to trade Couturier PLUS Schenn PLUS for Weber. And yeah, that probably depletes the team a lot and at that point it's not really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
They aren't all that alike. Schenn's a lot more physical, something Edmonton could use.

Quote:
I'd drive Schenn to the airport for Weber, just like I'd do for 99% of the players on the team.

Last edited by PayItForward: 09-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote